Predict the summer window

GazTheLegend

What planet are you on?

There is as yet no football scheduled to be played, ergo no matchday revenue or TV money for 3 months.

Even if football starts we have still already missed 3 months which will roll into August and a new preseason timing

If there are any signings from any club I'd be shocked, football in Europe has a hole in the HUNDREDS of billions. My prediction is that a lot of players will leave clubs on frees unpaid and the market as we all see it now will change irrevocably. There is as yet no resolution to relegation or promotion rules is there? Lower League football was completely cancelled.

Absolutely mental to think about signings. We as a club will operate on a wait and see policy and see which players become free agents as their clubs die.

romufc

Indeed. Revenues were down nearly 20% in the six months to 31 December and we already owed £150m of transfer fees (all due this year) before we signed Fernandes. We'll probably be looking to break even this summer - it's a sell to buy scenario.
This is why I do not get why fans think we are immune from a recession or something. We have one of the highest wage bills, playing EL football and not competing for titles.

Our sponsorship money will be down soon, with clubs having to spend more money on different elements to get through this pandemic, I cannot see how teams will afford big signings or a big transfer fee.

We have sell to buy, which means our only asset really is Pogba. Not many teams will be out there wanting to spend £100m on him or even £10 on Lingard and Perreira.

We have to be realistic going into this summers window.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let’s get real, every summer people talking about 200-300m in, 100-150m out, it just won’t happen, especially not after this pandemic. I am not expecting anything more than 100m net spend, and I am not expecting more than 3 or 4 deadwoods would leave. It’s just pure fantasy.

The best we could hope for:

In
Sancho - 100m
Bellingham - 35m

Out
Smalling - 15m
Rojo - 5m
Lingard - 15m
Sanchez - loan out again, we will pay half his wage.

At worst, we may have to sell Pogba to fund Sancho transfer, or just keep Pogba and having Bellingham and add Ighalo as our only signings:

Fred Mctominay
Bruno
Sancho Martial Rashford

or

Fred Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood Martial Rashford​

Midfield backups: Matic, Mata, Bellingham

Last edited:

Saddy

These times are tragic but also present an opportunity to the Glazer family to have a "reinvestment" into the club as transfer prices must come down - we can afford to spend another 100M for the right long term assets it's a no brainer.

Sancho and Bellingham will be an excellent transfer window and then a straightforward replacement for Pogba if he leaves which must be 50/50 now - I personally still want him to go he's not fulfilled the Fee and hype imo

sparx99

I hope your prepared to be disappointed. No way will Utd spend over £200mill ever.
I think I said in a later comment it’s all a bit of fantasy. Most of the fun when it comes to transfer gossip isn’t it?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Most fans on here have no grasp on the reality we are facing. Plenty talking about getting Sancho, Grealish and Dembele. Hahahaha.

Been saying it all lock down. The window will be a dud. It might only last a few weeks too as the season will have to finish and the new one start pretty soon after. Not to forget all the lost revenue.

Dont get your hopes up guys. Its going to be a disappointing window for us but for all clubs too.

I think we could even be looking at only squad players coming in. Bellingham, a back up striker and back up CB to replace the outgoing ones. Sancho will stay at Dortmund for one more season is my gut feeling.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I suspect that any deals being done (the bigger ones) will mostly be loans with possibility to buy at a later date.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I suspect that any deals being done (the bigger ones) will mostly be loans with possibility to buy at a later date.
We've had it from pretty reliable sources already that Madrid, Barca and Juve won't be spending big money this summer. Bayern are apparently trying to offload a few to buy Sane for about 50 to 60m.

This will be reflected in the PL. I doubt any of the clubs will spend that big at all.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I think there’s two main scenarios. Sancho priority gamble and sensible financial choice (more realistic).

Sancho Gamble:
Sancho ~ £92m guaranteed fee (not paid all upfront) with £30-40m ons including CL qualification clause.

Ighalo ~ £10m

Bellingham ~ £25m guaranteed fee £5-10m add ons

Sensible realistic window:
Dembele or similar ~ £35m

Bellingham ~ £25m (as above)

Sancho 2021 ~ £92m (as above)

SpyLuke10

Why is that? He's a bleeding kid and doesn't look like signing a new deal anytime soon. He will leave next summer for sure and we will among only a few clubs who can afford that on one player.
just feels like that griezmann window or the perisic window (i think that was the same one actually). Where if it doesn't happen now its less likely to happen in future windows.

SpyLuke10

tbh I'm not expecting anything more this window than (numbers in pounds) -

IN: Sancho (95M + add ons) and Bellingham (20M + add ons).

OUT: Smalling (15M), Lingard (10M), Rojo (2-3M) and Sanchez (on loan again where we'll pay half his wages still).

Henderson on loan again and #PogStay

Probably Joel Pereira leaving as well.

SpyLuke10

He was pre Covid. He’s not now. He will never be sold for move than £5m.
if hes worth 30% of his pre covid price then he wont be sold. Theres no way united sell him that cheap. 10M pounds is as cheap as I see them going down to.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
if hes worth 30% of his pre covid price then he wont be sold. Theres no way united sell him that cheap. 10M pounds is as cheap as I see them going down to.
I don’t think you appreciate the severity of the Recession that’s coming.

His wages will cost £15m for two years. Allowing him to leave for free allows another club to pay him a solid wage. Nobody is buying him for £15m and adding wages on top. We can’t pay him to never play for us.

RkkMan

If you look over the last few summers, even though our gross spend has been high, the net spend is relatively low.

We have also spend £50m in Jan which reduces the budget. No CL will damage finances even more. With so much uncertainty for the next year, the club might not spend that.

Woodward has said alot of things, you must be quite naive to take his words literally.
Woodward has been talking less shit over the last year compared to 2014-2016/2017 go look at an interview he gave sometime last year when he was receiving relentless criticism from fans and looking at things now he was right about several stuff then.
The season isn`t complete yet we could still qualify for CL football don`t pessimistically rule us out so quickly.
Our low net spend in 2018 was an anomaly due to how the board were losing faith in Jose`s philosophy we only made 2 buys that year. Last year we were lucky to have sold Lukaku we would have still spent 150m IMO.
Yeah we spent in January and I`m not expecting a big summer but a realistic one of 3/4 buys. Bellingham looks nailed on that`s a CM, with Ighalo going all these links to CFs shows we`ll improve there(not expecting a CF over 40m) and talk of Sancho and a back up option(Matondo) for the RW so thats 3 positions that looked nailed on. Smalling and Rojo(his current club have publicly said they want to extend his loan) look likely to go and possibly Jones if all 3 go we`ll defo buy a CB. Add possibly Dalot, Lingard and Alexis(loan) we will still have made enough sales to have a net spend below 100m. Its even been highlighted by several financial experts that Utd are one of the few PL clubs best positioned to spend in the market due to the number of sponsorships we have don`t directly relate to revenue generated from the PL. If were heavily dependent on PL revenue like most clubs it would be another story.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
tbh I'm not expecting anything more this window than (numbers in pounds) -

IN: Sancho (95M + add ons) and Bellingham (20M + add ons).

OUT: Smalling (15M), Lingard (10M), Rojo (2-3M) and Sanchez (on loan again where we'll pay half his wages still).

Henderson on loan again and #PogStay

Probably Joel Pereira leaving as well.
That's a 100m net summer window on the back of covid. Doubtful. We didn't even spend 100m net last summer.

Baneofthegame

Ideally just Sancho, Bellingham and loan a striker.

Sell: Jones, Lingard, Rojo.

Even that’s a big stretch in our current climate.

De Gea/Henderson
Shaw/Williams
Maguire/Smalling
Lindelof/Bailly
AWB/Dalot
Fred/Matic
Pogba/McSauce
Bruno/Bellingham
Rashford/James
Martial/Loan Option
Sancho/Greenwood

RkkMan

Ideally just Sancho, Bellingham and loan a striker.

Sell: Jones, Lingard, Rojo.

Even that’s a big stretch in our current climate.

De Gea/Henderson
Shaw/Williams
Maguire/Smalling
Lindelof/Bailly
AWB/Dalot
Fred/Matic
Pogba/McSauce
Bruno/Bellingham
Rashford/James
Martial/Loan Option
Sancho/Greenwood
Smalling won`t be a Utd player Ole doesn`t rate him due to his ability on the ball and his good season at Roma will generate market for him. Surprised people here think he will stick around.

Baneofthegame

Smalling won`t be a Utd player Ole doesn`t rate him due to his ability on the ball and his good season at Roma will generate market for him. Surprised people here think he will stick around.
Well Ole has given different players second chances, think Smalling given our CB depth would be fine to stay there for a year and maybe move on afterwards.

Agreed that he is probably the most likely to generate interest considering the crisis.

RkkMan

Well Ole has given different players second chances, think Smalling given our CB depth would be fine to stay there for a year and maybe move on afterwards.

Agreed that he is probably the most likely to generate interest considering the crisis.
He left because Ole viewed him as a back up and he wanted to be a starter otherwise he would have stayed and there has been nothing to suggest he will want to be anything but a "depth" player after the season he`s had and he`s not starting over a fully fit Bailly or Lindelof as long as Ole is around due to how he values building from the back.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
In
Sancho £100m
Grealish £40m
Bellingham £40m
Upamecano £40m

£220m

Out
Pogba £90m
Jones £10m
Smalling £10m
Rojo £5m
Pereira £5m

£120m

NoPace

De Gea/Romero
Shaw/LB
Maguire/Lindelof
CB/Bailly
AWB/Williams
Fred/Matic
Pogba/McTominay
Bruno/#10
Rashford/James
Martial/Greenwood
Sancho/James

We could have a really strong squad with just 4 signings and shipping out Pereira, Lingard, Smalling, Jones and Rojo and loaning out Dalot and Henderson to get full seasons starting.

I don't see why 4 signings is so impossible considering there will be teams in dire financial distress desperate to get some money in.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
If there are any signings from any club I'd be shocked, football in Europe has a hole in the HUNDREDS of billions.
Do you have a source for this number?

The football transfer market is surely going to change, but players will still be moving. Not at same rate as usual and not for the same amount of money.

Businesses should be encouraged to invest to get the economy rolling again. Investment = growth. The football world needs spenders on the market more than ever before as many teams are going to struggle with their current salary costs, which have been agreed in a time when there was more money available to spend. Get the money moving!

On thursday United is going to release their result for the quarter and maybe we can get a small glimpse of what has happened to our finances, even though only the three first weeks of lockdown is included in the report.

Let’s just wait and see how cruicial all those noodle sponsors are after all.

Sancho and Bellingham in is still just perfect for me.

Infra-red

On thursday United is going to release their result for the quarter and maybe we can get a small glimpse of what has happened to our finances, even though only the three first weeks of lockdown is included in the report.

Let’s just wait and see how cruicial all those noodle sponsors are after all.
The results for 2Q showed revenues down by 20% and £150m of outstanding transfer fees due this year. That already meant we had a quiet summer ahead.

Since then we've had the Fernandes deal and the impact of COVID-19...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The results for 2Q showed revenues down by 20% and £150m of outstanding transfer fees due this year. That already meant we had a quiet summer ahead.

Stop hitting these fifa players with facts my friend.

There's going to be some mass muppet suicide on here again if and when we get a summer window. I tend to agree that our money situation isn't great. People aren't grasping the damage this virus will cause. Add that to the debt and huge money we still owe clubs I think we are heading for a quiet window.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Stop hitting these fifa players with facts my friend.

There's going to be some mass muppet suicide on here again if and when we get a summer window. I tend to agree that our money situation isn't great. People aren't grasping the damage this virus will cause. Add that to the debt and huge money we still owe clubs I think we are heading for a quiet window.
Well just wait to get Mbappe on a free then.

Chairman Woodie

I doubt there will be any major signings.

The signing of Fernandes in January and the financial impact of COVID-19 means we might be in for a quiet summer.

RkkMan

Nobody sensible is disputing big money buys are very unlikely my problem is those who think we won`t spend at all or will only be spending low ball fees like 50-70m we will still make our usual 3/4 buys but with players that will cost low fees IMO like Rodon(15/20m) Bellingham(30m) Dembele(40m) Matondo(20/25m)type buys since I also think Sancho stays at BVB for another season. The outstanding transfer debts is something we`ve had for a while and its never stopped us from spending don`t think that particular aspect is a huge cause for worry.

romufc

Woodward has been talking less shit over the last year compared to 2014-2016/2017 go look at an interview he gave sometime last year when he was receiving relentless criticism from fans and looking at things now he was right about several stuff then.
The season isn`t complete yet we could still qualify for CL football don`t pessimistically rule us out so quickly.
Our low net spend in 2018 was an anomaly due to how the board were losing faith in Jose`s philosophy we only made 2 buys that year. Last year we were lucky to have sold Lukaku we would have still spent 150m IMO.
Yeah we spent in January and I`m not expecting a big summer but a realistic one of 3/4 buys. Bellingham looks nailed on that`s a CM, with Ighalo going all these links to CFs shows we`ll improve there(not expecting a CF over 40m) and talk of Sancho and a back up option(Matondo) for the RW so thats 3 positions that looked nailed on. Smalling and Rojo(his current club have publicly said they want to extend his loan) look likely to go and possibly Jones if all 3 go we`ll defo buy a CB. Add possibly Dalot, Lingard and Alexis(loan) we will still have made enough sales to have a net spend below 100m. Its even been highlighted by several financial experts that Utd are one of the few PL clubs best positioned to spend in the market due to the number of sponsorships we have don`t directly relate to revenue generated from the PL. If were heavily dependent on PL revenue like most clubs it would be another story.
Woodward will do anything to appease the fans in order to get season tickets in. If you say he talks less shit, but a year ago they were looking for a DoF? now we are not.

In the case for Jose, they gave him a contract 2 months prior to the summer window, that to me is not losing confidence in a manager.

You say that but it is hardly surprising that Maguire fee got agreed once Inter decided they will take Lukaku. If we were going to spend that money, we would have done so earlier in the summer.

Bondi77

Nobody sensible is disputing big money buys are very unlikely my problem is those who think we won`t spend at all or will only be spending low ball fees like 50-70m we will still make our usual 3/4 buys but with players that will cost low fees IMO like Rodon(15/20m) Bellingham(30m) Dembele(40m) Matondo(20/25m)type buys since I also think Sancho stays at BVB for another season. The outstanding transfer debts is something we`ve had for a while and its never stopped us from spending don`t think that particular aspect is a huge cause for worry.
Just wondering,
Have you watched Rodon and Matondo play and if so what do they offer that Axel and Daniel James do not?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
OUT:
Jones-》 midtable PL club for 10-15 mil
Smalling -》Spurs or Everton for 20-25 mil
Alexis -》loan
Rojo -》 loan

IN:
Ighalo- loan
Sancho- 100mil. But i don't believe in that much.