Premier League Not So Festive Season

Anustart89

I'm not implying that SAF's legacy needed any sort of help as it didn't - He's always been considered one of the greatest.

However, in the years since his retirement, what he achieved just seems to becoming more & more astonishing. We've had some of the best managers in the world in the league, one of which is backed by a fecking country, yet we've not seen a team defend the title once since you lot did it in 09. Clubs throwing around hundreds of millions left right & center, attracting the best talent & managers in the world, yet none of them have come close to winning the three on the bounce you lot did on two separate occasions.

How much of it is down to improved competition is obviously up for debate, but whatever the case, looking back on it, his impact was beyond absurd. No-one will come close to that again.
Look at this fecker, trying to avoid the post-Liverpool-league-title-ban by praising Fergie. I see right through you.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
3-1, that'll settle them down.

KdB and Sane should be back in for Liverpool.

Maybe there's still life in the race...
?. If we don't get a draw next week we could be in trouble and out of the race. You lot panicked way too early.

Ban

SAF wasn't defending titles against a team amassing 100+ points.

Liverpool are on course to get 102-103 points. People are not giving enough credit to the incredible form Liverpool are on at the moment.

City are likely to hit around 90 points, which isn't terrible, but its likely to lose them the title by a wide margin regardless.
Great form but City had a great form last year and they're having difficulty defending the title this year it seems. Saf genius was to make it 3 in a row 2 times.

DavidDeSchmikes

Great form but City had a great form last year and they're having difficulty defending the title this year it seems. Saf genius was to make it 3 in a row 2 times.
Bear in mind 2009-10, we finished 2nd only 1 point behind Chelsea and were an injury time winner from winning 2011-12 season. Could easily have won it 5 in a row

Guy Incognito

SAF wasn't defending titles against a team amassing 100+ points.

Liverpool are on course to get 102-103 points. People are not giving enough credit to the incredible form Liverpool are on at the moment.

City are likely to hit around 90 points, which isn't terrible, but its likely to lose them the title by a wide margin regardless.
SAF wasn't just defending titles though. It was balancing that and going deep in other competitions.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That no.33 for Southampton better watch himself, he has a Targett on his back. I'm sorry

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
At least they've won here but they need massive improvement in performance levels or recent results will keep happening. They look so ropey at the back and a step slower going forward.
They'll be concerned about getting the W today. Bonus of resting several players like Walker and De Bruyne. But yeah if they carry this form into the game against Liverpool then they are fecked.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Bear in mind 2009-10, we finished 2nd only 1 point behind Chelsea and were an injury time winner from winning 2011-12 season. Could easily have won it 5 in a row
Similar can be said after bowing the league in 91-92 and Cantona's banning in 94-95 ultimately losing the league that season (along with that final matchday agony). Easily could have won 5-6 in a row with different results.

There's also choking away the league to Arsenal in 97-98 (though if we go that route then Newcastle's collapse in 95-96 offsets).

SharpshooterTom

If you draw against City then you are heavy favourites. Anything but a City win and it's basically over.
Yeah a draw wouldn't put City out of it. Liverpool would be clear favourites, but if City say by the end of January whittle that down to 5 points (i.e. Liverpool draw an extra game), it starts to become squeeky bum time for Liverpool in the closing stages, it will be interesting to see how they cope with the pressure.

Chelsea and City in the previous two seasons were so far ahead they never felt any pressure.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Exactly, the margins were insanely fine in those two seasons that we didn't win it. During that period we also got to a few CL finals. We never get enough credit when people talk about the all time great English club sides. People wank over Arsenal, Chelsea or City instead. United have only ever won it by fluke or when the league wasn't up to much apparently.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Exactly, the margins were insanely fine in those two seasons that we didn't win it. During that period we also got to a few CL finals. We never get enough credit when people talk about the all time great English club sides. People wank over Arsenal, Chelsea or City instead. United have only ever won it by fluke or when the league wasn't up to much apparently.
Thats not true, just about everyone says that United team was probably the best english team of all time and rightly so I might add.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yeah a draw wouldn't put City out of it. Liverpool would be clear favourites, but if City say by the end of January whittle that down to 5 points (i.e. Liverpool draw an extra game), it starts to become squeeky bum time for Liverpool in the closing stages, it will be interesting to see how they cope with the pressure.

Chelsea and City in the previous two seasons were so far ahead they never felt any pressure.
I think an Ole-led United side gives Liverpool an incredibly tough game at OT in Spring too. If City win today and on Thursday then I think they win the league as they will have had their ropey spell. Lose against the Bin Dippers though and it's absolutely game over.

SharpshooterTom

Thats not true, just about everyone says that United team was probably the best english team of all time and rightly so I might add.
No they don't, a lot of people still think (including me) the 99-01 team was better. There was a poll on here recently asking which was better and it was quite even.

The 99-01 team got 91 points which was our record under Fergie.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The league is weak as piss in the bottom half. 4 teams are on track for 80+ points.

City and Liverpool would be nowhere near the premiere league great teams. Had they existed in previous eras they would not walk over 90% of teams they face like they do now. I'd take 3 different SAF teams over both of these teams. Mourinho's Chelsea and two of Wenger's Arsenal teams in the early days as well.

We haven't had a CL winner in 7 years, whereas we had English teams dominatng the CL in the 2000s.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
There were lots of articles doing the rounds last season during your coronation that suggested otherwise. It's a bit like the season United won the Treble but Ginola was PotY. We've had so many great sides that they almost detract from one another in a weird way.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Are Man. City really going to risk Zivinchenko on Thursday, been their major weak link this afternoon.

Surely you move Danilo across or play Laporte at LB. Liverpool will constantly be attacking that area.

padr81

Supports
Man City
No they don't, a lot of people still think (including me) the 99-01 team was better. There was a poll on here recently asking which was better and it was quite even.

The 99-01 team got 91 points which was our record under Fergie.
Fair enough but I don't think any would argue the teams the OP suggested City, Invincibles or Jose's Chelsea were better. That they had a better league season? probably, that they were a better team overall? Not a single sane person.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Are Man. City really going to risk Zivinchenko on Thursday, been their major weak link this afternoon.

Surely you move Danilo across or play Laporte at LB. Liverpool will constantly be attacking that area.
It'll be Delph on Thursday.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I'd play Laporte at LB. Stones and Otamendi at CB and Walker at RB. Or a 3-5-2 with Walker and Delph as wing backs, and Aguero/Jesus up top.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Good win for Burnley btw.

West Ham must be such a frustrating club to support.

Mick321

Kompany is always treated like some returning genius when he gets on the pitch but he's been a liability for like 3 years now.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We're getting someone sent off before this is over.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
If City beat Liverpool on thursday they are gonna win the league, imo. Can see Liverpool having a collapse after losing their unbeaten run.