Premier League Draft SF: Gio vs Skizzo

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Fair enough. But ahead of any tight draft game, you don't need to be Nostradamus to predict where some of the votes are going. Whether that's down to being aligned in how your view the game, subconsciously voting for something or someone, managers eyeing up the best players or not voting as they're happy to see a rival crash out, or down to having an agenda for or against certain posters, it all happens to some degree.

I just don't think it's right when we've got 18 votes on the table to assume that 17 are squeaky clean and 1 isn't. Probably all 18 are tainted by some sort of bias. Because we've all got agendas we try to bury away but, with the confrontational style of debate, bubble to the surface every now and then.

The problem, in my view, is that there are too few voters which intensifies the competition for individual votes and, with the confrontational style of every game, everyone gets embittered in defeat. Without quoting people directly, we've had multiple comments in just the last week alone from managers effectively feeling they've been shafted by the voters. We didn't really have these problems in the mains because there were more voters. The only scapegoat there was the dreaded scan voter.
Not getting into the different kinds of voter bias mate, sure there will always be some.

But I used the words I used because I have observed blatant cheating many a times in many a draft. Same has been observed by others in the past. Sure, not everyone wants to look a bitter cnut so they don't say it out in the open. For example, Skizzo apparently added his white text with his comment to indicate it was tongue in cheek but did send me this 1 line DM (I am sorry for posting this here, Skizzo). So its definitely not like I am the only one accusing the aforementioned cheating piece of shit.
However…I do agree with your general assessment.
Anyways, I am not sure why we are talking about this as its not you that I accused of cheating. So lets drop it here. Sorry if you feel I tainted your win in any way.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not getting into the different kinds of voter bias mate, sure there will always be some.

But I used the words I used because I have observed blatant cheating many a times in many a draft. Same has been observed by others in the past. Sure, not everyone wants to look a bitter cnut so they don't say it out in the open. For example, Skizzo apparently added his white text with his comment to indicate it was tongue in cheek but did send me this 1 line DM (I am sorry for posting this here, Skizzo). So its definitely not like I am the only one accusing the aforementioned cheating piece of shit.

Anyways, I am not sure why we are talking about this as its not you that I accused of cheating. So lets drop it here. Sorry if you feel I tainted your win in any way.
I've described voter bias to give everyone an out. Because I think it's a bit hypocritical to accuse one person of cheating when we're all guilty of bias to some extent. Because in this game there were 3 voters who have voted against me in tight games in something like 8-10 games in a row.

Frankly I don't give a shit - it's all part of the challenge. And I'm not even accusing them of cheating because - shit happens - we all have our preferences be it in styles of teams or how managers conduct themselves. But you know, given you're one of those 3 voters, it seems a bit rich to accuse somebody else of cheating. And don't take that personally, you're a big asset to the draft forum. The last thing we want is people too scared to vote in case they get lynched by the bitter-drafter-mob.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Why did you delete your post @Skizzo ? Long maintained that the guy is a cheating piece of shit, does it every draft.
Cheating because I voted for Gio :lol:. Have you lost your mind? I’m not playing in the draft and can vote the same way that everyone else can. No one needs your permission to vote. Honestly, you’ve finally cracked if that constitutes cheating. And it does make me laugh that you’d even try to critique this given how overt you can be with your rivalries and voting patterns. I remember you throwing your toys out of the pram about the same thing with Enigma. Ultimately it’s a draft game, mate, and you’re not even playing. So try and keep some perspective.

“Beaten at the last minute by a Theon vote for Gio in the only match he decided to vote on all draft, I smell a conspiracy
Ha, no conspiracy there Skizzo. The reason I voted against you is that you have the significantly worse team in my opinion. That right flank was underwhelming in round one, but for a semi-final it’s piss poor. In contrast the opposition has assembled something of a juggernaut, based on the most dominant Premier League team of the last decade and then made it significantly better. In terms of quality I think it’s a clear level above personally.

I also wasn’t a fan of some of your arguments within the match thread to be honest. I didn’t agree with the downplaying of Cantona as a false #9, which is the type of thing we should be appreciating in drafts as it’s actually creative and interesting tactically. And some of the goalscoring arguments I found overly bias, particularly the comparison between De Bruyne and Kante. It’s that sort of transparent salesmanship (in a really exaggerated way) that I find both funny but also off-putting as a voter. Incidentally it’s the type of arguing that GSTQ does loads of and one of the reasons I’d be inclined to vote against him (still cringing from his whole ‘don’t do it for me.. do it for Bepo!!’ schtick from the last draft).

I actually think it’s a bit of a farce the match was this close to be honest which makes the whole ‘agenda’ angle even more ludicrous. I’ve had a look at the nine voters and I’d have guessed at least four of them would have voted against Gio as they do so repeatedly. That sort of voting is the only reason this was close, so trying to find some injustice in losing here is way-off. Ultimately there are a range of reasons as to why people could be more inclined to vote against certain posters. It’s happened to me loads (as you well know) and I’m sure it’s cost me a few finals over the years. I think the difference is that most people shrug it off and don’t really acknowledge it, as it’s not that important.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Dont think theon ever voted for me so would be interesting to see what happened when gio and myself paired up....whats stronger, love or hate? :D

No idea what to say about all those things except people bother about non important stuff.....even if he cheated does it really matter? Id love to have the legend tuppet back :)
Saying that, its quite possible scrappy is just being scrappy and there is nothing behind it. Im sure every single one of us have someone in a draft section that has a very similar views about football therefor they usually go for similar players and like each other teams. For example if you went back and researched all harms games its very possible you wouldnt find my vote against him or the number would be very small.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Damn completely missed this game and meltdowns :lol:

Would have voted Gio, team is pretty much perfect. Trent is the player that needs to be upgraded though, he's a defensive liability and Giggs would rinse him. But that Anderton/Brown flank sticks out like a sore thumb at this stage and swings it.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Damn completely missed this game and meltdowns :lol:

Would have voted Gio, team is pretty much perfect. Trent is the player that needs to be upgraded though, he's a defensive liability and Giggs would rinse him. But that Anderton/Brown flank sticks out like a sore thumb at this stage and swings it.
It draws at 9-9 first, then I add 12 hours for extra votes or information from both sides. Unfortunately, you miss my man. :lol:

Last edited:

sherrinford

I feel like Gio's team hasn't really improved from Round 1, with only Van Dijk feeling like an upgrade.

I don't think it's a particularly ideal position for Suarez, and preferred the idea of Tierney being able to tuck in and make a back three with Sane providing width and penetration, which would nicely counterbalance Alexander-Arnold moving into midfield and give you the kind of foundation and security that Guardiola's side had to find in order to adequately defend in transition. The sheer quality of Van Dijk obviously helps, but the start of the season prior to his injury showed that when the structure isn't quite right he can't just magically fix it with his mere presence - Liverpool had issues with their high line from the opening game and it was majorly highlighted in the Aston Villa hammering.

Suarez isn't quite the right type to thrive starting from a wide position - you could do with another player who primarily threatens the space behind the defence in the same way Salah does on your right as he is absolutely perfect for the system. I think there was a very obvious wide forward option, and also a few strikers who could have been a superior fit for the setup.

I can understand why Modric has been removed to accommodate De Bruyne and Silva while trying to recreate the Man City team, but Modric is the kind of methodical dictator - like David Silva - with the innate understanding of how to circulate and progress the ball that Guardiola is always trying to instil in his players. He is someone who's strategic approach would see him select the 'best' pass more often than either and help immensely in dismantling a good defensive unit. I do like the concept of Silva shuttling out to a vacated wide area, but at best I would call this particular change in personnel a sideways move.

Still a very good side obviously, but you easily had the strongest eleven after the initial draft and I feel the other sides have closed the gap with the reinforcements.

Šjor Bepo

find the Suarez criticism baffling tbh, great fit IMO but the reason why its baffling to me is that nobody is mentioning the situation on the other wing where there could be a potential problem with Salah as both are dominant, both main players for their teams and both prefer to play with ball in their feet.

Himannv

find the Suarez criticism baffling tbh, great fit IMO but the reason why its baffling to me is that nobody is mentioning the situation on the other wing where there could be a potential problem with Salah as both are dominant, both main players for their teams and both prefer to play with ball in their feet.
You mean Salah and KDB?

Šjor Bepo

You mean Salah and KDB?
No, can see those two work nicely....Salah doesnt have a problem with "playmakers" on his side....there is Trent and Henderson while nowhere near the playmaker status he has tendencies to drift out right and trying to be one.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Well, if I may say... Obviously you need a calming presence like me in the draft or otherwise you go on with inappropriate behaviour like this one here.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Re: low voting numbers. I used to love accompanying the drafting process in these drafts, but it’s too tucked away now in the forum unfortunately.

i recognize almost all the users from other drafts and some fantastic meltdowns and great discussions, but it’s all so hidden now.

By the time I remember to look, a draft is almost done and it’s not the same reading back.

Šjor Bepo

Re: low voting numbers. I used to love accompanying the drafting process in these drafts, but it’s too tucked away now in the forum unfortunately.

i recognize almost all the users from other drafts and some fantastic meltdowns and great discussions, but it’s all so hidden now.

By the time I remember to look, a draft is almost done and it’s not the same reading back.
the only right thing to do is to bookmark the draft section :wenger:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
the only right thing to do is to bookmark the draft section :wenger:
That’s an idea! I don’t really mess around with the site functions so much, but should make an exception in this case.