Premier League Gameweek 9

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I swear the last three times City and Spurs have faced off City have smacked them about only for Spurs to score with their only attempts.
Yeah, City battered them in this game last year when Zinchenko got sent off and Gundogan missed a pen. Lost 2-0 somehow.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The game is fooling you. Jose is letting you have the ball in certain areas but isnt allowing you to get in behind or move the defenders. You have plenty of posession but arent doing anything with it and thats what Spurs want aftet scoring so early imo
We've had 10 shots... 10 in 45 minutes. We've had a debatable goal ruled out, and Toby made two wonderful last ditch tackles denying goals.

Poch

Supports
Spurs
It’s a handball, not even a debate. Right decision.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We don't cut teams open at will anymore. This is our new level. We're more solid at the back (stupid goal today aside) and weaker going forward. We had 10 shots on goal away to a Jose team parking the bus after an early goal in 45 minutes. What we're missing is that killer instinct and I suspect thats a lack of confidence in front of goal. I'd take this type of performance over all our others this season for sure. Rodri looks like he's finally starting to settle Cancelo too. We just need to get consistent games into Kun and Jesus for some end product.
I must be some kind of idiot because I spent the entire first half thinking this game was at the Etihad :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, City battered them in this game last year when Zinchenko got sent off and Gundogan missed a pen. Lost 2-0 somehow.
Last year we battered them 52 shots to 6 over 2 games and lost 4-2 on aggregate.

Tony247

The game is fooling you. Jose is letting you have the ball in certain areas but isnt allowing you to get in behind or move the defenders. You have plenty of posession but arent doing anything with it and thats what Spurs want aftet scoring so early imo
You are right. That's how jose sets up his team. Possession is deception. However, city came quite close in couple of occasions.

Superunknown

There's a lot to be said for efficient football. Spurs have got two great finishers with Kane and Son and it really looks like they'll score every time they have a chance. City are having more of the ball, but Spurs know that one quick or long ball and they're in. Really wouldn't surprise me if we see City continue to have the ball for another 30 minutes, run out of ideas, and then Spurs grab another one or two on the counter. It seems to be going that way.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
Tottenham winning the league wouldn't be too bad, except the Jose Fanatics.

That said, I don't think Jose's bus parking and counterattacking strategy might yield great results especially this season, because of the brutal schedule. Pressing teams like Liverpool or City are bound to have more injuries, which Spurs might be free from. As seen from this first-half, they are not expending that much energy covering the space in their own half. And for all of the possession, City does not look threatening at all.

littleman

It was more a case of City being ineffective and switching off and letting Son run free.
Everyone else just makes mistakes when the other team scores, only Manchester United actually scores goals that aren’t mistakes

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The one before that at The Etihad was even more ridiculous, think it was something like 30 shots to 3 (the 3rd being a Harry Kane punt from his own half so doesn't really count) yet somehow it ended 2-2.

It's unprecedented rub of the green against a certain team.

padr81

Supports
Man City
There's a lot to be said for efficient football. Spurs have got two great finishers with Kane and Son and it really looks like they'll score every time they have a chance. City are having more of the ball, but Spurs know that one quick or long ball and they're in. Really wouldn't surprise me if we see City continue to have the ball for another 30 minutes, run out of ideas, and then Spurs grab another one or two on the counter. It seems to be going that way.
They remind me of the new more pragmatic Liverpool to be honest, just with more defensive fullbacks. They have 2 front men who are clinical and just get the ball to them asap well up the pitch. They are legit title contenders this season especially if they get Bale firing too. The likes of Lucas to come on in tight games and creative midfielders like Lamela when needed. Jose is the master of tightening up and protecting a dodgy CB pairing too.

el3mel

As long as City keep the ball and attack, anything can happen really. Will be really hard for Spurs to maintain a full defensive game on 1-0 for another 45 minutes.

Irwin99

I don't see many egos in that Spurs teams and they all seem to be buying into Jose's 'run through walls for me' mentality. They obviously need to go up another few levels but there's some encouraging signs there I think for Spurs.

...they'll probably go and lose now I've said that

Guy Incognito

Precisely this.

It's a risky strategy though because not all managers he comes up against are going to be so possession focused. And you have sides like Bayern who are set up to counter attack better.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Bet Jose wishes he had 5 subs...
Tbh this is why I'm confused all the smaller clubs voted against it.

Imagine being Burnley and being able to switch Bardsley for Lowton as a 4th/5th luxury sub Vs a big team? Someone fresh to deal with Rashford/Pulisic/Mane/Sterling.

Superunknown

They remind me of the new more pragmatic Liverpool to be honest, just with more defensive fullbacks. They have 2 front men who are clinical and just get the ball to them asap well up the pitch. They are legit title contenders this season especially if they get Bale firing too. The likes of Lucas to come on in tight games and creative midfielders like Lamela when needed. Jose is the master of tightening up and protecting a dodgy CB pairing too.
That's a good comparison and I can see that. Look like a very difficult team to beat. Quite solid throughout and tough to really break down, too. The Bale signing could potentially be a difference maker in the title race. Could imagine him being a great option off the bench to get a goal to either cushion a lead or turn a draw into a win. Annoyingly, I concede that Spurs are title contenders.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sterling is the anti-Adebayor, the longer his hair the worse he plays. Bald Sterling scares me. Cornrow Sterling doesn’t scare me one bit. Haha

GMoore23

Just switched on to watch the 2nd half. Going by the tactical analysis of the First half, it looks like Spurs spent the whole 45 mins in their own half barring the goal.
Thank God we're not managed by Jose anymore. Guys a Dinosaur.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Aurier is playing the game of his life today. And Spurs' back 5 is really looking solid. Typical Jose defending.

saivet

City need to make a change, for all their possession, they haven't looked too threatening. It feels like Spurs just need one counter to kill it off.