Premier League Gameweek 34 weekend and midweek fixtures (14th April - 19th April 2018)

Canagel

Wow just seen the Alonso tackle. How has that not been seen by the ref? Terrible tackle. No intent to win the ball.

Anustart89

An incompetent ref isn’t a reason to change the game, damage the flowing nature of football, have to wait on every goal by introducing var which was so so many faults.

Whatever the solution is the answer isn’t VAR. Better refs for starters. I don’t want the game ruined because some refs are a bit rubbish.
We've been wanting better refs for the past two decades, yet here we are. We've replaced the Uriah Rennies with the Michael Olivers. Clearly the job isn't getting easier, so how do you reckon they're going to get better? More education? Eye implants? What exactly is missing for the refs to be able to make the correct decisions from the pitch? I don't know, I just know that obviously the best available refs aren't good enough, so they need help.

Nobody is saying that every situation needs looking at. I've been saying it all the time, take the decision to go to VAR out of the ref's hands and go with a challenge system. In that case, if Hughes doesn't challenge Alonso's tackle then tough shit. If Hughes challenges a marginal offside in the build-up to a corner that leads to a goal, challenge doesn't go through and he's out of challenges when Alonso tries to murder someone again, then tough shit.

It removes the insecurity factor of the ref, so the ref can't choose to look at everything because he's insecure. It also wouldn't affect the referee's decision making (opting to let things go because he can look at it later, rather than calling that offside and ruining the chance), and would make the ref judge situations as he would otherwise.

Raw

Wow Conte has only won one PL game when behind at half time (City 3-1). The other 9 times were losses.

Canagel

Conte is trying to drive Chelsea out of the Europa. That's my guess. I don't think they want to finish 5th. To get a another season without European commitments is what I think they're looking for like last season.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Conte is trying to drive Chelsea out of the Europa. That's my guess. I don't think they want to finish 5th. To get a another season without European commitments is what I think they're looking for like last season.
Winning FA Cup, does that give them Europa League? Or is it just being 5th or 6th?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Chelsea are stuck in the Europa league already arent they?

Arsenal have already qualified through the League cup, so if they finish in 5th then the EL spot will go to 6th place.

If Chelsea get to the FA cup final then they get EL qualification, so the 3 teams in the EL would be Arsenal, Chelsea and Burnley.

Raw

They'd have to finish like 8th. 5th and 6th will qualify and 7th depends on if the winners of the FA Cup are in the top 6 or not. So basically unless Southampton win it, 7th is also a Europa spot. And obviously if Chelsea win the FA Cup they'll be in the Europa anyway.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Chelsea are stuck in the Europa league already arent they?

Arsenal have already qualified through the League cup, so if they finish in 5th then the EL spot will go to 6th place.
Even if they finish 7th, they would have to lose to Southampton next week to avoid Europa as United and Spurs have Europe confirmed.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They'd have to finish like 8th. 5th and 6th will qualify and 7th depends on if the winners of the FA Cup are in the top 4 or not. So basically unless Southampton win it, 7th is also a Europa spot. And obviously if Chelsea win the FA Cup they'll be in the Europa anyway.
Chelsea have really cocked up this season. Not good enough to win the league and not bad enough to finish out of the EL places.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Jesus, just put Conte out of his misery and sack him already.
Probably have a similar clause to what we had with Moyes and can't sack him without a big payout until qualification for CL is impossible. That's what I'm assuming anyway.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Probably too slow for our right hand side. We would need him and a speedy right winger.
Really? I don't find him particularly slow tbh. I'd have him here in a second regardless. Great player.

Djemba-Djemba

Roman isn't willing to spend as much money these days.

I imagine that's why he hasn't sacked Conte. Why pay a huge compensation to get rid now when his contract runs out in a few weeks anyway?