Predict the summer window

Edy2

These times are tragic but also present an opportunity to the Glazer family to have a "reinvestment" into the club as transfer prices must come down - we can afford to spend another 100M for the right long term assets it's a no brainer.

Sancho and Bellingham will be an excellent transfer window and then a straightforward replacement for Pogba if he leaves which must be 50/50 now - I personally still want him to go he's not fulfilled the Fee and hype imo
His replacement is already here.

Macedonian Red

I’ll have a smoke of whatever you’ve had as that’s a pipe dream if ever I saw one!

Do you honestly believe that is achievable?
Haha

Before this covid virus its realistic, why not? Real Madrid spend 300m one year ago.

Sancho 100
Jimenez 60
Grealish 80
Upamecano 40

Out
Lingard 20
Smalling 30
Pereira 10
Sanchez 10
Jones 10
Rojo 10
Mata 10

Net spend around 200m.

Its more dificult to sell all deadwoods then to buy those four.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Haha

Before this covid virus its realistic, why not? Real Madrid spend 300m one year ago.

Sancho 100
Jimenez 60
Grealish 80
Upamecano 40

Out
Lingard 20
Smalling 30
Pereira 10
Sanchez 10
Jones 10
Rojo 10
Mata 10

Net spend around 200m.

Its more dificult to sell all deadwoods then to buy those four.
So to be clear you think we’ll have a record transfer spend and net spend? Jesus. Look at our history without a global financial crisis compared to your proposal and you may if very observant notice an outlier

YOUR PROPOSAL 20/21
PLAYERS IN £280m
PLAYERS OUT £100m
NET SPEND £180m

19/20
PLAYERS IN £192.6m
PLAYERS OUT £64.78m
NET SPEND - £127.82m

18/19
IN £74.43m
OUT £27.5m
NET £46.93m

17/18
IN £178.56m
OUT £40.95m
NET £137.61m

16/17
IN £166.5m
OUT £42.53m
NET £123.97m

15/16
IN £140.4m
OUT £91.86m
NET £48.54m

14/15
IN £175.82m
OUT £44.33m
NET £132.49

13/14
IN £69.42m
OUT £1.62m
NET £67.8m

Now this is without addressing the reality of the fees we would buy and sell for which to be fair I think the fees bought aren’t too bad (in terms of reality) but the sales...£30m for Smalling? £10m Sanchez? A fee for Lingard?

I may be joking a bit here but seriously it won’t happen it can’t happen and it shouldn’t happen that would be financially suicidal in this climate. I think optimistically a spend of £150m is the max we’ll muster.

TrebleFan99

This post is wall to wall mental.

Who the hell will have £40m to spend on Henderson?!?

Smalling is more likely to leave for free than £15m.

I’d be amazed if we spent £50m net this summer. It wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t buy anyone.

I think the January window will be bigger than the summer window for most clubs. Nobody is going to shell out millions right now.
If you think big clubs won’t be spending in the next transfer window you’re in for a surprise. Not everybody is going bankrupt. That thinking is ‘mental‘ to use your words.

As for Henderson, he was having a great season with the Blades and IMO is equal to, if not the best English keeper at the moment. IF he's sold the fee won’t be far off what I guessed. He’s English, PL proven, 23 years old. Look at what other keepers have been sold for. Let‘s wait and see on this.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
If you think big clubs won’t be spending in the next transfer window you’re in for a surprise. Not everybody is going bankrupt. That thinking is ‘mental‘ to use your words.

As for Henderson, he was having a great season with the Blades and IMO is equal to, if not the best English keeper at the moment. IF he's sold the fee won’t be far off what I guessed. He’s English, PL proven, 23 years old. Look at what other keepers have been sold for. Let‘s wait and see on this.
I can’t see it. You could be right though.

I don’t think more than 3-5 teams will be buying outfield players for more than £30. I don’t think any of them will be able to afford a mostly unproven goalkeeper for £40m.

romufc

I don’t think more than 3-5 teams will be buying outfield players for more than £30. I don’t think any of them will be able to afford a mostly unproven goalkeeper for £40m.
Unrpoven? So does playing for SU in the championship and PL not count?

Macedonian Red

So to be clear you think we’ll have a record transfer spend and net spend? Jesus. Look at our history without a global financial crisis compared to your proposal and you may if very observant notice an outlier

YOUR PROPOSAL 20/21
PLAYERS IN £280m
PLAYERS OUT £100m
NET SPEND £180m

19/20
PLAYERS IN £192.6m
PLAYERS OUT £64.78m
NET SPEND - £127.82m

18/19
IN £74.43m
OUT £27.5m
NET £46.93m

17/18
IN £178.56m
OUT £40.95m
NET £137.61m

16/17
IN £166.5m
OUT £42.53m
NET £123.97m

15/16
IN £140.4m
OUT £91.86m
NET £48.54m

14/15
IN £175.82m
OUT £44.33m
NET £132.49

13/14
IN £69.42m
OUT £1.62m
NET £67.8m

Now this is without addressing the reality of the fees we would buy and sell for which to be fair I think the fees bought aren’t too bad (in terms of reality) but the sales...£30m for Smalling? £10m Sanchez? A fee for Lingard?

I may be joking a bit here but seriously it won’t happen it can’t happen and it shouldn’t happen that would be financially suicidal in this climate. I think optimistically a spend of £150m is the max we’ll muster.
As I said, BEFORE Covid. I dont really expect in this situation someone to spend that much. But 180m net spend is number which club as United can afford.

Reports says United want 25-30m for Smalling, around 12.5m for Alexis and dont forget lingard is home grown player, mid table teams will glad to have him. I dont guarantie United will get that money, but for god sake, liverpool sold fookin Solanke for 25m.

Gopher Brown

I think we’d be absolutely insane to spend large amounts of money this summer, not knowing if next season can even happen, or if it does, what football will look like in the future - can clubs even continue without revenue from season ticket sales or other match day receipts?

I firmly predict no transfers in and maybe only a couple out. We might renew Ighalo’s loan, but that would be it.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think we’d be absolutely insane to spend large amounts of money this summer, not knowing if next season can even happen, or if it does, what football will look like in the future - can clubs even continue without revenue from season ticket sales or other match day receipts?

I firmly predict no transfers in and maybe only a couple out. We might renew Ighalo’s loan, but that would be it.
There'll be alot of loans this market.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As I said, BEFORE Covid. I dont really expect in this situation someone to spend that much. But 180m net spend is number which club as United can afford.

Reports says United want 25-30m for Smalling, around 12.5m for Alexis and dont forget lingard is home grown player, mid table teams will glad to have him. I dont guarantie United will get that money, but for god sake, liverpool sold fookin Solanke for 25m.
Bournemouth has been stupid enough to purchase average players with that fees, the same thing what they did on Ibe which should tell you that their transfer history wasn't that good. So just because they did it, doesn't mean other clubs will follow the same. And beside, they paid big fees on Ibe & Solanke because they were at young age, you can't compare it to someone like Smalling, Alexis & Lingard.

May be if Smalling & Lingard are still 22-24 years old then I can see us selling for 30m+. When signing players club consider it as investment, could last for long term or they believe they can sell the players in the future for bigger fees. So it's not just purchase and playing them regularly, there are other factors they will consider.

At the end of the day no one will spend 25m-30m on 31 years old centre back. And we'll be lucky enough to even find a buyer who wants to pay for Sanchez's wages and very unlikely we'll see clubs will pay 27/28 years old Lingard's current transfer value since the guy hasn't score one goal for more than a year. The best possible we will expect this summer after the virus is loan deal again or selling them cheap.

eltigreFalcao

With money bleeding out of football clubs all over the world, even the big dogs as we are, I predict very little trasnfer activity, with loans and swaps deals being the mayority of that activity. Top clubs will lower their usual demand of new and expensive players due to the uncertainty of the financial well being of the organisations, and middle to small clubs will be aiming to sell as much as possible to cover for the money losses. That will bring transfer fees down dramatically, so big clubs, such as Dormundt for instance, wont be selling prized assets to lower fees, although we might see some surprises in that regard. Also United has an army of deadwood and a reasonable squad depth, so maybe the priority will be selling rather than buying.

That being said, I predict a window as follows:

On departures:
Joel
Pereira: not being considered by the manager, will be a cheap sell on about 5M pounds.
Rojo: doesnt want to be here anymore and we don't really need him. Either a loan or a cheap sell in the region of the 10M pounds.
Smalling
: as it stands right now, Roma is looking elsewhere to purchase a first XI center back, but he's an obvious candidate as he has been very good for them. Wouldn't mind him staying but, as some are saying, he's one that can be "profitable" given the circumstances. 15-20M pounds wouln't be that crazy.
Bailly: I see this one only if an out of the blue opportunity arises, such as a swap deal for a big shot in the likes of Koulibaly, or if a crazy buyer comes in with a 30M or so check. As per Phil Jones, as much as I see him as a second division player, no one's going to knock the door for him, sadly. Very unlikely.
Gomes: painfully hes coming out of the door for free in front of our eyes. I whish I'm mistaken on this one, but there are no signs of him staying put.
Lingard/Pereira: I cant see any club interested in paying money for any of these two. But given Lingard's appointment of Raiola, we might have seen the last bits of his ManUtd career. Whish them both gone. Fee in the region of 20-25M punts.
Sanchez: not sure at all we manage to offload him either on loan or permanently, but wouldnt mind keeping him as we wont be buying big guns for the attacking end of the squad.
LOANS: Garner, maybe, or any of the reserves if its deemed correct for their progress.

OUT: 50-60M

On Incomings:
Grealish:
with Aston Villa facing relegation and a huge financial blow, the'll be desperate to sell. The man seems to fancy playing for us and could be a very interesting addition to the squad. Given the situation, a 40M pounds bid could bring him in.
Bellingham: One for the future, just like Garner, Levitt, Puigmal, Traore, Mejbri et al. Seems less likely to me this one given Ole's interest in breeding talent from the academy, but nevertheless a prospect that can achieve enormous glory if he get's to the potential everyone seems to crave. 30-35M pounds would be a no brainer for a small club needing to sell. We could see a loan back for a year, as a sweetener, as I dont see him walking in the fisrt team straight away.
Sancho: definitely not coming this window, but I seriously keep hope in him coming in the future, most likely the next transfer window, when he closes in the last year or so of his contract. Nowdays players are playing the "let the contract run down" game to get better personal deals, and that could do very well for us
Ighalo: depends on his wage demands, is an easy pick for a second or third choice CF, and a deal of 10-15M punds is very likely if he pushes it through.

IN: 80-90M
Net spent: 30M

2020/2021(?) squad:
GK:
De Gea, Romero, Henderson
DF: Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones, Fosu-Mensah, Dalot, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Williams
MF: Matic, Fred, Pogba, Bruno, McTomminay, Grealish, Mata, James, Pereira, Bellingham (?)
FW: Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Sanchez, Ighalo, Chong.
Reserves: Laird, Taylor, Bernard, Mengi, Puigmal, Gailbraith, Levitt, Hamilton, Traore, Barlow, Iqbal, Mejbri, Mellor, Mejia, Hoogewerf, Elanga

Last edited:

RalphieMilneLegend

On departures:
Joel
Pereira: not being considered by the manager, will be a cheap sell on about 5M pounds.
You're honestly having yourself on with that one. Anyone spending even 5% of that on him, would be ridiculed by anyone who's watched Scottish football in the last year. And rightfully so.

Go have a look at a Hearts forum and see what they think of Pereira, seriously, do it. It's not overstating it to say a lot of Hearts fans would consider him to be one of the worst keepers in their history. His inability to save even basic shots or have any sort of command of his area is a massive part of why Hearts have been relegated.

He's worth absolutely nothing, as anyone who's watched him play would attest to.

Craig Ward

Really fearful the lack of outgoings will hinder our squad development this summer.

I mean, Woodward struggles to get deals done at the best of times yet alone in these times.

We will still have money to spend, probably not as much as we'd like but without some sales we could be looking at a similar squad to what we currently have.

I would say the below either need to be sold, or are surplus to requirements and would be available if we signed new players:
Joel Perieria
Lee Grant
Marcus Rojo
Phil Jones
Eric Bailly
Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Chris Smalling
Jessie Lingard
Andreas Periera
Alexis Sanchez
Paul Pogba (putting him in as he's angled for a move etc)

There's no way we sell all of the above in this window, and we may even struggle to get loan deals. Sanchez has bombed on loan and Pogba will probably be too expensive. We are already valuing Smalling too high for Roma, despite him doing well there and Jones/Lingard are on sky high wages which means the clubs they are good enough to play for will struggle to pay them and they're unlikely to take a drop in pay.

I've always said to transition this squad, the outgoings are just as important. We've had an awful overall squad since Fergie was here and each manager bar Ole has made it a little worse. I'd personally be happy to just let Sanchez/Jones go without a fee and hopefully take lower fee's for Smalling/Lingard just to get them out of the club

kirk buttercup

In :
Sancho
Bellingham
Grealish
Timo Werner
Partey

Out :
Sanchez
Smalling
Pereira
Lingard
Chong
Rojo

Never gonna happen

But feck it go big or go home .

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In: Ighalo loan, Grealish 65m
Out: Pogba 75m, Sanchez loan

Given how we usually do business (overpaid and sell cheaply), and how the whole market were affected by pandemic, I think that’s about what we could get.

RkkMan

In: Ighalo loan, Grealish 65m
Out: Pogba 75m, Sanchez loan

Given how we usually do business (overpaid and sell cheaply), and how the whole market were affected by pandemic, I think that’s about what we could get.
No club can afford Pogba this summer and I`m pretty sure Rojo, TFM, Lingard and Sanchez(loan) will all go as well and there is no way Grealish goes for 65m in this market no way. An extra 20m gets you Sancho anyway.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No club can afford Pogba this summer and I`m pretty sure Rojo, TFM, Lingard and Sanchez(loan) will all go as well and there is no way Grealish goes for 65m in this market no way. An extra 20m gets you Sancho anyway.
Thats what I thought in last 2 summers too. Good luck.

eltigreFalcao

You're honestly having yourself on with that one. Anyone spending even 5% of that on him, would be ridiculed by anyone who's watched Scottish football in the last year. And rightfully so.

Go have a look at a Hearts forum and see what they think of Pereira, seriously, do it. It's not overstating it to say a lot of Hearts fans would consider him to be one of the worst keepers in their history. His inability to save even basic shots or have any sort of command of his area is a massive part of why Hearts have been relegated.

He's worth absolutely nothing, as anyone who's watched him play would attest to.
Yeah maybe you're right, didn't put too much thinking into it. He's gone anyways

Luciano Venturini

I think we will go for Sancho at the most we possibly can, don’t ask you don’t get. If Pogba stays I can’t see how we’d go for Grealish. Bellingham and Sancho in with Ighalo now looking like he is staying until January.

One thing that has bugged me for years with United is how we never really recoup good money for players leaving the club. It’s something that we will have to get right in the summer if we want to get the right players in.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Now that we've extended Ighalo's loan. I don't think it's unrealistic to say we would get Sancho and Bellingham and call it a day

Manutd1990

Yeah, it will be Sancho, Bellingham, and Joe Rodon from swansea, if we can move on jones, rojo, smalling..

tenpoless

In :
Sancho
Bellingham
Grealish
Timo Werner
Partey

Out :
Sanchez
Smalling
Pereira
Lingard

Chong
Rojo

Never gonna happen

But feck it go big or go home .
It's so unfair because We have the top 3 hardest to sell players. I'd be happy with selling one of Lingard or Pereira. Extremely happy in fact. Sanchez who would pay his wages for being useless?

Lynty

Given the pandemic, if the only player we bring in is Sancho, that would be a good window. Keep Pogba it would be excellent. Anything on top of that we're in dreamland.

kirk buttercup

It's so unfair because We have the top 3 hardest to sell players. I'd be happy with selling one of Lingard or Pereira. Extremely happy in fact. Sanchez who would pay his wages for being useless?
Lingard might end up in italy in the Serie A similiar to Young and Smalling and might even do ok there . Fingers crossed

Mani

Lingard might end up in italy in the Serie A similiar to Young and Smalling and might even do ok there . Fingers crossed
With Raiola as his agent anything is possible, he could easily end up at some mid table club in Serie A.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Some of the transfers depend on winning the Europa League / FA Cup (prize money in both cases) and also a top 4 fininsh.
  • In, Sancho 90-100M (I think the price will be haggled to around that fee, with potential add ons)
  • In, Grealish 40M (done deal and Villa will be relegated, they'll respect his wishes and let him transfer, he isn't worth more than 45-50 in the current market, and I think Grealish would choose united, so the deal will be around 40M)
  • A CB around 50-70M if the money is there, (depending on if United win the FA cup and Europa League and top 4 finish) if not they may agree a loan deal with 'A mandatory buy the following summer at x price'

Out
Smalling 15M (Roma)
Jones 8M (a club like everton)
Pereira 10M (spain/italy)
Lingard 12M (good business for a mid/low table team, or a newly promoted team)
Rojo 5M (South america/portugal)
Sanchez 15M (inter)

Promote (for defensive options if there's a 2-3 goal scorelead, just to rest senior players)
Fosu-Mensah
Axel-Tuanzebe
Teden Mengi

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In
Sancho - £85m
Grealish - £45m
Backup CB (not a big name like Godfrey for example) £15-20m
Ighalo - £10-15m in Jan

Out
Lingard - £20m or loan
Alexis - £15m
Smalling - £15m
Mata - £5-10m
Rojo - £5-10m
Dalot - Loan

Can’t see us shifting Jones & I think Ole will keep Pereira around. Sancho & Grealish will be Mata & Lingard’s replacements. The backup CB will replace Smalling & Rojo and essentially be 3rd choice given Bailly, Jones & Tuanzebe’s injuries.