Premier League Gameweek 3

Dudu

It deflects from knee to arm, and then there's this "follow-through" movement with his arm which i'm not sure if it was definitely deliberate, but certainly could be interepreted as such. So i'm not too surprised it was given and then Red tbh.

One thing that repeatedly sucks about VAR is that it's ALWAYS seen in slow motion replays. Why?

It has to viewed first in Real time speed and then slow mo if necessary.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Initial contact may have been accidental but he clearly deliberately swipes the ball away after that.
He's moved to his right to block it with his right knee. The ball has flicked off his knee and on to his arm after. Where exactly should his arm be when he's blocking the ball with his knee? Behind his back? Were expecting far too much of footballers. And ruining terrific football matches in the process.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sorry but I thought he moved his arm to control the ball after it bounced off his knee. If it had just hit his arm which was at his side then it wouldn't be a penalty.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd forgotten that stomach churning rage of Liverpool getting such luck.

Should have been 2 or 3 down, and then that happens, and the game is totally reversed.

Tony247

that's why I don't like slow motion. Everything looks 10x times worse in slow motion. It helps in certain situation but refrees should be taught to apply some common sense. These high profile match what fans and neutrals want to watch and enjoy. This is like killing the tie for lack of common sense.

BarstoolProphet

Can understand the frustration for Chelsea players and fans to concede that penalty, but I think it was the correct decision to award penalty and red card even if he didn't do it deliberately.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
What fecks me off is that the ref didn't even look at it. He's seen the still image of the ball against James's hand and sent him off based on that. So either A) He's sent him off based on not even knowing the ball deflected up from his thigh, which is fecking laughable or B) He isn't making the decision at all himself and is walking over to the monitor purely as window dressing.
Or c) he knew it hit his knee first but didn’t know if it hit his arm or chest next. Then he saw it hit his arm, which has two guaranteed outcomes as per the rules.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Klopp teams really just foul their way to victory. Fabinho does nothing but foul every game.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He moved his arm way too much. Referee has right to call it deliberate hand ball by giving him a red even if James didn't mean to do it.

Crustanoid

Annoying how the lesser teams always bend over for Liverpool but play their cup final against us

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Mendy didn't get the card just for the kick. He was warned by the ref for being in Salah's face on the spot. Any more infractions and it will be a card. 2 minutes later he kicks the ball at Hendo leading to an unnecessary fracas. Cause of it? Mendy.
I don't think he kicked the ball towards Henderson. Henderson rushed towards the ball and Mendy just kicked the ball like most GK do after conceding a goal. It was nothing more than an accident

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Or c) he knew it hit his knee first but didn’t know if it hit his arm or chest next. Then he saw it hit his arm, which has two guaranteed outcomes as per the rules.
So he's just going to make that decision from a still image without judging context or intent at all? :lol:

Rojofiam

That's never a red :lol: Definitely a pen, but sending him off is ridiculous IMO

I like the match, really spicy

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not move his arm. Lots of times it just bounces onto an arm that’s held close to the body. He moved it to swat it away.
Don't think he's trying to swat the ball. It all happened in the blink of an eye. He can't unscrew his arms and leave them at home. Shot bounces off his knee and onto his arm in a sit second.

Sylar

That he needed to clear it.

He either didn't hear Mendy or Mendy didn't call for it.
Which is fine then but the header needs to be aimed to put it for a corner surely

Might need to watch it again in case he tries and it bounces of Mendy but his action seemed weird

Powerhouser

Supports
Bayern Munich
You dont need to dive like a goalkeeper for it to be intentional. Was a clear handball and a red.

HackeyC

It was a reaction to move his arm out of the way imo. More than enough doubt to avoid giving him a red and ruining the game.

Riz

Mendy didn't get the card just for the kick. He was warned by the ref for being in Salah's face on the spot. Any more infractions and it will be a card. 2 minutes later he kicks the ball at Hendo leading to an unnecessary fracas. Cause of it? Mendy.
I mean Salah’s was clearly a yellow as well? His point was that they both deserved to be booked but only Mendy was.

acnumber9

He’s deliberately stopped it going in the net with his arm. It’s a textbook red card.

Bulldog United

Why did Mandy get booked after the pen? Looked more like Henderson complaining over nothing?
Probably because every Chelsea player was surrounding the referee and hurling abuse at him, so he just picked Mendy as the yellow card victim.

I can't stand either of these teams. Absolutely loathe everything about them. I'll take a draw with a few more reds each.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Apparently. If you go to block a shot you have to make sure your arms don't exist.
Or, you know, at least try to get it out of the way instead of literally swiping towards the ball to keep it out. Small margins.

OldSchoolManc

Most scandalous is the double standards on bookings. Liverpool should have had at least 3 yellows

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s not subtle, it’s clear as day with a follow through!
It is pretty subtle - took a zoomed in replay to catch there was a slight extension from the arm. He didn't scoop it out extend his arm too far into a unnatural position. I also wouldn't class it as intentional. It's instinctive but accidental. 100% handball, but a red is just daft and the game is killed from it.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
From the first replay looked unintentional. Apparently there's another which shows it was deliberate. Taylor only looked at one still of the incident. It's just a mess.

CoopersDream

Don't get why this would be seen as a controversial deicision. Sure, the ball deflects on his thigh but then he moves his arms in a way to keep the ball from going in. It's about as obvious a pen and red card you can get.

GMoore23

What's with Sky Sports at half time. Literally talked about the game for about 30 seconds, the rest was ads. Disgraceful coverage.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I think the initial contact was accidental but his follow up reflex action may have given referee no option there