Premier League: Cristiano Ronaldo interview (Warning! It's another Messi V Ronaldo thread)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
On the one hand I have zero issue with Ronaldo expecting and demanding high standards from those around him off the pitch. That's what senior leaders should be doing and one of the pluses of having him here. So all that stuff surrounding the professionalism of the players is fine.

However, there should be some reservations about his influence on the pitch. He is well past his best, in the final years of his career and that's showing in different ways in his performances. The profile of CF he now is is also at odds with what a lot of top teams would demand from that position, where overall contribution to the team matters more than simply scoring goals.

Ronaldo (like all players in that dressing room) will have his own idea of what's wrong with the side and what needs to change for things to improve. And (as with most players) his interpretation of the way the side should play will invariably involve him being played regularly in a role that suits him. But there will very soon come a point (if it isn't here already) where the best thing for the team is for him not to be in it, a decision he will inevitably disagree with. I suspect we're much closer to being at that point than Ronaldo thinks we are. And when we are at that point I'm not sure his status, influence and intense attitude will still be a positive in the dressing room. As with someone like Roy Keane, that drive is perhaps a double-edged sword.
Yep - sums it up well. Good post.

However, there should be some reservations about his influence on the pitch.
We have a number of posters on here who seem incapable of this, it seems.

(And some of them are also incapable of understanding that having reservations about him doesn't amount to writing him off completely or dismissing the qualities he still undoubtedly possesses).

Last edited:

alexthelion

I'm not questioning his advice to youngsters necessarily, I actually say of course he's free to give advice. That's fine, it's a natural part of being a senior player.

My issue boils down to this, really. Ronaldo hasn't played especially well this year. Yes there have been some big goals, yes there have been some good moments. Yes it's great to have a club legend back at OT, like many people I rushed out and bought a 'Ronaldo 7' shirt on August 27th because I got giddy. However, overall there have been some very iffy performances. Not just work-rate, but some genuinely poor games, where his touch was off, hold-up play was bad and/or he was generally invisible.

My point is, it's crazy the assumptions posters, with absolutely no knowledge of the inner workings of the club make about our players. Maguire? Lazy waster with a weak mentality. Shaw, lazy waster with a weak mentality. Rashford, distracted by off the field issues. I could go on, but I won't, because you get the gist.

Now, we didn't have any problems at the club last season. We might not always have played sparkling football, but we won a good number of games, finished 2nd and the team spirit or the attitude was never in question.

Ronaldo turns up, plays some good football, some bad football, works relatively hard on the pitch (but not as hard as some players) and suddenly everything he says is gospel and we're hanging on to his every word.

What would be more helpful, I believe, would be rather than go about giving interviews giving your opinion or posting on social media every 5-minutes, just go and get on with playing the best football you can play. Lead by example on the pitch. Run harder, close down faster.

I see Cavani, for example, saying nothing but trying to lead by example on the pitch, as a senior player. Just get on with it please now, and let RR and his coaching team work.
Well said, although it won't be popular.

Natener

It's gotten easy to be a Manchester United player now. It used to be special during SAF's era because being a man united player meant winning titles left, right and center. You don't just win something once in a while. You were expected to win everything there is and there was little room for failure. That mentality or culture had been slowly eroding since SAF retired. And that's where we are now. Try to be better, work harder, perform better, try to win something. That's a United player now. Just trying to win something instead of being expected to win everything.

mancan92

This would be all well and good, but two points...

1) Ronaldo is not the captain, not a coach, not the manager. Sure, he can offer advice and guidance to the younger players...but who is to say what Ronaldo says is correct? Doesn't necessarily strike me as a great student of the game. What if Ronaldo's advice to the younger lads is bloody terrible? What if his advice directly contradicts the advice the actual paid coaches are giving the players? Point is, maybe it's not his place to be commenting on what other players should and should not be doing?

2) Would we say Ronaldo is working hard enough? Quite frankly, I think he is conning us at times. I love the bloke, but 80-minutes of half-arsed sprints, followed by some gesturing/shouting and intense running in the last 5/10-minutes doesn't cut it and doesn't fool me. To be honest, I think Ronaldo at 36 is playing for himself. He knows that if he plays at maximum intensity, he's done after 60-minutes. So he manages himself through games. That's not what is required, I'm afraid. We need lads to play with intensity from the beginning and leave the pitch exhausted.
Ronaldo isn't a student of the game?.......

mancan92

I do. Because football is much more than penalties. There's a reason United sit at 7th now and every player is playing worse after he's joined.

As far as your last point is concerned, Paul Pogba was an integral part of the world cup winning team. Using that logic, Ronaldo should shut up and take advice from Pogba.
No because Pogba isn't one of the Goats of football and gone toe to toe with the best player ever. The fact that you are trying to compare it this way is honestly hilarious.

mu4c_20le

I do. Because football is much more than penalties. There's a reason United sit at 7th now and every player is playing worse after he's joined.

As far as your last point is concerned, Paul Pogba was an integral part of the world cup winning team. Using that logic, Ronaldo should shut up and take advice from Pogba.
Pogba hasn't won a league title since his loan spell at Juventus, big difference.

Lentwood

Oh sorry, I didn't realise Neville is the pinnacle. He called the whole team whingebags, including Bruno too.

We finished 2nd but if thats your argument its actually poor, we didn't play any better than we have this season.

Why only Ronaldo? I think this is an issue for the whole team.

I guess in your opinion we were charging at Villa like wolves last game without ROnaldo.
Why do you insist on massive oversimplifying every point that gets made, rather than actually stopping to think about the subtleties of the argument?

This is not a "Ronaldo good", "Ronaldo bad" argument, like you seem to want to make it. I am simply pointing out that I think our players are collectively responsible for the mess we are in and I don't think Ronaldo is in some way exempt from that.

There's one thing being the best player, but the understanding on this forum of what constitutes an "elite mentality" is laughable. An elite mentality for me is a player who elevates and encourages their teammates, who leads by example. The likes of McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, Fred, Maguire, AWB and Shaw have had an absolute battering...but I never see their effort drop-off. So at what point is just battering them further counter-productive? At what point is it better to actually get behind them and show a bit of support? They are human beings.

I've been critical of Rashford, for example, over the years, but lately I just feel sorry for him. Confidence is rock-bottom, he needs an arm round him, not more criticism now.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
If not Ronaldo then who‘s more qualified to raise concerns about our winning mentality and culture?
Instead of question the messenger with cheap shots maybe it‘s better for both players and supporters to address the problem and discuss how to change things to the better and move forward.

Sir Alex started his time with us with cleaning the deck. Remove the bad apples. Bad behaviors or not performing with enough effort and quality had consequences. Stars, youngsters or established squad players didn’t matter, the bar was the same for everyone. That’s probably the best way both then and now to set the standard and show what‘s expected from being a United player.

One of the mistakes that Ole made was that he thought that if he gives the players freedom and a arm around their shoulder they would reward him with 100% commitment and professionalism on and outside the pitch. His intentions was good but he misjudged some of his players characters and what a few bad apples could do to disrupt the squad harmony and affect our results. The irony is that Mourinho tried to do the opposite but in his case his confrontational and polarized personality made him too unpopular among both players, media and our board room. His assessment of the problem was probably close to the truth but his methods and management was questionable. So where to do next? Maybe something inbetween cuddling and military methods.

Reward those who‘re willing to adapt to the new regime. Stop renewing contracts to mediocrity and half arsed performances. Clean the deck from those who’re not willing accept changes. Take the short term pain like selling a few of our darlings and show the rest that the clubs well being is above them all. That’s my take on this. As much as I despise Arteta aka Little Pep I have to admit that his approach against Arsenals bad apples and underachievers has been successful. Arsenal finally looks like a modern team playing together.

CloneMC16

So a club legend, one of the GOATs of football and our second best performed this season can't critise his teammates? Some of you guys are hilarious. Ronaldo has been performing at world class levels for 15 years he can critise anyone in football
My post literally says keep it in house. He can criticise his teammates to their faces and not to the media. We already have so much bad press right now. All this encourages is more people to abuse Rashford and Greenwood. I'd love to know why you think it's a good thing to talk shit to the media when the club already has a lot of problems.

Ronaldo has not been performing at a world class level for us.

mancan92

My post literally says keep it in house. He can criticise his teammates to their faces and not to the media. We already have so much bad press right now. All this encourages is more people to abuse Rashford and Greenwood. I'd love to know why you think it's a good thing to talk shit to the media when the club already has a lot of problems.

He doesn't need to be world class. He's one of the greatest the play the game. He has also one of the best players to ever play for united. He more than any knows what it means to be a united player and winner.

Also he isn't talking shit he is being honest. If these can't listen to Ronaldo and he has to do this to get the message out to them then I'm all for it. I'd blame everyone of them before him.

oreon

Why do you insist on massive oversimplifying every point that gets made, rather than actually stopping to think about the subtleties of the argument?

This is not a "Ronaldo good", "Ronaldo bad" argument, like you seem to want to make it. I am simply pointing out that I think our players are collectively responsible for the mess we are in and I don't think Ronaldo is in some way exempt from that.

There's one thing being the best player, but the understanding on this forum of what constitutes an "elite mentality" is laughable. An elite mentality for me is a player who elevates and encourages their teammates, who leads by example. The likes of McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, Fred, Maguire, AWB and Shaw have had an absolute battering...but I never see their effort drop-off. So at what point is just battering them further counter-productive? At what point is it better to actually get behind them and show a bit of support? They are human beings.

I've been critical of Rashford, for example, over the years, but lately I just feel sorry for him. Confidence is rock-bottom, he needs an arm round him, not more criticism now.
Nooo. The only players whose efforts haven't dropped off are McTominay and Fred. The rest of them have. It literally just happened with Rashford the last game

Jibbs

When Ronaldo came as a kid, the player establishment at United were Keane, Van Nistletooy, Scholes and Giggs.
Ruud had issues with United, Keane criticized youngsters, Sir Alex booted both out because he had the trust in the youngsters he had at his hand would win him trophies.
When Ronaldo has came back now, the player establishment is Rashford, Pogba, Maguire, Shaw, Degea. If the had the desire and attitude, they would have already won United something. They clearly lack that character. They need to be booted out.

Jibbs

When Ronaldo came as a kid, the player establishment at United were Keane, Van Nistletooy, Scholes and Giggs.
Ruud had issues with United, Keane criticized youngsters, Sir Alex booted both out because he had the trust in the youngsters he had at his hand would win him trophies.
When Ronaldo has came back now, the player establishment is Rashford, Pogba, Maguire, Shaw, Degea. If the had the desire and attitude, they would have already won United something. They clearly lack that character. They all need to be booted out.

Shaw is probably the only one I would like to keep.

oreon

My post literally says keep it in house. He can criticize his teammates to their faces and not to the media. We already have so much bad press right now. All this encourages is more people to abuse Rashford and Greenwood. I'd love to know why you think it's a good thing to talk shit to the media when the club already has a lot of problems.

Nothing has worked !!! Nothing. Players need to be out-ted. The culture in the club needs to be out-ted. That is the only way anything will change. The squad is full of overpaid players who are not giving 100 %. And they have the nerve to leak crap to the media about a coach whose been there for a handful of games. It's ridiculous.

These players need to understand that they are the problem. Whatever criticisms is coming there way is deserved. If they can't handle the criticism then they can leave. If they want the criticisms to stop how about instead of complaining of late sessions how they stay in voluntary for late sessions. Instead of moaning about the coach's tactics, how about they give the new coach the benefit of the doubt, commit a 100 % because they been producing bad results.

Why should the fans feel sorry for these players ? If it's too much for them, that's fair enough. In the summer they can leave and in the end we will be left with the ones who are actually committed.

oreon

This is the culture in UTD. They are not committed. They don't care about winning trophies. I knew this season was done as soon as the leaks came out about players whining about late night sessions. Fans need to realize that this team is not salvageable. For the next couple months, I don't care if we make UCL next season or not. All I would like to see is Rangnick identify whose committed and whose not. And in the summer when we have a new manager, we can work on shipping the so called 17 who want out and rebuild from there.

Newstyle

There are serious issues at the club if no one is at the gym after training sessions. Where is the resolve to improve? Or do they not care? Nevertheless, the management should make gym mandatory everyday.

giggs-beckham

Clueless

Aw we used to have saf and Harrison drumming this into the players from an early age. Now a 'manager' doesn't have time for that stuff, I hate modern football I'm getting older like Ronaldo but surely these things should be innate or drilled into the players. Weep

DutchCruijff

We really should get Ronaldo the captain's armband and have commit to another 2 years REGARDLESS of UCL football.

Would he do it? Difficult. But if one puts forth there is a challenge in bringing United back to glory, one last hurrah, it could appeal to him (as well as the money).

This man OOZES the United mentality, a winner's mentality.

MuFc_1992

Aw we used to have saf and Harrison drumming this into the players from an early age. Now a 'manager' doesn't have time for that stuff, I hate modern football I'm getting older like Ronaldo but surely these things should be innate or drilled into the players. Weep
Do you think Liverpool players do the same? Stop blaming modern football because that is just a convenient excuse to skirt around the fact that the twats who play for us don't seem to give a shit

Jacob

Loved the part about destroying things to later build.

ClassOf'99

Wow, anyone that questions this man, his effort, mentality or work rate, watch just from 5 minutes to 8 minutes, so much to take just from that alone.

Nordmore

This would be all well and good, but two points...

1) Ronaldo is not the captain, not a coach, not the manager. Sure, he can offer advice and guidance to the younger players...but who is to say what Ronaldo says is correct? Doesn't necessarily strike me as a great student of the game. What if Ronaldo's advice to the younger lads is bloody terrible? What if his advice directly contradicts the advice the actual paid coaches are giving the players? Point is, maybe it's not his place to be commenting on what other players should and should not be doing?

2) Would we say Ronaldo is working hard enough? Quite frankly, I think he is conning us at times. I love the bloke, but 80-minutes of half-arsed sprints, followed by some gesturing/shouting and intense running in the last 5/10-minutes doesn't cut it and doesn't fool me. To be honest, I think Ronaldo at 36 is playing for himself. He knows that if he plays at maximum intensity, he's done after 60-minutes. So he manages himself through games. That's not what is required, I'm afraid. We need lads to play with intensity from the beginning and leave the pitch exhausted.
Good post I'd agree.

Your 2) reminds of the Palace match where he looked absolutely gashed around 60'. He could barely move anymore or even trap a ball without the ball boucing three yards away. His legs were simply done.

If we want a full game of intense pressing like Liverpool or City the very first thing is to drop Ronaldo imo. I'm very happy Ralf was able to bench him last match. That means the board was backing him. Let's see if the board still back him in the next games.

Gottabekiddingme

Wow, anyone that questions this man, his effort, mentality or work rate, watch just from 5 minutes to 8 minutes, so much to take just from that alone.
Delusions. Saying he can't say anything because how he plays. He had slumps over his career and he overcame them. He'll bounce back at some point. The other players? Not so sure.

Laurencio

Ronnie going semi-public has effectively given Ragnick public backing and shifted the focus entirely on to the squad. There were a ton of rumours about him being against Ragnick that pretty much disappeared over night when he said "he needs time to change the culture and mentality of the squad". He probably went public because he knows that will pressure the ownership, leverage the fans and give the manager the power and support needed to complete the changes he believes are necessary for the situation to change. As if to demonstrate his point about mentality Rooney chimes in a few hours later with Ronnie being wrong that Man Utd should aim for top 3, and should always aim for top 1. This moves the conversation entirely over to player mentality and recruitment policy. (Ragnick's strength)

Maybe this is what it takes for the owners to start selling players and start buying again? He is the only player in the squad who has the position, history, and influence to not have his words simply dismissed as whining.

As for Greenwood - maybe he needs this? Greenwood is extraordinarily talented, but maybe he - a 20 year old - needs to have the right people around him? We don't know who Ronnie wants gone, but it is entirely possible that Greenwood's development into a world class player is hindered by influential members of the squad being a bad influence. Ronnie specifically said "I am not talking about the youngsters in the squad, but this generation" , before that he talked about the atmosphere he grew up in, something he clearly believes senior players are responsible for. He even mentions that some players are strongly impacted by media coverage and talks about developing inner self confidence. It's all very much geared towards providing young players with an atmosphere to succeed.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ronaldo wants to seem like away from the problem rather than part of the problem - just like his fans.

Foxbatt

Ronaldo wants to seem like away from the problem rather than part of the problem - just like his fans.
At least he has identified the problems at United. A man who has won everything there to win. He has won more trophies for United than anyone else in the squad has. He has not thrown neither Ole not Ralf under the bus like some other players already have as soon as Ole is gone.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo made some valid points in his interview, but to match the ambition that he wants the club to have, he, as the main striker, also has to perform better for that to happen.

Now, he did well enough in the CL, United would have gotten 2nd at best if he was not there, but his performances in the PL leaves something to be desired.

Manny

Grammar Police
You can call Ronaldo the problem if you want, but there are far bigger problems within this squad that he is trying to address.

We should all know by now that there is a fragility and a lack of accountability in this squad. We can all see it so get behind him.

Ladron de redcafe

No because Pogba isn't one of the Goats of football and gone toe to toe with the best player ever. The fact that you are trying to compare it this way is honestly hilarious.
Ronaldo isn't playing like one of the best players ever, and that's what matters. My entire point is that history doesn't matter and if using a "he's a winner" is the logic we are going to use, Pogba is a winner by every definition.

It seems to have Gina completely over your head, as usual.

romufc

I don't think that anyone including Ronaldo is exempt from any criticism based on current form.

You thinking Ronaldo does not have elite mentality is more laughable tbh, it is clear who in our squad has that mentality.

Let me give you one example: Ronaldo done an interview, he wants to push for trophies, top 3.

Maguire gets an interview after a loss and says "I am here because I have to be", that is not a leaders mentality taking ownership as captain.

Also, effort? Shaw, AWB walk back, Rashford does not even go for a rebound of the keeper? walking with his head down? That to me is lack of effort in game.

There is one thing being out of form and another not trying.

Ladron de redcafe

When he says he knows the way but can't say it due to ethical reasons, he obviously means Glazers Out
He clearly is talking about the manager. And he's undermining the manager publically, because he doesn't seem enthused about having to put in a shift.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Do you think Liverpool players do the same? Stop blaming modern football because that is just a convenient excuse to skirt around the fact that the twats who play for us don't seem to give a shit
I completely agree the players don't care and it's on them also. We used to be so different though.