Premier League Gameweek 18 (16th - 18th December 2017)

Chipper

Adulterer.
Bit bored, so I'm digging some stats out on Rooney pens, and pens in general:

Penalty conversion rate in Premier League history (last updated at matchday 16) = 83.85% according to this.
League-wide conversion rate since 02/03 (Rooney's career) = 79.17%
League-wide conversion rate since 07/08 (Since Rooney first took one) = 78.09%
Rooney in the League (23/32) = 71.88% according to transfermarkt. (not yet updated for tonight so I added 1 scored and 1 miss)
Rooney all comps (37/48) = 77.08% - transfermarkt again, changed it to all comps, adding on tonight's
Rooney not in the league (14/16) = 87.5%

Bad in the league, good in other comps.

Overall he's probably ok at 77.08%,compared to the other takers during his career but it's hard to know exactly as that's only comparing his record in all comps to other players league stats.

Interesting how penalties seem to have got harder to convert during the Premier League era. Rooney himself would have played a part in dragging down the conversion rate during his career compared to overall, but he can't be solely responsible.

I think 'keepers have got slightly bigger since the league became the Premier League, certainly not as much compared to where they were in 60s or 70s, but even from the 90's to now I do think they've grown a bit. They've improved on athleticism too. No Le Tissier or Cantona anymore either!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Bit bored, so I'm digging some stats out on Rooney pens, and pens in general:

Penalty conversion rate in Premier League history (last updated at matchday 16) = 83.85% according to this.
League-wide conversion rate since 02/03 (Rooney's career) = 79.17%
League-wide conversion rate since 07/08 (Since Rooney first took one) = 78.09%
Rooney in the League (23/32) = 71.88% according to transfermarkt. (not yet updated for tonight so I added 1 scored and 1 miss)
Rooney all comps (37/48) = 77.08% - transfermarkt again, changed it to all comps, adding on tonight's
Rooney not in the league (14/16) = 87.5%

Bad in the league, good in other comps.

Overall he's probably ok at 77.08%,compared to the other takers during his career but it's hard to know exactly as that's only comparing his record in all comps to other players league stats.

Interesting how penalties seem to have got harder to convert during the Premier League era. Rooney himself would have played a part in dragging down the conversion rate during his career compared to overall, but he can't be solely responsible.

I think 'keepers have got slightly bigger since the league became the Premier League, certainly not as much compared to where they were in 60s or 70s, but even from the 90's to now I do think they've grown a bit. They've improved on athleticism too. No Le Tissier or Cantona anymore either!
Nice one man. I would say it's definitely more difficult to score due to the reasons you state re. keepers, I'd also add they tend to be stood about a foot in front of the ball when it's struck these days!

Rooney has always struck me as a pretty average penalty-taker, as his numbers seem to back up, but it always seemed when I was really really desperate for him to score he'd oblige (cue loads of big-game pens he's missed below). Call it a weird feeling of football.

GeorgieBoy

On the subject of Rooney and his penalty taking, I've just been watching a video of all his goals for Everton this season. That penalty and goal against West Ham and Hart was identical to the one he scored against City and Hart in the FA Cup for us a few years back. Made me laugh. Am I late to the party in picking that up or?