Premier League table since Ole took over

Siorac

Ah yeah true technically. Also last time before that was between 84/85 and 85/86 I think. It's still incredibly rare, for all our "dominance" over Arsenal, it's incredibly rare to win successive away games against big teams.
Which is why it's more than a little annoying that City seem to do it all the fecking time at Old Trafford.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You literally said we should be able to win away to Arsenal and wolves without saying they're tough games, seemingly ignoring that Arsenal at home is almost as hard as it gets in the premier league and Wolves have gotten results against pretty much every big team this season bar probably City?
They’ve taken points off City as well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
League wise though like I said he had 5 very easy, winnable games at the beginning. The only big games he had in the league.

Liverpool H - 0-0, could have gone either way
Spurs A - 1-0, one shot and we scored, De Gea got man of the match, Spurs should have won
Arsenal A - 0-2, we were awful

We have Everton (A), City and Chelsea at home still to play. He could potentially end up with 1 unjust win and a home draw against the top 7 sides in the league.

I'm not saying he's done a bad job, not at all but if we lose all our big games to the end of the season I personally don't think he warrants the job.
Vs Arsenal we were actually terrific, 1 shot that normally is a routine stop from de Gea and then we're chasing the game. Missed loads of chances, and then ref gives a pen that was never a pen. So that's bullshit.

Liverpool at home our team died but we still had better chances in the game, but got a 0-0 which is fine.

Spurs away we couldve scored about 3 actually, 1st half we were dominant while Rashford missed his 1 on 1 in the 2nd, though of course they had chances as they were losing so needed to push. Saying they deserved to win is bs, we had the lead and dominated the first half. Of course they will push for an equalizer since we had the result.

So basically, your summary is a load of shit.

bosnian_red

Which is why it's more than a little annoying that City seem to do it all the fecking time at Old Trafford.
To be fair even then we seem to trade wins. Since they became one of the top teams basically, it's been pretty even.

17/18: 2-1 loss at home, 3-2 win away
16/17: 2-1 loss at home, 1-0 win at home (league cup), 0-0 draw away
15/16: 0-0 draw at home, 2-1 win away
14/15: 1-0 loss away, 4-2 win at home
13/14: 4-1 loss away, 3-0 loss at home fecking Moyes)
12/13: 3-2 win away, 2-1 loss home
11/12: 6-1 loss home, 3-2 win away (fa cup), 2-1 loss away
10/11: 0-0 draw away, 2-1 win home, 1-0 loss (fa cup semi)

7 wins, 3 draws, 9 losses

Biggest difference was the Moyes season. This season of course they beat us too.

Cypherage

I think people are just looking at anything to have a go at Ole,ok he is not a "fancy name manager" however,this is not Ole's team either,this is an accumulation of Sir Alex,Moyes,LVG ,Ed Woodward & Jose's team,the fact that there are players still here from Sir Alex's reign,who have far from improved the team,highlights a bigger issue at a higher level then manager,and that being Woody & Co.

The majority of players in are team,would get no where near the first team at clubs like Barca & Madrid,and as a club,United are turning into Liverpool of old,in that we bang on about history,when the current situation is that the club is in a funk in regards to the quality that is actually out on the field.

De Gea:- Obviously World Class,not been his best this season however has been United's saving grace for sometime.(SAF signing)
Smalling :- Slight improvement,but would he get into Madrid or Barca? very unlikely(squad player at best)(SAF signing)
Jones :- Not overly improved again would he be first choice in the top teams? No(Squad player at best)(SAF signing)
Bailly:- Almost forgot to include him,inconsistent,solid one moment,rash the next,very injury prone(Would Sell)(Jose Signing)
Lindelöf:- Slow starter,panics at times,but seems to be improveing as the seasons go on(still only 24)
Young :- Been a good player over the years,but is not a RB and should of never been given a new contract(Woody Error)(SAF signing)
Shaw:- Has improved a lot,still only 23,but has slacked a little since having a new contract.(Ed Woodward Signing)
Matic:- Hit & Miss,mostly miss,could be sold and not really be missed(personally would sell)(Jose Signing)
Herrera:- Has captain mentality,does the dirty work pretty well but does not warrant the alleged wages that he is asking for.(Ed Woodward signing)
Mctominay:- personally did not rate him to start with,but with each passing game,he impresses me more and more, and still only 22.(Academy)
Fred:- Very slow start,still seems fragile at times,tends to lose the ball pretty easily as well,but would give him more time.(Jose Signing)

Pogba:- Great player,crap attitude,loyalty is questionable,despite his ability,inconsistent at times,personally would sell.(Jose Signing)
Pereira:- Still young,has plenty of time,and probably oppertunity to improve more(would personally send out on loan to a PL team)(academy)
Mata:- Nice guy,but his ability is now lacking(would sell or let go)
Lingard:- In bad form at the moment,At the age of 26 will he really improve any more? squad player at best.(Academy)
Sanchez:- Where to start? possibly one of the biggest mistakes United have made(Sell,Sell,Sell)(Ed or Jose Signing?)
Lukaku:- Has never felt like a United player,has a rubbish first touch still,no hate for the guy,just ,he feels off(Would Sell)(Jose Signing)
Rashford:- Still Rash at times,runs like the wind,but has a brain like a sieve sometimes(still young,plenty of time to improve)(academy)
Martial:- Has ability,but very inconsistent,frustrating to watch at times also(still only 23,hopefully will improve)(LVG signing)

So looking at that team,at what point has Ole really had time to improve the actuall ability of those players,you look at that team and think Jones 27 & Smalling 29,Young 33,Herrera 29,Matic 30,Mata 30,Sánchez 30, these these players i have mentioned in this paragraph,should be at their peak,Young aside,who should be no where near this team now,the rest of them should be showing better ability then what they are,and that comes down to the quality that they are and ever will be.

The whole squad needs a huge overhaul,i mean some of these players for the wages they earn are stealing from United,the ones i have made in bold,i would say have a pretty good future at United to some degree,the rest could easily be moved along,and it would have very little impact on the team as a whole.

The reason why i have left Pogba out,is because despite his ability,he just screams mercenary,he is ready to jump ship again,and flirting with Madrid while still a United player? he is not Ronaldo levels of ability. A lot of people will probably disagree with me,but its an opinion i have and nothing will change it short of Pogba,manning up and showing that he can actually be a true leader and captain of Manchester United,and so far he has not shown that.

Overall the squad is a mix and match of Managers who have come and gone,none of these players are Ole's signings,none of these players are Ole's mark,but a lot of these players,should have gone from the club a long time ago.

The common theme in all of this is the person in charge of over seeing the signings of both players & managers,how many managers will United go through before they realise you can not and will not ever be able to turn a bank manager into a director of football,and until the issues above manager level are sorted,then everything else will continue to be unstable.

Looking at it for Ole to get what he has got out of that lot,is a job well done. Honeymoon period is no doubt over,but Until the summer transfer window is open,and we can ship in and out(and do a proper spring clean of the club) then United will continue to struggle,and no manager will drag us out of the funk.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Obviously teams do have periods where they struggle to get good results, but when the team has been playing like crap for about two months with next to no identity and organization on the pitch, then it's genuine cause for concern I would say.
We had good games during this period as well. With the amount of injuries and obvious fatigue from long season it was to be expected. A lot of top teams have actually struggled recently.

Treble

Di Matteo won the CL with Chelsea, something which Mourinho couldn't.

The results in those 16 games are sensationally good but don't mean much for the future. Burnley have been nearly as good as Chelsea and Spurs over those 16 games which shows that the sample is a bit small to draw conclusions about long-term tendencies.

Ole will be judged by the end of next season when things will be much clearer than now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You literally said we should be able to win away to Arsenal and wolves without saying they're tough games, seemingly ignoring that Arsenal at home is almost as hard as it gets in the premier league and Wolves have gotten results against pretty much every big team this season bar probably City?
I acknowledge they're tough games but I don't buy that it's acceptable to just write those games off because they're tough

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
Wow some of you really are plain idiots. Slap your self in the face and wake UP.

Most of the players in Manchester United is either over the top. Rest is very injury proned. And several is Just shitty squad players that belonge in teams that do not fight for top 4.

Personally i think what Mourhinio achieved with United the time he was there is the best he have done in any club he have trained. Cause the team has been bad for years. The owners have spent tiny amount of money for years compared to City etc.
United has become a milking cow. Were they have spent less and less and taken more and more into their pocket.

That Solskjær have managed what he has done with United is a miracle. With so many injuries and many hard games i rank it higher than what Guardiola have done at the same time with City. When you Come back from a injury it take time to play at your best again. So the last week results is because of injuries. Tottenham Just had two months with ultra shitty results noone talks about that.

With the squad United have now wich have been taken badly cared of for 6 years i rank United as the worst of the top 6 teams. Over payed primadonnas like Pogba is not enough. He could been a superstar. But he will never become one cause he only play for himself and his benefit and not for the team.

To get United back to the top will take 2 maybe 3 years if the owners stop milking and start spending.

The ones of you saying so much bad things about Ole should be ashamed of your self Cause he has done good.

Djemba-Djemba

It's absolutely mental that some people are slagging off Ole.

Mental.

We were appalling on Saturday, of course we were but we won and surely Ole has built up a decent amount of goodwill considering we're still in the CL and we have a realistic shot at top 4?

Keefy18

Image here since he took over as well, includes PL Top scorers as well.

This is correct as of yesterday's results. I'll update it tonight after the Gooners game as well

Folks are blowing our recent dip in form out of proportion completely.

We've lost twice in the league and arguably both were a bit unlucky too.

Arsenal - Deflected goal and a penalty
Wolves - Player error and and OG.

Untd55

I think the results have been good, but I don't actually see how people think we have performed well. Yes, we have put in a good performance here and there, but overall I think our performances have been average to poor. I just believe that people are being blinded by results and are not looking at the actual performances.

Newcastle (Poor); Leicester (Poor) - we were lucky that Leicester somehow played worse than us; Burnley (Poor); Southampton (Poor) - Lukaku won us that game; PSG First Leg (Diabolical) - PSG were not even good in that game and we managed 0 shots; PSG Second Leg - Yes, it was a good result, but you have to be kidding yourself if you think it was a good performance - won because of luck and Lukaku (Again, PSG were not good); Wolves FA Cup (Diabolical); Watford (Poor); Wolves (Poor); West Ham (Poor); Barcelona (Certain areas of the team played well, but we managed a grand total of 0 shots on target).

Cardiff, Huddersfield, and Fulham are relegation fodder so I don't really count those as we should be beating them.

Overall, I thought our play has looked disjointed; our players look like a bunch of strangers 60% of the time. We look inept in the attack; there are not any patterns to our play; there is very little structure. Solskjaer has been here 4 months now, so I would have expected more signs of changes to our play rather than just the number of shots increasing (seriously, they are not even good chances). I think he has failed so far in establishing or laying the base work for a proper structure to our play.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think the results have been good, but I don't actually see how people think we have performed well. Yes, we have put in a good performance here and there, but overall I think our performances have been average to poor. I just believe that people are being blinded by results and are not looking at the actual performances.

Newcastle (Poor); Leicester (Poor) - we were lucky that Leicester somehow played worse than us; Burnley (Poor); Southampton (Poor) - Lukaku won us that game; PSG First Leg (Diabolical) - PSG were not even good in that game and we managed 0 shots; PSG Second Leg - Yes, it was a good result, but you have to be kidding yourself if you think it was a good performance - won because of luck and Lukaku (Again, PSG were not good); Wolves FA Cup (Diabolical); Watford (Poor); Wolves (Poor); West Ham (Poor); Barcelona (Certain areas of the team played well, but we managed a grand total of 0 shots on target).

Cardiff, Huddersfield, and Fulham are relegation fodder so I don't really count those as we should be beating them.

Overall, I thought our play has looked disjointed; our players look like a bunch of strangers 60% of the time. We look inept in the attack; there are not any patterns to our play; there is very little structure. Solskjaer has been here 4 months now, so I would have expected more signs of changes to our play rather than just the number of shots increasing (seriously, they are not even good chances). I think he has failed so far in establishing or laying the base work for a proper structure to our play.
Not arsed to go by each point, how the feck were we poor against Burnley when we created shit loads of chances and they scored from their 2 chances?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

fecking hell fire, you must be a right laugh at parties.

Untd55

Not arsed to go by each point, how the feck were we poor against Burnley when we created shit loads of chances and they scored from their 2 chances?
You thought Burnley was a good performance? Your expectations must be low. We had 28 shots and 9 on target. From having 19 shots off target, I can deduce we took a lot of pot shots, so we clearly lacked creativity and could not break through their defence. That matches what I remember of the game.

Some of those shots are going to go on target, but in truth, we created one good chance at the start of the game (Rashford messed up) and not another one until we went 2v0 down. I just don't understand how that is anything other than a poor performance.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You thought Burnley was a good performance? Your expectations must be low. We had 28 shots and 9 on target.
:lol::lol::lol:

Oh my days.

Edit: just making everyone aware that this is roughly 10 shots more than City manage a game with more on target as well.

fecking hell.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You thought Burnley was a good performance? Your expectations must be low. We had 28 shots and 9 on target. From having 19 shots off target, I can deduce we took a lot of pot shots, so we clearly lacked creativity and could not break through their defence. That matches what I remember of the game.

Some of those shots are going to go on target, but in truth, we created one good chance at the start of the game (Rashford messed up) and not another one until we went 2v0 down. I just don't understand how that is anything other than a poor performance.
You are going by results which completely contradicts your first post.

Even going by xG model it was 3.2 vs 0.9.

Going by any stats we completely dominated them. If you keep giving excuses for every win, at least be consistent in your logic.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

:lol:

Another stat from that “poor” performance you might want to ponder is possession. We had 74% of it.

Sarni

To be fair even then we seem to trade wins. Since they became one of the top teams basically, it's been pretty even.

17/18: 2-1 loss at home, 3-2 win away
16/17: 2-1 loss at home, 1-0 win at home (league cup), 0-0 draw away
15/16: 0-0 draw at home, 2-1 win away
14/15: 1-0 loss away, 4-2 win at home
13/14: 4-1 loss away, 3-0 loss at home fecking Moyes)
12/13: 3-2 win away, 2-1 loss home
11/12: 6-1 loss home, 3-2 win away (fa cup), 2-1 loss away
10/11: 0-0 draw away, 2-1 win home, 1-0 loss (fa cup semi)

7 wins, 3 draws, 9 losses

Biggest difference was the Moyes season. This season of course they beat us too.
We won 1-0 at their stadium in 2015-16 and we lost 1-0 to them at Etihad in 2011-12.

Yes I am being pedantic here.

Sarni

If you take away all the goals scored under Ole, we wouldn’t have won a single game until now.

If that doesn’t tell you how utterly terrible the last 4 months have been then nothing will.

Sarni

Maybe you have low expectations but I expect roughly 848204 shots a game against Burnley!
Anything less than 50 shots with 20 on target is abysmal and proves how clueless Ole is.

Anustart89

Ole really made a rod for his own back with that run at the start, breaking the all-time club record with nine consecutive away wins in his first nine away games, with a disjointed squad not up to the required fitness that he wants from his team and where he’s had zero influence over the personnel.

Now everything less than that looks like a failure to some people who obviously know nothing.

Untd55

:lol:

Another stat from that “poor” performance you might want to ponder is possession. We had 74% of it.
This is more than just to you, I just can't be bothered to quote everyone.

If possession was such a great indicator of having a good performance, Van Gaal would still be in charge. He had a very good record in that regard. We had a great deal of possession because Burnley sat back and caught us out twice. That is how Burnley plays, so we cannot say we pinned them in their own half.

It is the job of the bigger team (In this case: Manutd) to breakdown the smaller team. If they fail to create good openings and chances, it is not a good performance. We had one good chance at the start of the game, which Rashford missed. We then did not create another good opportunity until we went 2v0 down, which was at the 81st minute. Can you really say that it is a good performance even though we could not break them down or successfully create opportunities until the 81st minute? I don't think so.

On to the point about shots. People have picked out about the 28 shots, but 75% were missed. This is an indicator that a team was taking pot shots because they were clueless, which is what happened in the game. A clueless performance is not conducive to a good performance. We were clueless in trying to break them down until we went 2v0 down, so we started taking pot shots.

(28 total shots - 9 shots on target)x 75% possession = Poor performance (Put it into an equation to make it more statistical - everyone loves statistics)

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is more than just to you, I just can't be bothered to quote everyone.

If possession was such a great indicator of having a good performance, Van Gaal would still be in charge. He had a very good record in that regard. We had a great deal of possession because Burnley sat back and caught us out twice. That is how Burnley plays, so we cannot say we pinned them in their own half.

It is the job of the bigger team (In this case: Manutd) to breakdown the smaller team. If they fail to create good openings and chances, it is not a good performance. We had one good chance at the start of the game, which Rashford missed. We then did not create another good opportunity until we went 2v0 down, which was at the 81st minute. Can you really say that it is a good performance even though we could not break them down or successfully create opportunities until the 81st minute? I don't think so.

On to the point about shots. People have picked out about the 28 shots, but 75% were missed. This is an indicator that a team was taking pot shots because they were clueless, which is what happened in the game. A clueless performance is not conducive to a good performance. We were clueless in trying to break them down until we went 2v0 down, so we started taking pot shots.
Dude, stop. Just stop.

You've gone to the effort of looking for stats to back up your opinion that we've played badly. These stats confirm that not only did we dominate possession (more than Liverpool or City managed against Burnley) we used that possession to absolutely pepper their goal. 28 shots at goal, with 9 on target, is also more than Liverpool or City could manage against the same opposition (Liverpool were 23 and 5, City 24 and 10)

So this is the point where you go, oops, my bad, perhaps I'm not remembering the game with 100% accuracy. Doubling down with waffle about "pot shots" and "75% were missed" is only making you look silly. It's the Donald Trump school of debate. Which is never a good look.

bosnian_red

I acknowledge they're tough games but I don't buy that it's acceptable to just write those games off because they're tough
It's not a write off, but it's also reasonable to expect you'll lose a few, win a few and draw a few against fellow top 6 opposition. Its teams close to each other in terms of quality, that always happens. Rarely is a team dominant in every big games

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's not a write off, but it's also reasonable to expect you'll lose a few, win a few and draw a few against fellow top 6 opposition. Its teams close to each other in terms of quality, that always happens. Rarely is a team dominant in every big games
Well Wolves aren't top 6 opposition but that was my point, I can make peace with loosing to Arsenal, maybe Wolves in the cup and obviously Barcelona but to loose to Wolves again in the league and all 4 games in quick succession, yeah not great

Hughie77

Top 6 are so far ahead , of the rest, it's 2 leagues in 1. Next season we have to be consistent, in results, to keep up with city and pool, who don't drop points , there machine like , play bad they pick up points, we've played bad and picked up points, not as much as those 2.

No matter who we get in summer, home form has to improve, goals conceded at home is bad, away is better I think, we cannot lose to any of the top 6 next season, and have to beat all the others home and away, if we are going to win prem.

Roll on let's see.

baskinginthesun

38 out of 48 points while playing poorly. Incredible really. We’ll smash the points record for the Premier League once Ole figures out a way for us to not play poorly in every game. Can’t wait.
Not bad, eh? Finding points in matches is hard to do sometimes but, I like that he and the team is able to do that especially as we haven't necessarily played great in recent matches.

bosnian_red

Well Wolves aren't top 6 opposition but that was my point, I can make peace with loosing to Arsenal, maybe Wolves in the cup and obviously Barcelona but to loose to Wolves again in the league and all 4 games in quick succession, yeah not great
I agree, but if you look at the whole half season then there really cant be too many complaints. You expect poor runs here and there, it's just important we finish strongly. Ending the season with a low to mid 70s points total would make Ole's half season pretty successful IMO, even if we miss out on top 4.