Premier league matches to be shown on PPV basis via BT and Sky

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Elvis keep up. It’s the premier league doing this as they do not want to devalue their product by giving games away for free especially for next set of TV rights go on sale.

I think a few years ago one single game cost broadcasters over a million pounds.
Yeah just read the article, but Sky still need to die.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Mental price. Should be more like £4.99.
Agreed.

I think they are targeting the people who follow the lower teams, who have to go to match to see them, as opposed to those that support United and Liverpool, which are usually on tv.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The premier league really should have its own subscription service.

Paying a hundred a month between everything and yet still i cannot see every game. Madness.

Deery

Dreary
Feel sorry for you guys, I pay €10 a month for DAZN in Spain and the majority of PL games are live streamed (the remaining a delayed stream by a few hours)
We have to buy a channel even to watch LaLiga now.

AFC NimbleThumb

£14.95 per game :lol:

We deserve a service akin to the NBA but we get this, I hope the bubble bursts terribly.

48 hours

Be interesting to see how many pay for the United Newcastle match. I’ll be enjoying a river instead, £15 per game is too much on top of all the other subscription costs

GazTheLegend

Yeah I'm done then

A yo ho ho and a hee hee hee it's a pirates life for me

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What on Earth are they thinking?

Football isn’t worth this amount of money, especially not the league where half the games are drab as feck.

I wouldn’t even pay £4.99 personally. £1.99 would be tempting, if I was bored.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
So you have to pay for sky/bt/virgin at about £110 a month, tv licence as well and then to watch 38 United games is £570 for the season.

Total per season is approx £1700, fair enough you get other channels with the sub and TV licence but the additional £570 per household is mental.

MUFC9032

The price point is ridiculous. I could have understood £15/month - even that could have been deemed too much - but per match is ridiculous. Is there any calculation/justification around this?

billdrama

This seems a bad PR move from PL in context of spiralling infection rates, more restrictions seeming inevitable and the financial difficulties so many are facing.

I wouldn't rush into paying for this because I wouldn't really be surprised if they reconsidered in some way because of the backlash and possible government pressure - especially if there's concerns about people potentially paying once and having a large gathering.

Abizzz

They rob their customers but claim streaming is stealing :lol:

Bojan11

So you have to pay for sky/bt/virgin at about £110 a month, tv licence as well and then to watch 38 United games is £570 for the season.

Total per season is approx £1700, fair enough you get other channels with the sub and TV licence but the additional £570 per household is mental.
Not every United game will be in the service, so won’t come to £570. I would say most will be on the normal packages. But wouldn’t surprise me if they move them.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Absolutely shameful to ask fans to pay that for one single match. Can see these cnuts carrying this model for big games going forward. From a United point of view it’s a good opportunity for our fans to show our displeasure by not buying the matches.

big rons sovereign

Robbing bastards.

Feels like a rip off after having them bundled in with our current package for the past few months.

That being said I have always wanted every match available live on TV, I think this is here to stay even when the grounds open up again.

I wonder if we’ll see more strategic moves as well. Nobody is paying 15 quid for Burnley vs West Brom so put that on Sky and let people cough up for United/Liverpool/Arsenal games etc
Is absolutely what's gonna happen. It's not even in doubt.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I can only assume they have some sort of data that shows this is going to be profitable for them. If not it’s beyond belief. There’s very little chance ordinary households in normal circumstances can justify or outright afford that kind of outlay, in the current climate? No chance.

The only way I’d pay it this year is if they promised to introduce a Netflix/Amazon style streaming service for next year.

I can only assume they have some sort of data that shows this is going to be profitable for them. If not it’s beyond belief. There’s very little chance ordinary households in normal circumstances can justify or outright afford that kind of outlay, in the current climate? No chance.

The only way I’d pay it this year is if they promised to introduce a Netflix/Amazon style streaming service for next year.
I think you are being very generous. I can't imagine they're employing the brightest minds from Netflix and Amazon to make these decisions. It's just greedy eyes seeking short term $$$.

I've been streaming games for ages and the quality is great. It's as good as TV now. Netflix and Spotify proved that people are willing to pay for something that provides value but 100 quid a month, and now this, is not value.

starman

It looks like they are mostly for 3pm games, so games that wouldn't of previously be televised on Sky/BT were there no pandemic.
Its not as bad as people are making out and think they will keep it like this when things are back to normal, which ultimately would be a plus being able to access a PPV service for previously non televised games.

youngrell

Agreed.

I think they are targeting the people who follow the lower teams, who have to go to match to see them, as opposed to those that support United and Liverpool, which are usually on tv.
You can get Sky Sports for 24hours for £9.99 using Now TV. I know these are for games not on Sky but the pricing seems way off.

It’s a shame, this could have been the start of a proper streaming service for the PL.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I hope they drive football in to the ground from their own greed. It’s a rotten industry at this point.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I've been streaming games for ages and the quality is great. It's as good as TV now.
Is that really true? Last time I looked, the best rivers (the ones you paid for) tended to only hit HD 720. It was very rare to see one in HD 1080 and even then it was high compression so a fast moving ball jittered all over the place. Satellite streams were way better, and that's before you start on the 4K stuff.

Sure you won't see much difference on a 16 inch laptop screen, but you sure will on a 65 inch TV. For me the test is what the ball looks like in motion. If you can see the patterns on the ball as it's spinning and it moves smoothly, you have a winner.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is that really true? Last time I looked, the best rivers (the ones you paid for) tended to only hit HD 720. It was very rare to see one in HD 1080 and even then it was high compression so a fast moving ball jittered all over the place. Satellite streams were way better, and that's before you start on the 4K stuff.

Sure you won't see much difference on a 16 inch laptop screen, but you sure will on a 65 inch TV. For me the test is what the ball looks like in motion. If you can see the patterns on the ball as it's spinning and it moves smoothly, you have a winner.
A few times I've seen it get close to 1080p without lag but most of the streams are delayed. TV is still the highest quality you can get but you really don't lose that much with streams and you save a lot of money.

Deery

Dreary
When players are walking around on 300k a week, living in mansions and driving Ferrari’s.

It bloody stinks how much out of touch the Premier league is, it’s a pandemic for God’s sake thousands on furlough, thousands eating out of food banks, thousands being made unemployed.

Every little would help but no Greedy bastards and I hope they’re remembered for it.

Bojan11

A few times I've seen it get close to 1080p without lag but most of the streams are delayed. TV is still the highest quality you can get but you really don't lose that much with streams and you save a lot of money.
Yeah. Same with tennis on Amazon it’s delayed even behind google live scores.

I just don’t like streams for sports until they sort out the delay issue against TV.

Chief123

I would advise people to get a motorised satellite dish and watch these games on European satellite channels. Boxes like Viark Droi are able to decode most of these channels if you know what to do.

https://liveonsat.com/uk-england-premier-league.php lists which channels show what - though usually updates a couple of days before the match.
You don’t even need a motorised dish any more. IP services are the way forward. I can’t remember the last time I used my motorised dish. (Dish and IP service is at my friends house who’s address and name I can’t remember).

Chief123

Be interesting to see how many pay for the United Newcastle match. I’ll be enjoying a river instead, £15 per game is too much on top of all the other subscription costs
Imagine paying £15 for a match and then seeing your team getting spanked 6-1 with an embarsssing showing from your team followed by lip service apologises on Twitter. That £15 would feel like £1000.