Premier League Gameweek 15

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Since when is having 4 fingers on the ball deemed being "in control" ? :confused:

rollingstoned1

I swear that there is some unwritten rule that when the ref goes to have a look at the replay he has to overturn whatever decision he made originally no matter how ridiculous.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seemed to be rolling away from him even with his hand over it, nonsense decision imo.

RUCK4444

Keeper spills it and barely has his hand on it and it’s disallowed, pathetic, that’s a goal every day of the week.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I swear that there is some unwritten rule that when the ref goes to have a look at the replay he has to overturn whatever decision he made originally no matter how ridiculous.
It's an easy cop out.

I've only seen a ref not do it once. Last year for Lamptey's goal away at Spurs.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'll be honest, I'm not sure of the rules there. Feels like it should be a goal though.
I was a bit quick to jump to calling it a dreadful decision but thinking about it I don't actually know the rules myself.

kiristao

The only question here is if you need 2 hands on the ball for control or 1 hand. If it's 1 hand, then I can understand why it was called a foul as the GK has clearly pressed the ball down on the ground to a stop before it is kicked. If it's 2 hands or if the GK needs to have even more control of the ball then that's different. Comes down to what the rule states.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I imagine it's something like VAR saying we're 99% sure it's a foul but can you go to the screen and double-check.

I don't think it gets to a point where they're ever saying they don't have a decision. So basically bias and the ref making the easy choice to agree.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought the rule was two hands on the ball to have secure control?

Schmiechel just flung his hand on ball with no control whatsoever so wouldn't say it was kicked out of his grasp at all.

Still we were a bit lucky to be 1-1 as they've completely overloaded on our right, Harvey Barnes having a good game today.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I was a bit quick to jump to calling it a dreadful decision but thinking about it I don't actually know the rules myself.
Commentators are saying it's "in control of the ball' which is reasonable but watching a slow-mo or freeze frame of Schmeichels hand on top of the ball is a really dumb way to look at the incident.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Here's the rules apparently...

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:
  • the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms, except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s).

Damnit @sullydnl

AltiUn

Thought the rule was two hands on the ball to have secure control?

Schmiechel just flung his hand on ball with no control whatsoever so wouldn't say it was kicked out of his grasp at all.

Still we were a bit lucky to be 1-1 as they've completely overloaded on our right, Harvey Barnes having a good game today.
He's a really tidy player, very talented lad.

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
The right decision according to the rules it seems.

Whether the rule is shit or not is a different debate.

From Law 12:
  • the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s).

AltiUn

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms, except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

Damnit @sullydnl
So, by the laws of the game it was correctly ruled out?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Damnit @sullydnl
Blimey so keeper can get a fingertip on it and it can be ruled out as he's deemed "in control.":lol:

They'll be a similar type goal in a few weeks that will be given.

AltiUn

Yeah seems that way. I highly doubt Schmeichel was in control except for the split second where his hand was on the ball and the lad took the shot. Unfortunate really
Ah I see. I don't like the rule but if it's been applied correctly then can't have any complaints about the decision. Really don't see how the rules justify what Schmeichel did as being in control.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Blimey so keeper can get a fingertip on it and it can be ruled out as he's deemed "in control.":lol:

They'll be a similar type goal in a few weeks that will be given.
Not only that, in some cases he can not be touching it at all and still be deemed to be in control. If he throws it in the air to kick it it's still in his control while it's in mid-air.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
All set up for Vardy winner. We've rode our luck a bit with the positions Leicester have got into but just messed up last shot or pass.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not only that, in some cases he can not be touching it at all and still be deemed to be in control. If he throws it in the air to kick it it's still in his control while it's in mid-air.
Yeah in fairness Martinez did one of those right at start of season and it was ruled out. I always think that's clever player from forward so wouldn't rule out those unless forward has practically dragged it out of his hand.

Keepers get too protected.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
NBCSN Reporting that the goal, by law, should have been given since the "one hand on top = control" portion does not apply if it is a rebound off the keeper making a save.

edcunited1878

In NBC in the U.S., they showed the rule...and there is an exception that states if the goalkeeper makes a save or the ball rebounds off him.

And now, they said VAR looked at the hand on top of the ball...not the entire phase of play, which includes the initial save by the goalkeeper which saw him scrambling for the rebound.

Goal should have stood. PL are contradicting their own rules in real time.