Premier League wants Brexit exemption amid fears next N'Golo Kante would be denied work permit

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ants-brexit-exemption-fears-next-ngolo-kante/

The Premier League is urging the government to abolish all restrictions on signing foreign players because it fears Brexit will harm the league’s competitiveness and global popularity.

The league is becoming concerned that with just over six months to go until the UK leaves the European Union it is still waiting for clarification on a number of key issues, including whether there will be dramatic restrictions on clubs’ ability to sign European players after Brexit, and the possibility of new quotas mandating the selection of more homegrown players.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
There needs to be some give and take. Not having to give EU players automatic permits could allow us to branch out more to South America and get a better hold of their less saturated market.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...a-extra-leverage-premier-league-help-england/ is worrying. What good does raising the 8 player HG quota do asides from ensure more Oxlade-Chamberlains and Barkleys forced to sit on the bench? Much better to reward clubs for giving actual game time to HG players without forcing them to.

Edit: Brexit is still stupid however

Last edited:

automaticflare

Can’t have it both ways

Brexit played on the dumb white racist crowd and the strangely fanaticals much like trump did in the US

Trump should be in jail by now
Brexit is a disaster for the uk

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
For every Kante that’s unearthed another ten or maybe even twenty supposedly next best things imported from Europe turn out to be total flops.
There are rules already in place that control players coming into the U.K. from all bar around 30 of the 212 FIFA affiliated countries and although not perfect the work permit system is designed to stop clubs signing the same sort of dross that some lower end clubs both in the PL and indeed down through the leagues even sadly at non league level, tend to sign from EU countries.
I am not going to get into the whole Brexit debate but for me the ability to apply consistency in terms of non HG players being imported is a good thing and quite possibly will give opportunities to HG players who are often overlooked

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Can’t have it both ways

Brexit played on the dumb white racist crowd and the strangely fanaticals much like trump did in the US

:confused:

Its not the Premier League wanting it both ways. As for Brexit: They absolutely can create exemptions if they so desire, that was kind of the point in Brexit, that they werent being dictated to by a foreign power.

Blackice64

brexit means brexit
Exactly.

Full English please.

This could mean more British lads getting a chance.. (where as they normally wouldn't think of lads like Morrison etc) The Premier League has too many foreigners in! it's hurting our national teams TBH, as good as the product is to watch.

Instead of seeing Brexit as this big negative.. let's give it a chance and see it as an opportunity to make things better, and fairer, across the board.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Exactly.

Full English please.

This could mean more British lads getting a chance.. (where as they normally wouldn't think of lads like Morrison etc) The Premier League has too many foreigners in! it's hurting our national teams TBH, as good as the product is to watch.

Instead of seeing Brexit as this big negative.. let's give it a chance and see it as an opportunity to make things better, and fairer, across the board.
No sarcasm? White text?

I guess you're right. I can't wait to flog Salah & trying our best to repel transfer interest for Danny Ings from Man City.

(International football is kinda unimportant to me, and there's absolutely no way I'd want to sacrifice 2 years of proper high quality football for a false sense of patriotism).

WensleyMU

Can’t have it both ways

Its kind of ironic, from both perspectives to call people who voted leave racist, when in reality, they've likely voted to inrease non EU immigration, while remain voters voted to maintain the largely white immigration of the EU.

As for signing players, there have always been complaints whenever something is subject to possible change. In the end, it's always overcome. Happened with the bosman ruling, happened with the old HG quotas. Players are brought in from around the world every year and that will continue.

Also... Why would Liverpool need to sell Mo Salah exactly? Makes about as much sense as a Gerrard interview...

Also, isn't this just the league attempting to get rid of the restrictions in general? It probably has nothing to do with Brexit. It's just a convenient excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Exactly.

Full English please.

This is biting sarcasm, surely?

Trizy

I never understood why the English government refuses work permits for footballers. One good footballer in the PL would pay MILLIONS in tax throughout their time here.

Classical Mechanic

No sarcasm? White text?

I guess you're right. I can't wait to flog Salah & trying our best to repel transfer interest for Danny Ings from Man City.

(International football is kinda unimportant to me, and there's absolutely no way I'd want to sacrifice 2 years of proper high quality football for a false sense of patriotism).
This is biting sarcasm, surely?
Don't see anything wrong with what he said. It will help lesser leagues like France, Holland and Portugal grow too as there will be less plundering of their assets.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I never understood why the English government refuses work permits for footballers. One good footballer in the PL would pay MILLIONS in tax throughout their time here.
Yea I never really understood how you can not give a work permit to someone wanted by one of the top 20 teams in the country and some of the top teams in the world.

Do PWC get turned down work permits for accountants because they aren't ranked high enough in the international accounting rankings?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Also, once interest in the premier league drops due to the drop in quality, this will also stabilise the economic inequality of the premiership vs the rest of Europe.

It's a win-win situation really.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Don't see anything wrong with what he said. It will help lesser leagues like France, Holland and Portugal grow too as there will be less plundering of their assets.
Also, once interest in the premier league drops due to the drop in quality, this will also stabilise the economic inequality of the premiership vs the rest of Europe.

At the cost of quality in the Premier league...

That's why I'm not really interested. I know it's selfish, but I don't really care about smaller leagues, the imbalance in finances, or any of that stuff. I just want to see the highest quality football possible, and that isn't an all-British (or anything close to an all-British) Premier League.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There needs to be some give and take. Not having to give EU players automatic permits could allow us to branch out more to South America and get a better hold of their less saturated market.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...a-extra-leverage-premier-league-help-england/ is worrying. What good does raising the 8 player HG quota do asides from ensure more Oxlade-Chamberlains and Barkleys forced to sit on the bench? Much better to reward clubs for giving actual game time to HG players without forcing them to.
Do you genuinely believe this? Do you believe that at the home office, they deny work permits to South American football players because of immigration from the EU as a whole and indeed just EU footballers?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

:lol::lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No sarcasm? White text?

This. Anyone who’s prepared to see the quality of players on the pitch dramatically decrease just because ‘brexit’ is mad in the head.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This. Anyone who’s prepared to see the quality of players on the pitch dramatically decrease just because ‘brexit’ is mad in the head.
Some people are prepared to see the economy get worse to take back control. I think the quality of players on the pitch would be low down their priorities in fairness.

golden_blunder

Staff
Just speculating here but it could mean that British clubs will no longer be able to take a punt on young unknown players as it’ll be harder to get work permits. This, we’ll continue to see PL clubs paying silly money for players who are established

golden_blunder

Staff
Some people are prepared to see the economy get worse to take back control. I think the quality of players on the pitch would be low down their priorities in fairness.
I know but there will still be a number of brexit voters who will moan about the amount of mark nobles playing

They have already extended the deadline to 2021 to sort this out, so nothing will change until then at the earliest.

In all likelihood very little will change as far as the free movement of people goes. The UK needs immigrant workers and the EU needs it's citizens to stay in the UK.

Lj82

Do you genuinely believe this? Do you believe that at the home office, they deny work permits to South American football players because of immigration from the EU as a whole and indeed just EU footballers?
My impression is that the British criteria for work permit for non-EU players is a lot s tricter than other EU countries. Hence clubs like Utd, Chelsea etc signed deals with clubs in Portugual, Netherlands etc to loan them non-EU players who could get a work permit in these countries but not in England.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Good news. For every Kante there are hard working local lads like Cattermole and Noble being totally neglected by the top clubs.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
My impression is that the British criteria for work permit for non-EU players is a lot s tricter than other EU countries. Hence clubs like Utd, Chelsea etc signed deals with clubs in Portugual, Netherlands etc to loan them non-EU players who could get a work permit in these countries but not in England.
It is much more strict. Endless wheelies was suggesting that part of the reason for this was EU immigration and once we no longer have that, we'll be able to allow more South Americans in. As if the generally hostile migration environment currently set by the government is because of the EU and if only we quit, we'll be signing so many more Brazilians and Argentinians directly now.

Lj82

It is much more strict. Endless wheelies was suggesting that part of the reason for this was EU immigration and once we no longer have that, we'll be able to allow more South Americans in. As if the generally hostile migration environment currently set by the government is because of the EU and if only we quit, we'll be signing so many more Brazilians and Argentinians directly now.
Yup I agree with what you are saying.
This is such a strange argument.

Classical Mechanic

Just speculating here but it could mean that British clubs will no longer be able to take a punt on young unknown players as it’ll be harder to get work permits. This, we’ll continue to see PL clubs paying silly money for players who are established
It wouldn't reduce dramatically anyway. There are special talents exemptions for the top players, measured through international caps I think. It would make it harder to sign European youngsters and mediocre crap relatively cheap. Clubs will have more impetus to develop their own players whilst other European sides from weaker leagues get to keep more of their talented youth players.

In all likelihood very little will change
Unfortunately this will be the likely outcome.

Blackice64

At the cost of quality in the Premier league...

That's why I'm not really interested. I know it's selfish, but I don't really care about smaller leagues, the imbalance in finances, or any of that stuff. I just want to see the highest quality football possible, and that isn't an all-British (or anything close to an all-British) Premier League.
Doesn't have to be "All-British" League nobody has said that. Stop accusing of every Brexit voter of not wanting ANY immigration.. it's racism in-reverse. We just want things fairer.

The best players can still live and work in England, but it would mean the rift-raft of expensive foreign imports that are no better than our own British lads will stop. Win-win really is like the poster above said, it is better for smaller European leagues too.

It's the low-skilled immigrant workers and low-skilled immigrant footballers that Brexit should (if done properly) stop, and that means better and fairer for all Brits which is what we should care about.

Last edited:

Blackice64

Good news. For every Kante there are hard working local lads like Cattermole and Noble being totally neglected by the top clubs.
Or a Jamie Vardy ripped and ready to be plucked from the lower leagues if given more of a chance that Brexit will bring.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Doesn't have to be "All-British" League nobody has said that. Stop accusing of every Brexit voter of not wanting ANY immigration.. it's racism in-reverse. We just want things fairer.

The best players can still live and work in England, but it would mean the rift-raft of expensive foreign imports that are no better than our own British lads will stop. Win-win really is like the poster above said, it is better for smaller European leagues too.

It's the low-skilled immigrant workers and low-skilled immigrant footballers that Brexit should (if done properly) stop, and that means better and fairer for all Brits which is what we should care about.
Oh my...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Kante and Mahrez fall into "low skilled immigrant footballers" and both of them are very good footballers now. Coutinho too falls under low skilled immigrant footballer considering his stint at Inter.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The idea of a "low skilled" professional footballer is pretty ridiculous. The worst professional footballer in the Premier League is more skilled than 99.999% of the population.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

NO SUCH THING

vangagal

You brexiter are proven liar straight away by your own words. How about look at gem by yourself a bit earlier :

Exactly.

Full English please.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The idea of a "low skilled" professional footballer is pretty ridiculous. The worst professional footballer in the Premier League is more skilled than 99.999% of the population.
And 99% better than the professional footballer population.

Classical Mechanic

Kante and Mahrez fall into "low skilled immigrant footballers" and both of them are very good footballers now. Coutinho too falls under low skilled immigrant footballer considering his stint at Inter.
Pretty sure this is talking about when they were initially signed by English clubs because neither were internationals then? (can't read the article). As far as I'm aware it would be possible to sign them once they are international players with over 10 caps (I think).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pretty sure this is talking about when they were initially signed by English clubs because neither were internationals then? (can't read the article). As far as I'm aware it would be possible to sign them once they are international players with over 10 caps (I think).
Well that's what I'm saying. Kante and Mahrez wouldn't have got work permit as they are "low skilled immigrant footballers" and these 2 players are the big reason why Leicester won the PL title.

So its not possible to sign players like Kante, Mahrez, Coutinho as they didn't have required number of caps. I might be wrong, maybe same with Ronaldo too.

dove

:lol: What a disaster of a post, I bet you voted for Brexit, right? If low-skilled immigrant workers and low-skilled immigrant footballers come here and "steal your jobs", don't you think it's because they are better at it? Or do you think clubs like so sign foreign players only because they hate English ones?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There's a reason why 'low-skilled immigrant workers' were so often welcomed here: they were ripe for exploitation by disgraceful, law-breaking bosses. From my own experience, I've seen foreign workers pressurised to work another 16-hour shift straight after completing an 8-hour one...and at no overtime rate.