Premier League Gameweek 17+18

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
People keep using this argument, and it doesn’t really make any sense. Should they play like Burnley who are struggling just as much? Or Norwich under Farke?

Suddenly playing defensive football isn’t a wonder cure, you get far more points for a win. The only reason they did as well as they did last season is because of what you call a philosophy
I think they should play to get points

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think they should play to get points
Right, but you’re equating trying to shut up shop with winning points. Farke tried that and glued his side to the bottom of the league. No one looks at Burnley and says they should suddenly employ a high press and focus on tiki taka.

Cpt Negative

This game should have been 5-6 minutes in injury time. They just don’t give a feck about the rules when the game is done

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Right, but you’re equating trying to shut up shop with winning points. Farke tried that and glued his side to the bottom of the league. No one looks at Burnley and says they should suddenly employ a high press and focus on tiki taka.
No.

I'm saying pushing players forward (when half of them are squad players) means you're more likely to get picked off .. and lose

Frank Grimes

How big was beating Arsenal now?, if they had have beat Utd we would be 11 points behind them now. No Europe will mean they should be fresh for the 2nd half of the season too. Game in the Emirates will be massive.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I'd hate to be that poor guy having to translate Bielsa's drivel every weekend.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Spurs have 4 games in hand on Arsenal now. Makes me wonder what was the biggest ever game in hand gap between teams in the Premier League.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Arsenal are a real problem for top 4.
Although I don't expect them to, it won't surprise me if they finish top 4. They have a bunch of brilliant youngsters who are now the backbone of the team. They will be back in Europe next season for sure.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Spurs have 4 games in hand on Arsenal now. Makes me wonder what was the biggest ever game in hand gap between teams in the Premier League.
During the 05/06 season I think we had a fair few in hand due to the World Cup thing we had to play in after winning the CL.

Four games in hand is a lot though.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Thats going to be a problem for them when they have to play them.

lysglimt

Scout
After seeing Everton and Leeds' lineups in the last game - sorry, this just isn't fair anymore.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Everton vs Chelsea was great. Everton’s academy players, Gordon especially, put in really gutsy performances and got a draw.
Don't really buy that, if they play that lineup again chances are the opposition have their shooting boots on this time and the "gutsy" performances are instead seen as gutless even though there wasn't really that much difference in performance application.

I'm not saying they should be critisized in general as it was a weakened team and they done their best given the circumstances but there's a fine line between a team playing backs to the wall football being hailed as heroes and gutless, and on Thursday that line was Pickford.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Although I don't expect them to, it won't surprise me if they finish top 4. They have a bunch of brilliant youngsters who are now the backbone of the team. They will be back in Europe next season for sure.
They've got a consistent back 5 for the first time in years. No Europe in the second half of the season and already points on the board over us, West Ham and Spurs. I'd have them favourites at this point.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Kick off is just over 2 hours away. Ridiculous that they didn't call this off days ago, ridiculous if they call it if now.
The request was put in early this morning it seems.

Classical Mechanic

Don't really buy that, if they play that lineup again chances are the opposition have their shooting boots on this time and the "gutsy" performances are instead seen as gutless even though there wasn't really that much difference in performance application.

I'm not saying they should be critisized in general as it was a weakened team and they done their best given the circumstances but there's a fine line between a team playing backs to the wall football being hailed as heroes and gutless, and on Thursday that line was Pickford.
Sure but as it was the Everton kids did pretty OK.

cyberman

Leeds players don't have covid to the best of my knowledge, they're just injured.
Yeah, it was the same with Brighton a few games ago when pundits said they should push for a cancellation because they had so many players out but it was down to injuries.
Players being out injured v covid related should be reported separately