Premier League Gameweek 12

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What? VAR is literally there to correct mistakes. Oliver, for no reason at all, decided to not give a blatant handball in the box so VAR should have given it. Why else even have it?
Because based on the speed and limited reaction time, combined with the position of TAA’s arm, it’s not clear and obvious imo. At least not enough to overrule the referee.

Josep Dowling

Because based on the speed and limited reaction time, combined with the position of TAA’s arm, it’s not clear and obvious imo. At least not enough to overrule the referee.
I get you’re a Liverpool fan but his arm is clearly not in a natural position. It’s exactly the same scenario that effectively won you lot the Champions League final.

Bulldog United

Where is the consistency though? How can you spend 4 minutes for one offside decision on Saturday then the very next day take less than 10 seconds to review a right decision and not show a replay on how they made that decision?
There is no consistency. It's a mess. I have absolutely no idea how they decided he was onside so quickly today when it was a very close marginal call.

I'm mainly defending the first decision with how they arrived at it. I still don't think the way they are interpreting handballs is fair at all though. Why should defenders get treated differently to forwards when it comes down to accidental handballs?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I get you’re a Liverpool fan but his arm is clearly not in a natural position. It’s exactly the same scenario that effectively won you lot the Champions League final.
How?! Sissoko’s was up in the air pointing at something.

Alexander-Arnold’s was by his side, slightly elevated.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I should add Sissoko’s was a ridiculous decision as well. They’ve fecked the handball rule.

That Laporte one in the Spurs one was ludicrous.

Bulldog United

I should add Sissoko’s was a ridiculous decision as well. They’ve fecked the handball rule.

That Laporte one in the Spurs one was ludicrous.
That Laporte incident was the perfect illustration of the unfairness in how they interpret handballs. I can't believe they are sticking with this.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Also...who’s to say that Aguero scores the penalty? His record at Anfield points to it landing somewhere in the Kop.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I saw a match a while back which was something like 3-2 at halftime. In the tv studio, the first words the presenter said were "Now, let's take a look at that controversial penalty-claim..."

Says it all.
If your point is that everyone is so obsessed with refereeing decisions that they completely miss a good game being played in the meantime, I wholly agree.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If your point is that everyone is so obsessed with refereeing decisions that they completely miss a good game being played in the meantime, I wholly agree.
Yep. Plus, I also meant that broadcasters will create controversy even when, in reality, there isn't any. Sky are particularly guilty of this, as they are today (IMO).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Yep. Plus, I also meant that broadcasters will create controversy even when, in reality, there isn't any. Sky are particularly guilty of this, as they are today (IMO).
You could tell that Keane and Mourinho were fed up with it and just wanted to talk about the football. It was getting awkward at the end.

TheReligion

Abusive
It wasn't a handball by TAA because the moment the ball brushes the attackers hand, that's the first infringement because the rules are crazy biased in favour of defenders. The referee could have called for the Liverpool free kick absolutely, but the moment he allows the game to go on (for whatever reason - whether he saw it, or played an advantage) VAR is not going to go back and give Liverpool a free kick after they scored.

We can certainly say Liverpool were lucky that Oliver didn't blow up and give them the free kick before they had a chance to score. And Liverpool were all shades of lucky today both with the officiating and all the chances City wasted, as well as them missing Ederson too who would have saved two of those goals.
I'm not sure I see the logic in this.

If Liverpool were given an advantage due to the first handball from City then the ref should blow when TAA handles and give Liverpool a free kick. That's the advantage. You can't just ignore the TAA handball and claim to play advantage to Liverpool when the ball is bouncing around in their own box. The idea is laughable as who would say that's an advantage?

For your idea to have any semblance of sense the ref would have needed to blow on the TAA handball either way. To give a pen to City or to give Liverpool a free kick.

montpelier

Lamport assists a goal with his arm from what I remember

How is that one a wrong decision?

Anustart89

A few points.

At Old Trafford a few weeks ago Liverpool could have a foul and then Rashford runs down the other end of the pitch and scores. Origi dived, that tiny kick doesn't send a man spinning around completely. Heavy touch and tried to milk the tiny kick to cover for his feck-up

Mane then has a goal disallowed because the ball comes off his arm. Shocking seeing as the new rule states that the ball touching the hand and it then leading to a goalscoring opportunity or a goal is a handball. They don't check 'secondary' situations, ie if a blatant dive leads to a free kick that a goal is then scored from, then they don't pull it back (to Mané's delight...)

At Villa Park last week Firmino scored a goal that was disallowed because his armpit was offside! Tough shit, but it's offside. Tell that to Sheffield United where a big toe was offside

VAR isn't fixed towards Liverpool!

At first glance I thought the penalty against TAA would be given, but the fact that it comes of Silvas hand first is no different to the Mane Handball at Old Trafford. It is because Silvas handball didn't lead to a goal. TAA does not have a natural silhouette as the new law states, so should have been a penalty. Second handball was obviously not a penalty though

Salah is onside! He is played onside by Stones toe! I can't believe anybody is seriously disputing this?
And despite all of this, people are still ignoring Mané's blatant push on Sterling which is the most obvious penalty of them all, since Mané's lunging a yard to get a push in with no chance to win the ball.

Bulldog United

I'm not sure I see the logic in this.

If Liverpool were given an advantage due to the first handball from City then the ref should blow when TAA handles and give Liverpool a free kick. That's the advantage. You can't just ignore the TAA handball and claim to play advantage to Liverpool when the ball is bouncing around in their own box. The idea is laughable as who would say that's an advantage?

For your idea to have any semblance of sense the ref would have needed to blow on the TAA handball either way. To give a pen to City or to give Liverpool a free kick.
I absolutely agree, the referee should have blown. The fact that he didn’t whistle means the goal correctly stands once it goes to VAR. Oliver not blowing up for the free kick is Liverpool’s slice of luck in this instance, not the VAR decision afterwards.

VAR looks for infringements from the attacking side. So they checked for the penalty, once they ruled no pen - you don’t reward the initial Man City infringement by taking away the goal and awarding a free kick at the other end of the pitch.

Anustart89

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/0...k-and-free-kick-rule-changes-now-into-effect/

• Deliberate handball remains an offense. The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
    • The ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
    • A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The way I interpret this is that intent and reaction time is irrelevant as it's his responsibility to not make his body unnaturally bigger (which he IMO does) when the ball comes towards him.

TheReligion

Abusive
I absolutely agree, the referee should have blown. The fact that he didn’t whistle means the goal correctly stands once it goes to VAR. Oliver not blowing up for the free kick is Liverpool’s slice of luck in this instance, not the VAR decision afterwards.

VAR looks for infringements from the attacking side. So they checked for the penalty, once they ruled no pen - you don’t reward the initial Man City infringement by taking away the goal and awarding a free kick at the other end of the pitch.
VAR doesn't just look for infringements from the attacking side though.

I'm not sure what you're saying here? It's either a free kick to Liverpool for the Silva handball or a penalty to City for the TAA handball. You can't play advantage for the Silva handball as you suggested and simply ignore the TAA one. There's no advantage to be had in your own penalty box.

Obviously VAR decided no penalty so of course the goal stood.

Bulldog United

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/0...k-and-free-kick-rule-changes-now-into-effect/

• Deliberate handball remains an offense. The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
    • A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The way I interpret this is that intent and reaction time is irrelevant as it's his responsibility to not make his body unnaturally bigger (which he IMO does) when the ball comes towards him.
The issue is it brushes the attackers hand first before striking TAA. That’s why it’s no penalty under the new rules. It was a stonewall penalty otherwise I don’t care what Liverpool fans say. The City players knew it, but they probably wasn’t aware of the initial offence because it was very hard to spot.

It should have been a Liverpool free kick if Oliver had seen it, but that incident would have been hard to see real-time.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
And despite all of this, people are still ignoring Mané's blatant push on Sterling which is the most obvious penalty of them all, since Mané's lunging a yard to get a push in with no chance to win the ball.
The first 3 points i was just using to point out decisions that have gone against Liverpool as some people were suggesting that VAR gives everything for Liverpool.

Yeah I thought that Sterling would get a penalty for that.

Anustart89

The issue is it brushes the attackers hand first before striking TAA. That’s why it’s no penalty under the new rules. It was a stonewall penalty otherwise I don’t care what Liverpool fans say. The City players knew it, but they probably wasn’t aware of the initial offence because it was very hard to spot.

It should have been a Liverpool free kick if Oliver had seen it, but that incident would have been hard to see real-time.
I haven't seen the Bernardo handball, so can't really comment on it. But - if it was unintentional and his arm wasn't in a position where the body became 'unnaturally larger', then it's not an infringement. It also didn't create a goal or goalscoring opportunity (because it was stopped by TAA), so it shouldn't have been chalked off for that reason either IMO, similar to how a dive that wins a free kick that then leads to a goal isn't pulled back.

The rule's a bit of a mess though, because if TAA hadn't handled the ball and City wound up scoring, then it would've been disallowed for an unintentional contact leading to a goal.

Bulldog United

What you going on about here?

We are talking about the handball? Although you could argue it's the same phase of play as the goal. I'm not at all sure of the point you're making.
I don’t know what’s so difficult to understand.

VAR does not check if an attacking player was fouled in the build up to them scoring. It is irrelevant. As long as the referee doesn’t whistle before the ball touches the net, then the Liverpool players could have been fouled ten times in the buildup and the goal still would have stood.

I guess in this instance it’s muddied by the fact the City hand denied them a penalty. But once VAR has determined no penalty for that reason, it doesn’t consider rewarding City for the handball by chalking off the goal.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t know what’s so difficult to understand.

VAR does not check if an attacking player was fouled in the build up to them scoring. It is irrelevant. As long as the referee doesn’t whistle before the ball touches the net, then the Liverpool players could have been fouled ten times in the buildup and the goal still would have stood.
Why you telling me this:lol:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This talk is getting boring now. Clearly we don't all know and probably the refs don't either.

Anyway on to Utd's great form, they look great on Motd. Brighton aren't as shit as Utd made them look. I think Utd can really do well against City in a few weeks with those breakaway tactics and City's defence. Come on Utd. :devil:

Bulldog United

The rule's a bit of a mess though, because if TAA hadn't handled the ball and City wound up scoring, then it would've been disallowed for an unintentional contact leading to a goal.
Yep exactly this is the very thing that pisses me off the most. Defenders and attackers are treated differently for the same offence. It’s BS.

Bulldog United

I'm not saying anything about the goal though other than it should either be a pen to City or a free kick to Liverpool. Play should not just run on. I fully understand how it works.
Yes fundamentally we agree as I said several posts ago. It should have been called a free kick to Liverpool by the referee.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

Yeah I’ve actually seen it in slow motion and he seems to actually move his arm up slightly from his side which would suggest intent. You have to wonder why Oliver didn’t give it. VAR would’ve sided with him if he had.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not saying anything about the goal though other than it should either be a pen to City or a free kick to Liverpool. Play should not just run on. I fully understand how it works.
So because it hit Silva’s hand first we would’ve been given a free kick after a VAR check? Is that because City would’ve gained an advantage (TAA’s handball) as a result of the ball hitting Bernardo Silva’s hand?

Bulldog United

This talk is getting boring now. Clearly we don't all know and probably the refs don't either.

Anyway on to Utd's great form, they look great on Motd. Brighton aren't as shit as Utd made them look. I think Utd can really do well against City in a few weeks with those breakaway tactics and City's defence. Come on Utd. :devil:
Brighton adopted a suicidal game plan today. Their manager has form for it at his previous club in Sweden. He was lucky our inability to score consistently avoided him a much heavier defeat. 7-1 would have been a fair reflection on our total dominance today :D

City will certainly come at us too, but they obviously have the quality players to do it. You shouldn’t expect any favours from us. We stopped you winning the title last season by deliberately losing to City :drool:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Brighton adopted a suicidal game plan today. Their manager has form for it at his previous club in Sweden. He was lucky our inability to score consistently avoided him a much heavier defeat. 7-1 would have been a fair reflection on our total dominance today :D

City will certainly come at us too, but they obviously have the quality players to do it. You shouldn’t expect any favours from us. We stopped you winning the title last season by deliberately losing to City :drool:
:lol:

Yes you did. But remember this time you have a Liverpool fan in charge and, if I may be so bold, something of a fast becoming LFC legend. ;)

Edit : unless he was in charge then too? :rolleyes:

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah I’ve actually seen it in slow motion and he seems to actually move his arm up slightly from his side which would suggest intent. You have to wonder why Oliver didn’t give it. VAR would’ve sided with him if he had.
For me Jose summed up the major flaw in all of this, the same thing can happen next Saturday and the decision will be different. There is no consistency & no one, players, management or fans have a clue what to expect. Will the review be 30 seconds or 3 minutes, is it handball or not this week ? What constitutes a penalty ? Why were the monitors installed at the side of the pitch ? Nobody has the answers.

Utdstar01

Think City were unfortunate in some aspects of the game. Still well under par for them though performance-wise not helped by the fact De Bruyne and Sterling had big off days.