Premier League Gameweek 15 (2nd - 3rd December 2017)

minoo-utd

They are winning like champions do. :(
Not yet. They will have to beat us first if they failed and we won things will absolutely going to change, everything now work for them, from additional timing to injury free and so on, if we end up with only 5 pts gap next Sunday I bet Jose will have the final word in this league.

The United

They have been very lucky these previous games and anyone who denies this is either a City fan or Pep fanboy. If we were winning like this our fans will be saying we're waiting to be found out.

Next game is immense. It's up to us to stop them then.
Oh I wish we won games like that when things get tough.

And Jose's teams are well known for that as well. Nothing wrong with it. It is a long season.

cyberman

@giorno
Why is it unrealistic? City have regularly gone large portions of the season where their form has died away.
Is it realistic that Sterling continues his run of form? Can Sane get back to it?
All of that works both ways.
City doesn't seem to be the same side with 1 up top, their movement seems to be a lot duller because of it and they're relying more and more on moments rather than sustained brilliance.
Many sides have been top by December and fell away, I have no reason why arguing against extrapolating an attacking sides points total 14 games in seems wrong to you.
Would this City side have the same amount of points from their previous wins if they were tasked with playing the same fixtures over the next 2 months? How could they?

Martin(6)Buchan

Would we be so wound up about the league if it was Tottenham ? Give City credit can people not remeber when we went through a stage of scoring late goals or playing poorly and getting all three points its how champions are made. As much as it pains me they are going to take some stopping and we need to all three points this weekend, even if its just to put a doubt in the back of their minds.

Jacko21

Oh I wish we won games like that when things get tough.

And Jose's teams are well known for that as well. Nothing wrong with it. It is a long season.
For what it's worth, I thought our performances against Watford and Arsenal in the space of a few days, showed a marked progression on our part. Particularly our response to conceding in both games - what might have been a capitulation, instead saw us regain control (in the scoreline at least).

But winning from behind is different and I do think we have a little way to go before I see us a team who can overcome that on a regular basis. City to their credit, respond well to such circumstances - because they have an unwavering belief that their way of playing will yield results. Not unlike us in the years 06-09.

Only takes one defeat for that belief to waiver though - that's where we come in next week. :)

Ronetta

Supports
Man City
I hope the Ronetta curse strikes again. I remember your incredible arrogance about us being destroyed if we were to attempt to play football against you only for us to win 4-2 with your good self disappearing for months from here as a result. If we win we'll know why!
Incredible arrogance, suggesting my team might win. Ok if that's what you want to call it pal???!

You've a better memory than me. I've no recollection of that at all, but if I did get a prediction wrong, it's hardly a shocker is it. I don't win the pools EVERY week ;-)

But I stand by my comment that your best chance is to do what West Ham did today but better. We've walloped every team that didn't do that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@giorno
Why is it unrealistic? City have regularly gone large portions of the season where their form has died away.
It sounds realistic to you that Aguero -a guy who has scored 131 goals in 191 PL games- will go the entire rest of the season in his current slump?
Is it realistic that Sterling continues his run of form?
No, but the point is he doesn't have to
All of that works both ways.
City doesn't seem to be the same side with 1 up top, their movement seems to be a lot duller because of it and they're relying more and more on moments rather than sustained brilliance.
And those moments of brilliance are carrying them. And they are not coming by chance -city are stacked with players capable of producing those moments
Many sides have been top by December and fell away, I have no reason why arguing against extrapolating an attacking sides points total 14 games in seems wrong to you.
Because those sides that were top by december weren't anywhere near as stacked as this city side, or they were derailed by injury crises, and in any case none of them had accrued the amount of points city have got
Would this City side have the same amount of points from their previous wins if they were tasked with playing the same fixtures over the next 2 months? How could they?
But my point is that they don't have to. They could revert to last season's form and that would see them finish above 90 points

They got the hard part out of the way(40% of the total points they'd need to win the title, in 15 games), from here on out it's about managing their lead. Meaning avoid a complete meltdown, and only United going on a spectacular run, or Chelsea on a record-breaking one, could beat them to the title.

It's not quite over yet, but the chances of City not winning the title at this point are very, very slim

el3mel

Because fans are naturally harder on their own team and our prospects but the same applies the other way. Many, many fans on here were watching us win 4-0 each week at the start of the season and saying we're gonna steamroll every one when the reality was that we were playing poorly for large periods and then adding gloss to the finish at the end.

I also think they're getting tired and will slip up at some point. I'm not discounting the possibility that they'll just carry on though.
Reality ?! That's just not true at all. Don't claim it's reality or a fact.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Gonna be an interesting game on Sunday. United win, the league is very much alive. City win and it's almost done. Draw and City keep their consistent advantage but it's still pretty open.

The way I see it, Mourinho will just have to find a way to nick a win while not exposing his team too much. Parking the bus and hoping to score on isolated, but potentially dangerous counters is the way he'll go imo.

He has the players to score on the counter. Not sure he has the players to absorb City's pressure with success though. Arsenal created quite a lot of chances and City are much better.

Janson

I'm curious to find out how a team that creates 3 or 4 times more goal scoring chances than their opponent can be considered lucky to score 1 more goal than said opponent.

If anything, West Ham were lucky their goalkeeper had a great day, or this, based on the 2nd half alone could have been a 4-1 win easily.

Fan bias aside, City are atm the best team in the world based both on results and level of play.
:lol:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Reality ?! That's just not true at all. Don't claim it's reality or a fact.
It really is. In every match where we scored four at the start we went 1 or 2 up and then had long periods of play where we created nothing and survived scares from the opposition. Then in the late stages of the match we'd wake up and start racking up the goals.

I suggest you watch the early matches again.

el3mel

It really is. In every match where we scored four at the start we went 1 or 2 up and then had long periods of play where we created nothing and survived scares from the opposition. Then in the late stages of the match we'd wake up and start racking up the goals.

I suggest you watch the early matches again.
That's not playing poorly by the slightest.

Our strategy was to push to score a one or two early goals, soak the pressure till the opponent is decieved enough to decide to go full attacking by the last 20 minutes to get hit by our counters when spaces start to appear.

When the same pattern is repeated that many times you can't say it's playing poorly. No it was our strategy and we controlled all these games the way we exactly wanted.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
That's not playing poorly by the slightest.

Our strategy was to push to score a one or two early goals, soak the pressure till the opponent is decieved enough to decide to go full attacking by the last 20 minutes to get hit by our counters when spaces start to appear.

When the same pattern is repeated that many times you can't say it's playing poorly. No it was our strategy and we controlled all these games the way we exactly wanted.
If you can honestly look at the periods where we were under attack and say we were deliberately playing that way and we controlled the game then you're blinkered beyond help.

el3mel

If you can honestly look at the periods where we were under attack and say we were deliberately playing that way and we controlled the game then you're blinkered beyond help.
If you can't believe we were soaking pressure to allow spaces to appear to hit on counters, then you clearly don't know Mourinho at all.

We were under zero threats during those periods when we were soaking pressure till spaces appear, no team threatened to equalize with us at all, maybe bar Everton only who only created 2 chances during this period.

You really are the one who needs to go and watch those games again. We won all those games comfortably and without much problems. We played them the way we wanted them to go. Even when we were defending we weren't under threat to concede. The opponent was the one who was getting desperate.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We have conceded the least amount of goals in Europe! Could it possibly not be the case, that Jose Mourinho believes that his tactical instructions and the players can defend when called upon and allow our forwards more space on the counter attack?

The caf seems to think that 'inviting pressure' automatically equals conceding goals, but its clearly not the case as we have seen so many times this season. This manager knows how to soak up pressure.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Gonna be an interesting game on Sunday. United win, the league is very much alive. City win and it's almost done. Draw and City keep their consistent advantage but it's still pretty open.

The way I see it, Mourinho will just have to find a way to nick a win while not exposing his team too much. Parking the bus and hoping to score on isolated, but potentially dangerous counters is the way he'll go imo.

He has the players to score on the counter. Not sure he has the players to absorb City's pressure with success though. Arsenal created quite a lot of chances and City are much better.
Insightful.

Ronetta

Supports
Man City
The onus is on Jose imho, United need the 3 points so he needs to win. City would happily take a draw away at OT
It would be a good result for us, for sure. But unfortunately Pep doesn't know how to do "pragmatic". He'll go for the win no doubt, and I expect we will either win or lose. I'd be surprised if it's a draw.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Incredible arrogance, suggesting my team might win. Ok if that's what you want to call it pal???!

You've a better memory than me. I've no recollection of that at all, but if I did get a prediction wrong, it's hardly a shocker is it. I don't win the pools EVERY week ;-)

But I stand by my comment that your best chance is to do what West Ham did today but better. We've walloped every team that didn't do that.
It wasn't your prediction of winning (City are often favourites nowadays); it was how you laughed at anyone suggesting we could play football against you and win - that'd we'd have to park the bus to get anything out of the game. It was just a tad arrogant is all.