Premier League Gameweek 38 | Final weekend fixtures of 2017/18 season (13th May 2018)

stepic

I'd say yes. A club is usually bigger because they've been better, so have attracted a bigger fanbase over the years. Bigger fanbase = more money
if you seriously think it's fair that big clubs can spend more than smaller clubs then there's no point continuing this conversation.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
if you seriously think it's fair that big clubs can spend more than smaller clubs then there's no point continuing this conversation.
How is what I just said not fair? That's literally how United made money, totally fairly. Why should they not be allowed to spend that money? What's the point of a club trying to be legitimately good if there's no gain for anyone?
The system works. It's when people/companies start taking the piss that it gets stupid (capitalism in general too).

I don't think United ever took the piss. One of the best teams in the world and the most popular, and we spent just over the record a couple of times. Seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
According to your logic, each and every club should have equal amount of money. It doesn't work that way.

United is a big club because of what they achieved in the past. They consistently performed well since the inception of the premier league and worked their way to the top. In the process, they attracted more fans, sponsors and hence money. Other clubs couldn't do what utd used to do on a football field and that's why they were left behind.

City on the other hand was bought by a rich owner and they went on to buy a whole new squad. Was that fair for the clubs like Brighton or Burnley?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Fair enough mate. From 2012 to 2016, city finished 3 times in ro16. The year they did progress was a very poor one domestically. What I really mean is that city side wasn't taking any stride forward in Europe, and when the only time they did, they were least among the favorites. They were there for the taking. Thats why city hired pep. To establish domestic consistency and lay a marker in europe.
Without a doubt. We're still not big fish in Europe, I think we're 2nd tier now. We don't have the pulling power (viewers or fan wise) of the historical clubs nor are we fancied like PSG etc.. but that's changing albeit slowly. This season we were even installed as favorites for awhile. The reality is we need to win one or have a spell like United in the late 2000's where we make a couple of finals in a short space of time to be up there. We're kind of sitting in a weird group, we're above bigger clubs in odds to win but until we actually achieve it, we won't be accepted as a big club the way say Ajax, Celtic or Benfica are despite their glory days clearly being behind them.

This season alone despite our great domestic form we lost 4 times in the CL. Fair enough you could argue 3 of them (certainly 2) were dead rubbers but our CL record this season was played 10, won 6 lost 4, which is quite a poor showing and needs to be vastly improved.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Without a doubt. We're still not big fish in Europe, I think we're 2nd tier now. We don't have the pulling power (viewers or fan wise) of the historical clubs nor are we fancied like PSG etc.. but that's changing albeit slowly. This season we were even installed as favorites for awhile. The reality is we need to win one or have a spell like United in the late 2000's where we make a couple of finals in a short space of time to be up there. We're kind of sitting in a weird group, we're above bigger clubs in odds to win but until we actually achieve it, we won't be accepted as a big club the way say Ajax, Celtic or Benfica are despite their glory days clearly being behind them.

This season alone despite our great domestic form we lost 4 times in the CL. Fair enough you could argue 3 of them (certainly 2) were dead rubbers but our CL record this season was played 10, won 6 lost 4, which is quite a poor showing and needs to be vastly improved.
Yeah. Pretty much the situation city are in currently.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just imagining that Salah goal falling to one of ours, but them hitting it straight into the keeper or controlling it then booting it into the shin of a defender.

stepic

According to your logic, each and every club should have equal amount of money. It doesn't work that way.

United is a big club because of what they achieved in the past. They consistently performed well since the inception of the premier league and worked their way to the top. In the process, they attracted more fans, sponsors and hence money. Other clubs couldn't do what utd used to do on a football field and that's why they were left behind.

City on the other hand was bought by a rich owner and they went on to buy a whole new squad. Was that fair for the clubs like Brighton or Burnley?
yeah, every club should be able to spend the same amount of money, if you want a fair competition. given it's not a fair competition then it's laughable when United fans, already ridiculously privileged compared to the rest of the league, complain that City have too much money.

why should Brighton fans living now care that United built their brand years ago and attracted more fans than them? still doesn't make it fair when all clubs start next season on 0 points, and we spend 10 times more than them.

SER19

Right on cue... Better to spend £750m on a squad and do that than £650m on players to be thrown under a bus no? Wouldn't mind if my post was even the least bit incendiary but its just you storming in on anything City related as usual.

As for the second post, arrogance my arse, if Glaston can dish it out, he can take it back, and he will take it as a bit of banter. Also I don't look down on Spurs at all, good club who have won less than they deserved in their history and doing a great job atm.

I think you'll find the Real Madrid game under Pellegrini was the biggest in recent times, the two Liverpool games quite mattered quite alot, but the derby? It mattered for feck all.

Good facts buddy. And all pretty much true, except anti-climax. Was the league an anti-climax in 99-2000? It was dead and buried at the same time.

No humility? What are you on about? Am I not allowed to post a message congratulating our manager on one of the greatest achievement in a domestic season... Are you that bitter? Did I even try to rub it in? I've been defending United and talking you up when your entire forum has been melting down. I've been saying what City have achieved this season is an anomaly and the gap to United is much smaller than the table shows and will be tighter next season, but I make one post congratulating our manager on breaking many records, you jump on it for no reason and I lack humility. I'm the one with issues here
I'm not "storming in" on anything. In certain contexts I'll discuss city in flattering terms without bias. But in my opinion drawing attention to records being broken need also be placed in context. There is just no escaping that its all been bought and there has been no organic success, no bedrock of hard work, there's no endearing quality whatsoever to the team that holds many records of a more than 100 year history - relegating greats of the game to the lower tier. I find it abhorrent and hard to swallow that the game is the way it is, and city propelled this superficial manufactured rubbish to another level.

Try to make a single post without thinking about man United, I'm speaking from a purely footballing fan perspective, and citys arab billions are not worthy of it. They have cheapened the value of the sport.

OldSchoolManc

yeah, every club should be able to spend the same amount of money, if you want a fair competition. given it's not a fair competition then it's laughable when United fans, already ridiculously privileged compared to the rest of the league, complain that City have too much money.

why should Brighton fans living now care that United built their brand years ago and attracted more fans than them? still doesn't make it fair when all clubs start next season on 0 points, and we spend 10 times more than them.
City fans make me laugh. They want a level playing field compared to the past? Yet at the same time they want the right to spend as much as they like?
They bang on about it being a new dawn where any club could be a winner. Make it sound like school sports days, where everyone wins and there’s no losers. At the same time, calling the league strugglers trash, who aren’t worthy enough.
My only hope is that something is brought in to restrict overspending compared to a teams means. City and their fans need to be brought down a peg or two, because they are lording it up over everyone like some Harry Enfield Loadsamoney sketch and it is quite frankly abhorrent.
As is the City totalitarianism with the media. Much like their owners, they won’t tolerate free speech.

SER19

City fans make me laugh. They want a level playing field compared to the past? Yet at the same time they want the right to spend as much as they like?
They bang on about it being a new dawn where any club could be a winner. Make it sound like school sports days, where everyone wins and there’s no losers. At the same time, calling the league strugglers trash, who aren’t worthy enough.
My only hope is that something is brought in to restrict overspending compared to a teams means. City and their fans need to be brought down a peg or two, because they are lording it up over everyone like some Harry Enfield Loadsamoney sketch and it is quite frankly abhorrent.
As is the City totalitarianism with the media. Much like their owners, they won’t tolerate free speech.
Not to mention Ferguson , and a core of youth, was the factor of our success far more than money. When Ferguson left our dominance ended and had run its natural course. It was always going to happen, we weren't buying it we were sustaining it with an incredible manager and core. Too bad for most clubs in the league city were waiting with a blank cheque.

The whole thing just saddens me about the sport.

Denis_unwise

I think you'll find the Real Madrid game under Pellegrini was the biggest in recent times, the two Liverpool games quite mattered quite alot, but the derby? It mattered for feck all.

:) You keep telling yourself that Son. Most City fans were apoplectic with rage at the failure to win the title against us. It's unlikely you will ever have a chance to win the PL at home, against Utd, ever again. The story would have been passed down from generation to generation of City fan of ''Being there on that day''. All the records of this season will be forgotten over time but ''That Day'' would have lived in the memory forever. To say it doesn't hurt for you is BS.

To say the CL SF was a bigger game is laughable. You lucked out by winning against a weakened PSG in the QF. Every man & his dog knew you had very little chance of getting past Real & this is exactly the way it panned out.

In regards to the CL, if you had taken out Liverpool you would have very likely taken out Roma too. Many would likely have put you as favourites in the final. Opportunity knocked & you failed to answer.