Premier league player of the decade.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Had the misfortune of listening to Jim (s)white show on Talksport today.

They had interesting topic of who in their opinion was premier league player of the decade.

It was White, Natalie Sawyer and Glen Johnson. I assumed the three choices would all be Man. City players given whether they're liked or not they are most successful team of decade with four title wins and many cups. Any one of Aguero, David Silva, Yaya Toure or Kompany. Worthy mentions to likes of De Gea, Kane and Eden Hazard aswell.

Natalie Sawyer started off with Aguero which would be my choice given he scored probably most iconic goal of the last 10 years and incredible scoring consistency year in year out.

Glen Johnson...where do I start with this guy. He went for Steven Gerrard! Now correct me if I'm wrong Liverpool fans but Gerrard peak was very much all of the 00s and then after 2010 he started struggling with injuries and Liverpool had many mediocre seasons bar the one in 13/14. Gerrard also left in May 2015 so he dosen't even qualify for my criteria of needing to play more than five full seasons to qualify. Glen Johnson then said if he hadn't of picked Gerrard he'd have then gone for Suarez (left in 2014) or even Torres!:lol:

Not really sure he understands the criteria of the decade in this case, it isn't 2005-15 Glen.

Anyway White said Vardy which is an interesting one.

Thoughts, would go for Aguero as I've said. Likes of Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard who were all also mentioned were much more influential in the 00s.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Maybe bias but it has to be Sergio Aguero for me. In the Premier League he has 173 goals in 250 appearances, winning the title four times. That combined with the QPR goal like you said, he has to be the player of this decade.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Aguero, the only reason it’s even a doubt is because of his injury record pre Guardiola. He’s more refined these days but at his best he was explosive, a real joy to behold.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't we have this thread a couple of weeks ago? Still Aguero.
I did do a brief check back as I did remember some thought of thread (thought it may have been a team of the decade) but you know with the traffic volume on this site threads from just last week can be on page 8-9.

Apologies if it has been done recently though.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Off the top of my head, would have said Silva or Kompany. But yah, Aguero is prolly most worthy of the title.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Gerrard for me is well. He brought so much joy in otherwise a bleak (well, 10-13 aside) decade.

Seriously though — Agüero > Hazard > Silva. Suarez played too little, Rooney, van Persie & others of their ilk had their peak spread between the decades.

Vardy is a nice shout if you want to go with a bold and unexpected choice.

Falcow

No mention of Hazard? Two titles I think and maybe 2 player of the year awards? Johnson should be absolutely ridiculed for suggesting Gerrard.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No mention of Hazard? Two titles I think and maybe 2 player of the year awards? Johnson should be absolutely ridiculed for suggesting Gerrard.
Yes forgot to say Hazard, he's certainly Chelsea best in this decade given Kante only signed in 2016 and likes of Cech, Drogba, Lampard were all more influential in the 2000s for them.

Nickelodeon

David De Gea. The stats back it up. 5 PFA Team of the Year appearances out of 9 till now.

OleBoiii

Has to be one of Aguero, Hazard and DDG. Probably Aguero.

This decade has been quite disappointing when it comes to defenders. The best CBs are Kompany, Van Dijk and past-prime Vidic. The fullback situation is even worse.... Azpilicueta, Zabaleta and past-prime Evra.

Beobachter

Aguero's obviously a top player, but I'd actually go with Silva ahead of him. Been an even more integral and irreplaceable part of City's success this decade.

I'd immediately disqualify Hazard for that one season (perhaps even more?) when he clearly didn't give a crap.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Glenn Murray ... no bias here

MDFC Manager

Shouldn't even be a debate, it's Aguero quite comfortably. What a player he's been.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
1. David Silva: Greatest Manchester City player of all time and the best Premier League player of the decade, IMO. Rarely injured or unavailable (particularly for long stretches), a bastion of unassuming elegance and playmaking adroitness, the creator for the first ⅔ — then a consummate elder statesman in midfield with De Bruyne emerging as the more adventurous passer in the final third, and the most productive assist-maker of the last 10 seasons. If Agüero is the cold-blooded executioner then Silva is surely the beau-ideal architect of City's success for the entire period...as well as a genuine artist on the pitch. You could argue that he was never a Ballon D'Or Top 5 candidate like Suárez 2013/14, but on the flip side, no one has been as consistently good as him (aside from maybe Agüero).

2. Sergio Agüero: Definitely worthy of the #1 spot on other lists. Prolific and decisive and effervescent when fit — like a counterfeit Romário. Also produced that dramatic title-winning moment. But loses out to Silva in this one by a whisker.

3. Eden Hazard: More erratic than Silva — peaks and valleys vs. a plateau, but a mesmeric force when at the top of his game (and full of purpose) — and a bit more central to Chelsea's success than Silva/Agüero to City's, if we're being fair with our individual assessments. Also the only player in the Top 3 to win the FWA/PFA Player of the Year award, for whatever it's worth.

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
I’ve almost forgotten how dominant Yaya was for a few seasons back then. Great player.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Has to be Aguero. His iconic goal was practically the start of City’s dynasty, which happened to snatch the title from the previous dynasty at the same time. You can make arguments for him or Silva with stats, but Silva doesn’t have an iconic goal to match. And those sorts of things have a lot of weight in a footballer’s legend.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For me to even be considered you have had to play 7 out of 10 seasons from 2010 through 2019. So for me it has to be Aruero or David Silva, followed by De Gea. Sure, my criteria may make the list of candidates a little shorter, but how many people are good enough to make it at the top level in the EPL for that long? Not many. Johnson even mentioning Gerrard is a joke. Sure, he was a great player but he retired ages ago.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Hazard was an absolute force of nature at his peak, almost unstoppable when he was in the mood.

Thankfully Madrid have bought him now that he’s slower and fatter than he used to be.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Hazard for me. Seemed like a one-man team during stretches. Unplayable at his peak and didn't require service.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Vardy, innit! From non league to England international, Premier League champion. Easy decision,close thread.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's between Aguero and Hazard. I'd say Hazard was better at his best whereas Aguero the more consistent performer of the two (but this is influenced by City being more steady /less dependent/less prone to crashing)

EDIT - missed out on including De Gea. Right up there with anyone.

pacifictheme

Maybe bias but it has to be Sergio Aguero for me. In the Premier League he has 173 goals in 250 appearances, winning the title four times. That combined with the QPR goal like you said, he has to be the player of this decade.
Has to be aguero.