Premier League to introduce head to head rule for the 2019/20 season

U99ted

Goal difference and goals scored still come first, so this is fine.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Goal difference and goals scored still come first, so this is fine.
Yea, this.

For a moment I was worried it was replacing goal difference and becoming like la Liga which would have been flat out dumb.

Havak

Pokemon master
Goal difference still comes first I see, which is a strange decision looking at other leagues, but I think there would be an outrage from most fans if it went straight to head-to-head being the first method if tie-break. I've always thought that it matters more about how you did against everyone, not the teams in question, so goal difference first is probably the best way.

Siorac

More or less an irrelevant change.
Yeah, when was the last time a neutral playoff game was used as a tiebreaker? Did that ever happen in Premier League history?

Basically something that was incredibly improbable to begin with has become a little less likely.

CallyRed

Most crosses into the penalty box should be the deal breaker.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not much news is it? When have we ever needed more than the first two hurdles of goal difference and number of goals scored?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why is goal difference better than a head to head record?
Two reasons:
1. It's a league, not a cup so it's important to give a high value to matches against the other 18 opponents instead of making it even more of a two horse race.
2. Goal difference encourages attacking play from the top sides. It's no good holding on to 1-0 leads if your opponent is smashing them in and essentially has an extra 0.1 points than you.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Two reasons:
1. It's a league, not a cup so it's important to give a high value to matches against the other 18 opponents instead of making it even more of a two horse race.
2. Goal difference encourages attacking play from the top sides. It's no good holding on to 1-0 leads if your opponent is smashing them in and essentially has an extra 0.1 points than you.
Devil's advocating...

1. Wouldn't a better metric be the amount of games won?

2. Goal difference encourages parking the bus from smaller sides, because they would rather take a 1-0 loss than a 6-3 scoreline. La Liga with it's goal difference method isn't more cynical than the Premier League (actually some people accuse small Spanish sides of not being "pragmatic")

mu4c_20le

I would rather it be ahead of goal difference for the simple fact that sometimes smaller teams can give up when they know they have no chance of a comeback, and end up shipping 5+ goals. The head to head makes more sense because they are big games, rather than awarding stat padding in already concluded matches.

Gopher Brown

All matches should be decided by the coin toss at the start. No need to sit through 90min of kicking the ball about.

In the event the coin lands in its side, the decider should be rock-paper-scissors between the managers.

Everyone gets to go home after 2 min.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It should be a game at Wembley to decide tied title winners, relegation and CL positions.

Think of the money people, think of the money

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
After yesterday, if teams are tied, they should introduce the super over.
Football had Golden Goal as an equivalent. Turned out a charm.

In all seriousness, the actual post reads that H2H will be considered AFTER points, GD and goals scored are tied which is a very rare situation to happen in real life.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
All matches should be decided by the coin toss at the start. No need to sit through 90min of kicking the ball about.

In the event the coin lands in its side, the decider should be rock-paper-scissors between the managers.

Everyone gets to go home after 2 min.
Cheers, you must be a gambler.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Surprises me that they would actually rule out a head-to-head given that the PL love money. 39th game was definitely Scudamore's wet dream before he moved on.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Maybe the thread title should be clarified, I thought at first it now had replaced goal differences as a deciding factor like in Spain.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Why is goal difference better than a head to head record?
Goal difference being the first decider keeps smaller teams motivated when they go behind to one of the big boys.

In La Liga for example where they use head to head, so many sides just switch off and roll over once they go 2-0 down against Madrid and Barcelona and it ruins the spectacle as it goes to 3, 4, 5-0.

And at the top end it also leaves open more possibilities for longer into the season. Say if Man City and Liverpool have already played each other twice by the middle of February and Man City have won the H2H then you potentially lose some suspense towards the last five or 6 games compared to if they were simply two points ahead Liverpool could still be just within one Man City draw of overtaking them depending on GD. If if was on H2H in the same scenario then City would know they could afford a draw and still have it all in their own hands.