Premier League: Cristiano Ronaldo interview (Warning! It's another Messi V Ronaldo thread)

romufc

Ronaldo is pushing for top 3. Rashford is pushing for the top spot. Who's got more of a winners mentality?

Meanwhile, what's most laughable is you even beginning to compare Ronaldo's effort with Shaw, AWB, or Rashford. One the biggest problems is precisely because he doesn't put in anywhere near the effort that others (including those 3) put.

Now, carry on telling us how targeting a worse finish than last season is a "winners mentality".
There is something called elite mentality and one that is deluded. If you think at this stage we can push for winning the league, you have bigger problems than you think.

Saying we need to win the league from our position shows why they dont have elite mentality, just saying we need to do that.

Ronaldo is top scorer? I am not saying he is the best runner, presser in the team.

Carry on putting 0 context, these players you name are meant to be in their prime, Ronaldo is 36. It just shows how good he is if you want to compare a 24 year old to 36 year old. yet, he has more goals, not stat paddling goals either.

I think you are confused, a top mentality does not mean you compare oh we finished 2nd and we are targeting top 3 means his mentality is poor, ofcourse you don't put context into play.

So you think Ronaldo's mentality is the reason we are where we are in the league is laughable.

Ladron de redcafe

There is something called elite mentality and one that is deluded. If you think at this stage we can push for winning the league, you have bigger problems than you think.

Saying we need to win the league from our position shows why they dont have elite mentality, just saying we need to do that.

Ronaldo is top scorer? I am not saying he is the best runner, presser in the team.

Carry on putting 0 context, these players you name are meant to be in their prime, Ronaldo is 36. It just shows how good he is if you want to compare a 24 year old to 36 year old. yet, he has more goals, not stat paddling goals either.

I think you are confused, a top mentality does not mean you compare oh we finished 2nd and we are targeting top 3 means his mentality is poor, ofcourse you don't put context into play.

So you think Ronaldo's mentality is the reason we are where we are in the league is laughable.
Again, who cares that he's 36. All I care about as a United fan is performances. If he can't put in a shift because he's 36, then he should be dropped.

Repeating your ad-lapidum doesn't make it any less laughable. If you don't think the mentality of someone refusing to move around the pitch and is only concerned with waiting for chances to be put on a platter for him, then that sums it all up.

Context? Here's the context. We finished last season 2nd. We spent a bunch of money including bringing back Ronaldo and making him the highest paid player of the league. After hearing his fanboys repeatedly claim he'll take us one step further, we have regressed so badly with him that people like you are insisting finishing 3rd (after a better second half of the season) would be an achievement.

That's laughable. And we won't lower our expectations. It's up to Ronaldo to improve his overall play and do what real leaders do - elevate their teams

romufc

Again, who cares that he's 36. All I care about as a United fan is performances. If he can't put in a shift because he's 36, then he should be dropped.

Repeating your ad-lapidum doesn't make it any less laughable. If you don't think the mentality of someone refusing to move around the pitch and is only concerned with waiting for chances to be put on a platter for him, then that sums it all up.

Context? Here's the context. We finished last season 2nd. We spent a bunch of money including bringing back Ronaldo and making him the highest paid player of the league. After hearing his fanboys repeatedly claim he'll take us one step further, we have regressed so badly with him that people like you are insisting finishing 3rd (after a better second half of the season) would be an achievement.

That's laughable. And we won't lower our expectations. It's up to Ronaldo to improve his overall play and do what real leaders do - elevate their teams
Stop putting words in my mouth.

Could you highlight where have I said finishing 3rd is an achievement? Or are you making things up to fit your narrative?

Also, I will criticise Ronaldo for his performances, he hasn't played well in alot of the games. That does not mean he does not have an influence in the dressing room.

Also, Ronaldo is probably the only one who can finish. Greenwood has 5 goals 2 assists this season, Rashford has 3 goals 1 assist and the one you think is the worst player at Untied has 14 goals 3 assists and according to you he doesnt even try.

We have players like Rashford and Greenwood who think when they get the ball they are playing in the park with their mates and they can dribble past 4 man and shoot from every angle, every distance.

Ronaldo was not the only person we signed, do you think Varane and Sancho have lacked effort and quality too and they are bad players too?

Ladron de redcafe

Stop putting words in my mouth.

Could you highlight where have I said finishing 3rd is an achievement? Or are you making things up to fit your narrative?

Also, I will criticise Ronaldo for his performances, he hasn't played well in alot of the games. That does not mean he does not have an influence in the dressing room.

Also, Ronaldo is probably the only one who can finish. Greenwood has 5 goals 2 assists this season, Rashford has 3 goals 1 assist and the one you think is the worst player at Untied has 14 goals 3 assists and according to you he doesnt even try.

We have players like Rashford and Greenwood who think when they get the ball they are playing in the park with their mates and they can dribble past 4 man and shoot from every angle, every distance.

Ronaldo was not the only person we signed, do you think Varane and Sancho have lacked effort and quality too and they are bad players too?
All of those players who supposedly can't finish were scoring more before Ronaldo signed. So given that everyone is underpforming, where is the supposed leadership and influence that Ronaldo was supposed to have?

Your last point is whataboutism. Not sure why I would even bother responding to it.

Foxbatt

Bunch of people who have no clue or simply WUMs. Most probably WUMs.

romufc

All of those players who supposedly can't finish were scoring more before Ronaldo signed. So given that everyone is underpforming, where is the supposed leadership and influence that Ronaldo was supposed to have?

Your last point is whataboutism. Not sure why I would even bother responding to it.

Ronaldos influence is not to make players better, he isnt a manager or a coach, he is there to drive standards.

Ronaldo has scored more goals in half a season than Greenwood did all of last.

So are you trying to say Greenwood and Rashford become selfish after Ronaldo, 2 players who have 1 thing as soon as they get the ball.. shoot.

Because you have nothing to say other than criticise Ronaldo as if he was the only signing.

Ladron de redcafe

Ronaldos influence is not to make players better, he isnt a manager or a coach, he is there to drive standards.

Ronaldo has scored more goals in half a season than Greenwood did all of last.

So are you trying to say Greenwood and Rashford become selfish after Ronaldo, 2 players who have 1 thing as soon as they get the ball.. shoot.

Because you have nothing to say other than criticise Ronaldo as if he was the only signing.
That's what a leader does. Leaders elevate their teams. The team has regressed with Ronaldo.

So where is this incredible "leadership" or influence? What standards are we talking about? Giving interviews targeting a worse finish than we got last season without him?

Another logical fallacy in your last sentence there. This time, a straw man. If you're capable of constructing a cogent argument, I'm here.

CG1010

That's what a leader does. Leaders elevate their teams. The team has regressed with Ronaldo.

So where is this incredible "leadership" or influence? What standards are we talking about? Giving interviews targeting a worse finish than we got last season without him?

Another logical fallacy in your last sentence there. This time, a straw man. If you're capable of constructing a cogent argument, I'm here.
Why do you keep harping on this point? I think its obvious to everyone that a top 3 finish given where we are now is a really ambitious target. He was targetting winning the PL when he came - I distinctly remember statements about that.

Having said that, I don't care much about the interview. Its a PR exercise designed to shape the narrative which doesn't fault him. In truth, both things are true that he seems to be finished at the really top level now and this crop of players do have a poor mentality.

Lentwood

I don't think that anyone including Ronaldo is exempt from any criticism based on current form.

You thinking Ronaldo does not have elite mentality is more laughable tbh, it is clear who in our squad has that mentality.

Let me give you one example: Ronaldo done an interview, he wants to push for trophies, top 3.

Maguire gets an interview after a loss and says "I am here because I have to be", that is not a leaders mentality taking ownership as captain.

Also, effort? Shaw, AWB walk back, Rashford does not even go for a rebound of the keeper? walking with his head down? That to me is lack of effort in game.

There is one thing being out of form and another not trying.
Again, I never said Ronaldo doesn't have an elite mentality, or for that matter even insinuated it. If you can find the part where I do, please highlight it.

OK, let me put this to you another way then, and show you how your inherent biases are affecting your judgement.

Imagine it was this the other way around...

Harry Maguire "Manchester United must finish top 3, minimum"

Cristiano Ronaldo "I had other offers, I am here because I want to be"

Now you would be saying that Harry Maguire has a losers mentality, "top 3!?!" you would decry, "Manchester United must always aim for top one". You would go on to praise Ronaldo, "turning down Manchester City in an effort to return United to their former glories"

See, you can interpret these quotes in the press however you like. Very often, the players who are flavour on the month on RedCafe get praised for whatever they say, whilst the less popular players get hammered whatever they say.

romufc

Again, I never said Ronaldo doesn't have an elite mentality, or for that matter even insinuated it. If you can find the part where I do, please highlight it.

OK, let me put this to you another way then, and show you how your inherent biases are affecting your judgement.

Imagine it was this the other way around...

Harry Maguire "Manchester United must finish top 3, minimum"

Cristiano Ronaldo "I had other offers, I am here because I want to be"

Now you would be saying that Harry Maguire has a losers mentality, "top 3!?!" you would decry, "Manchester United must always aim for top one". You would go on to praise Ronaldo, "turning down Manchester City in an effort to return United to their former glories"

See, you can interpret these quotes in the press however you like. Very often, the players who are flavour on the month on RedCafe get praised for whatever they say, whilst the less popular players get hammered whatever they say.
Not really because Maguire has had the chance to come out. First, he comes out to an interview saying " I am only here because I have to be" This is post Liverpool or City, I cannot recall.

Secondly, he is the Captain of the club, he had one statement saying the same things he always says, "we need to do better, go on a run from the next game"

Compare to Ronaldo who has a 20 minute interview. It takes guts courage and leadership to come out and talk when you are in a bad space.

Credit to Rashford, he does it too, like the Europa Final. Although, Rashford has been in poor form, I don't actually thinks he lacks mentality. He has shown in the years he has got something about him, the PSG penalty and in difficult times he has been the one to drag us out in the past.

However; Maguire is a lost cause he has not shown any sort of mentality for us.

troylocker

The guy that has started 80% of our games as our striker is our top scorer - Who'd have thought?
He has the same amount of goals as Dennis, Antonio and ESR who doesn't take penalties.
He's not the best presser in the team, he is the worst presser in the League and all of the top 5 five leagues. Rock bottom.

The only elite thing he's done since he came back is his offensive movement, he's scored a couple of great goals and said that he doesn't accept fighting for 6th or 7th.
The rest of the time he's been anything but elite.
Wasting chances, no defensive effort, easily pushed off the ball (despite spending elitementality time in the gym both before and after the football training sessions), moaning instead of chasing the ball, running straight to the lockerroom after matches and so on and so on. If anything, he looks the least like a team player in our entire squad.

And now this interview.

I fear the this will only get worse.

Last edited:

mancan92

Ronaldo isn't playing like one of the best players ever, and that's what matters. My entire point is that history doesn't matter and if using a "he's a winner" is the logic we are going to use, Pogba is a winner by every definition.

It seems to have Gina completely over your head, as usual.
Of course history matters. Someone who has been there and done it knows what it takes. What are you on about?

LennartsParadis

One of the games greatest player and winner, of all time. Comes out and confirms what many of us has been thinking. Even if it isnt, what the feck makes you think, YOU know better?

Dude could be an over the hill liability, who gives a feck. If anyone knows anything bout a winning mentality, its Cristiano Ronaldo.

Eplel

Some people have an unjustified hateboner for Ronaldo, you need to let go of your hate and embrace SIU

troylocker

Some people have an unjustified hateboner for Ronaldo, you need to let go of your hate and embrace SIU
I don't hate Ronaldo, but my frustration over the blind love and unjustified credit he gets for his 5 months here is growing.

We all agree the man has had one of best best careers in football and has one of the best goalscoring records in the history of football and that is all good. That is not up for debate.

If we had a 36 year old, without Ronaldos CV, putting up the same grim faces/body language/moaning, running straight to the lockerroom after matches and delivering the same defensive effort and goalscoring numbers in the league this season, playing 90 minutes every match, and then do this interview.....I don't think I have to finish that sentence.

Maticmaker

Here's a thing!
If Ralf had been onboard at the time, would Ronaldo now be back at OT?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The guy that has started 80% of our games as our striker is our top scorer - Who'd have thought?
He has the same amount of goals as Dennis, Antonio and ESR who doesn't take penalties.
He's not the best presser in the team, he is the worst presser in the League and all of the top 5 five leagues. Rock bottom.

The only elite thing he's done since he came back is his offensive movement, he's scored a couple of great goals and said that he doesn't accept fighting for 6th or 7th.
The rest of the time he's been anything but elite.
Wasting chances, no defensive effort, easily pushed off the ball (despite spending elitementality time in the gym both before and after the football training sessions), moaning instead of chasing the ball, running straight to the lockerroom after matches and so on and so on. If anything, he looks the least like a team player in our entire squad.

And now this interview.

I fear the this will only get worse.
If his name wasnt ronaldo i doubt his performances would get a pass. But hell he is Ronaldo and because of that might get us past Atletico

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We can talk about mentality once this is the only difference left between us and the top teams. But this is not the case.
We have not challenged for the league title in the last 8 years or not even gone beyond CL quarters not because we are mentally weak but because we have just not been good enough.
If we would be competing regularly for top honours but always narrowly finishing 2nd and losing finals then yes it could be down to not being strong enough mentally.

CloneMC16

As if to demonstrate his point about mentality Rooney chimes in a few hours later with Ronnie being wrong that Man Utd should aim for top 3, and should always aim for top 1.
Both players saying those things is completely worthless. It doesn't show an "elite mentality". Everybody knows that United should be aiming to win the league, but it's deluded to say that the league can be won this season. The absolute best we will get is 4th. To say that we should be aiming for that, in the current position we're in, doesn't mean that you have a weak mentality. Nobody is saying it's a good result to finish 4th. It's not good. It's the absolute bare minimum requirement.

Maybe this is what it takes for the owners to start selling players and start buying again? He is the only player in the squad who has the position, history, and influence to not have his words simply dismissed as whining.
The owners have been buying players. United are the highest spenders in world football over the past 10 years. We have have little to nothing to show for it. The players that have been bought have mostly not been good enough. I get the Glazer hate, due to them siphoning money out of the club, but they can't be accused of refusing to sign players. They gave Ole £400m and he won nothing. We now have most people saying that the signings he made are not good enough, and need to be replaced.

As for Greenwood - maybe he needs this? Greenwood is extraordinarily talented, but maybe he - a 20 year old - needs to have the right people around him? We don't know who Ronnie wants gone, but it is entirely possible that Greenwood's development into a world class player is hindered by influential members of the squad being a bad influence. Ronnie specifically said "I am not talking about the youngsters in the squad, but this generation" , before that he talked about the atmosphere he grew up in, something he clearly believes senior players are responsible for. He even mentions that some players are strongly impacted by media coverage and talks about developing inner self confidence. It's all very much geared towards providing young players with an atmosphere to succeed.
I have no idea what Greenwood needs. I don't know the guy. I don't know who he has around him. Neither do any of us here. Maybe he does need it, but I will always be sceptical of criticising teammates or any of the coaches to the media. I was against it when Mourinho used to do it, and I'm not going to pretend that I like it because Ronaldo has done it now. For me, this is something you do behind closed doors. The club doesn't need more media drama and reasons for fans to abuse the players. I don't think abusing the players does anything positive.

Ronaldo can say he's not talking about his teammates, but I think you can clearly tell that is a lie. He has looked a frustrated figure when Greenwood hasn't passed to him when he probably should have on multiple occasions. We've had stories come out saying that Ronaldo doesn't like playing with him, due to Greenwood not passing to him. Trying to then say he's not talking about his own teammates is pretty laughable. Ronaldo would have had the exact same talk with United players when he first arrived at 18. He didn't pass, and that clearly irritated RvN. I'm sure he's had the exact same talks with Greenwood.

I didn't have a problem with the majority of the interview. A lot of what he said was fair and should be said. I only have issues when you clearly call out teammates to the media. I highly doubt anything good comes from that. If I'm wrong, I will gladly admit to being wrong. If our players take it in their stride, and start to get their shit together, I will be thrilled. They've already been getting a tonne of abuse and negative media coverage, so I highly doubt this will help anything.

Ladron de redcafe

Of course history matters. Someone who has been there and done it knows what it takes. What are you on about?
Is isn't complicated. Someone's history doesn't matter if he isn't performing at the moment. Otherwise, Roy Keane would have had much more of an influence than he did in the mid 2000s. Nobody cares about how good Cristiano Ronaldo used to be. He's currently playing at a diabolocally bad level, and the other players must scuff at him throwing his tantrums and whinging an interviews, when he's playing as badly as he is.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
His complaints about his young teammates can be detrimental, they certainly won't improve after being called "mentally weak", if it's true they are mentally weak, then it will be worse.

I don't think he cares that much what happens tbh, he is leaving United if they don't reach CL spot, no way he is gonna play Europa or Conference League.

mancan92

Is isn't complicated. Someone's history doesn't matter if he isn't performing at the moment. Otherwise, Roy Keane would have had much more of an influence than he did in the mid 2000s. Nobody cares about how good Cristiano Ronaldo used to be. He's currently playing at a diabolocally bad level, and the other players must scuff at him throwing his tantrums and whinging an interviews, when he's playing as badly as he is.
They can't scuff at him because they are playing worse than him. While Ronaldo was saving them from September till November they were still playing like crap. Just because Ronaldo hasn't performed recently doesn't mean they can say anything because they were always crap.

Also roy Keane was part of an amazing squad of leaders so there's a difference. Even without Keane you had 10+ players who had won Premier league and cl. Now we don't have any except Ronaldo and varane so it's obviously not the same scenario.

Your running out of pedantic points to save your point. Pick another one

Luke1995

In another interview to ESPN Brazil he mentioned he feels like he's 30 genetically and wants to see if he can play until 40,41 or 42.

I think we'll see him at Euro 2024. No idea if he could still be with us after 2023 though. His performances this season need to improve.

Manny

Grammar Police
His complaints about his young teammates can be detrimental, they certainly won't improve after being called "mentally weak", if it's true they are mentally weak, then it will be worse.

I don't think he cares that much what happens tbh, he is leaving United if they don't reach CL spot, no way he is gonna play Europa or Conference League.
If they are mentally weak and don't respond positively, they'll need to be moved out.

No point burying your head and skirting around the issue, then wondering why the team isn't kicking on.

Rockets Redglare

Name a single attacking player for United this season who has outperformed him.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Unless there's been a Mutiny on the Bounty, Harry Maguire is the club captain and the one directly in charge of unifying the lads. Coincidentally our captain is having the worst season of his life. Ronaldo is in no position to take on that role unless designated. Bruno Fernandes is the second choice of captain.

What is the bigger influence on a team? The captain playing poorly, or the striker not receiving balls to chase? Now, Ronaldo doesn't come away from his performances with a glowing recommendation, but the team is not doing him any favors in possession. Even Haaland would struggle to do anything on this team as it is now, since he won't get the ball.

Ronaldo is the captain of Portugal and has won a major title with his national team as a leader.

The problem lies not with Ronaldo himself, but the teams inability to keep the ball in the team and utilize the striker appropriately. No service, no fancystats.

Ralf Ragnick is the worst appointment considering the squad we have to work with, with Edi and Ronaldo both being aging strikers who play a very spesific game that we knew about before they were brought here, that is on the management, not the players.

Stop ending your comments with a dickhead sentence.

Eplel

I don't hate Ronaldo, but my frustration over the blind love and unjustified credit he gets for his 5 months here is growing.

We all agree the man has had one of best best careers in football and has one of the best goalscoring records in the history of football and that is all good. That is not up for debate.

If we had a 36 year old, without Ronaldos CV, putting up the same grim faces/body language/moaning, running straight to the lockerroom after matches and delivering the same defensive effort and goalscoring numbers in the league this season, playing 90 minutes every match, and then do this interview.....I don't think I have to finish that sentence.

"You're only as good as your last envelope" - Silvio "Troylocker" Dante

First of all, the love he gets is not blind, he is a club legend.
Second, what sort of unjustified credit is he getting? Most of our fans are not happy with our performances this year and they're not singling Ronaldo out, so can you explain what you mean with examples?

Third, his performances this year do not make his statement any more valid or invalid. He's flat out right, and that's what is not up for debate.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bloody hell Ronaldo fans overstate the importance/influence of emperor Harry Maguire :lol:

IhabX7

Excellent interview. I’ve been saying what he said about the mentality for ages. The real problem is obvious to everyone who understands the game. I hope the younger players take note and give it their all tomorrow evening. It really is possible to achieve something this season with this squad if they start playing with pride.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So apart from mourinho, lvg and ole he just wants to instill a elite mentality.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Has anyone explained what he cryptically means by "something has to change?"

Eplel

Yeah, I hear he was new nicknames for everyone in training:

Floptial, Flopgard, Rashflop, Flopwood and he just calls our defenders Maguire 1, Maguire 2, Maguire 3 and Maguire 4. Great reporting from the Mirror, I'm sure it's legit.

Grande

If we had a 50 year old who knew more than anyone about elite football mentality, but wasn’t the team’s top scorer, and he said these things … do you think the less experienced players should listen to him?
Stop ending your comments with a dickhead sentence.
Ending with a dickhead sentece seems to be one of the most effective ways to wum, sadly.
Has anyone explained what he cryptically means by "something has to change?"
They have, it means ‘we should be able to control much more of the play at home against teams like Villa and Wolves.’
Feck that’s harsh, we all want to improve but don’t want to destroy anyone in the process.
‘Feck that’s clickbait drivel’ would possibly be more apt?