Preseason Tour Game 4: Man Utd v Liverpool (ICC, Saturday 28th July 22:05 BST)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Preseason schedule (all times BST (GMT+1)):

Squad:

GK: De Gea, Romero, J Pereira, Lee Grant
DF: Valencia, Darmian, Diogo Dalot, Shaw, Smalling, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Mitchell, Williams
MF: Fred, Matic, Ander Herrera, Pereira, McTominay, Garner, Hamilton
FW: Mata, Martial, Sanchez, Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Bohui
  • Dalot, Romero and Valencia injured
  • Martial left on Wednesday due to his partner giving birth
  • De Gea, Fred and Matic to be with the squad
Preseason results of United and Liverpool so far:
20/07: Man Utd 1:1 Club America
22/07: Man Utd 0:0 San Jose Earthquakes

26/07: Milan 1:1 Man Utd (Utd win 9:8 on penalties)

07/07: Chester 0:7 Liverpool
10/07: Tranmere Rovers 2:3 Liverpool

14/07: Bury 0:0 Liverpool
19/07: Blackburn Rovers 0:2 Liverpool
22/07: Liverpool 1:3 Borussia Dortmund
26/07: Man City 1:2 Liverpool

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The meltdown on here if we lose will be hilarious.

Especially given they have far more first team players available than us and have played more games and so really should win.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Liverpool have almost whole team available and also way ahead in their preparations.

We are still missing lot of players and also available players haven't even played a game. So this might be easy Liverpool win.

Don't care about the result as long as we are getting ready for start of the season with good performances against good teams.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Liverpool will be able to field a side something like:

Karius

Clyne Gomez van Dijk Robertson
Wijnaldum Fabinho Keita
Salah Sturridge Mane​

So I'll be surprised if they don't win with their fitness levels too. Think Alisson and Firmino might have a chance of playing for them, like Fred for us but for all three it is likelier they play in the game after.

Like you say @roonster09 I'm not too bothered as long as the performance is good.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

We usually do well against attacking teams like Liverpool, makes it easier to counter-attack. But yeah, the result isn't too important, although it's always nice to win against them :devil:

Hopefully Matic will get some minutes, and maybe even Fred.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Liverpool have almost whole team available and also way ahead in their preparations.

We are still missing lot of players and also available players haven't even played a game. So this might be easy Liverpool win.

Don't care about the result as long as we are getting ready for start of the season with good performances against good teams.
Liverpool will be able to field a side something like:

Karius

Clyne Gomez van Dijk Robertson
Wijnaldum Fabinho Keita
Salah Sturridge Mane​

So I'll be surprised if they don't win with their fitness levels too. Think Alisson and Firmino might have a chance of playing for them, like Fred for us but for all three it is likelier they play in the game after.

Like you say @roonster09 I'm not too bothered as long as the performance is good.
You actually think that's possible? We lose the game but with a performance good enough to ease the sting of defeat? Can you remember the last time that happened? I certainly can't.

And we're playing Liverpool. The team where defeat hurts the most of all. I'm almost certain this game (and the aftermath on here) is going to be beyond grim.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It will be funny when we beat them with our B team.
1-0 United I reckon/hope

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The meltdown on here if we lose will be hilarious.

Especially given they have far more first team players available than us and have played more games and so really should win.
Just sounds like you're trying to get your excuses in

roonster09

Scout
You actually think that's possible? We lose the game but with a performance good enough to ease the sting of defeat? Can you remember the last time that happened? I certainly can't.

And we're playing Liverpool. The team where defeat hurts the most of all. I'm almost certain this game (and the aftermath on here) is going to be beyond grim.
I don't remember when it happened, but since it's a preseason I'm hoping for good performance to set us in right direction for start of season.

Btw, when was the last time we played well and lost?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don't remember when it happened, but since it's a preseason I'm hoping for good performance to set us in right direction for start of season.

Btw, when was the last time we played well and lost?
I can't remember. Which was my point!

Actually, there was that FA Cup final against Arsenal we lost on penalties, 13 years ago. We definitely played well in that defeat.

If we lose, then 9 times out of 10 (99 times out of 100?) then it will be because we didn't play well. So the idea that we go into this game as fans being ok with losing, so long as we play well, is more or less completely fanciful. It's not going to happen.

roonster09

Scout
I can't remember. Which was my point!

Actually, there was that FA Cup final against Arsenal we lost on penalties, 13 years ago. We definitely played well in that defeat.

If we lose, then 9 times out of 10 (99 times out of 100?) then it will be because we didn't play well. So the idea that we go into this game as fans being ok with losing, so long as we play well, is more or less completely fanciful. It's not going to happen.
If it's a regular game then yes, results > anything but this is preseason game and we should be experimenting different tactics and concentrate on performance. If we are so worried about losing even a friendly game vs Liverpool/City then we shouldn't agree to any friendlies against them. Preparation for the season is very important.

Btw if we park the bus, we can call it as preparation too, against strong teams. :keano:

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Its a pre-season friendly, who gives a feck.
I've never understood this view point.

Generally speaking, good pre-seasons tend to lead to good seasons. Bad pre-seasons tend to lead to bad seasons.

No it's not the be all and end all, but you still want to see a good performance and a good result. Otherwise, what's the point?

Canagel

The result is not so important. What's important is the performance. I hope to see more positive things and more improvement in our collective game. That's it. Can we at least see Fred in this game or is it too early still?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
The result is not so important. What's important is the performance. I hope to see more positive things and more improvement in our collective game. That's it. Can we at least see Fred in this game or is it too early still?
Surely the result is important. If we lose it means somethings gone wrong at the back, or we're not doing enough going forward. The result is a part of the performance.

Canagel

Surely the result is important. If we lose it means somethings gone wrong at the back, or we're not doing enough going forward. The result is a part of the performance.
Yes but against a full strength Liverpool I doubt anyone will be expecting to win. If we lose which is very likely then at least play well and give a positive showing. You can play well and still lose.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13

This is 100% what Jose will say before the game.

red thru&thru

Our "A" team just about play decent against Lfc, so what are people expecting from our B team? A team that will not be playing together come September.

Judas

Open to offers
Hope we park the bus. We can't afford to lose this simple as that really, our season hangs in the balance. Can't remember the last time such an important game was played in July. Absolutely bricking it. white text.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Generally speaking, good pre-seasons tend to lead to good seasons. Bad pre-seasons tend to lead to bad seasons.

No it's not the be all and end all, but you still want to see a good performance and a good result. Otherwise, what's the point?
Really? I'm not sure that's true. Some of the best seasons I can remember came after average/bad pre-seasons and the best pre-season I can remember in a long, long time came before Van Gaal's first season in charge. Can you remember any specific good pre-seasons followed by a good season?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'm pretty sure Firmino and Alisson are both on their holidays still, so I expect Karius to start in goal and one of Sturridge or Solanke to start up top.

It'd be good to see Shaqiri get a run out and Keita too if he's fit (he missed the City game with a minor neck injury).

breakout67

Supports
Man City

Everything youve said here is completely wrong. Good pre seasons do not generally lead to good seasons, there is virtually no connection.

The point of pre season is:

- gaining fitness
- giving foreign fans a chance to watch us live for financial and marketing reasons

The fact that a large amount of teams go to China or the USA and play random teams is evidence that it is meaningless. The only meaningful game is the last one, which is basically a training session for the first game of the season and is usually in Europe and matches match day conditions much more closely.

BristolRuss

Matic has picked up an injury and won't play in this game. Unsure how long he will be out for. Valencia has come home from the tour because of his injury and Jose has said he will miss the start of the season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Matic has picked up an injury and won't play in this game. Unsure how long he will be out for. Valencia has come home from the tour because of his injury and Jose has said he will miss the start of the season.
Sounds like your squad will be pretty limited for the start of the season?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Excited for this - anybody up for a Caf tailgate in Ann Arbor? Don't all raise your hands at once...

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Really? I'm not sure that's true. Some of the best seasons I can remember came after average/bad pre-seasons and the best pre-season I can remember in a long, long time came before Van Gaal's first season in charge. Can you remember any specific good pre-seasons followed by a good season?
Perhaps lead to isn't the best phrase, more like an indicator of how the season will go. Moyes preseason was shit, our season was shit. As you just said van gaals first pre season was good, and it was good season for us in the end.

Liverpool when they finished 7th in 09/10 had a shit preseason, and 10/11 actually.

Bit more recent, Chelsea 15/16 had an average preseason. They lost two games and won two games on pens, so we're drawing at 90mins. They finished 10th that season.

City last seasons got 3 wins (including wins against Spurs and Madrid), and lost 1, against united.

Again perhaps leads to isn't the best term for what I mean. But I certainly think how teams play and the results they're getting are a good indicator for the type of season they'll have.
Everything youve said here is completely wrong. Good pre seasons do not generally lead to good seasons, there is virtually no connection.

- gaining fitness
- giving foreign fans a chance to watch us live for financial and marketing reasons

The fact that a large amount of teams go to China or the USA and play random teams is evidence that it is meaningless. The only meaningful game is the last one, which is basically a training session for the first game of the season and is usually in Europe and matches match day conditions much more closely.
I mean, it's not all completely wrong. This traveling the world for preseason games to certain types of markets is fairly new thing. I suspect preseason in the 80s didn't have teams travelling to China/usa every year to simply give foreign fans a chance to watch united but hey could be wrong.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Matic, Pogba, Fred, Rashford, De Gea, Lukaku all still to come back and come into the first 11 while Liverpool have one/two players that need to join up with them so I think its safe to say who has the stronger team at this point in time.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I mean, it's not all completely wrong. This traveling the world for preseason games to certain types of markets is fairly new thing. I suspect preseason in the 80s didn't have teams travelling to China/usa every year to simply give foreign fans a chance to watch united but hey could be wrong.
You are right that pre season used to be an indicator. But it isn't anymore. Managers regularly bring up how pre-season is a bit inconvenient due to the travelling and changes in playing conditions.

The fixture schedule makes it impossible to take most pre-season games seriously, they happen far too quickly which forces the players to turn them into training sessions.

SirAF

Ageist

- gaining fitness

This.

Also, Liverpool have played six matches already? Jaysus.

RedDevil@84

Anyone in/around Ann Arbor knows if fans could watch player training on Friday or something

promisedlanchiao

Yes but against a full strength Liverpool I doubt anyone will be expecting to win. If we lose which is very likely then at least play well and give a positive showing. You can play well and still lose.
I want to play well and win even if its just pre-season.

1) this is pool. scouse cnuts.
2) by playing well and losing there will then be an inquest into our attackers, as playing well means creating chances and against karius especially we should be scoring most of our chances.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Going to be going to this:) Shame about how many players would be missing but this was known. Mourinho said Matic picked up a knock so he's probably out too. Fred isn't even with them yet so not a chance he plays. Same with De Gea IMO.
Not expecting much, though United have a perfect record for pre-season games when I've been in attendance over the last 10 years or so (including beating Barcelona in 2011 and Real Madrid in 2014) so who knows!
Probably pretty similar lineup to the Mulan game. Maybe Tuanzebe out for a more attacking player to make it a back 4 and put a winger in.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I would expect the scousers to win this when you consider the team they have out there compared to ours. I also think they've played more games so are further along?

Just no injuries, a good run out and a chance to see some of the youngsters. Would be happy with that. If we can win then awesome. I know it's only pre season but beating the scousers at anything, regardless of the scenario, is always a pleasure.

gr3yham3

Hopefully Matic will play some part of the game. Also, Fred has arrived in the States.