Premier league matches to be shown on PPV basis via BT and Sky

Supports
England
I hope they drive football in to the ground from their own greed. It’s a rotten industry at this point.
Same. I'm looking forward to the collapse of the industry and will shower in schadenfreude.

Maybe people will stop wasting their lives following football as their primary interest. And maybe football will go back to being actual local clubs run by and for local areas and primarily participated in by local people. Who knows.

Supports
England
If you’ve the disposable income, no one should begrudge you doing so - this is exactly what Sky know will happen en masse though which is the p*sstake.

Football fans are generally rather irrational & act on instinct, not saying it’s as bad as booze or drugs but they’re being rather callous withdrawing something people have depended on for escapism in these times.
In terms of what happens in the brain, the dependence is every bit as bad as an addictive drug. The only positive is that it's not neurotoxic. (I'm a neuroscientist and I'm actively interested in the neuropsychology of following football.)

Nonetheless, you're completely right that the corporations are once again exploiting our devotion to their bread and circuses.

Adamsk7

Same. If anyone’s got a good one for a Mac browser, I’d hate to receive a pm about it

lsd

The Oracle
I can only assume the line up Ole chose today is his way of protesting this and to put the gullible people off paying for this.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Has anyone actually bought this?

Jonno

I caved. the commentary team have been drafted in from lesser games, and they don’t even have a studio/anchorman/woman/pundits.... shoddy from Sky. All that extra money and we don’t even get the full Sky experience

binary bot
I caved. the commentary team have been drafted in from lesser games, and they don’t even have a studio/anchorman/woman/pundits.... shoddy from Sky. All that extra money and we don’t even get the full Sky experience
I imagine some of the mainstream ones are reluctant based on the controversy. They'll slowly filter in as the outrage dies down.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Boycott the fcukers.
I’m doing my own little boycott of NBC pee-cock here. No way I’m paying extra on top of what I already pay. I can live with gif lords goal videos for the time being.

Ludens the Red

No idea why anyone would be paying. Ended up finding about a dozen very good streams all in HD.
Most people have consoles, stick the link in the web browser and you’re basically watching it on tele as you would Super Sunday or monday night football.

Deery

Dreary
These PPV,s have really ripped the heart out of football for me, don’t know about the rest of you but I don’t feel as interested anymore.

And, I’ve just seen there is no Friday Night Football now as it’s on PPV.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I immensely enjoyed my illegal stream yesterday. Have cancelled my Sky and BT subscriptions. Feck em.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Went to a pub to watch the Derby yesterday but they were showing every other game on that day too. Had three pints and a burger with chips. Paid around £16 in total. 3 games, 3 pints and a burger and chips for the price of one PPV at home.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Went to a pub to watch the Derby yesterday but they were showing every other game on that day too. Had three pints and a burger with chips. Paid around £16 in total. 3 games, 3 pints and a burger and chips for the price of one PPV at home.
Yea i would have just went to the pub if it were not covid 19.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I immensely enjoyed my illegal stream yesterday. Have cancelled my Sky and BT subscriptions. Feck em.
I would never do this myself, but if I did, I’d certainly have found myself with a decent experience with only one or two hiccups and seriously considering removing my nowtv account out of my life...

arnie_ni

Any viewing figures released?

Found a class live stream on twitter by accident. If i bothered my arse to find the sourse of it id consider cancelling sky sports and bt it was that good quality

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
These PPV,s have really ripped the heart out of football for me, don’t know about the rest of you but I don’t feel as interested anymore.

And, I’ve just seen there is no Friday Night Football now as it’s on PPV.
Yep! Can relate to this, it’s genuinely effected the enjoyment of it and now I feel like a customer more than ever (I know I always was but now it just feels so transactional).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yea i would have just went to the pub if it were not covid 19.
Yeah, that's one of the issues but this pub had a booking policy/limited people in it and there was only me, my mate and 3 other blokes in a room that could have held around 100 people so it was fine.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I would never do this myself, but if I did, I’d certainly have found myself with a decent experience with only one or two hiccups and seriously considering removing my nowtv account out of my life...
The PPV piss take was the final straw for me. It’s small change for the broadcasters, but I’d rather save the £1k-plus per year and spend it on something worthwhile instead of lining the pockets of the greedy cnuts running the game.

Sylar

The numbers for the first weekend will be interesting. Hopefully it's low, but I reckon the United game will be quite high.

I did see quite a few replies to the boycott hashtag and telling them they are cheapos and 15 for a one off is nothing. Was annoying seeing that response as that will continue the broadcasters drive to keep doing that especially at those prices (which historically show they normally always go up over time rather than down)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Only 2 non-ppv games today?

There's usually 3 on a Sunday (12ish, 2ish and 4ish) or am I remembering that incorrectly?
Incorrectly. There were three on a Sunday occasionally if there was no Monday game but the bulk of the time the non-ppv games were 12:30 and 5:30 on Saturday, 2:00 and 4:30 on a Sunday and 8:00 on Monday - which is the case this week. The ppv games are in the other slots.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The numbers for the first weekend will be interesting. Hopefully it's low, but I reckon the United game will be quite high.

I did see quite a few replies to the boycott hashtag and telling them they are cheapos and 15 for a one off is nothing. Was annoying seeing that response as that will continue the broadcasters drive to keep doing that especially at those prices (which historically show they normally always go up over time rather than down)
Newcastle fans probably bought it, serves them right.

Judas

Open to offers

I did see quite a few replies to the boycott hashtag and telling them they are cheapos and 15 for a one off is nothing.
Was annoying seeing that response as that will continue the broadcasters drive to keep doing that especially at those prices (which historically show they normally always go up over time rather than down)
Absolute imbeciles using that sort of logic. Wonder if they'll feel that way when every big game 15 quid.

El Zoido

I don’t know anybody who paid for it, everyone was totally opposed. Must have spoke to 20+ reds since this announcement and nobody said they were paying for our game. I think the figures will be really low.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They're testing the waters, people paying 15 quid for behind closed doors shoddy produced half arsed presented games is shameful and embarrassing.
It’s obvious isn’t it. They are preparing for this situation to be longer term than anticipated and will be trying to screw subscribers further

predator

Youth NITK
15 quid is just disgraceful. To think ppv boxing events used to be that in the uk. Now they're 25 or more I think.

A 5er would be justified to watch a single match in your own home and I would probably pay it if my streams were going tits up.

15 quid though is staggering. Im convinced they will end up rethinking this one

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What they really should have is PPV over the internet for a fiver. That would be really good. 55 games a season would equal 275 euros. Which is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 900 i pay sky yearly.

All i want to watch is Man Utd and nothing else.

El Zoido

They knew £15 was too much, they’re testing the waters. You don’t open with your lowest offer..

fps

They're testing the waters, people paying 15 quid for behind closed doors shoddy produced half arsed presented games is shameful and embarrassing.
It’s insane because subscribers already pay. And still have to put up with ads and all the rest. People paying more on top of that are morons, disposable income or not they’re brainless, they don’t see what will happen as a result, or they don’t care, which is worse.

Untd55

So, who is going to pay £15 for West Brom v Burnley?

Supposedly, 20% fans in the UK pay on average £20 per ticket to go to watch a Premier League game. They are paying only £5 less to watch it on their own TV, using their own electricity, using their own internet, and using their own settee.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54597058

Brilliant. Good work by the fans:

Newcastle United fans donated £20,000 to charity over the weekend in protest against the Premier League's controversial pay-per-view scheme.

The Magpies' 4-1 defeat by Manchester United on Saturday was one of several Premier League games only available live in the UK for a £14.95 fee.
It applies to the five fixtures in each round of games not televised in the UK.

The "Charity Not PPV" campaign asked fans to donate to the city's West End food bank rather than pay to watch.

croadyman

Reminds me of when Sky used to have a channel called Prem Plus,you could buy games individually for reasonable price or invest in a season ticket to cover them all for around £60