Premier League table since Ole took over

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
A lot of our performances have been very similar to the final few years under Sir Alex. Finding a way to win despite not playing too well. Especially on Saturday. Still, quite promising.
No, we were always playing free flowing football and scoring 4 a game under Fergie while recording 25 shots on target.

That's what half of this forum seem to think.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We aint fecking Burnley, we should be able to beat Arsenal and Wolves without saying ah yeah but they were tough games.
Did you know Sir Alex in all his years here never managed to win back to back away games against Arsenal? But that's apparently the standard that we expected out of Ole now?

deadrevelz

I think these stats show what most of us believe which is that Ole has improved us since he took over but that we are still a level below top two. We have been lucky in some games, however we have also been unlucky with injuries.

Skills

Snitch
Well we have people on here who actually think that Mourinho will play no part in us not getting top 4 and it will 100% be Ole's fault because at one point we were ahead of Arsenal and Chelsea (after he caught up the 10+ point gap through our great run).
Yeah that's stupid. The fact that we actually put up title winning form for 16 games that keeps pace with City and Liverpool should be sign of encouragement, rather than bashing Ole and 90% of the squad.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yes and we should be winning 38 games every season or else Ole should be fired.
Did you know Sir Alex in all his years here never managed to win back to back away games against Arsenal? But that's apparently the standard that we expected out of Ole now?
You both know I said nothing of the sort but dont let that get in the way of your hysterics

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Four top sides? The touchiness is a bit wierd I'm all for a bit of positivity but we've been shit recently it's hard to deny. It's not Ole's fault but it is concerning.

We're back to the position of not being confident before every match no matter the opposition
Going through the run of games for the other teams in that table was interesting. They've all had sketchy runs of form/results in 2019. Ours is the most recent but if all those other teams could turn things round there's a good chance we can too.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Liverpool have an extra game in there too, which with such a small points difference shouldn't be overlooked.

I think it's pretty clear he's doing a great job and recent stumbles have had a lot to do with injury problems and the squad looking generally bolloxed.

There's work to be done, obviously, but we're not a million miles away and with a few key positions hopefully to be addressed and some fitness improvements as a starting point I'm reasonably optimistic for next season.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yes and we should be winning 38 games every season or else Ole should be fired.
:lol: Tough luck Ole, good luck next season.

The past few games have been sobering for sure, for me more about the state of the squad than Ole and his coaching team, but there is no doubt in my mind Ole has done well given the circumstances here when he arrived. The table in the OP proves that much, whether he's the right man for the job long-term is still debatable, of course.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree with this sentiment. Major reason why I have been disagreeing with all of the ‘we can’t challenge next year anyway so...’ declarations I’ve seen in the TF. Some have even been saying ‘we can’t challenge for the next 3 years’.

Liverpool finished 4th last season, but their form in the second half of the season was seen as enough to install them as joint favourites this season - above us who finished 2nd. As soon as the season was done, there was an expectation that they would challenge next season. The expectation, and criticism is always higher with us. This is why we need particularly strong mentalities in the squad as the pressure is just too much for many I reckon, even the manager at times. Jose was bullied out of it by the press, and towards the end, he was clearly struggling to come to terms with the witch hunt (which he described as ‘manhunt’). I suspect Ole may have a little more room to work with and next season he will want to take it quickly to keep the narrative positive.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The playing badly and winning thing uncovers a classic football fan bias. When it's other teams doing it you despair at how good they are at grinding out results even when they're not on form and it's only a matter of time before they're through this dip and smashing teams again. When it's your own team doing it you despair about how you'll get shown up the moment you play a decent side. It's a bit like imposter syndrome.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I think these stats show what most of us believe which is that Ole has improved us since he took over but that we are still a level below top two. We have been lucky in some games, however we have also been unlucky with injuries.
We may have been lucky in some games but we're not the only side who have that. Half Liverpool's goals have been either offside or from dodgy penalties, and City have scraped through a few games too.

Smores

Going through the run of games for the other teams in that table was interesting. They've all had sketchy runs of form/results in 2019. Ours is the most recent but if all those other teams could turn things round there's a good chance we can too.
Well i think that's the source of contention isn't it. Some are worried about what might follow given our current form as they've seen it from these players before where as the other side is optimistic we'll turn it around considering the longer trend since Ole arrived. I think both are valid

For me i see a difference in mentality which is why I'm worried and discount those early games in my judgement. Nothing to do with Ole.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Mourinho really fecked us up. If we don't finish in the top 4 it's not because of our losses to wolves or Arsenal, it's because we gave Mourinho about 10 games more than we should have.
Those matches we lost to Brighton and West Ham beginning of the season. :mad:

Tarrou

Nice one for starting a positive thread about Ole @Pogue Mahone

the main criticism Ole seems to get is the line-ups lately, but he's working with a lot of dross and dealt with an injury crisis too

the squad looks knackered and I don't think it's any coincidence that some of our best performers recently (Fred and McT) are relatively fresh

I'm going to go against the grain (judging on the match day threads, at least) and say I'm happy with Ole tactically too. He's showed a lot of variation in his tactics as he attempts to get the most of the squad. Sometimes it hasn't worked, but come on just at the Ole table and then look at how gash we were before he took over - he's done an incredible job

Siorac

Well... back to back away LEAGUE games. In May 2009 we beat them in the CL and then in January 2010 we beat them in the Premier League. Both ended 3-1 at the Emirates.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How the alarm bells didn't ring for Woody after this at West Ham I'll never know:

De Gea
Young - McTominay - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw
Fellaini - Matic - Pogba
Lukaku - Martial​

Disgrace of a man.

Sarni

Yeah and you have people slagging Ole for only beating West Ham 2-1 at home when we were absolutely murdered in the away leg half a year ago.

deadrevelz

How the alarm bells didn't ring for Woody after this at West Ham I'll never know:

De Gea
Young - McTominay - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw
Fellaini - Matic - Pogba
Lukaku - Martial​

Disgrace of a man.
That line up isn't that different to what we play now if you tell Young and Shaw to get forward. Matic and Lukaku were in particularly awful form then though.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Oh look, another thread filled with Jose and Poch fanboys crying their eyes out, bitxhing and moaning about Ole. People seems to have forgoten where we were mid December and how depressed we all were. I guess winning all those games made people think we have brilliant players who will win PL this season. What he has done is nothing short of mirace with overpayed and over hyped dros we have. How many of us thought we will knock PSG out?
I guess playing FM makes people think they know it better than managers, and maybe what Ince said is in the back of lot of people minds.
Remember when Jose said we wont get to top 4? Look where we are now. And if don't get ther it will be Ole's fault, right? But hey, we don't don't play wonderful heavy metal, rock and rool, blues, hip hop, turbo folk, blah, football that we all remember playing under top top managers like LVG, Jose and David "needed more time" Moyes. Not to forget all those 26 years when we had 385 shot on and of targer while scoring 45 goals every game...

Josep Dowling

Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't think he should have been given the job based on what he had done. There was always going to be bounce after Mourinho left, and he had an incredibly easy 5 game run at the beginning. They should have waited until the summer. If we finish 6th and get knocked out in the quarter finals of the Champions League does he honestly deserve the job?

Surely we would have got 6th with Mourinho. And in last few weeks the football has been just as bad as under Mourinho. We haven't had a shot at a keeper for 180 minutes in two home games.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't think he should have been given the job based on what he had done. There was always going to be bounce after Mourinho left, and he had an incredibly easy 5 game run at the beginning. They should have waited until the summer. If we finish 6th and get knocked out in the quarter finals of the Champions League does he honestly deserve the job?

Surely we would have got 6th with Mourinho. And in last few weeks the football has been just as bad as under Mourinho. We haven't had a shot at a keeper for 180 minutes in two home games.
Of course he deserves the job even if we finish 6th as it wasn't a level playing field. He started with -11 points.

Getting to QF itself is an achievement considering the gulf in quality between PSG and ManUtd.

Eriku

Liverpool
P17 W12 D4 L1 F40 A13 GD +27 = 40 points
Manchester City
P16 W13 D0 L3 F38 A12 GD +26 = 39 points
Manchester United
P16 W12 D2 L2 F34 A15 GD +19 = 38 points
Arsenal
P16 W10 D2 L4 F28 A17 GD +11 = 32 points
Chelsea
P17 W9 D2 L6 F21 A22 GD -1 = 29 points
Spurs
P16 W9 D1 L6 F31 A18 GD +13 = 28 points

16 games is a decent chunk of the season, so I think this mini league table deserves its own thread. Apart from the obvious (only team keeping pace with Liverpool/City in terms of points) our goals scored and goal difference also make pleasant reading. Which is even more impressive when you consider how atrocious these columns looked before December 21st.

So yeah, early days but - even if we ignore CL results - here's some solid evidence that Solskjaer is doing a flipping excellent job, despite not signing a single player. Which is not an impression you'd get from reading any of the threads which are supposed to be discussing how good a job he is doing.
Glad to see someone like you say it, Pogue. I agree Ole has worked wonders, and the recent stint hasn’t been devoid of positives in terms of our play and handle on the matches. I also think it’s not fair to judge him when he took over in the middle of the christmas rush, got no signings, and has had no pre-season. I am feeling really optimistic, myself :)

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Glad to see someone like you say it, Pogue. I agree Ole has worked wonders, and the recent stint hasn’t been devoid of positives in terms of our play and handle on the matches. I also think it’s not fair to judge him when he took over in the middle of the christmas rush, got no signings, and has had no pre-season. I am feeling really optimistic, myself :)
Not only that he lost Fellaini and had every midfielder get injured at once! He’s done a phenomenal job!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No one's forgotten the job he did up until the PSG game and up till that game we were top of this mini league table. Quite rightly though 2 wins in our last 6 games is all anyone should really be looking at now
The last line is daft.

Sarni

Not losing 4 games in 6 and playing terribly with no identity for weeks.
So you assume that a good manager would never ever go through a bad 3-week period?

Care to name a few managers who have never had any bad period in their careers?

Mcking

So you assume that a good manager would never ever go through a bad 3-week period?

Care to name a few managers who have never had any bad period in their careers?
Obviously teams do have periods where they struggle to get good results, but when the team has been playing like crap for about two months with next to no identity and organization on the pitch, then it's genuine cause for concern I would say.

Josep Dowling

Of course he deserves the job even if we finish 6th as it wasn't a level playing field. He started with -11 points.

Getting to QF itself is an achievement considering the gulf in quality between PSG and ManUtd.
League wise though like I said he had 5 very easy, winnable games at the beginning. The only big games he had in the league.

Liverpool H - 0-0, could have gone either way
Spurs A - 1-0, one shot and we scored, De Gea got man of the match, Spurs should have won
Arsenal A - 0-2, we were awful

We have Everton (A), City and Chelsea at home still to play. He could potentially end up with 1 unjust win and a home draw against the top 7 sides in the league.

I'm not saying he's done a bad job, not at all but if we lose all our big games to the end of the season I personally don't think he warrants the job.

shaky

League wise though like I said he had 5 very easy, winnable games at the beginning. The only big games he had in the league.

Spurs A - 1-0, one shot and we scored, De Gea got man of the match, Spurs should have won

We have Everton (A), City and Chelsea at home still to play. He could potentially end up with 1 win unjust win and a home draw against the top 7 sides in the league.

I'm not saying he's done a bad job, not at all but if we lose all our big games to the end of the season I personally don't think he warrants the job.
He could potentially lose every single game next season and get us relegated. Shocking stuff from future Ole.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

We have Everton (A), City and Chelsea at home still to play. He could potentially end up with 1 unjust win and a home draw against the top 7 sides in the league.

Arsenal away we created plenty of chances. If we were lucky to win vs spurs then we were unlucky to lose vs Arsenal.

It's better to check the points per game and where we stand compared to others.

bosnian_red

Well... back to back away LEAGUE games. In May 2009 we beat them in the CL and then in January 2010 we beat them in the Premier League. Both ended 3-1 at the Emirates.
Ah yeah true technically. Also last time before that was between 84/85 and 85/86 I think. It's still incredibly rare, for all our "dominance" over Arsenal, it's incredibly rare to win successive away games against big teams.

Ban

Nice, positive thread, a potential safe heaven.
Wont survive though.
You have people saying we should look at only last 6 games, games in the future and even that losing CL quarters would be an underachievement.
Oh and we had just one shot vs Spurs (which isn't true) and we should have lost. We'll tell you what, we should have won at Arsenal so there's that.

Canagel

What?
1. Vs Liverpool he had 6/7players missing and forced into 3 changes just before half time and still comfortably kept the leaders at bay.
2. Spurs game we had more than one shot. We had opportunities to extend our llead
3. We were not awful vs Arsenal but wasted cclear chances to score.

And you left out the FA Cup wins at Chelsea and Arsenal I see.

bosnian_red

You both know I said nothing of the sort but dont let that get in the way of your hysterics
You literally said we should be able to win away to Arsenal and wolves without saying they're tough games, seemingly ignoring that Arsenal at home is almost as hard as it gets in the premier league and Wolves have gotten results against pretty much every big team this season bar probably City?