Premier league matches to be shown on PPV basis via BT and Sky

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
£15/game... they can feck off.

Deery

Dreary
Absolute disgrace having to pay nearly £80 a month for Sky subscription now you’re expected to fork out £14.95 a game!

What the hell like, I for one won’t be paying no £14.95 a game and I hope no one else does either.

Castia

5-6 quid a game? sure

But £15 they can piss off.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Absolute disgrace having to pay nearly £80 a month for Sky subscription now you’re expected to fork out £14.95 a game!

What the hell like, I for one won’t be paying no £14.95 a game and I hope no one else does either.
As I said earlier the big teams are lucky that most of their games get TV coverage anyway. It's the less sexy teams fans who are seriously going to get screwed. I can live with missing the odd game.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
5-6 quid a game? sure

But £15 they can piss off.
This. I would pay 5 euro no questions to watch the game. They seem to have got their figures wrong. I guess they are thinking about the lower down clubs who dont have the fanbase of a United or Liverpool.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What about the pubs? Will they have the match on? Like will they have our match against Newcastle?

Smores

Perfect excuse for them to start being cnuts again. I didn't really expect them to carry on showing every game as that was quite the perk but this is ridiculous and you know they'll start putting good games behind paywalls.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I would advise people to get a motorised satellite dish and watch these games on European satellite channels. Boxes like Viark Droi are able to decode most of these channels if you know what to do.

https://liveonsat.com/uk-england-premier-league.php lists which channels show what - though usually updates a couple of days before the match.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
This gives the fans an opportunity to vote with their wallet, do not pay money to watch Manchester United on pay per view.

saivet

Just signed up for Sky/BT at £52 per month and I didn't expect for them to continue showing every PL game so not too bothered by it but I certainly won't be paying for any of these PPV games as £52 per month is expensive enough as it is. I'll just go back to the usual method for 3pm games prior to covid.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Premier League tried PPV football back in the early 2000s with Prem Plus, and it bombed. You can't justify paying a sports package subscription and then pay extra on top, to the tune of £15 per game! It has even less chance of succeeding when there's a plethora of streams available all over the internet.

This would make more sense if Football League clubs could televise their games on Youtube or their official websites or something and charge a fee to watch (but not £15!) since their games are rarely, if ever, televised anyway. They are not getting either TV or gate receipt cash right now. The PL clubs don't really need this.

Deery

Dreary
As I said earlier the big teams are lucky that most of their games get TV coverage anyway. It's the less sexy teams fans who are seriously going to get screwed. I can live with missing the odd game.
But how long will that last until they see the bigger clubs have more of a fan base and there far more money for
them?

Could see some big games going PPV and staying that way total bullshit..

Matt851

So if you want to watch 4 games a match day with 34 matchdays remaining, you're in for about 2 grand. That's fecking outrageous.
I wonder if they might revise this at the end of the month. Its such a high price its hard to see too many people doing it although they might have a captive audience with the impending tightening of covid restriction

DomesticTadpole

But how long will that last until they see the bigger clubs have more of a fan base and there for more money for them?

Could see some big games going PPV and staying that way total bullshit..
Then I won't pay it. It will save me loads. It's disgusting. I know clubs are losing money, but a lot of people are losing their jobs.

Oo0AahCantona

Ive only ever been reporting vile illegal rivers for a while now, the whole things a scam.

Skeezix

£15/game... they can feck off.
That is ridiculous.

I live in India, and pay around Rs 400 (4£) per month for my basic TV+ Sports pack from Tata sky.
And then around Rs 350-390 (3-4£) per year! for my Hotstar account (for Mobile app livestreaming).

And all these are legal services.

It is already ridiculous if you have to pay for all PL matches @15£ per month

Deery

Dreary
Then I won't pay it. It will save me loads. It's disgusting. I know clubs are losing money, but a lot of people are losing their jobs.
Back to MOTD and Radio 5 live for me if they do..

Already paying for Sky and honest to God if it wasn’t for United it would be pulled.

DomesticTadpole

Back to MOTD and Radio 5 live for me if they do..

Already paying for Sky and honest to God if it wasn’t for United it would be pulled.
I was without Sky Sports for a while until recently and actually enjoyed listening to games on the radio.

Deery

Dreary
I was without Sky Sports for a while until recently and actually enjoyed listening to games on the radio.
Yeah it can be good nice and peaceful, listened to the Brighton game on it as I don’t have BT sports

Jack-C20

Who the feck comes up with this stuff? Surely they’d make way more money if they made it more affordable so that the amount of people paying for it goes up.

I’m sure there’s loads of legal crap in the way that I’m naive to, but I’m hoping for a Netflix like system one day.

giggsziniho

Disgraceful but confirms what we all knew the premier league see’s fans as a cash cow, from the way they change kick off times to the cost of watching on tv they treat fans with contempt. As a season ticket holder was hoping the club would be finding a way to allow us to follow the team whilst fans are not allowed but looks like that’s not going to happen.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The Radio match commentary on MUTV is comically biased. Like a care home for ex-players who headed one ball too many.

starman

This service (not via sky/bt) has been running for Championship clubs already, it's £10 per game, most people I know don't mind it, then again they are match goers so wouldve been spending around £20 per game anyway

Last edited:

RedRoach

Feel sorry for you guys, I pay €10 a month for DAZN in Spain and the majority of PL games are live streamed (the remaining a delayed stream by a few hours)

Bojan11

Sky need to die.
Elvis keep up. It’s the premier league doing this as they do not want to devalue their product by giving games away for free especially for next set of TV rights go on sale.

I think a few years ago one single game cost broadcasters over a million pounds.

iHicksy

I can watch an NBC stream for free, in HD with better coveage cast to my TV. Yeah, i'm "stealing" football, but i really couldn't give a toss. If they charged anything like reasonable prices then i'd pay them. My friends in other countries laugh when I tell them how much it costs to watch a handful of premier league games here. Their response is usually:

"We get every prem game for £10 a month and you don't even get them all for £20+? - You only get random ones, which don't have your team playing in them half the time?"
"And these are the teams playing in your country and you can't watch them?"

Wake up Sky, your model is dead. I really liked Amazon's streaming of games for free with prime. That's the way we should be heading.