Premier League Referees

SuperiorXI

They should get rid of on pitch refs and have a panel of 3 refs that decide on everything off camera, must be miced up. Each get a vote on what should happen.

Oranges038

Mad that VAR doesn't work properly when it is the same group of shit referees that sit in front of the monitors reviewing decisions.

VivaRonaldo85

You only have to watch how much better the refereeing is in the champions league to see how poor it is in the premier league.

Fitchett

If the refs are consistently bad despite VAR, why are we not raising the possibility of bias/corruption? I mean, if Sepp Blatter who was on waaaay more money could fall prey to corruption, why not Premier League referees?
Exactly! It was obvious that the PL referees were incompetent before the advent of VAR. The introduction of VAR is there to help them, but their refusal to use it properly strongly reeks of wanting to corrupt matches, either for their own club biases, or betting or match fixing. One only has to look at the use of VAR by other footballing bodies and country, as well as other sports, to see that it can and should be used correctly.

acnumber9

Can anyone explain to me why Kane's challenge wasn't looked at? I can't think of any reason.
He’s England captain. The fact he even got a yellow comes as a surprise. A red card tackle becomes a yellow card and a yellow card becomes just a free kick. It’s the benefit of that role.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The big issue for me is this "clear and obvious" nonsense... Why not just rely on opinion? Did second ref think something different to the ref? Well then review it... Would make it much easier then having to satisfy this imaginary bar that differs from game to game.
Exactly this, combined with….”VAR isn’t here to re-referee the game” makes complicated something that doesn’t need to be.

Basically referees on the whole are so full of their own sense of self-importance that as a collective they have come up with this nonsense to stop them from being told they were wrong…..unless they were so obviously wrong, that they have to take one for the team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Idxomer

Refs aren't following the rules. They are giving decisions based on what they feel at a specific moment and follow the narrative, sometimes they even create the narrative on their own.

Clattenburg once admitted all that but no one cared.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Definitely. Think he's pretty widely regarded as the greatest referee ever.
He did some pretty weird decision though. The 2nd leg between Villarreal - Everton match looked like it was fixed thanks to his refereing.

arnie_ni

It's bad enough when I see shite happening to other times, but when it's against us, I just can't deal anymore.
What a shambles the PL are at officiating matches.
Refs letting this game go both ways. Missed a foul or two on Saint maxim as well

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Certainly a reluctance to send off big names but guess that's always been the way.

Everyone but Harry Kane knew he should've walked v Liverpool but his England captain status saved him and I thought Ronaldo was incredibly lucky not to get a red tonight. There may not have been a huge amount of contact but the force he went into certainly constituted dangerous and reckless play, amazed Pawson wasn't directed to the monitor.

UncleBob

https://www.skysports.com/football/...oul-on-christian-pulisic-during-brighton-draw

It would be funny to have a bit of a read through of all his reviews of the different situations, I get the impression that he struggles to maintain the same direction in terms of interpretations. If the referee has made a decision, or VAR for that matter, he’ll usually set out to defend it.

Like defending the decision to only show Rudiger a yellow card for his two feet lunge on the basis that he hits the ball. He comes in at high speed, lunges in with both feet off the ground and studs towards the player, it’s just fine margins that he doesn’t hit the player. No idea how it’s not considered as a tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

It was pretty much the same with Harry Kane, who he says was lucky to stay on the pitch but then starts defending the decision not to send him off.

In terms of referees blowing early, like Dean did, i don’t see why it shouldn’t be similar as for the linesman waiting until situation is over until he flags if he thinks it’s offside, so if it’s a goal it can be properly reviewed.

CraftySoAndSo

Another batch of refereeing performances of the highest quality this weekend. They need to start explaining their decisions and be held accountable for those decisions and performances but alas that'll never happen.

Hester_manc

I think the standard is too low in England compared to it being the best league in the world. I wish you could hire referees from abroad too so you could get the best referees in the best leagues. If you fear that a foreign referee would not follow the English football culture, you could just hire the referees who would be able to live up to the league's culture.

ShareEndorphins

Supports
Chelsea
Last week against Brighton the hand ball in the box now Mane. Taylor you...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Paul “if in doubt give it to the home side” Tierney

SER19

The more help that get the worse they get. Theyve become the most influential people on the pitch

kyofusho

He's balanced it out with keeping McTominay on the pitch. Somehow.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's balanced it out with keeping McTominay on the pitch. Somehow.
Was just thinking this. He's given Leeds absolutely everything but conversely McTominay should have about 4 yellow cards :lol:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Was just thinking this. He's given Leeds absolutely everything but conversely McTominay should have about 4 yellow cards :lol:
Sell McTominay to Burnley and you'll have the most immune player to a red card in the world.

SirAnderson

Still so unbearable seeing the constant weekly errors. Surely the other leagues don't suffer as bad in their application of the rules and of VAR as the PL refs do.
It's a travesty. Worst is that there is absolutely nothing that can be done, or will be done about it.