Premier League 2017/18 relegation battle

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Swansea
Brighton
Bournemouth
Want another go?

In fairness Swansea were all but down at xmas, another remarkable espape for them.

West Brom obviously, Stoke as they can't score and no idea on the third. I will say all promoted teams will stay up.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
West Brom are surely doomed. Five points adrift; in disarray off the field; player discipline issues; not good.

Six points separate the next 10 teams. Lots of people are going to be very nervous.
The wierd thing is West Brom were actually picking up from xmas. They drew with Arsenal on NYE, been beat Brighton at home, got a good point at Everton and then beat Liverpool in the cup. No points for that but another confidence booster. This was all within three weeks.

Since then it's all collapsed on and off the pitch.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They have done nothing thats why (is the short answer).

Not signed anyone, not invested significantly, and changed one manager who had his tied to another.

Rather than actively try and stay in the league or progress as a club they have relied on there being at least three worse teams than them each season and opted for death by a thousand cuts.
Not sure on that. In the summer they got Krychowiak (18 months ago running the show at Sevilla but struggled with the pace in the PL) and Gibbs (solid ish LB). These may not be signings to excite a Man. United fan but plenty of WBA fans around here were saying it was comfortably the best squad they'd had in the premier league.

If you want to find a club who've underinvested in signings in recent times I'd say Stoke City would be a more obvious example.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Everytime I watch Everton I try to work out how on earth they are in the top half with 34 points.

Barely won a game under Koeman, barely won a game under Unsworth and hardly seem to have won in months. Did they get 30 points in Big Sam's first five games or something?!

Perseus

Not sure on that. In the summer they got Krychowiak (18 months ago running the show at Sevilla but struggled with the pace in the PL) and Gibbs (solid ish LB). These may not be signings to excite a Man. United fan but plenty of WBA fans around here were saying it was comfortably the best squad they'd had in the premier league.

If you want to find a club who've underinvested in signings in recent times I'd say Stoke City would be a more obvious example.
It looked like Banega ran the show at Sevilla. I think all the squads at the bottom are equally as good, or as bad as WBA.

Perseus

Want another go?

In fairness Swansea were all but down at xmas, another remarkable espape for them.

West Brom obviously, Stoke as they can't score and no idea on the third. I will say all promoted teams will stay up.
The 6 pointers come rolling on every week, next:

• Huddersfield Town vs Swansea City
  • Newcastle United vs Southampton

Perseus

Huddersfield (30) are the team to watch:

Swansea (H) 50% win likleihood
Palace (H) 50%
4 pts
After the break
Newcastle (A) 20%
Brighton (A) 20%
Watford (H) 50%
then
Chelsea (A)
Everton (H) 60%
Man C (A)
2, 3 or 4 or 5 pts = 36 to 39
finally
Arsenal (H) ???

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It'll be strange if all 3 newly promoted sides stay up and the 3 that go down are PL main-stayers in West Brom, Stoke and another

el3mel

WBA are pretty much done for.

Hopefully Stoke and Newcastle will be the other 2.

Minimalist

West Brom look certs now.

I wouldn't mind any from the bag of Everton, West Ham, Swansea and Huddersfield to join them.

Perseus

Everton (34) have home games against Brighton, Southampton and Newcastle and of they don't get five points from those matches they deserve to go down.

With away games against Stoke, Swansea, Huddersfield and West Ham and as an away team they are as easy as they get, Everton will have part of play on who stays up!

NYAS

Why are we talking about Everton getting relegated? That’s not going to happen.

Perseus

Why are we talking about Everton getting relegated? That’s not going to happen.
They are the joker in the pack. They play seven of the threatened sides and which Everton side that turns up on the day influences which team goes down.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could easily happen if they lost to Southampton after the break. Lose to them and they go in the bottom 3 and with their fixtures remaining will be very tough to get out.

Perseus

Could easily happen if they lost to Southampton after the break. Lose to them and they go in the bottom 3 and with their fixtures remaining will be very tough to get out.
Pivotal game. Southampton need a win and "must not lose" for both. Huddersfield need to avoid defeat at Newcastle next up.

Impulse

All I want for Xmas is West Ham relegated. Please Santa Moyes.
You just know that even if he did manage to take Sunderland and West Ham down in consecutive seasons, he'd still manage to find himself getting a job with another relegation-battling team next season on the basis that he's a 'safe pair of hands'.

Last edited:

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
You just know that even if he did manage to take Sunderland and West Ham down in consecutive seasons, he'd still manage to find himself getting a job with another relegatiion-battling team next season on the basis that he's a 'safe pair of hands'.
The fan revolt at the Burnley game has set him up perfectly - if they do go down, then it will be referenced as another case of “nobody could save that club the state it was in” that the media will use to wash his hands clean of the whole thing, like they did with us, like they did with Sunderland. Moyes won’t be allowed to be affected at all.

But I still think West Ham will survive. I’d love for both them and Stoke to feck-off, but there’s too much crap down there now for at least West Ham not to survive.

Podgy Poet

Supports
Not a top flight club
The fan revolt at the Burnley game has set him up perfectly - if they do go down, then it will be referenced as another case of “nobody could save that club the state it was in” that the media will use to wash his hands clean of the whole thing, like they did with us, like they did with Sunderland. Moyes won’t be allowed to be affected at all.

But I still think West Ham will survive. I’d love for both them and Stoke to feck-off, but there’s too much crap down there now for at least West Ham not to survive.
To be fair, Sunderland ARE an absolute state. It is harsh to blame Moyes for their awfulness given they're going down again this season.

Rashford2good

West Brom have gone then it's two from six or seven. I think Palace and Southampton will go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idxomer

I like Crystal Palace, hope they'll survive.

Stoke and Ham to go down.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I reckon Huddersfield will be o.k with what's left.

Point at Newcastle, 4 points from Watford and Everton home games will get them to 36 which may be enough. They have Arsenal home last game and Arsenal will put out a weakened team if they're in europa league final so that's another game they could get a point.

GeorgieBoy

It's hard to feel too sorry for a lot of the clubs fighting relegation. They sack their managers and replace them with a manager who's been sacked for the same reason but just at a different club. Their thinking is just so stupid.

soccerMad

It's hard to feel too sorry for a lot of the clubs fighting relegation. They sack their managers and replace them with a manager who's been sacked for the same reason but just at a different club. Their thinking is just so stupid.
They recycle those same old managers again and hoping they will survive. :confused:

Why can't they try out something different?

promisedlanchiao

West Brom the only cert at the moment. Would guess that West Ham (on and off the pitch madness) and Huddersfield (general lack of quality) joins them.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
how many points for safety? I reckon 37 should be enough, if Huddersfield don't win one of their next 3 games then they're gone as they have a beastly run in, but if they beat Brighton or Newcastle I think they might just do enough to be safe.

For me, it's still looking like Stoke and West Ham to join West Brom at the moment

Perseus

how many points for safety? I reckon 37 should be enough, if Huddersfield don't win one of their next 3 games then they're gone as they have a beastly run in, but if they beat Brighton or Newcastle I think they might just do enough to be safe.

For me, it's still looking like Stoke and West Ham to join West Brom at the moment

I reckon a club has to aim for 39 points although 38 may do for some. Third team is any one from at least five, possibly six clubs.

37 pts will probably be good enough but the club on that total will not know until the last five minutes of the final games and even then it could go haywire.

I predict Southampton or Huddersfield. But if Southampton win at West Ham, I tip West Ham to take their place.

Last edited:

Perseus

Brighton (34) hove a "must win" at home to hUddersfield (31) and could be their last points. Dog's chance afterwards:

Palace (A)
Spurs (H)
Burnley (A)
Man Utd (H)
Man C (A)
Liverpool (A)

Nobby's Trumpet

Supports
Newcastle Utd
Think this could depend on what Huddersfield get in the next couple of weeks. Two 'winnable' games followed by a bad run could determine whether Southampton could even catch them. I'd fancy Palace to get enough, same with Swansea even if its just one more win. West Ham have a bad run as well so still a chance they can go but I reckon it's Huddersfield or Southampton. Stoke and WBA gone, two of the most boring teams of the last 10 years so good riddance.

As a Newcastle fan, it's a bit of a relief to be almost out of it. Huddersfield were shocking Saturday, didn't even look like they wanted it which was a surprise.

Reactions: Akshay

Perseus

Stoke and WBA, with one out of Brighton, Huddersfield or Southampton.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Satisfying to see teams like Stoke and West Brom go down.