Premier league matches to be shown on PPV basis via BT and Sky

ex and

I now live in Sweden, and I can get Sky ( which I subscribe..magic ...don’t ask me), I also subscribe to the Swedish channel showing PL matches. I‘m not 100% but I don’t think they are showing the Newcastle game, which they normally would do as it’s a 8 pm match in UK. I could pay for this match on Sky..but there’s no feckin way..
But I think read that they will evaluate at the end of October.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
This is a fecking disgrace. £1.2bn on transfers and we're expected to shell out £14.95 a game. They really don't have any grip on reality do they!
I did wonder why the Premier League were hammering IPTV services recently. They're trying to make them as unstable as possible so that people will give up and switch to legal means of watching.

Cardozo

The now tv day pass was only £9.99 for 2 games. What logic are they using to justify this while households are probably restricted from watching together? Robbing bastards.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The now tv day pass was only £9.99 for 2 games. What logic are they using to justify this while households are probably restricted from watching together? Robbing bastards.
That you can get a 24 hour nowtv pass for all sky sports channels for 10 sterling, says to me that this PPV 15 sterling is for fans of teams who would normally not get to see their team on sky sports.

Okey

It really doesn't make any sense, the current situation. They're still encouraging us to go to cinemas, but not stadiums??? There's some fans at the ongoing French Open, with no issues, and they're having a worse time with Covid than us. Not to get into too much political stuff, but the current Covid response reminds me of that popular definition of insanity.

shahzy

I think it's scandalous. Someone thousands of miles away has better coverage of a league based in the country one lives.
Her in Australia every single PL game is centralised on an online platform by Optus, which is a mobile network.

The last time I checked you had to be using their mobile network to get access to the PL games. This may of changed recently however it was annoying af that you had to change mobile providers just to watch. But when you do have access to it, every single game is available and on demand. Absolutely brilliant implementation if you can get past the fact you have to buy their mobile network for your phone

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
What you're actually seeing here is a wonderful example of how the 0.1% focus on hovering up all the money from the poor, direct into their pocket.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
When I seen the thread title I thought it’d be about £2.50 a game :lol: How naive was I!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
5-6 quid a game? sure

But £15 they can piss off.
Honestly I wouldn’t even want to pay that, it’s like £60 a month for sky package, £30 for BT, and now you have to pay £15 multiple times a year, just to watch fecking football, it’s a disgrace.

And now I’ve just seen that the United game against Newcastle is PPV, wtf, I’m sure that would have been shown on tv without this ppv nonsense, last week there was matches on continuously from about 12pm to 10.

£15 a game, wow

lilcurt

It really doesn't make any sense, the current situation. They're still encouraging us to go to cinemas, but not stadiums??? There's some fans at the ongoing French Open, with no issues, and they're having a worse time with Covid than us. Not to get into too much political stuff, but the current Covid response reminds me of that popular definition of insanity.
Come on now. I hate this government but in know way can a return to stadiums in the current climate be contemplated. Have you seen stadiums at HT or when you are leaving? Crazy suggestion.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It does seem ridiculous, I live in Cambodia and every game is on for free, the half time analysis is a bit hard to get your head round if you don’t speak Khmer, but commentary is all in English.

Brighton games are often 3pm sat kick offs as obviously we don’t make Sky or BT as much as bigger teams so this seems very focussed on teams like us. I can’t imagine it’s going to hit United fans very often.

No Love

I disagree entirely that £5 per game would be fine. The monthly subscription fees are already scandalous, as is. The fact they have the temerity to ask for a penny more is disgusting, yet sadly unsurprising.

If they’re so enamoured with the PPV model, why don’t they put their money where their mouth is? Do away with their monthly subscription fees and give people the entire selection of games, every week, available for PPV. Let’s see how many eyes they get on some of their fixtures then. People will simply pay for the matches involving the teams they follow, and depending on form going into the match, they might not even fecking bother. You can kiss goodbye to any neutrals boosting the viewing figures. The problem is that these greedy bastards want to have their cake and eat it, too. They want to retain their neutral/passive viewers who watch some of the shite they serve up, involving relegation fodder, but want to extract an extra £15 from those same people somewhere down the line.

Not to mention the fact the PPV model is fecking dying, anyway. UFC is still clinging on to it, but depends largely on a few big name stars. Boxing also moving towards steaming with DAZN. I believe WWE even have their own monthly subscription service which gets you access to all their content for one fixed fee. Yet football is embarrassing itself once again with its sheer greed, trying to exploit fans.

Hoof the ball

There's no reason why they can't release a League Pass for a monthly subscription giving access to all games! They just want the maximum amount of money every single time. It's pure greed and nothing else. How is it that the home country of the Premier League is the one with the shittiest deal? Absolutely hate the PL, Sky and BT.

AFC NimbleThumb

If anyone is considering an IPTV that works on a firestick, iPhone, android phone etc, DM me. Feck Sky and BT
Mass saturation of IPTV through forums like this is exactly why busts happen. Quit playing the plug & settle yourself.

Far too many novices jumping on it, not calling you a novice just saying people should be more mindful who they bring in.

AFC NimbleThumb

I agree won’t want to pay £5 either
Premier League has had 30 years to come up with a suitable subscription service that actually caters to the fans but they’ve let Sky & the other broadcaster of the month split up the rights so they can profit endlessly off of domestic customers whilst selling rights off for respective pennies abroad.

Major sports in the US show full games with selective blackouts whilst still being able to fill stadiums; the argument it would kill lower leagues is fraudulent & now £15 for a game at home, PR suicide.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
All those advocating streams as if they’re great now, I certainly will be using them for plenty of games, but I’m so sick of them. You have to find a good one, which is a pain in the ass with all the annoying pop ups, and they still go down a lot during games. I’m tired enough to have started paying for Sky Sports through Now TV, but I already loathe to pay that much for less than half the games.

There’s no way football is worth the cost of both Sky and BT to me, nevermind these on top. It’s probably just about worth £25 a month for everything.

crossy1686

career ending
Mass saturation of IPTV through forums like this is exactly why busts happen. Quit playing the plug & settle yourself.

Far too many novices jumping on it, not calling you a novice just saying people should be more mindful who they bring in.
I know what you’re trying to say, it’s alright, and I agree.

Always source yourself a good VPN before undertaking anything like this. Do some research folks!

Deery

Dreary
Premier League has had 30 years to come up with a suitable subscription service that actually caters to the fans but they’ve let Sky & the other broadcaster of the month split up the rights so they can profit endlessly off of domestic customers whilst selling rights off for respective pennies abroad.

Major sports in the US show full games with selective blackouts whilst still being able to fill stadiums; the argument it would kill lower leagues is fraudulent & now £15 for a game at home, PR suicide.
Part of me thinks they’re trying to bleed every penny out of the fans before things go pop again because of covid and another part of me thinks they’re deliberately pricing fans out of the games so they won’t look so bad when TV deals go back to normal and fans won’t complain that they’re not getting a good deal because the way it was showing all games was maybe the first time I thought it was worth the price I pay for it.
In a strange way protecting their product for the future so fans won’t feel as short changed.

AFC NimbleThumb

I know what you’re trying to say, it’s alright, and I agree.

Always source yourself a good VPN before undertaking anything like this. Do some research folks!
I have bolded for importance.

Anyone undertaking the medium, you can skimp on your Sky bill but DO NOT be cheap/lazy with your VPN/knowledge of what a VPN can do.

As the man says, research!

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Anyone signed up to DAZN using a VPN? Think I might go down that route.
I've got the Spanish version. It's great. I pay 10€ a month and can watch all the PL games and most of the league Cup. It also has motogp, all the big boxing bouts, tennis, basketball and a million other sports. Best package deals around.

AFC NimbleThumb

Part of me thinks they’re trying to bleed every penny out of the fans before things go pop again because of covid and another part of me thinks they’re deliberately pricing fans out of the games so they won’t look so bad when TV deals go back to normal and fans won’t complain that they’re not getting a good deal because the way it was showing all games was maybe the first time I thought it was worth the price I pay for it.
In a strange way protecting their product for the future so fans won’t feel as short changed.
I think they’re drastically misreading the modern football fan if I’m honest.

I have the fortune to get tickets to about 10-15 home games a season & over the last few years I’ve turned down the chance to go to stay home to watch them. I quite like getting replays & multiple angles on key moments. There’s obviously nothing quite like the match day experience but I prefer viewing a game in solitude at home mostly as I’m quite erratic when watching.

All this to say, there are 76k seats at Old Trafford & the clubs following is in the hundreds of millions but even if you focus simply domestically, as that’s where my TV gripe is, that number is dwarfed by how many supporters the club has & a huge amount of those fans [some members on here] have never been/will never go to OT but are ardent fans whose experience isn’t being catered to & are being forced to ‘cord-cut’ in order to watch the club.

There will always be a place for the turnstile supporter & you’ll never replicate the live match day experience but by not catering to their larger audience they’ll simply end up losing the next generation; people are willing to pay for netflix but if netflix began charging £3/4 per film how long do you think they’d last. . .

Deery

Dreary
I think they’re drastically misreading the modern football fan if I’m honest.

I have the fortune to get tickets to about 10-15 home games a season & over the last few years I’ve turned down the chance to go to stay home to watch them. I quite like getting replays & multiple angles on key moments. There’s obviously nothing quite like the match day experience but I prefer viewing a game in solitude at home mostly as I’m quite erratic when watching.

All this to say, there are 76k seats at Old Trafford & the clubs following is in the hundreds of millions but even if you focus simply domestically, as that’s where my TV gripe is, that number is dwarfed by how many supporters the club has & a huge amount of those fans [some members on here] have never been/will never go to OT but are ardent fans whose experience isn’t being catered to & are being forced to ‘cord-cut’ in order to watch the club.

There will always be a place for the turnstile supporter & you’ll never replicate the live match day experience but by not catering to their larger audience they’ll simply end up losing the next generation; people are willing to pay for netflix but if netflix began charging £3/4 per film how long do you think they’d last. . .
I agree there should be a streaming service available for all fans of all clubs that either shows all premier league games or the option to watch all your own clubs games.

This service shouldn’t cost more than £20 a month as I feel fans are being ripped off to the tune of £100 a month as it is.

It wouldn’t affect turnstiles numbers as you say because going to a match is a full day out for people to enjoy an experience you don’t get from the comfort of your own home.

A cheaper alternative to Sky/BT will also widen the reach of the club because it will be available to more people that previously could not afford a subscription, mainly families that have a lot of other bills to pay so can’t afford the luxury of a sports subscription.

And with getting more families involved you are opening up the chance of more merchandise sales as well as more people looking to go to matches in the future be it by themselves or with a family.

More fans equally more money equals more success.

Last edited:

alexthelion

When players are walking around on 300k a week, living in mansions and driving Ferrari’s.

It bloody stinks how much out of touch the Premier league is, it’s a pandemic for God’s sake thousands on furlough, thousands eating out of food banks, thousands being made unemployed.

Every little would help but no Greedy bastards and I hope they’re remembered for it.
So true, but there will still be thousands of mugs who pay this.