Premier League Gameweek 14 (28th, 29th November 2017)

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
They haven't just scraped a win though. They've played some incredible football, scored a shit load of goals, and have only dropped 2 points all season. They have also looked great in the CL.

I understand it's human nature to ignore facts and be optimistic and defiant, but I prefer realism.

There was a point last season when we won a couple games and were 5 points behind Chelsea and people started talking about a title challenge. We ended up over 20 points behind. But whatever. We're all free to believe what we want.
The point I'm making is nothing to do with how they play. They have played lovely football and have been scoring at will, I'm not 'ignoring the facts'. Tonight they did scrape a win - southampton had umpteen chances to take the lead in the first half and they score a 96th minute winner.

The point I'm putting across is that we're only in November with another 5/6 months left to go. A lot can happen in that time - injuries, fatigue from europe etc. That's also realism, unless you want to end the season now?

AshRK

Pep on MOTD
""I was telling Nathan Redmond how good he is at the end. Southampton have some super talented players, Redmond is so good one against one. But they didn't' want to play, they were time wasting from the ninth minute. I just wanted them to play."
Man I want this guy to lose the league badly so that he goes on a crazy rant. He wants everything in football done according to him. This guy is a cry baby. Well today could be a start of something crazy.

PexiGlass

They haven't just scraped a win though. They've played some incredible football, scored a shit load of goals, and have only dropped 2 points all season. They have also looked great in the CL.
They are doing what they do every season. They blitz teams early then fatigue sets in. They have been extremely lucky this season though which has enabled them to extend there usual run. You can see they are starting to tank. They have gone from winning 5 & 6 nil to scraping injury time wins. When the luck runs out the bad results will follow. The Refs won't let them play play extra extra time & they will get injuries.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I'm pretty convinced you're not a united fan and an oppo on the WUM.

Your posting is absolutely awful.
Been a lot of posts recently.... we'll lose to City home and away.... they're brilliant.... we're crap (Watford) ..... what do we do in training, we're poor....

Type of things I'd expect a City fan to be posting (and would be understandable).

AshRK

I don't mean in terms of talent or playstyle, I mean this season in the way he has been dragging us over the line when we've not played well, reminds me of how Cantona dragged you guys to 3pts many times in that chase when things were not going your way, popping up with late goals etc...
Again with all due respect to Sterling, Cantona had a personality which brought shivers in opponents players, Sterling nah.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
title challengers spurs only 16 points away now.

even burnley have leapfrogged them

padr81

Supports
Man City
Again with all due respect to Sterling, Cantona had a personality which brought shivers in opponents players, Sterling nah.
But thats not the comparison I was making, it is Sterling is popping up with late winners for us like Eric did for ye and how it must be frustrating seeing the same name with a late goal whenever said team digs out a win.

Camilo

No team plays great all season, but if you want to be champions you have to win when you're playing badly. I'm certainly not going to complain about added on time with our recent history!

3 minutes is standard, 4 minutes you wouldn't bat an eyelid at, but 5 MINUTES!?!??! THAT'S INSANE!!! UTTER MADNESS!!

And Moyes... Jesus, that's bad..

Jacko21

City will have plenty more games like tonight this season. And I’d hazard a guess that they won’t bail themselves out of each and every one.

We just need to keep winning. We’ll have opportunities to catch them. Just let things play out.

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
I'm pretty sure the ref press the button on his watch to stop time during the game to determine how much extra time to give. Don't think extra time is subjective anymore. Or at least they don't just pull out if their are.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I think teams are starting to work out how to play against City, Soton should have scored a few tonight and should definitely have been able to cling onto 1-1. Struggled past Huddersfield, scraped past Soton. Still favorites but hardly playing teams off the park.
Basically hope for set pieces, because that's the only way teams have been creating chances against them. Kompany was horrible, they would be better playing Mangala instead IMO. Walker was horrible too, and Sterling was completly missing until his goal.
It's crazy how this City team knows how to grind out results too

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
But thats not the comparison I was making, it is Sterling is popping up with late winners for us like Eric did for ye and how it must be frustrating seeing the same name with a late goal whenever said team digs out a win.
Yip. Remember it.... scored several goals in a run of about ten games and win us loads of extra points. QPR away was prime example.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yip. Remember it.... scored several goals in a run of about ten games and win us loads of extra points. QPR away was prime example.
Yeah just googled it to make sure I wasn't imagining it and in a period of 6 games you had 5 games where you only scored once. 4 wins and a draw and Cantona was the man who scored every goal (Of course you scored 3 against City in the only high scoring game in that run) and he finished with 6 goal in that 6 games run that turned the season on its head.

IhabX7

Winning in the last minutes isn't luck. We did it time and time again under Fergie, it's a mentality thing and the way you push and make pressure so big that eventually you break through.
I'm talking about the last minute deflection goals in the added minutes on top of extra time.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Wasn't expecting a win before KO but, that feels even worse with the late winner for City. Still at the end of the day we only dropped 1 point more then we were getting!

:angel::angel::angel:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Wasn't expecting a win before KO but, that feels even worse with the late winner for City. Still at the end of the day we only dropped 1 point more then we were getting!

:angel::angel::angel:
Thought you guys were excellent and with a bit of luck would have been 2 up at half time. Hard luck today. You seem to struggle to take the chances that come your way this season in general.

Sylar

Consistently scoring crucial late goals to win matches wasn't luck when we used to do it and it isn't luck now they are. In fact, the way they patiently played the ball around in front of the Saints defence, looking for and exploiting the gaps when they came was very familiar looking to anyone who enjoyed Fergie's era United.

Compare that to the way we hoof the ball up in desperation when we've looked for crucial late goals over the past few years - reminiscent of Charlton era Ireland, and it's not difficult to see why they're turning more draws into wins than we are.
Yep, they werent lumping the ball into the box which would have been easier to defend. They were passing it around, moving defenders around. in fact the goal was really smart play by Sterling and KDB. The finish was fantastic. It was avoidable of course, but that late into the match, it can happen that somebody makes a slight mistake.

sk6blue

Supports
Manchester City
Still don't understan why 5 minutes....
Forster was warned at least twice for time wasting and there was an injury to Soares which used up at least 2 minutes. Plus 2 goals in the 2nd half which adds on 1 minute and 4 second half subs. Watching the game I felt that 5 mins would be fair and was happy when the official held the board up, I don't think it was unreasonable but obviously I'm not a neutral.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Now you guys know how I felt like last season when Madrid kept scoring those late goals. :p

It doesn't feel good...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, I'm the kind of guy that says 'it's an 8 point gap and it's only December'.

Their form and ability to win their games is impressive there's no denying that. I never said I wasn't worried, but will they maintain this form throughout the season? Absolutely not. Why? Champions League, FA cup, League cup (to a lesser extent) and injuries inevitably take their toll on league form.

Totally irrational to be handing them the title when there's still 72 points up for grabs.
If they get 52 points out of those 72 -a very likely and realistic possibility- they'll finish on 92 points. That means you'd need 60 out of 72 just to have a chance on GD

You need to pull off an incredible run from here on out just to have an outside chance at the title...

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Basically hope for set pieces, because that's the only way teams have been creating chances against them. Kompany was horrible, they would be better playing Mangala instead IMO. Walker was horrible too, and Sterling was completly missing until his goal.
It's crazy how this City team knows how to grind out results too
I mean more how to defend against them and then give themselves a chance on the counter/set piece. WHUM next though so they can rest the first XI and still win 5-0!

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I mean more how to defend against them and then give themselves a chance on the counter/set piece. WHUM next though so they can rest the first XI and still win 5-0!
The thing though is that they still had clear chances and wasted them or they were stopped by good goal keeping and they've barely conceeeded any chances from open play