Premier League Gameweek 1

Barthez

Very impressed with Arsenal tonight. Definitely top 4 finishers which mean we’ll be battling it out with Chelsea and Spurs for that final spot IMO.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I love how Saka's done nothing all game but because a Palace defender headed into his own net inexplicably from a Saka cross 'he's class' :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Did more than both of them combined last season. It's justified why he's in the England side and why our two players aren't.
The only reason he is in the England side is because Southgate is a negative manager who picks his wingers based on their defensive work and not their on the ball work. In which case, fair enough. But like, in any normal system where you focus on what they bring on the ball, they aren't on the same planet

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'm pleased with this arsenal performance. After pre season I was concerned they might be getting better.

One game I know, but at best these look like they did last season to me. They'll get taken apart by the better sides as usual
Bit harsh, nobody is really flying first game. I'm certainly not expecting Ten Hag to take us to his best level in the first fixture. Takes a few games.

TheReligion

Abusive
Our lads actually have to play better than him before we claim it's a laughing matter. Let's not be RAWK
I’m laughing at how pathetic it is to bring up United at every opportunity so as to shit on the club. This place is great for it.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
The only reason he is in the England side is because Southgate is a negative manager who picks his wingers based on their defensive work and not their on the ball work. In which case, fair enough. But like, in any normal system where you focus on what they bring on the ball, they aren't on the same planet
Like Sterling? Think people are in denial here if you can't see that Saka has been better than both Sancho and Rashford for a year now.

bosnian_red

Very impressed with Arsenal tonight. Definitely top 4 finishers which mean we’ll be battling it out with Chelsea and Spurs for that final spot IMO.
Really? They got pretty much dominated by palace. Wasn't remotely impressive

Bobski

His stats are horrible, no matter the era tbh
1 in 6 over his career for a guy who has alternated between striker and wide forward, a bit of an anomaly really. He is a good footballer in many ways, very good technique, holds the ball up well, tactically switched on, just not a threat.

Superunknown

Saka is actually class. I'd have him over either Sancho/Rashford if offered.
I was all ready to take the piss, but I checked their stats for last season. Saka outscored both of them combined. :houllier:

Doesn't mean I'd swap him, though. Rather that Sancho and Rashford had underwhelming seasons in a year where we were pretty poor. I expect both to do much better this year.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
3 points and a clean sheet away from home. First game of the season you can’t ask for much more. Arsenal for sure have to buy a right back and center back in the next windows along with a midfielder but they are in the right direction.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
3 points and a clean sheet away from home. First game of the season you can’t ask for much more. Arsenal for sure have to buy a right back and center back in the next windows along with a midfielder but they are in the right direction.
They’re a few players short. Their depth is woeful. Look at that bench..

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Wasn’t that impressed with Arsenal. Played in their own half for 65 mins out of the 90. If Palace had better finishers they would have come away with 3 points.

bosnian_red

Like Sterling? Think people are in denial here if you can't see that Saka has been better than both Sancho and Rashford for a year now.
Sterling who was benched by Pep in favor of 2 england players who don't start for England you mean?

United has had a disaster year. Ignore it. Look at what Sancho has done in his career before then. Its a crazy statement to make.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Really? They got pretty much dominated by palace. Wasn't remotely impressive
Ok, that is a really tough place to go and win, especially under the lights first game of the season. I don't think Palace lost by more than 1 goal in any home game last season.

Man Utd play there soon I believe. Let's see if you do better... I'll be back to see you.

Really pleased with that, Saliba is top class.

"Like fair enough over Rashford if that's your preference, but over Sancho is like saying you prefer Mahrez to Messi, not on the same planet"

Werner scored every week in Germany, outscored Harry Kane, are they 'not on the same planet' either? embarrassing pal.

Last edited:

Bogart-er

Supports
Arsenal
Not the best performance but you could definitely see the traps Arsenal set up off the ball worked well in the first half. Second half was more back to the walls but CP had little to show for it.

Palace is always going to be a tough away fixture for most sides not named Liverpool and Manchester City.

Caesar2290

Did more than both of them combined last season. It's justified why he's in the England side and why our two players aren't.
If we are to judge our players based on last season, we have to sell every single one of them. Let's wait and see what they can do with proper coaching.

I have a feeling that both Rashford and Sancho will surprise a lot of people this year.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Saliba by far a cut above the rest in defence. Unless he signs a contract he will leave on a free to the likes of PSG, Madrid etc.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wasn’t that impressed with Arsenal. Played in their own half for 65 mins out of the 90. If Palace had better finishers they would have come away with 3 points.
It was actually quite reassuring. After all the hype about their new signings they looked just as flawed as they did last season. So negative and sterile.

cyberman

Arsenals biggest problem will be Arteta and his need to sit back after scoring or playing well. I don’t think this side is cut out for counter attacks

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
It was actually quite reassuring. After all the hype about their new signings they looked just as flawed as they did last season. So negative and sterile.
We will have to win 10-0 for Pogue to not put a dig in :). That is a great win, believe me. You will find out soon enough.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Deffo. The Arteta fetishists will be rubbing something with glee calling it a new dawn it looked like a last season performance with a little opening fixture luck.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Arsenal definitely dominated the game and deserved to win, though I think Palace were denied a penalty in the first half when Gabriel clearly handled and which may have changed the game.

cabbs1989

Colour me not that impressed by arsenal, on another day palace score goals 2 or 3 , arteta plays horrible football

Deery

Dreary
Saliba by far a cut above the rest in defence. Unless he signs a contract he will leave on a free to the likes of PSG, Madrid etc.
Yeah he looked quality, so calm and assured in defence fast and decisive as well. You got a player there.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
They’re a few players short. Their depth is woeful. Look at that bench..
Yup, this match really illustrated that. We had a few players injured that would have been likely subs (ESR, Vieira, Tomiyasu) but we are a winger and a CM short right now. Our fitness levels weren't there, which isn't surprising, but the fact that Arteta didn't use any subs until like 85 minutes says a lot. If players like Pepe, Sambi, and Elneny aren't good enough to put on around 70 minutes when starters have no legs left at all, they aren't good enough period.

Superunknown

Yeah, can't disagree that it's a good result for them in their first game.
Looking at their squad though, if Jesus gets injured or underperforms, they don't really have many options there. They're improving their first 11, but a few squad/depth options are definitely still needed.

I'm also not all that convinced by their midfield. It looks a little better on paper than it does in reality. They didn't have that much control of the game, bar the opening half hour. It's definitely an area for improvement.

I think today's game is a reasonable indication of how their season will go. Sometimes looking great (like they did at the start), sometimes looking a bit poor (like they did for the middle), but will get enough good results (like they did at the end) to make it into the top 6 and push for fourth.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Arsenals biggest problem will be Arteta and his need to sit back after scoring or playing well. I don’t think this side is cut out for counter attacks
Yep - they've spent a tonne of money over the last couple of years now, but they'll be massively limited by him.

It's funny how the actual Arsenal legend with actual managerial experience is managing Palace, while the bloke who was at Arsenal for a bit while they were shit and put out cones for Pep for a couple of years is managing them.

bosnian_red

Our lads actually have to play better than him before we claim it's a laughing matter. Let's not be RAWK
Once Saka has achieved anything close to what Sancho achieved, then we can talk (cough having the most league goals and assist before age 20 out of any player after mbappe (just 1 behind) over the past 30+ years).

Its like Nani to Ronaldo. Mahrez to Messi. They aren't in the same tier at all

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
1 in 6 over his career for a guy who has alternated between striker and wide forward, a bit of an anomaly really. He is a good footballer in many ways, very good technique, holds the ball up well, tactically switched on, just not a threat.
And I think they've gotten significantly worse since playing in England

Superunknown

It's also a tactic that only really works if the team can defend very well and stop their opponents from creating chances. It doesn't really suit Arsenal's style of play. They'll get found out if they keep aiming to play like that. They're not a Mourinho-era Chelsea side. They haven't got the midfield or defence to pull that off.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Good win. Very similar to our 1-0 wins last year against Villa, Burnley and Wolves etc. The pattern seems to be, play well for the opening 30 minutes, grab a goal and setup defensively for the rest of the match.

Still don't like us inviting the pressure though as it only takes a funny bounce, dodgy penalty or Xhaka to balls the whole plan up.

Jesus is definitely an improvement over Lacazette and Saliba looks like a beast. Just need a new midfield general.