Premier League Gameweek 3

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
And that's basically what I mean when I said drop Kane.

He's our best player, but right now he's totally wasted with the way we're trying to play. Against Arsenal if we perform like this I can see him having another game where he's just completely anonymous because he's a relatively old fashioned striker, he needs balls in to the box and genuine service coming his way. We used to give that to him consistently and that's why we got 30+ or 40+ goals a season from him.

It's pointless having Kane if you can't be bothered to get the ball in to him when he's in the box. It's not like he's going to stretch the opposition.
I’d prefer him to stop playing with a second striker than drop Kane.

Classical Mechanic

The contracts are also ridiculously long, which can lead to morale stagnation. He also doesn't allow them to leave very easily. Signing with Spurs is pretty much a prison sentence at times for those players with higher ambitions.
For Eriksen to get out of Spurs it will have cost him tens of millions in possible earnings. It isn’t surprising that he’ll probably leave on a free so he can max out on his signing on fee and wages.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
For Eriksen to get out of Spurs it will have cost him tens of millions in possible earnings. It isn’t surprising that he’ll probably leave on a free so he can max out on his signing on fee and wages.
Or it’s just the kind of player he is, did the same at Ajax. Give me 3 top player who bought out their contract?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Toby isn’t committed but plays? Your talking absolute horse shit. Honestly please lick Pochs arse all u want I don’t care but your looking like a fool.
Toby shows more willingness to commit than Eriksen. It is not rocket science to know that something is not right between Eriksen and Pochettino relationship for him to not start Eriksen. If you were in the background you will have a better understanding of what is going on.

We're going to have chances/half chances in games like this, every team does.

Yes, it was a penalty, yes Lucas should have scored. But the performance was still utterly dreadful, the team selection was still completely uninspired, and it's still incredibly hard to see any kind of a game plan from Pochettino at the moment.

We're playing shit on a stick football week in week out. Today it was sideways passes galore, last week it was playing like we're a discount Burnley. You can't look at performances like these and say it's the fault of individuals, as a team we aren't looking well coached or as if we genuinely have any kind of hunger or desire to win games. We don't look remotely like what a Pochettino team is supposed to look like, basically.

Like @InLevyITrust says, he has a 55 million midfield signing on the bench and Eriksen, but we're still going with a Winks/Sissoko midfield at home to Newcastle. There's nothing there at all, and we don't come out of the blocks looking like we want to win games. It's the third game of the season, there's no excuse for a team completely lacking intensity or being as lazy with our passes as some of our players were today.

Seriously, watch back the Villa/City/Newcastle games and tell me: what is Pochettino's philosophy, how does he want his team to play? Because right now I'm not seeing any discernible style, or if there is one it's completely failing to be applied.
Good teams wins when players take their chances. Unfortunately for Pochettino his players did not take theirs today. Poch philosophy is possession based, with attacking fullbacks, intricate passing and diagonal passing from deep within their half. We saw that today, but unfortunately for Poch the quality end product was not there. It a team dominates, create chances, but the players don’t take those chances, it is obvious the players fault more than the manager.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Agreed, Winks can be a useful player in games where we don't have all the ball and we need a player who is happy to press and is comfortable in possession, but in games where we need a spark or someone who can seriously pick a pass, he's completely useless. Him and Sissoko is a completely uninspiring midfield.

Pochettino is being stubborn with his team selections. I was worried as soon as I saw the team sheet today, only Lamela has any creativity from midfield but he's better in games where he has space to play in to, otherwise he ends up running in to brick walls.
Maybe shift Lo Celso into Winks position. Going by today winks has no creativity in him. Just passes to the full backs all the time.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Toby shows more willingness to commit than Eriksen. It is not rocket science to know that something is not right between Eriksen and Pochettino relationship for him to not start Eriksen. If you were in the background you will have a better understanding of what is going on.

Good teams wins when players take their chances. Unfortunately for Pochettino his players did not take theirs today. Poch philosophy is possession based, with attacking fullbacks, intricate passing and diagonal passing from deep within their half. We saw that today, but unfortunately for Poch the quality end product was not there. It a team dominates, create chances, but the players don’t take those chances, it is obvious the players fault more than the manager.
What the feck are you talking about? Toby has said or done nothing that he was more willing to commit, please tell me what Toby has done?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Ye did not create that much by way of chances. Son in the first half and a few towards the end, in particular Mouras chance.

Ye should have had a penalty though.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I wouldn’t be surprised if he signed for us next summer if Pogba goes to Madrid. I don’t think he’s economically motivated though, if he was he never would have resigned with Spurs.
Why would he sign for United if he wasn’t economically motivated at this moment in time? I would say if he does you would be equally frustrated by him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Opinions, I didn’t see it.
He played a peach of a ball in behind to Sissoko when Sissoko was shifted to RB. That is what i am talking about. Winks did none of that. A better ball back from Sissoko and ye could have scored because there were Spurs players there.

Amadaeus

What the feck are you talking about? Toby has said or done nothing that he was more willing to commit, please tell me what Toby has done?
I m referring to his attitude on the pitch. Look at the pre-season game Spurs played. Eriksen looked uncommitted with piss poor penalties and sloppy movements. Alderweireld on the other hand looked more professional. I m pretty sure, it is the same thing in training as well. When a player is not motivated to play for a club, the sensible thing a manager to do is drop him or let/help that player find that motivation again.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

We did not create many chances today. For a majority of the game we didn't create a single clear cut chance.

Going in to the last 5-10 we created a couple, but that's exactly what you would expect. You can't rely on a couple of chances created late in the day against tired legs.

We dominated and did nothing with it for 90% of the game. Slow, laboured and again .. a creative void. You don't lose games like this because of 1-2 missed chances, you lose them because fundamentally you failed to carve out enough opportunities to put the opposition to the sword.

This was all compounded by the fact that we defended lazily, conceded a goal and from then on faced a mountain to climb. You can blame the players for that if you want, but as a team we're not creating anywhere near enough opportunities to consistently win games. I don't know what game you were watching where you thought we were missing enough chances to comfortably win the game, but it was a completely different one to me.

You expect us to dominate against Newcastle, of course you do. They had one man up front all game and didn't press us on the ball. But despite that they managed more shots on target than we had (many of our efforts were weak and speculative) and whilst Bruce's plan was pretty simplistic, it was at least a plan. We looked like we were completely clueless in the face of a parked bus.

I think you'll be the only one on this forum who will look at that game and say we created enough or looked well coached in an attacking sense.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I m referring to his attitude on the pitch. Look at the pre-season game Spurs played. Eriksen looked uncommitted with piss poor penalties and sloppy movements. Alderweireld on the other hand looked more professional. I m pretty sure, it is the same thing in training as well. When a player is not motivated to play for a club, the sensible thing a manager to do is drop him or let/help that player find that motivation again.
Eriksen had an operation in preseason........

Classical Mechanic

Why would he sign for United if he wasn’t economically motivated at this moment in time? I would say if he does you would be equally frustrated by him.
Same reason Liverpool we’re always able to sign top players, to play for a legendary club. The money will help of course but if his options are an ambivalent Madrid or a club that really wants him then I can see it happening.

I think for Madrid it’s like Pogba which is they’ll have him but only on the cheap. Going to Madrid as a low priority player can end badly.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I wouldn’t be surprised if he signed for us next summer if Pogba goes to Madrid. I don’t think he’s economically motivated though, if he was he never would have resigned with Spurs.
I think Erikson wants a change of climate.

But yea i think Pogba is going to madrid next season, but i doubt we will replace him with Erikson.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Same reason Liverpool we’re always able to sign top players, to play for a legendary club. The money will help of course but if his options are an ambivalent Madrid or a club that really wants him then I can see it happening.

I think for Madrid it’s like Pogba which is they’ll have him but only on the cheap. Going to Madrid as a low priority player can end badly.
Wouldn’t have a problem if he wants to go, more money for him.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Well, it was telling how one of the assistants (I think Jesus Perez) used his index finger to point at his portable tactics board when addressing Lo Celso, but used his middle one when addressing Eriksen. Happened around 58-59 minute when they were both getting ready to come on.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't get the CM he picks. 2 players with 0 creativity vs Newcastle :lol: You've strengthened a lot at CM but totally ignored the FB spots.

Thankfully for you, the other 3 are dross as well so think woull finish 3rd again if Poch just plays Eriksen in the middle from the off.
The failure to sign fullbacks to come in and compete for a starting spot was something I was banging on about a lot in the summer. Failing to sign a RB in particular was bizarre after selling Trippier, against teams like Newcastle two good fullbacks who can overlap and play a good ball in are invaluable.

Not so sure right now, I thought our form would turn around at the start of this season but we've picked up where we left off in the league last season. A lot of the players seem a bit disinterested which is a huge worry.

Amadaeus

Eriksen had an operation in preseason........
Then he shouldn’t had played those matches. An operation doesn’t make one take penalties that showed he was unmotivated to be there and labor around uninspired.

We did not create many chances today. For a majority of the game we didn't create a single clear cut chance.

Going in to the last 5-10 we created a couple, but that's exactly what you would expect. You can't rely on a couple of chances created late in the day against tired legs.

We dominated and did nothing with it for 90% of the game. Slow, laboured and again .. a creative void. You don't lose games like this because of 1-2 missed chances, you lose them because fundamentally you failed to carve out enough opportunities to put the opposition to the sword.

This was all compounded by the fact that we defended lazily, conceded a goal and from then on faced a mountain to climb. You can blame the players for that if you want, but as a team we're not creating anywhere near enough opportunities to consistently win games. I don't know what game you were watching where you thought we were missing enough chances to comfortably win the game, but it was a completely different one to me.

You expect us to dominate against Newcastle, of course you do. They had one man up front all game and didn't press us on the ball. But despite that they managed more shots on target than we had (many of our efforts were weak and speculative) and whilst Bruce's plan was pretty simplistic, it was at least a plan. We looked like we were completely clueless in the face of a parked bus.

I think you'll be the only one on this forum who will look at that game and say we created enough or looked well coached in an attacking sense.
We must have been watching two different games because the Lucas and Kane chances are as clear cut as you can get. Plus the through ball by lo Celso, to Kane which was a penalty. These are three clear cut chances. Most top clubs don’t need that many to score, but Pochettino unfortunately doesn’t have the quality at Spurs to finish of those easy chances. If Spurs wants to be a top club, the players will have to scored these chances. I tend to believe that Spurs players are really wasteful in front of goal. How you can’t say these three chances were not clear cut chances is beyond me.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Then he shouldn’t had played those matches. An operation doesn’t make one take penalties that showed he was unmotivated to be there and labor around uninspired.

We must have been watching two different games because the Lucas and Kane chances are as clear cut as you can get. Plus the through ball by lo Celso, to Kane which was a penalty. These are three clear cut chances. Most top clubs don’t need that many to score, but Pochettino unfortunately doesn’t have the quality at Spurs to finish of those easy chances. If Spurs wants to be a top club, the players will have to scored these chances. I tend to believe that Spurs players are really wasteful in front of goal. How you can’t say these three chances were not clear cut chances is beyond me.
You need help.

Amadaeus

U need help.
Just always interested in the facts rather than the opinions pieces. The fact remains that there were three maybe more clear cut chances. If anyone of these easy chances went in, the narrative will be different like the Villa game. Pochettino does not control these players and ask them to miss easy chances. If Spurs created 0 chances, played static, zombie football, and/or outplayed by Newcastle, then criticism to Pochettino will be more justified.

Varun

Staff
Just always interested in the facts rather than the opinions pieces. The fact remains that there were three maybe more clear cut chances. If anyone of these easy chances went in, the narrative will be different like the Villa game. Pochettino does not control these players and ask them to miss easy chances. If Spurs created 0 chances, played static, zombie football, and/or outplayed by Newcastle, then criticism to Pochettino will be more justified.
It was as good/bad as us yesterday, probably worse. No idea which game you were watching if you thought they weren't static and slow in their play. Norwich put 3 past this team ffs

Amadaeus

It was as good/bad as us yesterday, probably worse. No idea which game you were watching if you thought they weren't static and slow in their play. Norwich put 3 past this team ffs
Newcastle didn’t park the bus against Norwich. Spurs passing was crisp and not as static as we were yesterday. The space we had for our goal, Spurs didn’t have that amount of space because Newcastle was committed to parking the bus. Spurs was organized properly and similar to us, a fluke direct ball by the opposition resulted in a goal. Fluke in that, it could have been defended better. You can’t compare Newcastle performance against Norwich against Newcastle performance against Spurs. I m sure Spurs would have preferred playing against a team that was not committed to defending than they were attacking like against Norwich.