Premier League Gameweek 1

Bogart-er

Supports
Arsenal
Sancho is better than Henry. Henry didn't score as many goals as Sancho at that age.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not sure what people are expecting. It is the same team with a new forward and a left back. I don't expect the game play will be much different than last year.
And the same manager.

Tbf that's a good result to start the season. Top 4 will be close as always this year. Just hope we are in the mix for which I'm worried given our weakness in a few key areas. Would be awful if Spurs Chelsea and Arsenal pull away due to our transfer issues.

marktan

And the same manager.

Tbf that's a good result to start the season. Top 4 will be close as always this year. Just hope we are in the mix for which I'm worried given our weakness in a few key areas. Would be awful if Spurs Chelsea and Arsenal pull away due to our transfer issues.
Don't think so really, if either of Chelsea or Spurs don't make top four it'll be a serious failure given the investment they've made.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sancho is better than Henry. Henry didn't score as many goals as Sancho at that age.
I mean, once Saka actually does something in his career then maybe we can start comparing him to players who have already accomplished quite a bit... Its a crazy comparison is all.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
And the same manager.

The issue is consistency, and create more chance. The game play and tactics will be exactly the same as last year.

Anustart89

Definitely a good result for Arsenal to open the season, and results are everything at this point before they’re all up to speed, but their keeper had to make two top-class saves (or rather, defend two top-class chances with Eze badly missing his chance) whereas Guaita had little to do other than pick the ball out of the net. Arsenal had to defend for long bits of the game and a better team than Palace would surely punish them.

Thought Palace looked okay but lacking a threat down the middle apart from when Zaha dribbled inside. Missing Gallagher a lot IMO.

MalaysianRed7

The moment I knew the Prem had returned was when Zaha gave that look of incredulity after not getting a decision that we’ve all come to know and love after around 5 minutes.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, the Bundesliga, one of the top leagues in the world. Sancho has a record before the age of 20 of having just 1 goal or assist fewer than Mbappe, and those 2 are well clear of anyone else over the past 30+ year, for league goals and assists in the main 5 leagues. That's an insane record to have. Whatever the feck Saka has done (looked a good young player but that's literally it), isn't close. What Greenwood was doing wasn't close to what Sancho did, and this place pretty unanimously had Greenwood over Saka. There's tiers of players and talents. Saka and Sancho are not in the same tier, at all. Sancho has the potential and has previously shown a level that would have him among the best players in the league already. Saka hopes he can get there but doesn't really have that potential if we're honest. He's more of a peak Rashford tier potential.
His Bundesliga form doesn't mean anything now. He's a Premier League player, and an English International, so all that matters now is how he performs for his present teams.

As others have pointed out, there's been plenty examples of players, many of them at Utd, such as Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Van der Beek, that have impressive numbers in other leagues but can't translate them elsewhere.

Now, I'm of the opinion as well that Sancho is too good not to improve. But he really needs to start showing it in this league. Another poor season like last would see his stock drop dramatically.

Where is Ten Hag playing him? I was never convinced when I kept reading on here he was finally your solution on the right, as I've always liked him best when he played off the left.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I was all ready to take the piss, but I checked their stats for last season. Saka outscored both of them combined. :houllier:
Even Minamino scored as many as Sancho and Rashford combined last season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ah, to wake up with that sickness feeling that can only mean Everton are playing today. :yawn::drool:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I watched Crystal Palace play Pool out of the park last season, until VAR bailed them with a shite penalty (Jota I think). A very difficult team to beat at their home. Without Gallagher they are not just missing out a creative midfielder, but also lost out on playing Eze on the wings! He is much better beating fullbacks in space, than holding play and slipping balls through CBs. Arsenal were good for a good 15 mins or so! Gabriel Jesus bothers me, he is a world class talent lacking consistency. If he slots into rhythm, they will break the low blocks nicking their way to a top 4 CL spot.
Eze is wasted on the wing just FYI, completely ineffective there. The player we missed last night was Olise out wide.

We need a B2B midfielder to play with Eze and Doucoure. I think we’ll get one, been linked with Iliax Moriba and a few others but wouldn’t be shocked to see Gallagher back either. Now Benteke is gone (and being realistic about our likely budget) I really wouldn’t be averse to us giving Norwich a call about Teemu Pukki, think he’d be the the kind of striker that would just come in and finish some of these chances off. Also think AWB coming back is inevitable either now or next summer.

As for last night, thought Andersen was sensational and the best player on the park. One of those games that we would have got a point from on another evening. That’s football.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Once Saka has achieved anything close to what Sancho achieved, then we can talk (cough having the most league goals and assist before age 20 out of any player after mbappe (just 1 behind) over the past 30+ years).

Its like Nani to Ronaldo. Mahrez to Messi. They aren't in the same tier at all
'Sancho Achieved' 'Sancho is like Ronaldo and Messi' :lol: Sancho like Werner and Havertz and has performed well in the much lesser Bundesliga. Sancho's unproven in the PL, which is a far far harder league. Saka is PL proven and 18 months younger. Whoever becomes the better player, we'll see in time. I won't write Sancho off after 1 season, he may surpass Saka but it could be he doesn't have the pace for the PL.

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
Sancho is a good player. And he was consistent in the bundesliga for at least 2.5 years. Not to say that he won't progress after one bad season. But as many have said, new league, and still not demonstrated the possibility of replicating the early form.

But Saka shouldn't be written off either. It's normal for fans of their club to wax lyrical about their own players. (see Adnan and wilshere and where those went) and think said players have more "achievement"

Saka has been performing consistently for the last 2.5 years. Even if he didn't get more productive until last season. Don't forget he had 10 assists and 4 goals back in 2019. And he was was mostly playing left back that season. This is why many are saying that he has been doing well consistently for a long time. He's gone from strength to strength. Numbers aside, he's done a lot more to contribute to the build up play as well. And he does that for England too. He's become so integral to the first team despite his young age.

Woodzy

I’m strangely excited for the premier league this season compared to most seasons. Can’t really explain why since it’s been a shorter break as well.

mancan92

I mean, once Saka actually does something in his career then maybe we can start comparing him to players who have already accomplished quite a bit... Its a crazy comparison is all.
I don't think you have watched much of saka at all. He has been arsenal's best player for 2 seasons. Just admit you haven't watched much of him because otherwise you just look ridiculously bias. Most people would say they are at a similar level based on what we have seen. Sancho has performed in bundersliga but didn't set the world alight in the champions league, international level or Premier league. Saka has performed in the Premier league and for England so far. There is nothing in it. They are both top youngsters. But there is no levels between them right now. Just different talents.

Hoof the ball

Funny how so many people don't have a problem propping up Lewandowski's Ballon D'or claim based on his Bundesliga (and CL) exploits, but use Bundesliga as an argument against Sancho's credentials all the same. Which is it? :lol:

CallyRed

Fourth year in a row Liverpool have started the season against a newly promoted side (the TV told me this)

Blood Mage

Arsenal's attack is very dynamic and exciting and not that far off Liverpool and City's. Their midfield is shit though and that's why they'll struggle for top 4 like us (ours is worse of course).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think you have watched much of saka at all. He has been arsenal's best player for 2 seasons. Just admit you haven't watched much of him because otherwise you just look ridiculously bias. Most people would say they are at a similar level based on what we have seen. Sancho has performed in bundersliga but didn't set the world alight in the champions league, international level or Premier league. Saka has performed in the Premier league and for England so far. There is nothing in it. They are both top youngsters. But there is no levels between them right now. Just different talents.
Watched plenty of him! I like him. I just don't think he's an elite, elite talent and nowhere close to his potential as of yet. I don't think he's reached close to what Rashford showed at his best either, but that's his potential. And what Rashford showed at his best isn't at the level of what Sancho showed in his past. So... That's my logic. Sancho is an elite, elite talent in my opinion, I think the difference here is how he is rated. Bundesliga fans, fans who have properly seen Sancho and not just last season at United where it was a hopeless task, would all be pretty consistent in rating him higher. But anyway. You'll see this season!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Watched plenty of him! I like him. I just don't think he's an elite, elite talent and nowhere close to his potential as of yet. I don't think he's reached close to what Rashford showed at his best either, but that's his potential. And what Rashford showed at his best isn't at the level of what Sancho showed in his past. So... That's my logic. Sancho is an elite, elite talent in my opinion, I think the difference here is how he is rated. Bundesliga fans, fans who have properly seen Sancho and not just last season at United where it was a hopeless task, would all be pretty consistent in rating him higher. But anyway. You'll see this season!
I agree with you. I do think that if Sancho doesn't perform this season it will impact his reputation heavily but his performances in the Bundesliga were exceptional and of a level Saka hasn't reached before.