Premier league matches to be shown on PPV basis via BT and Sky

Murray3007

I think its just the price of it more then anything, if it was £3.99 or something you would get a massive amount of viewers compared to the £14.99, add in a lot of people have lost there job or on less wages due to reduced hours, add in if it worked and they made just the same amount of money each game who is to say they wouldn't just scrap letting fans in again, cant be easy to organise everything needed for fans to get in to a game.

Hughes35

Very stupidly opened the thread expecting it to be £2-3 per game and already thought that was bad, but understandable.... £15 quid is crazy.

On another note - anybody that is considering paying this, I do very reasonably priced counselling sessions and also have an offer on magic beans at the moment. PM me for details.

Deery

Dreary
And let's remember this is on top of already paying 40 quid for Sky and whatever BT costs.

I cancelled Sky years ago and haven't missed it at all. Will stream any match I'm desperate to see but tbh just happy to listen to it on 5 live, Talksport or local radio for Villa.

Mind you I probably spend as much betting a month so I can watch the Spanish, German and Italian leagues on Bet365. :lol:
What do you make of it being a Villa fan and all your next 3 games are PPV?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What do you make of it being a Villa fan and all your next 3 games are PPV?
We're one of the few clubs who haven't had any free to air games since it restarted in June for some bizarre reason (think West Ham and Arsenal are the two others) so dosen't really make a difference to me. Will just continue with what I've been doing for last few months.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
17 euros, well 16.95 euros to be precise, for Irish fans.

Madness really.

Danny Roberts

I don't see the huge fuss about this really. These are extra games above and beyond the main packages. If you want to pay, pay, if you don't, don't. If you can't afford it, or don't want to then you couldn't have watched these games normally and you still can't. I think it's terrible PR for the league and a bit too expensive but it isn't a big scandal IMO. I'd rather pay £15 for a decent game of football than £30 or whatever they charge to see someone get knocked out in the first round and 3 hours of dross before it.

Deery

Dreary
I don't see the huge fuss about this really. These are extra games above and beyond the main packages. If you want to pay, pay, if you don't, don't. If you can't afford it, or don't want to then you couldn't have watched these games normally and you still can't. I think it's terrible PR for the league and a bit too expensive but it isn't a big scandal IMO. I'd rather pay £15 for a decent game of football than £30 or whatever they charge to see someone get knocked out in the first round and 3 hours of dross before it.
That’s the point though if they can show them why don’t they just show them?

How do you know it’s going to be a decent game?

Na, it’s a total shit move by the league during a Pandemic and we’re going back into lockdown so they can’t claim any different.

Just rich bastards getting rich

hp88

Kind of agree with what you saying here as plenty of people pay to watching boxing which is bit of a gamble at times.

Problem I have got with Sky here is that I have subscribed to Sky Sports on an 18 month basis expecting them to carry on showing football in the same way they have done in the past, they were airing six games on the weekend which too be honest was good value for money but they have decided to drop a game from the line up and make us pay an additional £15 to watch it, this is just pure greed.

Nero

A big problem is they will no doubt stealthily move games they would have put on regular Sky/BT on to PPV.

Danny Roberts

That’s the point though if they can show them why don’t they just show them?

How do you know it’s going to be a decent game?

Na, it’s a total shit move by the league during a Pandemic and we’re going back into lockdown so they can’t claim any different.

Just rich bastards getting rich
It's a way for clubs to recoup some of the money they are losing out on. As I understand it all/most of the profit is going to the clubs.

cyberman

A big problem is they will no doubt stealthily move games they would have put on regular Sky/BT on to PPV.
Of course they will and they need to be called out on it when they do. A lot of non ppv worth games will be on regular tv now. Those little Arsenal v Brighton type games that are well worth a watch are gone

Deery

Dreary
It's a way for clubs to recoup some of the money they are losing out on. As I understand it all/most of the profit is going to the clubs.
Clubs always crying poverty to fans don’t buy it, they have enough saved up to last them years.

Dudu

So is this already confirmed for the rest of the season.. or are the Clubs going to revisit this owing to the backlash?

VivaRonaldo85

I think they could have made some silly money If they’d charged say £3.99 for a game. I for one know I would have paid that to watch the Newcastle game on Saturday. The £14.95 price point is vulgar and is in the same band as a huge boxing match that happens maybe 3 times a year. No chance am I paying that in addition to my Sky and BT bills.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think they could have made some silly money If they’d charged say £3.99 for a game. I for one know I would have paid that to watch the Newcastle game on Saturday. The £14.95 price point is vulgar and is in the same band as a huge boxing match that happens maybe 3 times a year. No chance am I paying that in addition to my Sky and BT bills.
This is the crux of it.
Especially as they're still staggering games at unique times.
Who on earth would pay £15 for multiple games?!

Many would pay £2-3 a game extra.

Deery

Dreary
This is the crux of it.
Especially as they're still staggering games at unique times.
Who on earth would pay £15 for multiple games?!

Many would pay £2-3 a game extra.
I noticed that they’re claiming it’s the 3 o’clock kickoffs so you wouldn’t be able to see them anyway but the United match is being aired at 8 o’clock, which is prime time viewing and a lot more people will be tempted to buy it.
It’s just a way of putting the most sought after game of the weekend on PPV to maximise viewing figures.

The same with Leicester v Villa a 7:45 kickoff again one of the most sought after games of the weekend

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Many people saying they won't pay 14 quid now will change their minds 30 minutes before kick off if they can't get a good stream. Same with boxing. I'd wager most of their PPV buys are done within an hour of the fight.

Castia

Ironic that if they charged £5 a game they would have probably been rolling in cash. With the current £15 price its done nothing but produce bad press and negativity, many people willing to pay a fiver wont stretch to £15 me included.

Everybody regardless of wanting to watch the game needs to stay away from this price point.

The game will finish just before 10 and match of the day is on at 22:20 so feck em. Do not order!

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Not a chance I'm buying any of these games. Already pay a fortune for my Sky and BT Sport package.

Deery

Dreary
Many people saying they won't pay 14 quid now will change their minds 30 minutes before kick off if they can't get a good stream. Same with boxing. I'd wager most of their PPV buys are done within an hour of the fight.
You always get an itchy trigger finger an hour before, I think that’s why they conveniently put the games on later so people will be settled in for the night looking for something to watch.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
You always get an itchy trigger finger an hour before, I think that’s why they conveniently put the games on later so people will be settled in for the night looking for something to watch.
Yeah exactly. People had a couple of beers. Seen the team sheet. They wont be able to resist

saivet

Those big boxing matches happen a handful of times in a year whereas football is on nearly everyday of the week. Streams for football are also a lot easier find than for boxing. I'd be interested to see what the number will be but I don't think the masses will reluctantly pay up.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Those big boxing matches happen a handful of times in a year whereas football is on nearly everyday of the week. Streams for football are also a lot easier find than for boxing. I'd be interested to see what the number will be but I don't think the masses will reluctantly pay up.
You may be right about the streaming. Its really easy to find a decent quality one these days. I still think Sky will make a killing on these games though

Judas

Open to offers
I really don't think it'll be a success. If they'd done a weekend pass and you get a few games maybe, but if anyone buys all the PPV games this week you're a big big big mug, ones bad enough. It's not even a case of having more money than sense, it's just utterly idiotic.

Robertd0803

The game will finish just before 10 and match of the day is on at 22:20 so feck em. Do not order!
Didnt MoTD miss out on showing highlights of the 8 o clock game one or twice last season because they didnt get it edited in time or something like that and it became the feature match on MoTD2 the following day?

JB7

I noticed that they’re claiming it’s the 3 o’clock kickoffs so you wouldn’t be able to see them anyway but the United match is being aired at 8 o’clock, which is prime time viewing and a lot more people will be tempted to buy it.
It’s just a way of putting the most sought after game of the weekend on PPV to maximise viewing figures.

The same with Leicester v Villa a 7:45 kickoff again one of the most sought after games of the weekend
Really don't want to seem like I'm defending this because I'm not, but these aren't the most sought after matches at all. The TV picks for October had already been made and it's only the games left over (the games that would traditionally be 3pm on Saturday) that are on PPV.

I do agree with you it's madness to not have Newcastle-United and Leicester-Villa as TV picks but they weren't.

Deery

Dreary
Really don't want to seem like I'm defending this because I'm not, but these aren't the most sought after matches at all. The TV picks for October had already been made and it's only the games left over (the games that would traditionally be 3pm on Saturday) that are on PPV.

I do agree with you it's madness to not have Newcastle-United and Leicester-Villa as TV picks but they weren't.
Maybe City v Arsenal was the most sought after but with the size of the United fan base I think it has a lot of interest enough to warrant a TV pick.

The fact that they have it on at 8 o’clock kind of proves they’re expecting a bigger PPV audience.

Untd55

Not for £15 per game. If you thought like that, you could be out of pocket £60 per week (assuming 4 games ppv per weekend); it could end up costing you thousands if you had a problem like that (Almost £2,000 if you did it every weekend for the season).

I would be tempted for £3 per game, and I sometimes pay the week pass for NOW TV. But £15 is an outrageous price for a single game (which could be awful for all you know), and I will be more tempted to find other means of watching than I would otherwise.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not for £15 per game. If you thought like that, you could be out of pocket £60 per week (assuming 4 games ppv per weekend); it could end up costing you thousands if you had a problem like that (Almost £2,000 if you did it every weekend for the season).

I would be tempted for £3 per game, and I sometimes pay the week pass for NOW TV. But £15 is an outrageous price for a single game (which could be awful for all you know), and I will be more tempted to find other means of watching than I would otherwise.
Oh I agree. Definitely not defending the price. Its pure greed. I just think a lot of people will be unable to resist paying it to watch their own team. I'm sure this price has been carefully thought out and they probably don't predict that they'll get 5 times the viewers at £3 as they would at £15. Time will tell. I certainly hope people don't watch. The price will soon come down in that case.

JB7

Maybe City v Arsenal was the most sought after but with the size of the United fan base I think it has a lot of interest enough to warrant a TV pick.

The fact that they have it on at 8 o’clock kind of proves they’re expecting a bigger PPV audience.
Yeah I don't disagree but the pure fact is it wasn't selected for TV coverage. They've moved it to 8pm as it was clearly the most attractive of the games not selected for regular TV coverage so most likely for a PPV audience but it wasn't considered attractive enough for TV in the first instance.

Not all of Uniteds game are selected for TV, this was one of them.

cyberman

Yeah I don't disagree but the pure fact is it wasn't selected for TV coverage. They've moved it to 8pm as it was clearly the most attractive of the games not selected for regular TV coverage so most likely for a PPV audience but it wasn't considered attractive enough for TV in the first instance.

Not all of Uniteds game are selected for TV, this was one of them.
I cant remember the last trip to Newcastle that wasnt televised?
All this tells me is that they had this in the pipeline since the start of the season

JB7

I cant remember the last trip to Newcastle that wasnt televised?
All this tells me is that they had this in the pipeline since the start of the season
I don't know, I can't remember either in truth but looking at it logically; Liverpool-Everton & City-Arsenal were certainties, Brighton-Palace & Spurs-West Ham are games that get televised every year as they give Sky a Derby Day as they love to promote & I felt Wolves-Leeds was another always likely as Leeds aren't far behind us & Liverpool in the watch figures & it's an interesting one for the neutral.

Tbh I'm as disgusted as anyone with the £15 fee but I don't think it's part of a cynical move, just literally wasn't selected. I think it would have come out by now if it was part of a bigger plan.

cyberman

I don't know, I can't remember either in truth but looking at it logically; Liverpool-Everton & City-Arsenal were certainties, Brighton-Palace & Spurs-West Ham are games that get televised every year as they give Sky a Derby Day as they love to promote & I felt Wolves-Leeds was another always likely as Leeds aren't far behind us & Liverpool in the watch figures & it's an interesting one for the neutral.

Tbh I'm as disgusted as anyone with the £15 fee but I don't think it's part of a cynical move, just literally wasn't selected. I think it would have come out by now if it was part of a bigger plan.
Yeah but Villa and Leicester is a ppv match down the line and so is Arsenal and Leicester.
It might be the way they fell but it looks suspiciously like little test events sprinkled throughout

billdrama

I think this weekend is also complicated by fact Man Utd have to be on Saturday because of CL on Tuesday. Bt have the Sat lunchtime game and understandably went for Everton V Liverpool so when Sky took Man City V Arsenal for their Saturday 17.30 quota it was always unlikely Newcastle V Man Utd would be chosen with a regular pick.

I'll be very interested to see what happens next month onwards with the PPV idea and if they adapt/drop it. It seems quite likely they'll need a sustainable method of showing the 'extra' games for most/all of this season as it doesn't seem likely supporters will be allowed back any time soon, certainly not in any great number. I'm quite surprised they've not adjusted the price at least in response to the criticism.

This is one of biggest petitions I've seen against it - https://www.change.org/p/premier-le...f_combo_share_initial&utm_term=share_petition

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not sure. Boxing is one thing but you get maybe 1 PPV every 2 months. People are tempted to buy it because it's a one off event and they can afford it.

A lot of people simply can't afford to pay £15 every time their team isn't on Sky or BT, tempted or not.

I'm sure they've worked out some model where the low purchase figures are compensated for by the number of games, but it's still pretty despicable when you think they have all the broadcasting equipment and commentary, etc. at every game anyway, so the net cost of providing this as an extra service is small to none. They could be charging £2.50 per game and still rolling in profit.