Predict when United will spend £100m+ on a player

OleBoiii

For the time being, it seems like it's mainly attacking players that cost 100 million or more.

Since we have Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani, Sancho, Bruno and Martial(heh), and Haaland probably is our main target next summer, I reckon it will take at least 3 years.

reddyornot

Jack Grealish due to Manchester City being relegated to unforeseen circumstances.

Walters_19_MuFc

God knows. Typically, it's attacking players who cost that much money. Looking at our attacking talent, we seem pretty set. Yes, we're going to need a striker next season and if that player is Haaland, then his buy-out clause won't put him in the 100+ category.

We'll need a midfielder to replace Matic and potentially Pogba but even then I don't think there's any midfielder out there worth 100M - not even Bellingham.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It seems to be the thing now. Grealish, Kane and Lukaku (lol) all potentially moving to PL teams for £100m+ this summer.

United will at least have to break their own record transfer fee and the £100m barrier in the next couple of years as it’s what teams will demand for the top players.

But when and who?
its mental.
Especially in Covid times
FFP me arse

Bondi77

Kane goes to Citeh and Lukaku goes to Chelski this season then I would imagine us spending big on Haaland next season would be at least driven heavily by the media.
It will be interesting to see if he carries on scoring in the goal/assist friendly League they call the Bundesliga this season without his buddy as that will have some influence on the price I should imagine.

Red Stone

Probably Haaland, but because of the release clause the remaining money will be split between the player himself and his fat thundercnut of an agent. The signing bonuses are going to be fecking ginormous regardless of who he signs for.

SAFMUTD

Haalands got a release clause, how the feck is there anyone who still isn't aware of this now?
Anyone thinking Haaland transfer will cost anything below 100M is mad, sure Dortmunds clause may be 75 or whatever but rumors is Riaola is asking for 40M for himself and Alfie Haaland is asking for another 15M.

Fridge chutney

Probably Haaland, but because of the release clause the remaining money will be split between the player himself and his fat thundercnut of an agent. The signing bonuses are going to be fecking ginormous regardless of who he signs for.
There could still be a bidding war to push the transfer price above the release clause. Although you are probably right with respect to the bolded. Regardless, if United have a shot at getting him, then it could very well cost £100M prior to wages.

Denis79

It seems to be the thing now. Grealish, Kane and Lukaku (lol) all potentially moving to PL teams for £100m+ this summer.

United will at least have to break their own record transfer fee and the £100m barrier in the next couple of years as it’s what teams will demand for the top players.

But when and who?
Sancho is a 100M player imo.

Red Stone

There could still be a bidding war to push the transfer price above the release clause. Although you are probably right with respect to the bolded. Regardless, if United have a shot at getting him, then it could very well cost £100M prior to wages.
There won't be in that sense. Dortmund have to sell if the release clause is met and the player wants to move. There's no point in bidding above an amount that will definitely be accepted by the selling club. However, there will be a bidding war, but it will be about which club is willing to pay the most to the player and agent as a signing bonus, unless the player himself has a clear preference and is willing to take a smaller chunk of money to secure a move to his dream club. If the reports are correct Chelsea have already shown their willingness to pony up well over £100m for him, so Raiola is 100% going to say "Haaland is a proven £100+ million player, and you're getting him for £70 million (or whatever the clause is). Pay us the difference now or we're leaving to talk to a club that will." There'll be no shortage of interested parties, so they basically have all the leverage and can hold clubs at ransom if they want to.

tenpoless

But when and who?
Imagine if United still havent signed Sancho and Varane. Dormund and RM would wait and demand higher prices. Before this it looked like there wasnt any huge and expensive signing at all and United was the only one spending big.

acolyte

This January when we sign Haaland for £135 million and loan him back to Dortmund until the end of the season.

Dan-Utd

Never I hope,

I would rather we buy quality young players and develop them along with players from our own academy into players who are worth 100m.

For me football isn't about buying the finished article at mega prices, I get more enjoyment from watching a young player grow, develop and improve with my team, whether that's from the academy or someone we buy, Rashford and Rooney are good examples.

I don't mind a bargain buy like Verane because not only will his experience be valuable to the first team squad but our younger defenders should learn a lot from him which increases the chances of them hopefully working their way up to the first team one day.

That sort of development and improvement pleases me more than winning trophies or leagues etc, to me that's a bonus, you get some fans who if their team has 10 games left and they aren't in a position to win the league - decide there's no point going to see the games, I couldn't be like that.

That said, I have nothing against fans who demand big signings or those who think their team is entitled to win something, everyone is entitled to have their own expectations and like whichever aspect of the beautiful game that they like.

skc_18

I don't think any time soon. We are well-stocked in all departments except midfield. And I dont think we would spend 100M on either DM or CM even if Pogba goes.

We might go all in for Haaland but that would be agent fees and wages because he has a release-clause.

dal

This would be my shout too. He’s going to be brilliant, likely will return to England and cost a bomb. Might help that we already have had talks with his Parents too.
I can’t see us spending £100 million on a player in his position, basically a number 6/8 unless I’m misreading where he plays/ will play.

dal

If we get Haaland, then I can’t see us breaking £100 million in the next 4-5 years unless one of our front 4 leave.

A-man

With the “new thing” that players play out their contracts and leave for free or last season on the contract, and instead get huge salaries, I think many players will take that route instead. But when we get a new striker, that could very well be the first 100 mill signing.

RedDevilRoshi

2023. Don’t know who on but I think by then £100M transfer fees will be seen as the norm and no one will really be batting an eyelid about them.

Eventually I will not be surprised when you will have clubs in the championship spending £35M+ transfer fees for players.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You've been doing the equivalents of 100m transfers for 20 years.

Chairman Steve

Probably some fancy English forward who we could have got for peanuts years before, when the time to comes to splash that nine figure sum. Attackers are usually the ones that cost the most.

Andersons Dietician

Only one I can think of would be Bellingham in say 2 years. Other than that Rice or DeJong.

If we don’t get Haaland you would think big money will go in to getting a striker but at the moment I don’t see any that in a few years look like they’d be worth that kinda sum.