Premier League Festive Season

El Zoido

Liverpool fans acting like they’re mad a VAR when it’s actually helping them, constantly, in almost every game they play. Wouldn’t be so moral and virtuous were they not already champions. Makes the blood boil tbh.

DRM

VAR is a positive on the whole for football, just not in this league, it needs drastic improvement not binning.
Correct. VAR is not to blame, it's the idiots in Stockley park who are making stupid decisions

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Seen a few angles now. VVD handball before his long pass, so all this perfectly legitimate goal crap should end. By letter of the law game should be 0-0
Doubt if MOTD or PL Review will mention it

macheda14

People on twitter saying it hit Van Dijk’s hand as he controlled it just before he boots it up to llama

Traub

That's the point, VAR cannot be 100% sure that the striker was in an offside position when the ball was played, thus they don't have the right to overturn the original decision.

The goal absolutely must stand under these circumstances. I'd be kicking up a storm if I was the Wolves manager.
I agree. Before they introduced this, I thought VAR was going to improve those ridiculous decisions where it was obviously offside / not offside. The current approach just doesn’t make sense.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
VAR for offside is crap You can’t accurately pinpoint when the ball left the foot of the passer and trying to draw accurate lines from a 2d picture to millimetre accuracy is a joke.

fergiesarmy1

Should never been disallowed. Needs to be more then a nanometer that requires a 1000x zoom to see to get called offside.

love the conspiracy theories though. Liverpool has had similar offside goals disallowed and that was never ever a handball on Lallana
Even Liverpool’s competition seem to getting the rough end of these decisions and I don’t recall many going against Liverpool under VAR - certainly not when the game is close, maybe when 3 or 4 up?

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Clear and obvious does not come into it for offside. VAR are doing the correct thing as stupid as it is. Pukki yesterday and then Wolves today should not be having goals disallowed for that but the law is the law and until IFAB amend the offside law, then we're stuck with farcical situations like this.

Bulldog United

Correct. VAR is not to blame, it's the idiots in Stockley park who are making stupid decisions
They are doing what they have been instructed to do.

I'd like to see them come up with an interpretation based on the forward gaining a clear advantage to overturn a goal. For examples:
- A forward is not gaining a clear advantage if their armpit is marginally offside, what the heck does that gain them in an attacking sense unless they score with that armpit at that precise moment?
- A forward is not gaining a clear advantage if even his foot is 1/5 inch offside in the build up to a goal.
- As Sourness suggested, if his whole body is standing offside - that is a clear advantage gained.

I'm sure the VAR absolutists will hate it, but I think it's clear we need to relax the enforcement of offside rules when under VAR review.

Valley Blue

Supports
Manchester City
VAR is a positive on the whole for football, just not in this league, it needs drastic improvement not binning.
Agreed, why we are not allowing the referee to look at the monitor in the ground is beyond me, works very well elsewhere.
These super tight off side decisions are eventually going to kill the game, we have to give some benefit of the doubt to the attacker, they are sucking the joy out of the game.

Darth Revan

Even Liverpool’s competition seem to getting the rough end of these decisions and I don’t recall many going against Liverpool under VAR - certainly not when the game is close, maybe when 3 or 4 up?
Against Villa while losing 0:1 Firmino was called offside by VAR, and against watford while it was 0:0, Mane's hip was offside by VAR

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Agreed, why we are not allowing the referee to look at the monitor in the ground is beyond me, works very well elsewhere.
These super tight off side decisions are eventually going to kill the game, we have to give some benefit of the doubt to the attacker, they are sucking the joy out of the game.
The referee will only look at the monitor on subjective matters. Offside is factual so even if they do start using the monitors, they won't use them for offside

Josep Dowling

No wonder a Liverpool fan is saying that. It basically fecked Man City over all season and let you remain unbeaten. You would still be top of the league but there is no way you would be so far ahead without VAR.

ARS

To all those saying “clear and obvious” doesn’t come into offsides, I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick.

If someone is miles on and a goal is disallowed, that’s CLEAR AND OBVIOUS.

Same thing if someone is miles off and the goal was given, also CLEAR AND OBVIOUS.

Anything that is touch and go would be the linesman’s room for error, or “umpires call” as it is in cricket.

Iceicebaby

Supports
Liverpool
We’ve had plenty go against us. Had plenty for us too.
Just gets ignored here cause posters like making them feel better by posting LiVARpool and corrupt FA. Funny how it basically mirrors how many talked about SAF, Fergie time etc.
it was bullshit then and it is now.

VAR is a disaster though.

but of the top of my heads calls that have gone against Liverpool:
Firmino armpit offside vs Villa.
Penalty not given vs Sheffield and Villa
Origi foul(which I know people won’t agree with here)
Matip vs Newcastle