Premier League Festive Season

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Southampton defended amazingly tonight, the pace Liverpool play at is hard to defend against, and they put you under so much pressure. Fair play they restricted them very well.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Plenty on here blamed our shite defence on our attack being poor before.
But issue was we were playing defensive midfielders and had no attacking outlet before Bruno arrived as Pogba was injured. We weren't dominating as Liverpool were against Southampton. It's their front 3 which should be blamed because their build up wasn't an issue like ours

And Owen actually made a good point. Defence can actually affect how a team approach a game. With a solid defense most managers wouldn't look or feel the need to play with 2 sitting midfielders like we're currently doing which then affect how we attack.

A team that has complete faith in their defense would go forward and attack with much more freedom and less worry than a team that has a leaky defense.

I don't know what's throwing @pratyush_utd off from what Owen said.
Almost entire second half Liverpool played near Southampton penalty box. It's in the final 3rd that Liverpool messed it up. Saying Defence is responsible for that js not being honest. They have 2 ball playing CM playing as CB who can pass the ball well. I don't think anyone who watched the game would say Liverpool were ever in danger of conceding apart from one mistake by GK in that second half. Not sure what difference CB would have made which Fabinho and Henderson couldn't do.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I mentioned it in the title race thread. I think we've reached our mental breaking point. Playing like a relegation fodder team. Good knows how long this will last. Buying anyone in the January window won't change anything. Maybe the Utd game is what we need to get our shit back together.

Them match stats of Southampton's tonight I'd take that now against United if it means we're on the winning end. As horrible as it would be to watch, I'd take that over this possessive obsessive but not actually doing anything nonsense right now. Klopp needs to mix it up and we do the opposite to teams for a change, but we know full well he won't go full on Mourinho to United at home, just be more of the same again with similar result.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Them match stats of Southampton's tonight I'd take that now against United if it means we're on the winning end. As horrible as it would be to watch, I'd take that over this possessive obsessive but not actually doing anything nonsense right now. Klopp needs to mix it up and we do the opposite to teams for a change, but we know full well he won't go full on Mourinho to United at home, just be more of the same again with similar result.
Klopp has nearly everything but he doesn't have this capability. It will be his way which, like you say, could be more of the same shit if players aren't mentally buying into it.

What's the opposite of mentality monsters? We're that now. Mentality pussies?

city-puma

But issue was we were playing defensive midfielders and had no attacking outlet before Bruno arrived as Pogba was injured. We weren't dominating as Liverpool were against Southampton. It's their front 3 which should be blamed because their build up wasn't an issue like ours

Almost entire second half Liverpool played near Southampton penalty box. It's in the final 3rd that Liverpool messed it up. Saying Defence is responsible for that js not being honest. They have 2 ball playing CM playing as CB who can pass the ball well. I don't think anyone who watched the game would say Liverpool were ever in danger of conceding apart from one mistake by GK in that second half. Not sure what difference CB would have made which Fabinho and Henderson couldn't do.
I think they do miss VVD a lot but not in defense. VVD can score from set pieces in vital moments. They now do not have that extra weapon anymore.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Alisson was unbelievably shit tonight. What in the feck was he doing so far off his line for the goal?

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We’re weren’t getting enough opportunities to test opposition keeper. Tonight we had plenty of the ball but the final pass was atrocious. Against Newcastle we had plenty of chances but the finishing was poor. Against West Brom we lost control of the game in the second half. Three games, three different problems at the core of why we didn’t win.

I don’t think this will last though. It’s three games where things haven’t clicked. Before West Brom we were looking like running away with it. Beat United and it all turns on its head.

This is a season where everyone needs to accept they’re going to have dips and we’re no different.

city-puma

We’re weren’t getting enough opportunities to test opposition keeper. Tonight we had plenty of the ball but the final pass was atrocious. Against Newcastle we had plenty of chances but the finishing was poor. Against West Brom we lost control of the game in the second half. Three games, three different problems at the core of why we didn’t win.

I don’t think this will last though. It’s three games where things haven’t clicked. Before West Brom we were looking like running away with it. Beat United and it all turns on its head.

This is a season where everyone needs to accept they’re going to have dips and we’re no different.
Fair evaluation. Your team is in the downhill from the peak. It is common. Still many games, too early now to draw any meaningful conclusion. Your team definitely remains favorite.
hope our young team can compete all the way to the end and win it eventually. They have the potential to learn just by keeping winning games.

peridigm

Whats the proper context of this? Surely he was asked about United right? He didnt just start talking about United while complaining about his loss. Also, what is the actual stat, is he right? :lol:
I’d like to know how many more league titles we’d have won if VAR was in place since 92. Hint: it’s less than 17. :devil:

InfiniteBoredom

Before West Brom we were looking like running away with it. Beat United and it all turns on its head.
Where does this idea come from?

You failed to have successive league wins throughout the month of November to the Spurs game, and that trend would have continued but for the last minute winner. The thing is whenever you won, it was by a big score line or against a top 6 side, that’s why it looked better than it really was.

I wouldn’t have put money in it, but before the Boxing Day - New Year fixtures kicked in, I said we could’ve been top even with the game in hand because the 3 teams you just played are precisely the sort of teams you have troubles beating recently. Your team is playing more like a cup side at the moment, up for it in the big games and CL fixtures but thoroughly anemic in the grind. I don’t expect us to get more than 1 pt at best at Anfield in the 17th but I don’t see your issue going away anytime soon. 4 pts out of every possible 6 would still see you up there come the end of this season though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Where does this idea come from?

You failed to have successive league wins throughout the month of November to the Spurs game, and that trend would have continued but for the last minute winner. The thing is whenever you won, it was by a big score line or against a top 6 side, that’s why it looked better than it really was.

I wouldn’t have put money in it, but before the Boxing Day - New Year fixtures kicked in, I said we could’ve been top even with the game in hand because the 3 teams you just played are precisely the sort of teams you have troubles beating recently. Your team is playing more like a cup side at the moment, up for it in the big games and CL fixtures but thoroughly anemic in the grind. I don’t expect us to get more than 1 pt at best at Anfield in the 17th but I don’t see your issue going away anytime soon. 4 pts out of every possible 6 would still see you up there come the end of this season though.
I personally think we’ll improve eventually. We normally do under Klopp. The tempo is off in the games against opponents like tonight. I think that can be fixed. Jota coming back would help freshen it up a bit.

After Palace we were looking like the best side in the league up to that point, capable of picking up the most points over the season. Now I’m not so sure but we’ll see how it goes.

It’s definitely a race.

croadyman

Owen is blaming Liverpool attack impotency on not having first choice defenders.
Sometimes I wish we could scratch Owen from Utd's playing history, Ince played a big part in the first two leagues we won but he has torched his bridges with the club when he joined the scousers.

Needham

I’d like to know how many more league titles we’d have won if VAR was in place since 92. Hint: it’s less than 17. :devil:
If VAR was in place a century ago Huddersfield would probably still be a major force.

Gasolin

And Owen actually made a good point. Defence can actually affect how a team approach a game. With a solid defense most managers wouldn't look or feel the need to play with 2 sitting midfielders like we're currently doing which then affect how we attack.

A team that has complete faith in their defense would go forward and attack with much more freedom and less worry than a team that has a leaky defense.

I don't know what's throwing @pratyush_utd off from what Owen said.
All opinions are valid, but it's a bit weird to hold the defense responsible for the shots on target in the last 3 EPL games: 2 (for 17) vs WBA, 4 (for 11) vs Newcastle and 1 (for 17) vs Southampton. For 2D1L = 2 pts. That's 7 shots on target for 1 goal and 2 pts.

That's after a 7:0 win vs Crystal Palace where they had 14 shots and 8 on target.
They have a problem shooting on target right now, but not necessarily on the shots.

Is the defense really responsible for the lack of shots on target though?

Compare that to United last 3 EPL games: 4 (for 9) vs Leicester, 3 (for 11) vs Wolves and 9 (for 19) vs Aston Villa. For 2W1D = 7 pts.
That's 16 shots on target for 5 goals and 7 pts.

And we only had one penalty on those 5 goals.

Liverpool attack has a psychological issue right now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
All opinions are valid, but it's a bit weird to hold the defense responsible for the shots on target in the last 3 EPL games: 2 (for 17) vs WBA, 4 (for 11) vs Newcastle and 1 (for 17) vs Southampton. For 2D1L = 2 pts. That's 7 shots on target for 1 goal and 2 pts.

That's after a 7:0 win vs Crystal Palace where they had 14 shots and 8 on target.
They have a problem shooting on target right now, but not necessarily on the shots.

Is the defense really responsible for the lack of shots on target though?

Compare that to United last 3 EPL games: 4 (for 9) vs Leicester, 3 (for 11) vs Wolves and 9 (for 19) vs Aston Villa. For 2W1D = 7 pts.
That's 16 shots on target for 5 goals and 7 pts.

And we only had one penalty on those 5 goals.

Liverpool attack has a psychological issue right now.
I don’t watch Liverpool week in week out but everytime I watch them play they often wasteful, but the Crystal Palace was one of rare occasion. In that game, every shots on target were goals, I think the only save that the keeper made was when the score already 5-0 or 6-0. Everything just went their way in that match, from early goal, sleeping defending from palace and Ayew wasted opportunity twice to equalise the score to 1-1.

This psychological issue could be because one of the two factors. One, their players might be exhausted, with Jota injured, they played the same front three all the time. Although, you have to blame Klopp if he overplayed his players because Minamino started against Palace, played well, scored, won 7-0 and he rested Salah, and since then Minamino didn’t start any of their last three matches.

Two, it could be because this is the very first time they are becoming heavy favourite this season and teams were tailing them & put them under pressure. They might not able to handle the pressure.

However, one thing for sure, I’m not sure whether VVD would fix their finishing problem. He can save them by scoring headers in set pieces though which they often done it last season and two seasons ago.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Future Utd manager maybe?
You know, I wouldn’t mind in the slightest. It’s not just passion it’s his method of playing. If he has players of world class potential he could have an outstanding side. He’s looking better than Poch did at Southampton

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The holiday schedule literally looks like it was drawn up by RAWK:

Absolutely insane that Liverpool failed to win a match considering they literally got to choose how the fixture list turned out. And don't give me that bollocks about too much rest being bad for a team..

Steve Bruce

It doesn't matter where Mane was going, there was quite obviously enough contact to take him off balance.
When a diver doesn't get what he wants when he does get fouled, how can you complain. This is something I said when Ashley Young didn't get fouls because of his past diving antics. What comes around goes around

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When a diver doesn't get what he wants when he does get fouled, how can you complain. This is something I said when Ashley Young didn't get fouls because of his past diving antics. What comes around goes around
No one is complaining. I'm celebrating in fact. Just being fair in saying if Pogba was a pen vs Villa, Mane was a pen vs Southampton

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
It doesn't matter where Mane was going, there was quite obviously enough contact to take him off balance.
While I agree it doesn't matter where Mane was going or indeed where on the pitch the ball is. The bit about enough contact for him to fall I don't agree with though.
Mane stopped running and dived when he knew he wasn't going to get to the ball before it went out of play.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I've been nervous for a while. We've let Man City right back in and it's fecking annoying. Win their games in hand and they're only one point behind us. Not good.
nice attempt.
See what you did there, how very clever of you.
I would take a closer look at the table pretty boy.
Looking too far over your shoulder at City might not be what you need to look out for.
How did Dumbstar survive the cull of Liverpool fans? Comedy value?
He's becoming like a super irritating version of Glaston. Which is an incredible thing to say.
He's not even funny though. He's a moron.

He's as bad as Glaston
so you are assuming City win their two games in hand, and United lose theirs?

On the United forum after such an abject performance - you are on the windup.
I posted the above exactly a month ago. Full conviction, no backing down despite the (blind but understandable) abuse on here.

Well here we are after a month exactly as I said it would be. And now you all agree it's City's title and no one else's. @Judas this is how I survived. With fachts, la.

@Dumbstar is alright. He's showing his face despite the rubbish results. Yes he's a WUM but he can take it back.
Cheers mate. But I wasn't WUMing in this case as you can see.