Preseason Tour Game 4: Man Utd v Liverpool (ICC, Saturday 28th July 22:05 BST)

Irrational.

City are currently 2-0 down Vs Bayern.
Arsenal beat PSG 5-1

I don't understand the outrage over a friendly. Other than the fact we lost to Liverpool. Anomalous results can happen in a pre-season game. Will mean jack shit if we start the season running once the rest of the big guns are back +/- a couple of first team signings.

littlepeasoup

Couldn't give a t*ss about the performance or the result in what amounts to a glorified open training match. Only thing I'm really worried about is that our top players will have very little game time to get properly match fit before the start of the season,

Chairman Steve

On a separate note, can we go back to doing summer tours of the Far East and whatnot? Or is this ICC hype machine throwing such ridiculous money at us that we’d be stupid to turn it down?

I’d rather us go out to Japan and run through the local team cannon fodder and get everyone confident and on some semblance of momentum, rather than play our European and Domestic rivals in friendlies because people lose their shit if we don’t win them (or get carried away if we do) as they use it as a barometer for the upcoming season.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Well, I don't get that people who vent their frustrations about the football on show get jumped by posters that only clap and cheer on their team, even when on the internet and losing a game by 4-1.

Are you always happy with every match?
Vato its a fecking pre season game mate, we have to put up with this reactionary shite throughout the season. These are supposedly decently intelligent people as in they can type words on a screen so surely they can see we barely had one or maybe two starters in that team and most of our first team still arent back yet. Theres a time for letting people whinge and theres a time for calling out bullshit.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well, I don't get that people who vent their frustrations about the football on show get jumped by posters that only clap and cheer on their team, even when on the internet and losing a game by 4-1.

You totally miss the point don't you?

jesperjaap

OK mate. Look forward to Pereira being a shining light in our season. Someone linked me to montage of Andreas from the friendly the other day and neither of us could decide whether it a parody or not. We’ve been devoid of midfield passing for so long that people are creaming themselves over anyway just knocking a pass somewhat forward, regardless of whether pass is well weighted, whether it actually arrives in the right place for the receiver to continue the momentum of the attack.

Genuinely, if we have a strong start to the season and start well in the league and Europe, feel free to come and give me all the shit you want. I’m not so arsed about the results in pre-season, but we are entering the manager’s third season and we are completely incoherent as a side. I have no idea whatsoever what Mourinho wants to do at United and I say that as someone who admired him for years and always wanted him post-Ferguson. All of the other top sides, I can tell you their strategy. I have no idea what ours is. We are mediocre defensively and bailed out by a top shot stopper. In attack, we have not shown any coherent gameplan for two seasons, other than hope for some talented players to pull something out of the bag. Let’s not even get onto our transfer strategy, which is fecking basket case. We can sign another twenty centre backs and it wouldn’t solve our hideous transitions, which allows teams to get into our final third with ease and expose defenders.

I’ll be at the Leicester game in two weeks and I will be singing for the full 90 minutes, but I wish that was with hope and expectation rather than fear.
Liar....you will definately be swearing for more than 10 of those 90 I reckon. In all seriousness I think Pereira has been good, not amazing but good and deserves chances as back up more than others that have already had them.

I personally only wanted Mourinho as he was the only option really. I hoped he would adapt to the club and really prove himself an all time great as he has had the shaky spell before hand. But the philosophy he seems to be showing, the whinging, the signing of players he has already worked with.....he isnt adapting at all for me and also isnt showing the super confident arrogant manager he was up until Madrid, more the stubborn, prickly one he has become since.
I see a melt down and a move back to Serie A where he is still revered happening over the next twelve months personally

Ramshock

I never mentioned anything about their transfer fees did I? And nothing is guaranteed in football. I was merely forming an opinion, rightly or wrongly as you pointed out, based on the quality of these players' performances in their previous leagues. I also see the logic of these purchases from the Liverpool perspective based on the point I made about a knackered Liverpool in the second half of the season.
I assumed you werent a regular watcher of Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga, fair points!

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Vato its a fecking pre season game mate, we have to put up with this reactionary shite throughout the season. These are supposedly decently intelligent people as in they can type words on a screen so surely they can see we barely had one or maybe two starters in that team and most of our first team still arent back yet. Theres a time for letting people whinge and theres a time for calling out bullshit.
Still, nobody is going to be happy losing 4-1, especially against your biggest rival. Let them vent if they want! How is that such a problem for the rest? You can engage in conversation with likeminded people in those threads and ignore the others, no? I really don't see the big problem.

jesperjaap

Liverpool in the 2nd half of the 17/18 season performed worse than City, Spurs and United. So there goes your theory.
Not really as they were closer in points to all of us than they were up until January, nice try though

Fully Fledged

Let's not pretend you wouldn't be calling us shit and laughing at Klopp had you won.
End of the day it's about the performance the fitness and gaining rhythm. The results mean nothing other than the boost any one person chooses to take from it.
Of course but you would have come back with the fact that it was a preseason friendly so means nothing.

montpelier

Couldn't give a t*ss about the performance or the result in what amounts to a glorified open training match. Only thing I'm really worried about is that our top players will have very little game time to get properly match fit before the start of the season,
That is rather more concerning, :(.

As a barometer for where we are - this team losing to them like that isn't good.

Ramshock

Still, nobody is going to be happy losing 4-1, especially against your biggest rival. Let them vent if they want! How is that such a problem for the rest? You can engage in conversation with likeminded people in those threads and ignore the others, no? I really don't see the big problem.
You will eventually when its too late.

Stan Jefferson

Woziak

Here's the thing, tonight and much of pre season is a free pass for Jose as no one really cares about pre season games this summer, its more about fitness, team shape and getting new players bedded in... so why not go with the same formation as Liverpool and match them up with 4-1-2-3 and then if we lose 4 or 5-1 no one would really care, and most wpukd say Jose was experimenting which is good to see! The criticism is more to do with style of play than individual performances of very young inexperienced players.

Listening to his after match comments, he just seems angry with the World right now, which may bode well for the start of the season with the club creating a siege mentality. The two positives from the tour so far are Alexis and Andreas Pereira and from his comments regarding Anthony Martial, they indeed look ominous!

jesperjaap

Liverpool in the 2nd half of the 17/18 season performed worse than City, Spurs and United. So there goes your theory.
Not really as they were closer in points to all of us than they were up until January, so even though a tiny amounts points wise (performance wise more) I am factually correct

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm gonna go ahead and take that as a no then
Why do you need me to quote individual posts when the last pages of this thread are full of them for everyone to see?

You might disagree that they're top reds but surely you saw the posts from people jumping on the people complaining?

Stubble

Poor performance but this was basically our B Team and kids against most of Pools first team in the first half. Cant read anything into these games really. Main worry is the first team deffo won't be match ready for the start of the season and there may even be a couple more late signings to add and integrate yet. I can see the likes of Fellaini getting game time whilst the new players get up to speed. The whole thing reeks of poor planning and if we start badly we'll be chasing the pack from the off..

ti vu

If you're frustrated about a "friendly" match, then something is wrong with you in the first place!

Are you always critical, upset with a defeat in a pre season friendly?

cyberman

Both the Caf and RAWK will react the same either way.

If we win, both us and them will put it down as the meaningless friendly that it is. If they win, we will overreact massively about how it shows how crap we are and how it’s such an example of their imminent superiority over us, and so will they.
Yeah...

Stan Jefferson

Why do you need me to quote individual posts when the last pages of this thread are full of them for everyone to see?

You might disagree that they're top reds but surely you saw the posts from people jumping on the people complaining?
You said people were claiming that if you complain your not a "top red", I just wanted you to provide an example of somebody claiming that because I was pretty sure nobody actually said anything of the sort, your failure to do so indicates i'm probably right about that.

That's part of the problem with this place, somebody will come out with some exaggeration or even a flat out fabrication then you get a bunch of mindless morons going "yeah lol, so true rofl xoxo" and the whole thing turns into a circle jerk of pointlessness.

For the record, I have no problem with people complaining about whatever they feel like complaining about, I just wish people could put a little more effort and thought into things instead of simply resorting to the same old one line nonsense people already posted to death.

jesperjaap

Poor performance but this was basically our B Team and kids against most of Pools first team in the first half. Cant read anything into these games really. Main worry is the first team deffo won't be match ready for the start of the season and there may even be a couple more late signings to add and integrate yet. I can see the likes of Fellaini getting game time whilst the new players get up to speed. The whole thing reeks of poor planning and if we start badly we'll be chasing the pack from the off..
Also the first five games, only really Spurs that world cup wise have the same problem. I think new players is a problem most clubs will have as not many have done loads of business so far. One thing I am glad of is first five games we dont play any promoted teams (have Wolves 6th game though). Promoted teams always seem to do the odd surprise first few game with the excitement of premiership football

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
If you're frustrated about a "friendly" match, then something is wrong with you in the first place!

Are you always critical, upset with a defeat in a pre season friendly?
Dunno, I might if I stayed up late or canceled something to watch my team and then they play shitty. Who knows what people can be frustrated about? I don't even mind as I don't go into those forums so much but just find it strange that any negativity is attacked lately. Why does everything need to be so positive and rosy? It's just crazy that people expect that after a loss. Doesn't matter what game it is.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
You said people were claiming that if you complain your not a "top red", I just wanted you to provide an example of somebody claiming that because I was pretty sure nobody actually said anything of the sort, your failure to do so indicates i'm probably right about that.
:confused: I never said people were literally claiming that, did I? It just how I perceive it sometimes. It's like some people think they're better supporters for never complaining and 'getting behind the team' at all times. Thinking about it, they might actually be better supporters but who are they to say another can't vent or complain? That's what I'm getting at.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

City are currently 2-0 down Vs Bayern.
Arsenal beat PSG 5-1

I don't understand the outrage over a friendly. Other than the fact we lost to Liverpool. Anomalous results can happen in a pre-season game. Will mean jack shit if we start the season running once the rest of the big guns are back +/- a couple of first team signings.
2-2 now. Playing with kids as well.

At some point, you have to wonder why Mourinho insists on playing 'his way' especially in a pre-season friendly.

And I despise City.

ti vu

Dunno, I might if I stayed up late or canceled something to watch my team and then they play shitty. Who knows what people can be frustrated about? I don't even mind as I don't go into those forums so much but just find it strange that any negativity is attacked lately. Why does everything need to be so positive and rosy? It's just crazy that people expect that after a loss. Doesn't matter what game it is.
So basically you admitted you treated a friendly game in not so much friendly manner... Staying up late for a friendly? You don't miss anything if you fall asleep. The result is not even matter. Playing style, not rare super stars don't treat friendly seriously. Canceling something for it? Whoever put a friendly game as top priority in their life deserve whatever coming the way. I meant come on. Tell me if you wouldn't think somebody weird getting all worked up in the pub when his team lost a friendly and that person told him, he missed something else because of this friendly game!

Problem here on the internet is people don't have to show their faces so they can act out all they want. Calling ou how stupid it is, is not top red-ism. It's common sense.

Stan Jefferson

:confused: I never said people were literally claiming that, did I? It just how I perceive it sometimes. It's like some people think they're better supporters for never complaining and 'getting behind the team' at all times. Thinking about it, they might actually be better supporters but who are they to say another can't vent or complain? That's what I'm getting at.
Thats what your post said, if you didn't intend that then fair enough but is it really fair to have a go at them because of what you perceive them to be thinking? I fully understand what your getting at and for what its worth I don't disagree with your point but I don't think people are saying you can't complain at all, just calling for a bit of perspective.

ti vu

2-2 now. Playing with kids as well.

At some point, you have to wonder why Mourinho insists on playing 'his way' especially in a pre-season friendly.

And I despise City.
So there will be meltdown on Bayern forum then to bottle 2 goal lead against City kids? Or just whatever negative happen here by certain group of so called United fan.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
So basically you admitted you treated a friendly game in not so much friendly manner... Staying up late for a friendly? You don't miss anything if you fall asleep. The result is not even matter. Playing style, not rare super stars don't treat friendly seriously. Canceling something for it? Whoever put a friendly game as top priority in their life deserve whatever coming the way. I meant come on. Tell me if you wouldn't think somebody weird getting all worked up in the pub when his team lost a friendly and that person told him, he missed something else because of this friendly game!

Problem here on the internet is people don't have to show their faces so they can act out all they want. Calling ou how stupid it is, is not top red-ism. It's common sense.
Fair enough, that's your view about it, I have mine. Let's agree to disagree.
Thats what your post said, if you didn't intend that then fair enough but is it really fair to have a go at them because of what you perceive them to be thinking? I fully understand what your getting at and for what its worth I don't disagree with your point but I don't think people are saying you can't complain at all, just calling for a bit of perspective.
Wait, have a go at them? I didn't quote anyone in my original post. If anyone was having a go, it was them at the people complaining. Which I get, is not done here lately. Fine, let's move on then. Everything went fine for you guys tonight, good rehearsal.

Asger

Since your last post Gomes and Bohui have been subbed in. Greenwood and Garner have also featured twice this preseason. Are you actually watching this game on TV?
5 mins is nothing.. Should give them everytime atleast 30 minutes.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Watched a bit of the City Bayern game and there was more football in that 20 min than in all of our pre-season games combined.

ti vu

Way to miss the point - completely.
I doubt anyone can miss. Finding any chance to be negative.

So because it's pre season, you would drill tactical innovative style into kids, just so in a week time most of them would not be included in the first team, then you have few days to prepare for the real game?