Premier League All Time Nationality Cup

NoPace

---------------------E'too----ChoupoMoting----------
------------------Foe--AlexSong--Geremi------------
AssouEkotto-Bassong-Matip-Song-Lauren

Not that impressive maybe but everyone had at least one strong season in the Prem and is in their best position.

Itandje is the only keeper I could think of, but he only played in cups for Liverpool so dunno if that counts.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
USSR

GK:Poom

RB: Luzhny
CB:Khizanishvili
CB: Klassan
LB : Zhirkov

DM: Smertin
CM :Hleb
AM: Kinkladze

RW: Kanchelskis
ST: Schevchenko
LW: Arshavin

Lack of centre backs but rest of the team is decent.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I see no reason Boateng needs to be in the team. Mertersacker and Rudiger aren’t nobodies themselves.

And Gullit did enough In the PL to make the Dutch team for sure.
You mean Boateng in terms of his time at City or overall? If it's purely from City then Rudiger and Mertersacker should be There, I agree.

Canagel

Everytime such a thread pops up I feel proud to be Dutch. What a talent we had. France will win this though.
Nah the French midfield has no creativity. The Spanish and Argentina teams are actually the most balanced and the Dutch have the best strike force. If it was a real tournament these 3 would be the favorites

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You mean Boateng in terms of his time at City or overall? If it's purely from City then Rudiger and Mertersacker should be There, I agree.
It would be silly to put him in a PL XI ahead of either of them. It would be almost a pub quiz trivia in the future that he ever even played in the PL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nah the French midfield has no creativity. The Spanish and Argentina teams are actually the most balanced and the Dutch have the best strike force. If it was a real tournament these 3 would be the favorites
I think the Dutch can even put out a better defence tbh. With a much better keeper than the French. I agree with you that they have the best squad. France have some depth though, they have quality creativity in reserve with the likes of Pogba, Payet and Nasri for them to balance it out.

diarm

You say that because of Kante and Makelele, but you're going to get huge creativity from Pires and Ginola who are both more wide midfielder than traditional winger anyway. Arsenal built an amazing side with Viera paired with players like Gilberto or Petit who were hardly creative and Pires who unlocked doors for them.

You could also drop one of the two DMs for Pogba.

That said, I still prefer the Dutch team. Stam and Van Dijk are so ridiculously good I don't even care about the lack of balance.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In my boredom this morning, I decided to create some of the best 11's I reckon different nations have produced within the Premier League.

I'm going to post them here in a little tournament and I'd be interested to see who everyone thinks would come out on top. Obviously expecting these teams to be torn apart as well!

Match 1
vs

Match 2
vs

Match 3
vs

Match 4
vs

Have at it! Looking forward to seeing what other countries people can come up with as well!
Full tournament 23 Man squads:

France

Lloris
Barthez

Evra
Clichy
Desailly
Gallas
Silvestre
Lebouf
Sagna

Makalele
Kanté
Vieira
Pogba
Nasri
Payet
Cabaye

Pires
Ginola
Wiltord
Ben Arfa

Henry
Cantona
Anelka

Belgium

Courtois
Mignolet

Alderweireld
Van Den Borre
Kompany
Kabasele
Vertonghen
Vermaelen

Fellaini
Tielemans
De Bruyne
Dembele
Chadli
Dendoncker
Praet

Hazard
Mirallas
Januzaj
Origi

Lukaku
Benteke
Nillis :(
Strupar

Spain

De Gea
Kepa

Azpilicueta
Montoya
Moreno
Monreal
Piqué
Bellerín
M. Alonso

X. Alonso
Rodri
Fàbregas
Cazorla

Mata
Silva
Reyes :(
Pedro
Navas
Nolito

Torres
Costa
Negredo
Soldado

Italy

Cudicini
Taibi :)

Pannuci
Pistone
Lombardo
Darmian
E. Palmieri
Materrazi
Ogbonna
Festa
Zappacosta

Di Matteo
D. Baggio
Jorginho
Aquilani

Diamanti
Zola
Di Canio

Vialli
Ravanelli
Casiraghi
Balotelli

Netherlands

Van Der Saar
Westerveld

Van Bronckhorst
Melchiot
Stam
Van Dijk
Blind
Heitinga
Ake
Van Aarnholt

De Jong
Gullit
Wijnaldum
Van der Vaart

Overmaars
Robben
Memphis

Bergkamp
Persie
Van Nistelrooy
Van Hooidonk
Jimmy-Floyd

England

Seaman
Hart

G.Neville
Dixon
Adams
Ferdinand
Terry
Campbell
A.Cole
Pearce

Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard
Ince
Redknapp

J.Cole
McManaman
Beckham

Shearer
Rooney
Owen
Kane

Argentina

Romero
Caballero

Zabaleta
Tarricco
Collocini
Otamendi
F. Fernández
F. Fazio
Heinze
Arca
Vivas

Veron
Cambiasso
Lo Celso
Mascherano

Lanzini
Di Maria
Lamela
Gutiérrez
Pereyra

Tevez
Aguero
Crespo
Di Santo

French or the Dutch for me.

Last edited:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Someone should make this tournament a thing using the legends database on FM20. Would be interesting.

Canagel

You say that because of Kante and Makelele, but you're going to get huge creativity from Pires and Ginola who are both more wide midfielder than traditional winger anyway. Arsenal built an amazing side with Viera paired with players like Gilberto or Petit who were hardly creative and Pires who unlocked doors for them.

You could also drop one of the two DMs for Pogba.

That said, I still prefer the Dutch team. Stam and Van Dijk are so ridiculously good I don't even care about the lack of balance.
Even if they are creative midfielders they are still playing wide and not in midfield. I doubt what worked for Arsenal in PL would be sufficient here if you look at what quality some other countries have.
I mean can you imagine Kante, Makelele,Vieira up against a Fabregas, Alonso, Silva midfield? Would the likes of Henry even get the ball?
the Midfield lacks a certain guile and craft and would be exposed imo in the highest level. Even the Belgian midfield with KDB, Dembele, Fellaini looks better balanced and more creative. Now if you were to insert a creative player that would be a different story, their squad isn't bad at all.
Also that back 3 looks very dodgy. They could be set up far better for sure.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Even if they are creative midfielders they are still playing wide and not in midfield. I doubt what worked for Arsenal in PL would be sufficient here if you look at what quality some other countries have.
I mean can you imagine Kante, Makelele,Vieira up against a Fabregas, Alonso, Silva midfield? Would the likes of Henry even get the ball?
the Midfield lacks a certain guile and craft and would be exposed imo in the highest level. Even the Belgian midfield with KDB, Dembele, Fellaini looks better balanced and more creative. Now if you were to insert a creative player that would be a different story, their squad isn't bad at all.
Also that back 3 looks very dodgy. They could be set up far better for sure.
I second this. It will be a similar prototype to us playing Matic, Fred and McTominay in a 3. It isn’t balanced enough. I think with some of these teams, sacrifices need to be made rather than trying to get all the greats in the XI. France have so much to choose from, as do the Dutch, but I don’t think the XI’s selected are the most balanced.

Canagel

I think the Dutch can even put out a better defence tbh. With a much better keeper than the French. I agree with you that they have the best squad. France have some depth though, they have quality creativity in reserve with the likes of Pogba, Payet and Nasri for them to balance it out.
Don't disagree. They have a good depth but the starting midfield chosen by OP wouldn't compete well.

The Dutch could also be improved further like you say (defence and midfield) but their strikeforce is outstanding. Could field two completely different attacking line ups and compete if they wanted.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don't disagree. They have a good depth but the starting midfield chosen by OP wouldn't compete well.

The Dutch could also be improved further like you say (defence and midfield) but their strikeforce is outstanding. Could field two completely different attacking line ups and compete if they wanted.
Yea, I had a go at making full 23-man squads a few posts up which you could probably play around with the formations with.

For a France vs Netherlands match I’d probably go:

—————————Lloris—————————
—Sagna——Desailly—Gallas——Evra—
———————Makalele———————
————Vieira————Pogba—————
——Ginola——————————Pires——
————————Henry———————-

Vs

———————Van Der Saar———————
—Melchiot—Stam—Van Dijk—Bronckhorst—
——————De Jong—Gullit—————————
—Robben——Bergkamp——Overmars—
———————Van Persie————————

Hard to pick a winner, they would probably win 5 each out of 10 I reckon. I think the Dutch have a better squad though, despite their XIs being quite even. Actually, having looked again, even the squads are pretty identical I think.

One thing that became apparent doing this exercise though is that in their own league, the English would probably be 4th at best, behind the French, Dutch and Argentines. Germany would give them a good run for their money too.

ElCuddlos

Thought I should represent my adopted home country.

Australia

GK- Mark Bosnich

LB- Stan Lazaridis
CB- Craig Moore
CB- Lucas Neill
RB- Brett Emerton

CM- Mile Jedinak
CM- Aaron Mooy
CM- Tim Cahill

ST- Harry Kewell
ST- Mark Viduka
ST- John Aloisi

Out in the first round.

Reactions: Invictus

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Cheers. Did feel he wasted a bit of his talent in the MLS (LA Galaxy fans love him for it I'm sure)
He was a quitter at a young age, didn't want to cut it in Germany (or Europe in general) and high-tailed to MLS as they catered to him. As he matured as both an adult and athlete, I find he got past the diva/selfish act and became a team player. His stints with Everton showed he probably could have been a tidy player in Europe if he had took his time, think he was 19 when he rode out of Germany. I've always found him a chicken-shit for doing that but also can't assign much blame with his national league calling for him and making him the face of the league, and to play in his home state.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I am making just how good they were in their prime, not their PL performance per se..
I put two DMs that have played center back because I hate david luiz with a passion

-------------------------------- Alisson -------------------

--Maicon -- Fernandinho ---- Gilberto Silva----- Fabio Aurelio

---- Firmino----- Fabinho ----- Edu----- Juninho-------

------------------Jardel------------Robinho-----------

Reserves : Ederson, Filipe Luis, Rafael, Alex, G.Jesus, Willian, Coutinho, Richarlison, Baptista, Lucas

Last edited:

Bondi77

The defence is shocking, but they're still having those Italian and Irish sides on toast with that front 4.
Radcliffe and left back from the same brilliant Everton side from the 80s would stiffen the backline

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Balkan XI

---------------------------------- Begovic ----------------------------------------

------------------------- Ivanovic -------- Vidic --------------------------------

--Petrestcu ------ ------------- Matic --------------------Kolorov --------

-------------------- S. Petrov ------------Modric ------------------------------

---------------------------------- Kranjcar ------------------------------------------

-------------------- Dzeko --------------------- Berbatov ----------------------

Bench - Pantilemon, Corluka, Lovren, Tugay, M. Petrov, Sahin, Eduardo, Suker, Mutu, Kezman

Andersonson

Balkan XI

---------------------------------- Begovic ----------------------------------------

------------------------- Ivanovic -------- Vidic --------------------------------

--Petrestcu ------ ------------- Matic --------------------Kolorov --------

-------------------- S. Petrov ------------Modric ------------------------------

---------------------------------- Kranjcar ------------------------------------------

-------------------- Dzeko --------------------- Berbatov ----------------------

Bench - Pantilemon, Corluka, Lovren, Tugay, M. Petrov, Sahin, Eduardo, Suker, Mutu, Kezman
Luka Milivojević?

He's been fantastic for Palace

And Sahin is German-Turkish. Not from Istanbul which is almost the only Turkish part thats 'Balkan'.

Dabizas and Holebas could get a bench spot.

Ivanovic surely has to be the 11. Maybe Tadic too

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Crespo is a bit of a funny one. Everyone says he flopped but when you actually look at his stats for his time at Chelsea (he only played two seasons) he did pretty well as he had 73 appearances and 25 goals but of those 73 appearances he was either subbed off or subbed on as in his second season with them he was rotated with Drogba. Further, in his first season with Chelsea his wife had a miscarriage and his place got burgled.

He also scored some absolute belters for them;

I think he gets written off too much as in his five seasons as a Chelsea player he was loaned out for 3 of them but a lot of it was to do with him not settling and not because he was poor.
A beast of a striker. That strike against Bolton!

Brightonian

Van der Vaart sticks out in that Dutch side like a sore thumb. Think of someone better to go there and that side is the hands-down winner for me, beating France in the final.

'But how will they get past that impenetrable French midfield?', you ask?

No need, just pop it over the top :devil:

Last edited:

Brightonian

Combined Asia and Oceania XI, for kicks:

Son - Cahill - Benayoun
Kagawa - Park
Jedinak
Lee - Ben Haim - Yoshida - Sun Jihai
Schwarzer
Honorable mentions to Bosnich, Al Habsi, Okazaki, Ki Sung-Yeung.

I struggled for full-backs. And chose to play Cahill up front rather than Okazaki in order to accommodate Kagawa.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Oh come on, Fred's in good form but you can't have him over Gilberto Silva, Anderson, Fabinho, Ramires, even Fabio Rochemback.
He’s not in ‘good form’, he’s a good player. This needs to stop. Football fans are so unforgiving. He cost £50m before he stepped foot in the PL. THIS is Fred, notthe version from his first 6 months.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Combined Asia and Oceania XI, for kicks:

Son - Cahill - Benayoun
Kagawa - Park
Jedinak
Lee - Ben Haim - Yoshida - Sun Jihai
Schwarzer
Honorable mentions to Bosnich, Al Habsi, Okazaki, Ki Sung-Yeung.

I struggled for full-backs. And chose to play Cahill up front rather than Okazaki in order to accommodate Kagawa.
You chose to play Cahill upfront ahead of Mark Viduka? And no Harry Kewell?! And Ben Haim and Benayoun are Israeli who are a UEFA team no? Winston Reid should be in the team I think.

ReddBalls

Norway post 92.

Midfield is by far the weakest part of the team, and i chose two defensive mids for balance. Bakke was first choice at Leeds when they were a top team, but seems forgotten by many. He had some disciplinary issues, but was probably Norways best mid playing in England. Håland was descent, but not much more. Alexander Tettey could be an option instead.

Defense and attack is pretty good, and there's also depth: Jostein Flo and Jan Åge Fjørtoft could play in attack, Stig inge Bjørnebye at left back. At centre back we could also play Henning Berg and Erland Johnsen instead of Brede and Ronny without sacrificing much quality.

https://startingeleven.co.uk/user-formation/307910

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
He’s not in ‘good form’, he’s a good player. This needs to stop. Football fans are so unforgiving. He cost £50m before he stepped foot in the PL. THIS is Fred, notthe version from his first 6 months.
It's fine to just say you're biased in favour of him. This is surely based on these players' contributions to the PL? Fred has been here all of 18 months, barely featuring in a team that finished 6th and breaking into a team that's about to finish 4th/5th? Anderson, Ramires, and Gilberto all won the league at least once.

And if it's not to do with their contributions to the PL then you'd be having him over players who won the World Cup, won the FA Cup, the Champions League... Fred's biggest honour across his entire career is the Ukranian Premier League. What kind of criteria are you judging this on apart from "Which ones played for United"?

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Luka Milivojević?

He's been fantastic for Palace

And Sahin is German-Turkish. Not from Istanbul which is almost the only Turkish part thats 'Balkan'.

Dabizas and Holebas could get a bench spot.

Ivanovic surely has to be the 11. Maybe Tadic too
Thanks,

Ivanovic slotted in at CB instead of Lovren, who do you suggest i take out for your 3 selections?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's fine to just say you're biased in favour of him. This is surely based on these players' contributions to the PL? Fred has been here all of 18 months, barely featuring in a team that finished 6th and breaking into a team that's about to finish 4th/5th? Anderson, Ramires, and Gilberto all won the league at least once.

And if it's not to do with their contributions to the PL then you'd be having him over players who won the World Cup, won the FA Cup, the Champions League... Fred's biggest honour across his entire career is the Ukranian Premier League. What kind of criteria are you judging this on apart from "Which ones played for United"?
Every Cafe conversation seems to be some sort of loop. You either ‘hate’ a player, ‘biased’ or ‘fanboy’ or whatever. Some people can genuinely just watch football and make observations. Drop me out. My team has the balance I would like it to have. I don’t want two defensive midfielders if that’s okay. As far as central midfielders go, I think Fred is of greater quality than Ramires. Anderson was a shout, as was Edu. I’ve picked a team that I think is the best, pick your own.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Crespo is a bit of a funny one. Everyone says he flopped but when you actually look at his stats for his time at Chelsea (he only played two seasons) he did pretty well as he had 73 appearances and 25 goals but of those 73 appearances he was either subbed off or subbed on as in his second season with them he was rotated with Drogba. Further, in his first season with Chelsea his wife had a miscarriage and his place got burgled.

He also scored some absolute belters for them;

I think he gets written off too much as in his five seasons as a Chelsea player he was loaned out for 3 of them but a lot of it was to do with him not settling and not because he was poor.
All true. His goals-per-minute ratio is the 10th best in Premier League history.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
South America minus Brazil-Argentina

Bravo

Valencia Sanchez Caceres Beausejour

Poyet Torreira

Rodallega Suarez Asprilla

Forlan

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Based on nationality and with more balance the french team should be closer to that:

------------Aubameyang
Henry------Cantona-----Pires
-----------Vieira----Makélélé
Evra----Desailly---Gallas----Sagna
-------------------Lloris

Bench: Barthez, Silvestre, Koscielny, Kanté, Ginola, Mahrez, Anelka.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Based on nationality and with more balance the french team should be closer to that:

------------Aubameyang
Henry------Cantona-----Pires
-----------Vieira----Makélélé
Evra----Desailly---Gallas----Sagna
-------------------Lloris

Bench: Barthez, Silvestre, Koscielny, Kanté, Ginola, Mahrez, Anelka.
Tidy team that.

Brightonian

You chose to play Cahill upfront ahead of Mark Viduka? And no Harry Kewell?! And Ben Haim and Benayoun are Israeli who are a UEFA team no? Winston Reid should be in the team I think.
I considered and decided not to go with Reid. But I completely forgot Viduka! :wenger: So the question becomes Cahill or Kagawa. I included Israel because it's geographically in Asia despite being part of UEFA. Honestly I didn't give it much thought, it was off the top of my head.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
All true. His goals-per-minute ratio is the 10th best in Premier League history.
Indeed. Saw him play a few times and I think he was probably the best player I ever saw at playing on the shoulder of an opponent. Whenever he got called offside it was pretty much always super marginal and he was a great finisher, much better the Pipo Inzaghi who was also great at playing off the shoulder/between the lines.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I considered and decided not to go with Reid. But I completely forgot Viduka! :wenger: So the question becomes Cahill or Kagawa. I included Israel because it's geographically in Asia despite being part of UEFA. Honestly I didn't give it much thought, it was off the top of my head.
And Kewell kind sir! Rubbish at Liverpool but genuinely one of the best players in the league at Leeds, for me, arguably the very best forward for a period.

Shinji and Cahill is a fair battle, although Cahill will probably feel entitled to edge that one I think.