Premier League Gameweek 38 | Lasagnagate pt.2

Woodzy

City about to win their 4th league in 5 years. Don't know about others but I think it's a serious problem. This idea that no one gives a feck about City is something we kid ourselves with.
Its a much better alternative to Liverpool.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
definitely, it just so happens that it’s a club on here people care about hating that they’re competing with. If it was Chelsea or Arsenal or something like that people wouldn’t care as much as if Liverpool won it (Arsenal a bit because of the early PL rivalry).

We really need Chelsea or United (they’re the only teams that can get anywhere close right now) to shake it up at the top a bit again.
Perhaps, to an extent, but I feel equally emotionless when PSG wins something.

It all feels so hollow, Illegitimate, tainted, corrupt (pick a word) when City or PSG wins a trophy. Not genuine.

Liverpool however...

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I doubt you'd think that if it was a real possibility
We probably won’t find out, but I think I would. State sponsored City winning 5 out 6 would be bad for the league and also incredibly boring.
They’re well on their way to creating a dynasty and I’m honestly a little amazed that everyone here seem to think it’s preferable to Liverpool winning their second in 32 years.

Perhaps me not being English is why I don’t understand it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
May the best team lose and forever be emotionally scarred.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Perhaps, to an extent, but I feel equally emotionless when PSG wins something.

It all feels so hollow, Illegitimate, tainted, corrupt (pick a word) when City or PSG wins a trophy. Not genuine.

Liverpool however...
I think when Liverpool win it hurts because I dislike them as a club/fan base etc. When it comes to City it hurts me from a football perspective. I don’t care that it’s City specifically, it could be any other club in their shoes and I’d hate it.

Swedish_Plumber

I think when Liverpool win it hurts because I dislike them as a club/fan base etc. When it comes to City it hurts me from a football perspective. I don’t care that it’s City specifically, it could be any other club in their shoes and I’d hate it.
We’ve got Newcastle to look forward to!!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Why isn't there something like the "Konferenz" ('simulcast'?) in the English PL coverage? Or is there? Seems to me like if there's need for such a thing, it's on this last match day?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why isn't there something like the "Konferenz" ('simulcast'?) in the English PL coverage? Or is there? Seems to me like if there's need for such a thing, it's on this last match day?
Because England are proud of their beloved blackout. Most of the times the games that are played at the same time are during the blackout.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Rivalries aside, Liverpool winning is better for the game. That’s obvious. People want City to win because it’s meaningless and easy to ignore. Liverpool winning means something, even if that something equates to pain for us and Everton fans. Maybe it’s better to feel pain than nothing…

When the league starts being contested by City and Newcastle, that’s when the Premier League dies and we all go off to watch another sport that’s still an actual sport. You’ve got to be careful what you wish for. City is the death of football. Liverpool is not.

Not that any of this means I can bring myself to support Liverpool today. Bring on the feeling of nothingness!!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Rivalries aside, Liverpool winning is better for the game. That’s obvious. People want City to win because it’s meaningless and easy to ignore. Liverpool winning means something, even if that something equates to pain for us and Everton fans. Maybe it’s better to feel pain than nothing…

When the league starts being contested by City and Newcastle, that’s when the Premier League dies and we all go off to watch another sport that’s still an actual sport. You’ve got to be careful what you wish for. City is the death of football. Liverpool is not.
I respectfully disagree with every word of what you’ve said, with every fibre of my carcass.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Agreed. I’m at a point where if I had to pick between you and City for the title next year, I’d go with you.
That's crazy. By doing that you're finally giving City some credibility. You're making them relevant.

For me the rivals are clearly Utd and Everton for footballing reasons. City can win another couple of PL (as long as we keep track with or ahead of Utd's haul) and it doesn't matter a jot.

2 man midfield

Why? He’s bang on.
Liverpool are a proper club and city are an oil project. That doesn’t mean them winning is better for football, football doesn’t exist anymore as far as I’m concerned if Liverpool lift that 4th trophy. I’ll go live on the moon or something.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I agree Liverpool winning is better for football. I take something from the fact they aren’t a plastic oil club and are a genuinely big club. The City’s of this world can feck off.

That doesn’t change the fact that I can’t help but feeling desperate for them to win the league today. That’s probably because Liverpool are competing with United at the top of the English football tree, whereas City winning it just feels like a nothing year. Although the way they’re going they will catch us up soon enough.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Not that any of this means I can bring myself to support Liverpool today. Bring on the feeling of nothingness!!
Yup. Liverpool are an actual football club. City are a state PR tool. Anything they win doesn’t resonate with me at all.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Liverpool are a proper club and city are an oil project. That doesn’t mean them winning is better for football, football doesn’t exist anymore as far as I’m concerned if Liverpool lift that 4th trophy. I’ll go live on the moon or something.
I think you’re looking at it too much from a person Utd viewpoint. I agree Liverpool winning will be pretty horrific, because the media and fans won’t shut the hell up! But objectively what City are doing to football overall is much more damaging and is effectively akin to doping while the rest of the competition remains clean. They make a mockery of competition and sport and I can’t stand them for it along with the other state clubs.

2 man midfield

I think you’re looking at it too much from a person Utd viewpoint. I agree Liverpool winning will be pretty horrific, because the media and fans won’t shut the hell up! But objectively what City are doing to football overall is much more damaging and is effectively akin to doping while the rest of the competition remains clean. They make a mockery of competition and sport and I can’t stand them for it along with the other state clubs.
Yeah probably but I’ve got red tinted glasses and until this nightmare is over there’s no other lens for me. I’m fine with that if it stops the scousers bettering our treble. As long as they don’t win the league, I’m happy. If you don’t win the league, it doesn’t mean shit as far as I’m concerned. You weren’t even the best team in England, never mind Europe.

Pearl.Jam

If the knuckle dragging Leeds scum go down today then I’ll consider this season a successful one !!

2 man midfield

Villa players will play like prime Barcelona for daddy Klopp, and then will be given complimentary winners medals at FT
I’m expecting some nightmare scenario where Villa do Liverpool a favour and somehow join them for the title celebrations ala QPR. God I hate football.

IRN-BRUno

BBC2 are showing goals as they go in from the 7 games not live on Sky.

Smithy89

I just can't see City, Spurs and Burnley all winning and things staying the same, some mad drama is going to happen.

Coady gives away a pena today.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m scared of Coutinho and Gerard just doing it against city.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Oh god, the argument for Liverpool winning being "a good thing for the sport" is rearing its head again.

How about fecking no.

Smithy89

Oh god, the argument for Liverpool winning being "a good thing for the sport" is rearing its head again.

How about fecking no.
Sky, BT, BBC, Talksport, the papers are all desperate for them to win and get the quad.

marktan

Yeah in general I agree with this. I can't find myself wanting PSG or City to win at anything. By default my first mode is wanting them to lose, and then everything else after that.

I think Chelsea I could just about stomach because it was a rich guy (albeit a really corrupt and bad one), but actual countries using sports to wash their image is too far for me. It's too hard to compete with teams that can spend £200m every summer to bolster an already world class squad, it no longer feels like a competition.

(And before anyone mentions United spending a lot - go back to 2009 and compare our spending since then. Our team died because we had to spend like £70m a year on interests payments per year, so we didn't invest in the team whilst City invested in theirs. Which meant by 2015 they had very good players in their squad and we didn't - since then we've spent about the same as them starting from a way further standing start).

I’m loving my life

There has never been a more nailed on occurrence in football than Villa taking points from City today and Gerrard getting them to play like peak Barcelona. City will get players sent off, refs will favour Liverpool with dodgy decisions in their game. Every corner of the media and FA will want them to win the league.

A foregone conclusion

marktan

If Gerrard actually gave a crap he would've rested their players on Thursday night in that pointless game Burnley. Instead he played the first XI, knackering the team for today because as usual all Stevie Me cares about is himself and trying to get the 3 points vs Burnley so their league poisition wouldn't look so crap. Mr Liverpool.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If Gerrard actually gave a crap he would've rested their players on Thursday night in that pointless game Burnley. Instead he played the first XI, knackering the team for today because as usual all Stevie Me cares about is himself and trying to get the 3 points vs Burnley so their league poisition wouldn't look so crap. Mr Liverpool.
I mean this surely reflects well on him? Hes not Mr Liverpool, hes Aston Villas manager and that's all that should matter.

marktan

I mean this surely reflects well on him? Hes not Mr Liverpool, hes Aston Villas manager and that's all that should matter.
From a Villa fan's perspective, yes. From the Liverpool fan's perspective of him being their last hope, not so much.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
"Perhaps me not being English is why I don’t understand it."
No. One in England want Liverpool to win anything except the pundits(mostly Liverpool fans) and Liverpool fans.

As you don't see the media love in for Liverpool, perhaps you don't understand.. They can do no wrong and even the referee's and VAR seem to favour them.. Believe me Manchester City are a much better option.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Oh no, no, noo, not this s**t again!!
Gerrard will win it for Liverpool, Villa will be like Brazil 1970, blah, blah. It is been like this for a month now. Every team City played suddenly turned into world beaters. :houllier:
Relax, Gerrard is not SAF and Wenger in one. City had week to prepare.