Premier League: Cristiano Ronaldo interview (Warning! It's another Messi V Ronaldo thread)

Brophs

The One and Only
But Roy Keane's comments, by all accounts, didn't go down that badly with the dressing room at the time. Fletch has spoken about it, Rooney has spoken about it. The youngsters in the dressing room, of which Ronaldo was one, didn't hold a grudge over it and all of them still talk in glowing terms about Keano. It was more Carlos and Sir Alex had a problem with it, and lets face it the problem between Carlos and Keano had been growing for years before then.

There's a massively different mentality in our dressing room today. Which is a consequence of low expectations. We have one of the best paid squads in world football. Despite the fact we haven't won anything for five years. That shows that, at today's United, you get rewarded for nothing. Finishing fourth is enough to get you £200k a week. That's more than players at Liverpool, Chelsea and City who have won Champions Leagues and leagues.

Ronaldo probably can't believe the shallowness of expectation and ambition at the club. I'm glad he's calling it out and demanding the players do something about it now. Not just write off the season and sulk until summer.
Sorry. Should have explained that better. I meant the modern Roy Keane - rather than that interviews, when it was more accepted - who goes around talking about how he’d punch people for letting in a goal and scream at them etc. when the dog in the street knows those days are gone. Mourinho is another who can’t figure this out.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It all smacks of a bunch of players who have been coddled and enabled to do whatever the feck they want.
Even if Ronaldo isn't at his best, he knows best what it takes to improve and be the best player you can be.

choccy77

They're not really that young anymore are they now? None the less, I agree with you.
The point I meant was, they were young and have become far worse now than they were before and have failed to mentally adapt or change.

El Jefe

The most alarming thing about this interview is most of what he talks about is clearly the fruits or spoils of Ole's tenure. Its obvious Ole cultivated a weak mindset and lowered standards and expectations well below the level of the club.

We have many threads about certain players not being up for it but reading between the lines from Ronaldo its a pervasive issue and is spread across the club for the most part.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
"we changed from Ole, to Carrick, to.. this... this new coach"

Ouch :lol:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
When did the mentality change then?

Maybe when Moyes came in, alienated players like Rio and co. Who then kicked up a fuss (justifiably), with this rubbing off on the younger squad players at the time?

choccy77

Wt? Some still saying Lingard is young? He's amongst the oldest in the squad!
He is now, but he's grown up to become mentally worse which is apparently clear over the last 3 to 4 years.

On one side, I bet Fergie would have dealt with these guys better, on the other, changing managers so much, probably does not help these kids, as each new manager will have a different mindset and vision, which for those needing that "Sir Alex magic" simply don't get,

choccy77

When did the mentality change then?

Maybe when Moyes came in, alienated players like Rio and co. Who then kicked up a fuss (justifiably), with this rubbing off on the younger squad players at the time?
About the time Martial launched his own label and had his number taken away from him. Around the time Pogba came back also.

Funny, that Lingard also launched his own label about a year later, same time his "media GF" dumped him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sorry. Should have explained that better. I meant the modern Roy Keane - rather than that interviews, when it was more accepted - who goes around talking about how he’d punch people for letting in a goal and scream at them etc. when the dog in the street knows those days are gone. Mourinho is another who can’t figure this out.
Ah, you think it'll go down like a cup of cold sick with the modern player?

On that you probably have a point. Personally, I think that's a bad thing. However, I agree that its (sadly) unlikely to motivate the pampered princes we have in our dressing room.

Ronaldo, unlike Mourinho, probably does understand that. He refers to his own experience with his kids. I just think the frustration has got to him.

It's Greenwood, I bet he can't stand him.
Interestingly Ronaldo voted for Mason to win the 2021 Trophee Kopa award. He clearly rates his ability. His attitude? As the man himself was once known for saying: Only God knows! :lol:

The most alarming thing about this interview is most of what he talks about is clearly the fruits or spoils of Ole's tenure. Its obvious Ole cultivated a weak mindset and lowered standards and expectations well below the level of the club.

We have many threads about certain players not being up for it but reading between the lines from Ronaldo its a pervasive issue and is spread across the club for the most part.
You could tell this was the case from how we kept bottling semi finals, finals and went to pieces as soon as we got to top spot in the league last season. There are serious questions over whether this team can do it when the pressure's on. They started the season under the expectation that they should compete for the title this year and a bunch of them got stage fright.

People blame Ronaldo for our bad performances but we were rubbish before he arrived, apart from the Leeds game. Southampton (A), Wolves (A) these were poor showings and not ones we can blame Ronaldo for. The team, collectively, wet the bed and wilted under the pressure of winning being a must have not a nice to have.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
So basically one of the greatest players of all time is telling us that the mentality of a number of our players is just awful and is the main reason we are terrible.

Nice to have someone actually come out and say it I guess.
Mourinho has said it years ago and was crucified for it.

kthanksbye

Well they don't like driving home in the dark from training at 5pm so a holiday to Dubai is probably on the cards. Nice and sunny there I hear? Never been myself mind.
This time of the year, yes. Temperatures between 15 during the nights and mid 20s and sunny during the day.

Delano

Can't disagree with a word he's said. If you don't want to learn from the top goalscorer in football history, thats your responsibility.

UncleBob

About the time Martial launched his own label and had his number taken away from him. Around the time Pogba came back also.

Funny, that Lingard also launched his own label about a year later, same time his "media GF" dumped him.
What does player labels have to do with mentality?

KeanoMagicHat

Mourinho has called his last Chelsea, United, Spurs and now Roma teams weak. He just says that to make up for his inability to coach a modern team, it doesn't hold up at all.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He doesn't mention his performances at all.

Ladron de redcafe

Can't disagree with a word he's said. If you don't want to learn from the top goalscorer in football history, thats your responsibility.
Actions speak louder than words. Given how deplorable his all around play has generally been, I'm not sure what anyone is supposed to follow.

Is he going to teach them how to press?

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Mourinho has called his last Chelsea, United, Spurs and now Roma teams weak. He just says that to make up for his inability to coach a modern team, it doesn't hold up at all.
This is an "attack the post not the poster" type of situation. He is past his prime but that does not mean everything he says is wrong.

Marwood

Because he brought them in!

Ronaldo could be speaking truth or he could just be the old guy shouting at the sky. Each generation of footballer thinks the next generation are soft.

KeanoMagicHat

Mentality is one of those bullshitty enough - United had a good enough mentality to beat PSG and Man City twice in standalone games and to come from behind on several occasions while under Ole. In fact, up until this season, I'd say United players showed as much resilience as any other team.

Man City, by comparison under Guardiola, are actually poor when coming from behind. But the point is they rarely actually go behind, whereas United do. Because they have a world-class manager and recruitment that is built to have a settled team.

United will be set up with square pegs and round holes and the players will be trying their best and everyone will be shouting mentality is the reason they lost the game. And the players are completely confused. The reason United lost 5-0 to Liverpool was actually that they were too pumped up for the game and left gap after gap that Liverpool clinically exposed.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
Things Ronaldo is not:

1) Wrong.

2) Playing well enough for this rhetoric.

Scottynaldinho

He's an elite footballer with an elite mentality and work ethic.

But he's definitely not a leader and his selfishness is innate. He's not someone that can be a mentor

Deery

Dreary
I like Ronaldo but I don’t really give a feck about the interview to be honest, until things start improving on the pitch it doesn’t mean anything and anybody could come out with it..

Ladron de redcafe

Mentality is one of those bullshitty enough - United had a good enough mentality to beat PSG and Man City twice in standalone games and to come from behind on several occasions while under Ole. In fact, up until this season, I'd say United players showed as much resilience as any other team.

Man City, by comparison under Guardiola, are actually poor when coming from behind. But the point is they rarely actually go behind, whereas United do. Because they have a world-class manager and recruitment that is built to have a settled team.

United will be set up with square pegs and round holes and the players will be trying their best and everyone will be shouting mentality is the reason they lost the game. And the players are completely confused. The reason United lost 5-0 to Liverpool was actually that they were too pumped up for the game and left gap after gap that Liverpool clinically exposed.

City are a conundrum. Their 2018 team which broke every conceivable English top flight record seemed to freeze whenever they faced adversity. Anfield twice. Against United when United came back from 2 down. You can have great teams that aren't necessarily mentally strong and they'll win as long as that mentality isn't tested.

I think there's a difference between dominant teams like that and others that can excel in the big moments.

Idxomer

He should retire and go into management to show his players the way.

Morpheus 7

I knew this was coming, the real captain has spoken. Not absolute bluffers like Maguire. If you don't follow instructions of the manager or try to learn from CR7, leave. That simple. Ronaldo will be talked about in our history for all time. Some of the these fools will be forgot about in a year, they have achieved nothing and think they are better than they actually are.

choccy77

What does player labels have to do with mentality?
A lot, when it causes them to lose focus on the job they are paid millions to do.

Martial launching a label based on his number only to have that number taken off him at the same time, was pretty much the end of him as a potential great footballer at United.

Never been the same since, aside from his brief flurry of goals after the lockdown restart.

KeanoMagicHat

City are a conundrum. Their 2018 team which broke every conceivable English top flight record seemed to freeze whenever they faced adversity. Anfield twice. Against United when United came back from 2 down. You can have great teams that aren't necessarily mentally strong and they'll win as long as that mentality isn't tested.

I think there's a difference between dominant teams like that and others that can excel in the big moments.
Yeah I agree, and it's showed in the Champions League whenever a team has gone toe to toe with them. Basically I think it's easier to look like you've a "strong mentality" when you're just better at football and better coached. Stuart Pearce might have had a better "mentality" in adversity than Marcelo, but Marcelo was still much better at football. It doesn't matter if McTominay is one of Klopp's "mentality monsters" if Bernardo Silva and De Bruyne are running rings around him.

choccy77

Things Ronaldo is not:

1) Wrong.

2) Playing well enough for this rhetoric.
Ronaldo is playing well.

You can only do so much on your own.

Even Bruno, a great passer and creative player has been awful.

Ronaldo 8/10 given the ball is a huge threat and he is like 37.

Cavani aside (34/35) no one else looks as dangerous

If no one provides decent supply and crosses then Ronaldo isn't going to do much to score goals

kouroux

Actions speak louder than words. Given how deplorable his all around play has generally been, I'm not sure what anyone is supposed to follow.

Is he going to teach them how to press?
There are always lessons to be learned from anybody if one is willing to be humble. Ronaldo hasn't been great for sure but that doesn't mean his advices mean feck all.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yeah I agree, and it's showed in the Champions League whenever a team has gone toe to toe with them. Basically I think it's easier to look like you've a "strong mentality" when you're just better at football and better coached. Stuart Pearce might have had a better "mentality" in adversity than Marcelo, but Marcelo was still much better at football. It doesn't matter if McTominay is one of Klopp's "mentality monsters" if Bernardo Silva and De Bruyne are running rings around him.
While that's not wrong, there's still different levels of mentality at play, and there's no doubt that City have the mentality to run a lot, sprint a lot, and work hard against the ball, in basically every game. Work ethic is part of mentality too, and the fact Pep's teams are "better at football" cannot be separated from a strong work ethic.

Lee565

He is just saying the same thing that other players have come out and also said except because of nostalgia (this club clingsto the past) fans buy into when Ronaldo says it but not others...

Sounds to me like Ronaldo is just trying to throw others under the bus to protect his own reputation.

UncleBob

A lot, when it causes them to lose focus on the job they are paid millions to do.

Martial launching a label based on his number only to have that number taken off him at the same time, was pretty much the end of him as a potential great footballer at United.

Never been the same since, aside from his brief flurry of goals after the lockdown restart.
:lol:

As if his merchandise deals is his major problem. He was sublime for us for the first half of Mourinho's last full season, both him and Rashford when they were competing against each other, until we signed Sanchez and he became untouchable. He was also one of our best players in the following season, and the season after that, before it all went to complete shits in the 20/21 season.

How you've managed to conclude it's his label that's caused this is beyond me

Ladron de redcafe

There are always lessons to be learned from anybody if one is willing to be humble. Ronaldo hasn't been great for sure but that doesn't mean his advices mean feck all.
That's true but it also means that the advice might not be as palatable as it would if it comes from some exemplifying what he's saying.

kouroux

You're rewriting history because Martial played much better after that whole number fiasco (granted after he got it back) so there are other reasons as to why he hasn't worked for us as well we'd hope.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
Ronaldo is playing well.

You can only do so much on your own.

Even Bruno, a great passer and creative player has been awful.

Ronaldo 8/10 given the ball is a huge threat and he is like 37.

Cavani aside (34/35) no one else looks as dangerous

If no one provides decent supply and crosses then Ronaldo isn't going to do much to score goals
He's playing like shite. Airshots, missed chances. Bad touches that turn into "assists". And don't blame others for his shitty play, half your best signings under Fergie stood out in bad teams, which is why they ended up at Old Trafford. Including Keane, who stood out in a relegated Nottingham Forest team.