Premier League wants Brexit exemption amid fears next N'Golo Kante would be denied work permit

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It would have stopped them from being signed as very young players. There's still every chance they could have been signed once they were established.
What B20 says
Neither Ferguson nor Wenger would have shelled out once that happened. See Hazard, etc.
And yes premier League clubs could still get them once established, but for a pretty penny extra.

Last edited:

RoyH1

The PL is a big industry and excellent PR for Britain. I seriously doubt that even in a case of a hard Brexit, the British government wouldn't introduce some sort of legislation that would allow highly skilled specialized labour to come into the country. I can see some kind of quota system happening in which clubs were allowed a certain number of both EU and non EU players.

Having said that, as an English club you better have been working hard to improve your youth setup. The premium on english players will only rise with the uncertainties that surround Brexit.

Blackice64

Like someone who lives in Europe said, Brexit isn't a buffet. You are out you are out.. you can't take the best bits of Europe you like and discard the parts you don't like. Britain is a tiny island, we shouldn't be trying to bully the massive professional EU in to giving us a deal no other country has it is very arrogant of us. The people voted out for better or worse, so get us out - we have to live with the consequences like the last time we voted to join the EU and who knows things might turn out better quality of life for Brits nobody has a crystal ball. Simple as that.

We don't want a crappy young Ronaldo anyway in England, we want the finished product like Spain got for his best years.. we don't wanna be used a farm house anymore or stepping stone to Spain. Things are gonna be changing.

Big business is trying to bully us into staying connected to the EU so they can continue to exploit young Polish workers, it is evil.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We don't want a crappy young Ronaldo anyway in England, we want the finished product like Spain got for his best years.. we don't wanna be used a farm house anymore or stepping stone to Spain. Things are gonna be changing.

Big business is trying to bully us into staying connected to the EU so they can continue to exploit young Polish workers, it is evil.
Denald or Donald?

Classical Mechanic

Like someone who lives in Europe said, Brexit isn't a buffet. You are out you are out.. .
The whole point of leaving the EU is to have more control over legislation, in this case immigration legislation. As such the UK is free to decide who is granted work visas. It would be perfectly logical under a points based type system to allow high tax paying professionals that add value to a crown jewel industry easy work permits.

Personally I would like to see measures taken place to help the development of domestic football talent but I expect we will see something like I described happen.

Only for premiership proven players. The only time he went big on an established star outside the prem was Veron.
Regardless of what happened in the past, or imagining what might have happened in the past if x,y or z were different, lets just accept the principal that established talent would still be ale to come to the PL straight after Brexit in the case of no deal?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
This is just propaganda / corporate lobbying via the BBC by the league.

No one, not even the Government know what Brexit is or what the rules will be on immigration will be. The current plan seems to essentially be to force the status quo. Watch PMQs yesterday if you want a good laugh... For all the premier league know clubs could get free reign to sign anyone from anywhere. Even if that wasn't the case it could always be changed..

What the premier league (and BBC?) should be more concerned about is the potentially swingeing tax rates and regulations that might be applied on the sport by the likely next government.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Regardless of what happened in the past, or imagining what might have happened in the past if x,y or z were different, lets just accept the principal that established talent would still be ale to come to the PL straight after Brexit in the case of no deal?
Sure

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Like someone who lives in Europe said, Brexit isn't a buffet. You are out you are out.. you can't take the best bits of Europe you like and discard the parts you don't like. Britain is a tiny island, we shouldn't be trying to bully the massive professional EU in to giving us a deal no other country has it is very arrogant of us. The people voted out for better or worse, so get us out - we have to live with the consequences like the last time we voted to join the EU and who knows things might turn out better quality of life for Brits nobody has a crystal ball. Simple as that.

Speak for yourself pal, I think most of us enjoyed seeing the young ronaldo mature alongside the young Rooney. Europe complimenting England’s best

lysglimt

Scout
Also, once interest in the premier league drops due to the drop in quality, this will also stabilise the economic inequality of the premiership vs the rest of Europe.

It's a win-win situation really.
Oh yes -I long for the time when i was watching Nicky Tanner, Jason Cundy, Richard Rufus etc

lysglimt

Scout
:lol: What a disaster of a post, I bet you voted for Brexit, right? If low-skilled immigrant workers and low-skilled immigrant footballers come here and "steal your jobs", don't you think it's because they are better at it? Or do you think clubs like so sign foreign players only because they hate English ones?
The way I see it - if non-skilled africans or asians come and steel their jobs and women - how f useless were they from the start :)

crossy1686

career ending
Doesn't have to be "All-British" League nobody has said that. Stop accusing of every Brexit voter of not wanting ANY immigration.. it's racism in-reverse. We just want things fairer.

The best players can still live and work in England, but it would mean the rift-raft of expensive foreign imports that are no better than our own British lads will stop. Win-win really is like the poster above said, it is better for smaller European leagues too.

It's the low-skilled immigrant workers and low-skilled immigrant footballers that Brexit should (if done properly) stop, and that means better and fairer for all Brits which is what we should care about.
Wow.

I'd prefer fairer rights for low skilled immigrant workers than thinly guised racism any day. Don't try and include us in your narrow mindedness either, this isn't 'us vs them'.

Blackice64

Speak for yourself pal, I think most of us enjoyed seeing the young ronaldo mature alongside the young Rooney. Europe complimenting England’s best
United was at our best when we had a strong British score.

We've overspent too much on foreign import junk the last few years spunking 100s of millions that have flopped. Let's sign the best of British again ala Rio Ferdinand etc

Let's get our British identity and spine to the team back and we might start to be successful again. Not rocket science.. football is a simple game as Cloughy use to say..

Invest in British lads in our academies.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Btw how much impact this will have on coaches and managers?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
With the best will in the World, England were fortunate with their draw to get to the semi-finals. They played one live dog twice in Belgium and lost. And you go on about correlation and causation?!?!
Sigh. I simply provided a counter example. You made the assertion that less foreigners = better national team. I never said more foreigners = better national team. The onus is on you to prove that's the case not me.

I wasn't saying that it was the reason that Italy have declined, merely pointing out that a lot of people think that it plays a big part. This includes people that played for game at the highest level and managed at the highest level. People that have been developed as footballers and developed countless other footballers.
1) I'm giving you examples that would have a greater effect on Italian football than allowing more foreigners
2) Your 2nd and 3rd sentences are appeals to authority and logical fallacies. Just b/c certain people say so doesn't make it true.

You have provided no evidence to support your argument either, just ideas that you have by the same token as me. And all this against the structural mess that modern football is, so your dogmatic position confuses me somewhat.
I didn't produce an ideas nor a counter argument (I never said more foreigners = a better national team), but I've only addressed your claims that less foreigners are good for English football/national team. If you can point out any inconsistencies in what I'm saying then that's fine, otherwise I'm not really up for a pointless battle of wits. If you don't care about the counter examples and points I've made and simply want to hold steadfast to your point of view, I can't fault you for that and a simple "You aren't going to change my mind. Let's leave it at that" would suffice.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

We've overspent too much on foreign import junk the last few years spunking 100s of millions that have flopped. Let's sign the best of British again ala Rio Ferdinand etc

Let's get our British identity and spine to the team back and we might start to be successful again. Not rocket science.. football is a simple game as Cloughy use to say..

Invest in the best - where they come from is irrelevant at that age

You say sign the best of British - so after you’ve spunked £200m on Kane and Maguire who is left?

MrPooni

Doesn't have to be "All-British" League nobody has said that. Stop accusing of every Brexit voter of not wanting ANY immigration.. it's racism in-reverse. We just want things fairer.

The best players can still live and work in England, but it would mean the rift-raft of expensive foreign imports that are no better than our own British lads will stop. Win-win really is like the poster above said, it is better for smaller European leagues too.

It's the low-skilled immigrant workers and low-skilled immigrant footballers that Brexit should (if done properly) stop, and that means better and fairer for all Brits which is what we should care about.
FFS. :lol:

KomodoBadger

Exactly.

Full English please.

This could mean more British lads getting a chance.. (where as they normally wouldn't think of lads like Morrison etc) The Premier League has too many foreigners in! it's hurting our national teams TBH, as good as the product is to watch.

Instead of seeing Brexit as this big negative.. let's give it a chance and see it as an opportunity to make things better, and fairer, across the board.
Oh you bigot.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Ronaldo as a finished product wouldn't have come to England at all but would've instead made his move to Madrid earlier. Shrewd clubs undoubtedly benefit more from snapping up young talents at a cheaper price instead of having to break transfer records for them once they've hit their prime.

Josep Dowling

Whilst I would like more English players at United and in the Premier League in general, would the England team really win the Premier League?

I think only Kane, Alli are Trippier and good enough to be at United. All 3 play for Spurs and are unlikely to move.

Carolina Red

Staff
He's a proud Englishman nonetheless.

His point is (I think) giving indigenous academy players a better chance regardless of what heritage they might have.

Some articles in the papers about the same subject.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45437421
I know that he’s an Englishman.

The next Rio though might not be because Brexit didn’t let his parents into the country.

So yeah, I’m still laughing.

Josep Dowling

I am. I can’t wait to see where this goes...
Haha, no I was just thinking the US has quite strict Visa policies these days. Seems odd to criticise the UK wanting control of immigration when your country has strict rules already in place. But then you may disagree with your own countries policy on immigration?

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City

I like this part from the FA technical director:
It's a case of how do we adapt the current regulations around that when the entire world becomes a market place because what we don't want to do is stifle what's been happening in terms of European qualified players but at the same time by going worldwide, it's going to be a massive market so we need to have regulations around the endorsement that mean we can protect our pool of talent that are homegrown.”

Big opportunities for the Premier League in having a more relaxed, blanket immigration policy rather than an open door for EU players versus a semi-open one for non-EU players. These opportunities include increasing commercial foothold in the faster growing non-European markets by increasing the influx of their players and the networking this will support, as well as simply deflating transfer costs through buying clubs being able to cast their nets wider and with more creativity than predominantly focusing their lens on the wealthier European clubs.

At the same time lower to midtable clubs will be protected from themselves as lower-end quick fix EU solutions are less available and therefore turning towards more talented but rawer homegrown youngsters becomes the most viable solution to filling a position; essentially increasing the short-term risk of relegation by a few percent but also increasing the long-term benefits to the club by their developing a player with far better resale value.

Premier League clubs competing in Europe are unlikely to be negatively effected because they don't target EU players that wouldn't gain work permits even under the current criteria for non-EU permits; indeed the valuations placed on homegrown players needed for quotas may decrease due to the above as the supply from lower clubs increases.