Premier League Fixtures 16th - 23rd

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Nah, too much money, getting too smart about it, and with Guardiola in charge they'll keep churning out 90+ points season.

Liverpool sure, i expect them to fall off, but not City, and in general i expect league winners in the 90+ points for a while yet. United need to improve to that level to win in the near future imho
He won't be there forever though. Give it another two years and I think he'll pack it in. They need a lot of investment too. Similar to us they have several players hitting their 30's.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Right?! It's so much more relaxing watching games when you're rubbish. We really need to win tomorrow if we're going to keep alive in this race.

FA Cup game seems so worthless on Sunday.
United vs Liverpool is never worthless, although I think Ole will make sweeping changes to the starting XI. He'll be fully focused on the title at this point.

Not gonna lie, I jumped off my chair and celebrated, then I realized it was wide.
All that matters is another 3 points on the board in a hectic part of the season. I thought you were comfortable for the most part and should have been a couple up before the late nerves. There is something about you guys, seeing Pogba with clenched fists etc.. seems miles away from 2 months ago. A real fight about you guys now you've been missing for awhile. 80ish points from your last 38 games too, around the same as both Liverpool and City. Could be a 3 horse race till the end, 4 if Leicester don't fall away.
Yeah, there is fight in this team. I've lost count of how many times we've come from behind to win the game this, especially away from home.

80 points from 38 games? I had no idea it was so high, even with Bruno's impact.

DavidDeSchmikes

Right?! It's so much more relaxing watching games when you're rubbish. We really need to win tomorrow if we're going to keep alive in this race.

FA Cup game seems so worthless on Sunday.
:eek:
Even if it is Manchester United v Liverpool!!

cyberman

Nah, too much money, getting too smart about it, and with Guardiola in charge they'll keep churning out 90+ points season.

Liverpool sure, i expect them to fall off, but not City, and in general i expect league winners in the 90+ points for a while yet. United need to improve to that level to win in the near future imho
City are on course for two 81 point seasons in a row? They arent dominating the play enough to be getting 90 imo

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I hate how invested in games I am again now, I forgot just how fecking miserable I got at times under Fergie when we dropped points in a title race. I was screaming at the TV tonight I was so pissed off with what I was seeing haven't been like that for years :(
It's even worse when the expectation is that you're going to compete for, and possibly win the league. Bad performances are way more frustrating. We were awful against Brighton, Fulham, West Brom etc which are all games we should be winning. We were so well placed after beating Spurs & Palace too.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
United vs Liverpool is never worthless, although I think Ole will make sweeping changes to the starting XI. He'll be fully focused on the title at this point.
I wouldn't shed a tear if we went out. Winning an FA Cup does little imo. Yeah not sure what Klopp will do. Maybe some changes but not the entire team? I'm sure neither manager will want that loss on their record.
:eek:
Even if it is Manchester United v Liverpool!!
Meh, FA Cup.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Yeah, there is fight in this team. I've lost count of how many times we've come from behind to win the game this, especially away from home.

80 points from 38 games? I had no idea it was so high, even with Bruno's impact.
Yeah I was surprised its so tight when I saw it as it feels like Liverpool would have miles more but since the start of the 2nd half of last season its been close. I don't know exact numbers but everyone between 77 and 82 or something.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Just checked our fixtures:

Burnley (H)
United (A) FA Cup
Spurs (A)
West Ham (A)
Brighton (H)
City (H)
Leicester (A)
Leipzig (A) Champions League
Everton (H)

Feels like this run will make or break our season.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Just checked our fixtures:

Burnley (H)
United (A) FA Cup
Spurs (A)
West Ham (A)
Brighton (H)
City (H)
Leicester (A)
Leipzig (A) Champions League
Everton (H)

Feels like this run will make or break our season.
Our season has already been broken with the previous run. This next run is to get out of the FA Cup ASAP and beat Leipzig. While getting just enough points to finish comfortably in top 4.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Our season has already been broken with the previous run. This next run is to get out of the FA Cup ASAP and beat Leipzig. While getting just enough points to finish comfortably in top 4.
Top 4? You are only 6 points off the top with a game in hand.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah we're only 6 points off though. It's only just halfway too.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Top 4? You are only 6 points off the top with a game in hand.
It's the squad health really. Mentally, and obviously physically, we are broken. You'll understand the physical side where you had to play Fernandinho at CB a whole season thus denying your midfield one of the best defensive CMs at the time.

I'm just hoping we have enough juice for another CL trophy which is less demanding with what we have. City are not dropping any points in the next four games and we will be. So by the time we meet it will be the dreaded 7-10 points difference in February. Too much, too late.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
He won't be there forever though. Give it another two years and I think he'll pack it in. They need a lot of investment too. Similar to us they have several players hitting their 30's.
City do still have a lot of players of a fairly good age. Ederson 27, Mendy 25, Dias 23, Stones 26, Laporte 26, Zinchenko 24, Ake 25, Rodri 24, Bernardo 26, KDB 29, Foden 20, Torres 20, Gundogan 30, Jesus 23, Cancelo 26, Sterling 26. Fernandinho is 35 and Aguero is 32.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
City are on course for two 81 point seasons in a row? They arent dominating the play enough to be getting 90 imo
They are this season because of the unique circumstances. Soon as things are back to normal they will sign a top striker and go right back to burning the league to the ground

Last season was an anomaly

cyberman

They are this season because of the unique circumstances. Soon as things are back to normal they will sign a top striker and go right back to burning the league to the ground

Last season was an anomaly
Is it that unique if theyre heading for the exact same points total as last season though?
This season isnt as strange as it looks. This time last year the top 3 were leicester, Liverpool and City. The only difference is Utd have improved and Liverpool havent won 17 out of 18(!)
Its gonna be 3 seasons out of 5 that Pep hasnt reached 90 points, youre giving them a lot of credit here.

Robertd0803

Not sure how Fulham are in the position they are in. That awful start has really given them a mountain to climb.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’ll leave this here. Same night, different league. What’s the difference?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I’ll leave this here. Same night, different league. What’s the difference?
He's onside the ref got it wrong. More than likely the linesman flagged too early or the whistle was blown before the defender touched it. Didn't hear it in the video cause its a replay. I'd like to see the non-replay version.
That is exactly why the Rodri goal doesn't happen often, ref's used to blow on spotting the flag, now they aren't supposed to flag and let it play out. Had that played out and Juve scored its a goal.

Adam-Utd

He's onside the ref got it wrong. More than likely the linesman flagged too early or the whistle was blown before the defender touched it. Didn't hear it in the video cause its a replay. I'd like to see the non-replay version.
That is exactly why the Rodri goal doesn't happen often, ref's used to blow on spotting the flag, now they aren't supposed to flag and let it play out. Had that played out and Juve scored its a goal.
This is the problem though, this is flagged as offside 99/100.

It really IS being offside.

People are misinterpreting the rule of "playing the ball" - controlling it isn't playing it. Playing the ball is passing it, if the defender controls the ball then tries to pass it back to his keeper and there's somebody standing offside, they're now active.

You can't just come running up behind a defender who's just tried to block a through ball and nick it off him, that isn't a new phase of play and you're interfering with play.

Riddle me this;

IF Bernado Silva's header was going between the CB and the fullback, and Sterling read it beautifully and was off chasing it, what is mings supposed to do in that situation? is he supposed to leave it?

Controlling the ball is not what this rule is about. It was intended to stop back passing, not strikers standing in offside positions trying to steal the ball from defenders :houllier:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
This is United's chance to win the league

Once things go back to normal they'd need to get much much much better than this to compete with city. This season though? You can win a title on individual quality alone
If anything, I'd say it's our collective efforts and togetherness that has gotten us to where we are right now. I still don't think we quite have what we need to get over the line, but I'm more impressed by the team spirit and cohesiveness this year, something we'd been lacking in previous seasons.

Stocar

People are misinterpreting the rule of "playing the ball" - controlling it isn't playing it. Playing the ball is passing it, if the defender controls the ball then tries to pass it back to his keeper and there's somebody standing offside, they're now active.
No, you've just made this up. Where does it say that "controlling isn't playing it"? By that logic, defender could hang on to the ball indefinitely, and the forward would be stuck in an offside position until defender decides to pass.

Game must be reset at some point, and yesterday's decision was reasonable. Defender had control of the ball and enough time to make a pass, drive with it, shield it, or simply punt it. He was just too careless and didn't control it well enough.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

No, you've just made this up. Where does it say that "controlling isn't playing it"? By that logic, defender could hang on to the ball indefinitely, and the forward would be stuck in an offside position until defender decides to pass.

Game must be reset at some point, and yesterday's decision was reasonable. Defender had control of the ball and enough time to make a pass, drive with it, shield it, or simply punt it. He was just too careless and didn't control it well enough.
Well clearly not as somebody else onside would press the ball.

We're talking very small time periods here - Mings had literally no chance to control the ball and pass it away. Before the ball even touched the floor Rodri was there nicking it off him.

We've seen so many times before where a player has gone offside, come back and interfered with play and it's deemed offside, how is this any different? it just makes no sense.

Stocar

We're talking very small time periods here - Mings had literally no chance to control the ball and pass it away.
Here's where we disagree. He had more than enough time, but didn't chest it down good enough, hence lost control of the ball. The game was rightly reset.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yeah. All keeps accidently save the ball. It's all unintentional.

Feel free to show me the legislation that differentiates between the two. You know, as opposed to you just deciding it.
Who said anything about saves being an accident? A save isn’t considered an intentional play of the ball. A block isn’t an accident either, it’s still not an intentional play of the ball. Players are offside all the time after a keeper saves.

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
• “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this definition
• “interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate
• “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from
playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s
line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball
• “gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.
https://www.thefa.com/~/media/files...-interpretations-of-the-laws-of-the-game.ashx

Feel free to look up the legislation yourself next time and learn the actual law’s of the game. Some people actually know the laws and don’t need to make anything up.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I can see Liverpool spank Burnley tonight. What is it, 3 games without a goal scored for them now? It has to end sometime.

I think floodgates will open. 4-0.

Crustanoid

I can see Liverpool spank Burnley tonight. What is it, 3 games without a goal scored for them now? It has to end sometime.

I think floodgates will open. 4-0.
Burnley will bend over so far they will be perpendicular.

There’s more chance of Liverpool recording the first treble figure score of English football tonight than Burnley getting a point here.

always_hoping

Klopp's record against Burnley in Anfield

July 2020 1-1
March 2019 4-2 win
September 2017 1-1
March 2017 - 2-1 win

In Sean Dyche we trust tonight for (fingers crossed) at least another draw. A win highly unlikely with Liverpools unbeaten record in Anfield and Burnley whom haven't won in Anfield since the 70s

BlahRules

Klopp's record against Burnley in Anfield

July 2020 1-1
March 2019 4-2 win
September 2017 1-1
March 2017 - 2-1 win

In Sean Dyche we trust tonight for (fingers crossed) at least another draw. A win highly unlikely with Liverpools unbeaten record in Anfield and Burnley whom haven't won in Anfield since the 70s
I can see a pattern ..Liverpool to win the next game and the following will be a draw.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Don’t know if I’ll tune in later. Two teams who’ll spend the 90 minutes hoofing the ball and diving on the ground with the slightest touch?

No, ta.
We all know you will, and will post at HT about the two long passes we attempted declaring us Longball FC. This is how it is.

I'll be upset if you don't.