Premier League: Cristiano Ronaldo interview (Warning! It's another Messi V Ronaldo thread)

Laurencio

So basically one of the greatest players of all time is telling us that the mentality of a number of our players is just awful and is the main reason we are terrible.

Nice to have someone actually come out and say it I guess.

choccy77

He is very right though.

The weak mentality of a lot of our younger players is shocking compared to the past.

Martial, linguard, especially stand out and now Rashford is seemingly going the same way.

A few others, have also shown off and on similar traits, so its nit a random thing, it's something embeded into the club that needs to be fixed.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Elite mentality. Some in our squad can’t handle that.

Ixion

We have a squad of players that think they've made it because they're at United and it's history and not what we're winning right now. If Ronaldo can adjust the attitudes of some players during his return here then it will be worth it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Probably be crying & calling their agents for a move to Italy, Spain, Paris or a holiday to Dubai
Well they don't like driving home in the dark from training at 5pm so a holiday to Dubai is probably on the cards. Nice and sunny there I hear? Never been myself mind.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
We have a bunch of babies in our dressing room. Imagine not wanting to learn from Ronaldo.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Even if he leaves after this season, it's been refreshing for him to come in and ruffle some overrated feathers.

I'd just like some names, so we don't have to guess and speculate and rely on media puff pieces of 'working hard' and 'trying their best'.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's probably the best thing he ever could have said.

Not calling out individuals, but clearly stating that everbody need to buck their ideas up. This isn't just any old player saying it only, it's one of the true GOAT's of football with a monster mentality.

Clearly he can see our squad are a bunch of no back bone losers.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Great interview, love this quote ""We are capable of changing things now. I know the way but I'm not going to mention it here because I don't think it's ethical on my part to say that."

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If Ronaldo can't slap some sense into these pathetic wimps, no one can. Don't care how 'talented' you are, if you're unwilling to put in the work you need to be booted out of the club.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Whoever these players with weak mentalities are, get them the feck out of this club or banish them to the reserves. Get the youngsters in. They may not have the quality, but I bet you they will show more heart and desire. I know that alone is not good enough for a club like us, but its a damn good start!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, great words and he’s probably right. But off you pop in the summer if we want to properly progress too please, Crissy.

ShinjiNinja26

As I suspected we’ve far too many entitled cnuts in the squad who think they’ve made when in actual fact most of them have won the grand total of feck all. The sooner we get rid of this lot the better.

PoTMS

If you can't or won't listen to one of the best players to ever grace the game, then there's no hope for you. The sad thing is we all know which players he's referring to.

James35

Well said. He has got to where he is through talent and even more so through hardwork and wanting to be the best. Our squad is bloated with talent not even close to his, never mind having the same mentality.
I’m afraid this will probably fall on deaf ears though with the overpaid, pampered shite we have in our squad.

He will go in summer if we cannot offer CL football and I know a lot of fans will be happy but I’m the opposite, it will just be further proof of this club going nowhere fast.

mu4c_20le

When he says he knows the way but can't say it due to ethical reasons, he obviously means Glazers Out

SirSean

He is very right though.

The weak mentality of a lot of our younger players is shocking compared to the past.

Martial, Lingard, especially stand out and now Rashford is seemingly going the same way.

A few others, have also shown off and on similar traits, so its nit a random thing, it's something embeded into the club that needs to be fixed.
They're not really that young anymore are they now? None the less, I agree with you.

Rajma

I have been saying for a long time we need to be less sentimental with the players, even if they come through the academy. However, fans big them up to no end and then they start feeling like they have made it here without doing anything of note in terms of success. I might not be behind the Ronaldo train but anyone in our squad not taking advice from him is stupid. Watch us give Rashford a new contract in the summer. Greenwood needs to stop being such primadona as well, the effort on the pitch from these guys is terrible. Their workrate is on par with old fecker like Ronaldo, shameless.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He uses the word dignity in this interview and it really hit home.

This squad lacks dignity, it lacks integrity and it really is the weakest squad from a mental point of view that's been assembled in the PL era (obviously).

As much as none of this really is Ronaldo's fault, I get the feeling the weak minds are genuinely intimidated by him. His fellow forwards and his captain in particular for me.

Great interview - but serves no purpose for me. I'm sure the players he referring to indirectly are sat on their phone watching and simply thinking 'feck this guy, I'm great'.

Roane

Second time I've heard him say that about the youngsters.

In a previous interview he went as far as saying he tells players and they listen but then go away and don't implement or change.

I think the criticism we have see of him, including walking down the tunnel after games, is his frustration. Personally think we should back him instead of criticising him. His means and style may be wrong but his dedication shouldn't be doubted.

To build up something you have to destroy some things. Bang on

Not everyone has the confidence and experience to say things as they are, CR has and I wonder if some of the nonsense around likes of Pogba was the same frustration manifested in the wrong way?

Brophs

The One and Only
There’s something Roy Keane-esque about it. He’s calling out a group of players who, by his own admission, aren’t capable of taking it on. We probably all agree he’s right, but it looks out of step with the modern game and generation of players.

Gordon Godot

Second time I've heard him say that about the youngsters.

In a previous interview he went as far as saying he tells players and they listen but then go away and don't implement or change.

I think the criticism we have see of him, including walking down the tunnel after games, is his frustration. Personally think we should back him instead of criticising him. His means and style may be wrong but his dedication shouldn't be doubted.

To build up something you have to destroy some things. Bang on

Not everyone has the confidence and experience to say things as they are, CR has and I wonder if some of the nonsense around likes of Pogba was the same frustration manifested in the wrong way?
Sorry, throwing your arms in the air all the time or stropping down the tunnell is not how you show leadership, its the opposite and sets a really poor example. While the experienced pros can certainly help, remember its not their job to be instructing the younger players. Again, teh best way to do this is by setting an example, whether how you train, eat or act. Same with Pogba. Much as I loved the young Ronnie, we signed the old Ronnie who is a pampered egotist. Why do we keep makign excuses and construct complex explanations for players acting like entitled pr*cks. Then wonder why we have a toxic dressing room.

Teffe

He is very right though.

Martial, linguard, especially stand out and now Rashford is seemingly going the same way.

Wt? Some still saying Lingard is young? He's amongst the oldest in the squad!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
There’s something Roy Keane-esque about it. He’s calling out a group of players who, by his own admission, aren’t capable of taking it on. We probably all agree he’s right, but it looks out of step with the modern game and generation of players.
But Roy Keane's comments, by all accounts, didn't go down that badly with the dressing room at the time. Fletch has spoken about it, Rooney has spoken about it. The youngsters in the dressing room, of which Ronaldo was one, didn't hold a grudge over it and all of them still talk in glowing terms about Keano. It was more Carlos and Sir Alex had a problem with it, and lets face it the problem between Carlos and Keano had been growing for years before then.

There's a massively different mentality in our dressing room today. Which is a consequence of low expectations. We have one of the best paid squads in world football. Despite the fact we haven't won anything for five years. That shows that, at today's United, you get rewarded for nothing. Finishing fourth is enough to get you £200k a week. That's more than players at Liverpool, Chelsea and City who have won Champions Leagues and leagues.

Ronaldo probably can't believe the shallowness of expectation and ambition at the club. I'm glad he's calling it out and demanding the players do something about it now. Not just write off the season and sulk until summer.

Roane

Sorry, throwing your arms in the air all the time or stropping down the tunnell is not how you show leadership, its the opposite and sets a really poor example. While the experienced pros can certainly help, remember its not their job to be instructing the younger players. Again, teh best way to do this is by setting an example, whether how you train, eat or act. Same with Pogba. Much as I loved the young Ronnie, we signed the old Ronnie who is a pampered egotist. Why do we keep makign excuses and construct complex explanations for players acting like entitled pr*cks. Then wonder why we have a toxic dressing room.
Means and styles can be different but I disagree with you.

There are enough interviews from days gone by where the leadership we now lack were harsh in treating the youngsters or players not pulling their weight.

It is absolutely the job of the senior players to instruct the youngsters. Sure some might react better to Robbo taking them down the pub but others will react better to Keano screaming at them.

This is the same Ronaldo who had people screaming at him in his early days at UTD and his status in world football would suggest it absolutely worked

AaronRedDevil

Sadly we are stuck with whoever these babies are. And Ronaldo is first out the door.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think the mentality regarding authority in football between youngsters and elder players/coaches is completely different to when Ronaldo was a youngster in the United dressing room.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If you can't or won't listen to one of the best players to ever grace the game, then there's no hope for you. The sad thing is we all know which players he's referring to.
Do you?

Roane

I think the mentality regarding authority in football between youngsters and elder players/coaches is completely different to when Ronaldo was a youngster in the United dressing room.
No doubt. The new lot tend to be more molly cuddled and sensitive.

However going by that interview he seems to be aware and more "diplomatic" than a Keane would have been