Preseason Tour Game 6: Bayern v Man Utd (Friendly, Sunday 05 August 19:15 BST)

Dante

Average bang
Mourinho doesn't play a high press. Counter attacking is a valid tactic, unfortunately we just didn't do it well at all tonight.

Hopefully Leciester is far better with a more recognisable lineup. Pogba and Lukaku are absolutely vital for us.
You can only counter a high press if your midfielders are able to play one-touch passes to get out of tricky jams.

The problem is that Herrera, Pereira and Fred are all strangers to each other. It'll take time for the squad to learn each other's games.

Any combination of 3 from Pogba, Matic, Fred and Pereira could do the job. A bit of patience is going to be required, though.

Bobski

I don't care about free flowing exciting football, only about winning.
Why watch the games then?

Serious question, not trying to be a dick. If the result is all that matters and everything else is worthless then why spend so much of your time, anticipating, watching and reacting to a match? That last question could be for everyone and is really at the heart of the division within the fanbase. I doubt anyone is really bothered by the result tonight, it is only pre-season after all a few days from kick off, but the approach to the game is depressing.

I don't think Mourinho is Utd and that feeling is not about results.

walsh

You can only counter a high press if your midfielders are able to play one-touch passes to get out of tricky jams.

The problem is that Herrera, Pereira and Fred are all strangers to each other. It'll take time for the squad to learn each other's games.

Any combination of 3 from Pogba, Matic, Fred and Pereira could do the job. A bit of patience is going to be required, though.
Completely agree. Fred does look to have the attributes to handle such situations so let's wait and see.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

MUTV convinced Herrera was injured, so unless it was just a precaution there could be another stranger going in that midfield.

Morpheus 7

It was a very poor pre season, there is no getting around it. We look disjointed and players are missing and many coming in and out. Sanchez and Mata look good together, Pereira was impressive and that was about it. Need Rom back to lead the line and Pogba. It's not been the ideal preparation and maybe the WC players going so far won't help our opening month. It's all about Leicester, these pre season results don't mean anything. I'm sure there will be massive panic and nonsense in here tonight. I do hope we can bring some people in to bring some optimism back. God knows the red cafe needs it, the moaning in here this Summer has been something else. I'm looking forward to Friday, it's all about winning these opening games to we get everyone back. I'm sure the vibe will be a bit better come Friday morning.

Mainoldo

Why would I? I'm not the one having some sort of breakdown because I don't like the manager or the transfer dealings.
I just don’t like the manger tbf. Transfer wise we have a good squad already. That’s why we finished second. But according to you only the champions of our league are worthy of going toe to toe with Bayern anyone else should shit back and hope not to get battered.

Janson

Why watch the games then?

Serious question, not trying to be a dick. If the result is all that matters and everything else is worthless then why spend so much of your time, anticipating, watching and reacting to a match? That last question could be for everyone and is really at the heart of the division within the fanbase. I doubt anyone is really bothered by the result tonight, it is only pre-season after all a few days from kick off, but the approach to the game is depressing.

I don't think Mourinho is Utd and that feeling is not about results.
Dedication as a fan maybe? Should I go support another team because we aren't exciting to watch?

Art Vandelay

I just don’t like the manger tbf. Transfer wise we have a good squad already. That’s why we finished second. But according to you only the champions of our league are worthy of going toe to toe with Bayern anyone else should shit back and hope not to get battered.
That's not what I said. You've yet again twisted it to suit your doom and gloom agenda. I said we aren't as good as one of the best teams in Europe and we lost to them in a pre-season friendly without playing well.

el3mel

Very credible source.

It looks as if they build the report based on Mourinho's answer today.

Everyone say Bild is credible but I don't remember the last time they break a meaningful news.

Dante

Average bang
MUTV convinced Herrera was injured, so unless it was just a precaution there could be another stranger going in that midfield.
Press resistance is more important against the likes of Liverpool and Bayern than it is against Leicester and Brighton.

The first big test will be Spurs on August 27th. We'll need everyone firing on all cylinders by then. It's not ideal timing, but we do have a little more time for the first choice midfield 3 to bed in yet.

Mainoldo

That's not what I said. You've yet again twisted it to suit your doom and gloom agenda. I said we aren't as good as one of the best teams in Europe and we lost to them in a pre-season friendly without playing well.
We are one of the best teams in Europe though. So I don’t get what your point was. Like I was suppose to be happy because it’s Bayern Munich.

Bobski

Dedication as a fan maybe? Should I go support another team because we aren't exciting to watch?
No, would not say that, and perhaps my question came across as highly entitled. However for many fans the overall experience itself is as important as the result. Utd are so dour, on and off the pitch, it has made the match going experience a chore, even without the match there is so little joy around the club, people are not looking forward to games, there is no buzz and much of that is down to how Utd approach games.

Can't be fun to play in either.

Mainoldo

We're a long way off being on the same level as Bayern currently and that's just objectively speaking.
Did Liverpool not make the champions league final last season with Henderson and lovren or did I dream that. What exactly do we need Messi and Ronaldo?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We are one of the best teams in Europe though. So I don’t get what your point was. Like I was suppose to be happy because it’s Bayern Munich.
We aren't one of the best teams in Europe, maybe we should be but we aren't. Bad recruitment has made sure of that.

walsh

Did Liverpool not make the champions league final last season with Henderson and lovren or did I dream that. What exactly do we need Messi and Ronaldo?
I don't understand what that has to do with the fact that we're definitely not one of the best teams in Europe.

pascell

What about the lineup didn't suggest we were looking to counter? Do you think the plan was to boss possession or just to defend for 90 minutes, because I very much doubt it was either of those.

You're probably right but hopefully at least one of them will play.
Not playing with wingers as such, Sanchez and Rashford up front with Sanchez covering when Kimmich got forward. One of the main aspects of counter attacking football is playing with wingers to stretch the opposition.

I think we planned to keep the ball better than we did and interchange it through the middle to create our chances. We weren't going to win anything in air with Sanchez, Rashford and Mata playing as our forwards, so it suggested to me they'd link up to create our chances. The only wide players we had were Shaw and Darmian, neither got forward enough to create anything as they didn't want to get caught out by the Ribery and Robben.

I'm hoping we play Lukaku, Rashford doesn't fight for the ball enough with his body for my liking and we'll need that.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's genius, we don't need to worry about keeping all 6 of our centre halves happy as we know 4 of them will be injured at any one time.
:lol:

Jose finally solved the issue.
During contract negotiations with any new CB, we just show the injury issues that our CBs have and tell the incoming CB that he'll definitely get game time and that the odds of other CBs being fit is very very low.

Aaron Lyons

Sorry I am a Man Utd fan and I am disgusted with our pre season even though we did not have our best team out it would have been nice to see a bit of an effort seen shocking play every game and I can honestly say I am not looking forward to the new season will of mourinho has been poor with signings this transfer window needs to book his ideas up and sign someone good for once instead of spending millions on players that don’t bring tallent to us if we carry on from last season I don’t want Man City running away with the league again.very disappointed with us at the moment come on Man Utd please make some changes