Premier League Not So Festive Season

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Wonder when's the last time we truly destroyed a big team. 4-2 against City under LVG?
Arsenal had more possession, more passes and 8 shots.

Auba only big chance, which he missed given offside incorrectly.

Arsenal made a couple of awful defensive errors and got punished.

Two highly questionable penalties against and one not given for them.

Those two in combination cost them a heavy defeat. In general play they weren't awful.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream

Those two in combination cost them a heavy defeat. In general play they weren't awful.
Will take your word for it as I didn't watch the match. Doesn't sound that way going by the general comments on here though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Going back to today's games Camarasa having a very good season for Cardiff. Obviously a good technical player can stand out more in a team like them but just wondering what his reputation is like in Spain?

I thought he came from Valladolid for some reason but just reading and seems he was a regular for Levante, Alaves (when they had a great year reaching cup final in 2016/17) and played a fair few for Betis last year so surprised Cardiff were able to get him.

minoo-utd

Man United?
Thought you were joking, our players needed better Coaching to not look cowards like you say and attacking mind to not look spineless too. So that's why I hope we will be challenging again soon enough.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Thought you were joking, our players needed better Coaching to not look cowards like you say and attacking mind to not look spineless too. So that's why I hope we will be challenging again soon enough.
I don't want to turn this into a thread about us, but it's been 6 years, our players attitude is kinda weak, which means they won't be challenging anytime soon, we need a fair few players to even begin thinking of challenging for a title.

Guy Incognito

Yeah, but that's been the case for a lot of Arsenal's defeats down the years. General play OK, defensive errors = costly.

Liverpool were good but by no means out of second gear. Due a humbling.

AshRK

We wouldn't have sacked him either.

Unless he started doing a Mourinho and throwing everyone else under the bus.
Media would have eaten him alive for today's loss of he were managing us. Not saying Emery is a bad manager but his tactics today were shocking, no defensive organization nor any game plan.

Albert@13

Supports
Liverpool

Only 2 shots on target vs 10 for Liverpool. And Liverpool had 15 shots in total over the game. Possession is not always a very useful statistic.

Albert@13

Supports
Liverpool
To be fair to Klopp, he learnt that his headless chicken football wouldn't win him a title in England so has become more pragmatic and defensive.
This is just a fallacy. Klopp's championship winning teams in Germany were very good defensively, conceding 22 and 25 goals respectively. In the first championship season that was by far a Bundesliga best, with the next best team conceding 39, and in the other season, the best defense conceded 22.

Klopp's teams were more rounded than people give them credit for.

padr81

Supports
Man City
To be fair to Klopp, he learnt that his headless chicken football wouldn't win him a title in England so has become more pragmatic and defensive.
Yeah Klopp has found a great balance with this Pool side, they play like last season in spells and when needed but when its time to take the points and close a game down they do it really well.

padr81

Supports
Man City
This is just a fallacy. Klopp's championship winning teams in Germany were very good defensively, conceding 22 and 25 goals respectively. In the first championship season that was by far a Bundesliga best, with the next best team conceding 39, and in the other season, the best defense conceded 22.

Klopp's teams were more rounded than people give them credit for.
Thats true but until this season his Liverpool weren't. You are the complete article now, I think having better defenders (well VvD) and Alisson has allowed him to not play heavy metal football 24/7. I don't think you'll run out of steam this season. You are way more capable of closing shop and killing games now. I used to think it was how Klopp wanted to play with you guys but now I think it's how he felt he had to play given your lack of a keeper and top CB. Currently on of the best balanced teams in European football imho.

Sgt.Major

In Fulham - Huddersfield game, although Mitro is the designated penalty taker for Fulham, Kamara didn't care about that and took the ball. They had a small argument, other players surrounded AK telling him to give the ball to Mitro, but he refused and to make everything even worse, he missed the penalty. After the game, Ranieri was furious, said that Kamara went against him, his teammates and the fans, adding that he wanted to kill him, without a slightest smirk, totally serious. Mitro, however, told the media that he's not angry with Kamara because he's done the same thing when he was young and that Kamara changed the game when he came on in the second half. Such a class act of support for a teammate that made a mistake.

But what shocked me the most is what Mitro did just after the quarrel and right before Kamara took the shot. Here's the video, skip to 1:02 mark: http://sportklub.rs/Video/Fudbal/Pr...re-i-Mitra-Francuz-oteo-loptu-i-pogresio.html

And he even scored the late winner for Fulham, completing his wonderful performance.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Klopp will be stupid to leave Liverpool for Madrid if you ask me. He's in the middle of an interesting project at Anfield and they love him there. Madrid, as usual, remains highly unpredictable for any manager. And you just have to wonder about the extent of resources and time needed to rebuild their squad.
This. He'd likely see the uncertainly of the Real gig where being fired can happen quickly, even after a league win.

If he wins a league title with Liverpool they'll build a statue of him and the media will jizz themselves over him as the second coming. He'd be a fool to leave Liverpool at the moment. Per say in five years and he's not won anything, or maybe a lone league title and cup or two, then he MIGHT take the leap to a Barca or Real.

MrMarcello

In fairness to Liverpool, the 13/14 season they were never more than 3 points clear of City without City having games in hand. Tbh, United's 8 point lead with 6 to go was a bigger mess up than Liverpool in 13/14. Its just funny because of the slip thing.
And Van Dijk actually defends properly whereas Skrtel fouled every damn time a player was near especially on set pieces. Was maddening how often he got away with blatant and obvious fouls. They also don't have Mr. Hollywood Hero out there trying to do everything to cement his legacy.

MrMarcello

He bottled it at 5-1, I don’t see why he wouldn’t bottle it when it would actually affect the result of the game.
He and his linesman bottled it with the Mane incident early on. That said, I would still have figured Liverpool for the win a man down against an Arsenal side with no bottle and a shit defense.

prateik

Did you watch the game or just read some stats?
Arsenal were awful. Liverpool sat back after the game was won. They could have scored a few more easily if they wanted to.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Do you know what a dive is? Its someone deliberately throwing themselves on the ground.. did Salah do that? Or are you legit trying to say the force of the tackle put him down?

He was kicked in the back of the leg so foul and peno.
Then he dived on the ground to make sure it was given.

It's not hard to follow really.
Not really. Just try understanding the meaning of a dive.

To clarify , you don't have to fall down to get a penalty. If you are "fouled" in the box you get a penalty and not going down.
Nothing funny about that statement. It's banal if anything.
Can't believe I found people that are actually defending that. Let me spell it out in a bit more detail:

This what he the original statement by some poster was.
100% but he could easily have stayed on his feet, just because it was a foul doesn't mean he didn't dive.
The bold part felt ridiculous because it said that even a genuinely fouled player can be deemed to have dived. Which is ridiculous because the formal definition of a dive (called simulation in the rulebooks) literally says that a player is guilty of simulation if he pretends to be fouled or exaggerates an injury.

Geez!

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool

This is actually correct. We actually looked a bit shaky and our passing was sloppy, unlike the last 3-4 matches. And Arsenal were getting at our defenders fairly regularly. They are quite good going forward. Their defence was all over the place though. But wouldn't say the scoreline flattered us, we wasted quite a few gilt-edged chances too.

Moonwalker

Can't believe I found people that are actually defending that. Let me spell it out in a bit more detail:
The bold part felt ridiculous because it said that even a genuinely fouled player can be deemed to have dived. Which is ridiculous because the formal definition of a dive (called simulation in the rulebooks) literally says that a player is guilty of simulation if he pretends to be fouled or exaggerates an injury.
Geez!
A dive is when you fall down of your own volition, rather than because you were forced to by a foul. What you're portraying, feigning, simulating there is not just contact, but a kind of contact that would bring you down.

It's fascinating that this is opaque to you.

klsv

KDB might miss the match having trouble getting fit. With Fernandinho also still missing, Pep must be confused.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This is actually correct. We actually looked a bit shaky and our passing was sloppy, unlike the last 3-4 matches. And Arsenal were getting at our defenders fairly regularly. They are quite good going forward. Their defence was all over the place though. But wouldn't say the scoreline flattered us, we wasted quite a few gilt-edged chances too.
It shows how much the right mentality matters. Mané could have gotten a red card after 7 minutes, he wasn't ready. Arsenal were all over Liverpool, intercepting passes in Liverpool's third. A goal up, instead of riding the confidence you get Lucas Torreira and some seriously sloppy play from the defense and it's completely turned around. Xhaka was furious at his own players and lost his head after that which meant that Arsenal's midfield was also dead and Liverpool got their groove back way too quickly for Arsenal to handle.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
It shows how much the right mentality matters. Mané could have gotten a red card after 7 minutes, he wasn't ready. Arsenal were all over Liverpool, intercepting passes in Liverpool's third. A goal up, instead of riding the confidence you get Lucas Torreira and some seriously sloppy play from the defense and it's completely turned around. Xhaka was furious at his own players and lost his head after that which meant that Arsenal's midfield was also dead and Liverpool got their groove back way too quickly for Arsenal to handle.
Yup. Aptly put I guess. Up until their first goal, Arsenal had the upper hand I guess. But then Firmino's 2 goals in a matter of minutes and Arsenal never recovered.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
In our last game Pedro went off with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Hudson-Odoi, who also went off with a hamstring injury.

Sarri is going to have to start Giroud or Morata against Palace.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Geez!
Still agree with him.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
A dive is when you fall down of your own volition, rather than because you were forced to by a foul. What you're portraying, feigning, simulating there is not just contact, but a kind of contact that would bring you down.

It's fascinating that this is opaque to you.
It's unfortunate that players rarely get fouls unless they go to ground. Your progress can be impeded and if you stay upright, play goes on. The smart player goes down. I am no advocate of diving but sometimes there is no choice but to fall over. Technically both a dive and a foul.

Yeah, it's a bit rubbish, but a foul's a foul.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I've a feeling Palace are going to get at least a point versus Chelsea today.

saivet

Hopefully Palace pull off the City and Chelsea win like Leicester today!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Be nice if Palace got a result today:D

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Giroud is around. Nailed on to get the winning header.