Press Conference: Atalanta (H)

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Ole on Rashford Headlines

“Good afternoon, boys. Just to get the elephant out of the room straight away, we know the headlines that came after the Leicester game,” the manager told reporters before a question was asked. “We are so unbelievably proud of what Marcus has done on and off the pitch.

“You know what I said and you made a headline out of one little comment that I never intended to be the focus of what I was saying. I was saying it must be nice for the boy to focus on going into training and not feeling his ankle, or his shoulder or his back.

“Now he can just go and enjoy his football, and I think you all know that. So, there are no more questions on that one, or you can ask Marcus about it, but I just wanted to start with that one to get it out of the way.”

Rashford on loss vs Leicester

You know, I think at a club like Manchester United, as soon as you lose a game, this is what happens. I think for us as players, we have to just go back to basics, we have to look at ourselves and see what we can do better. We’ve had the conversation as a team, as we would do whether we win a game or lose a game. We know that the next game is another opportunity to improve and that’s the aim."

Ole on coaching staff

Every team will go through a patchy period, we are in one now, we know that.
"The coaching staff we have got is absolutely amazing, the attention to detail, training sessions, preparations. I don't think I could ask for better.
"They are Manchester United people with intention of helping the team grow."
"What I've done? As with every game we analyse the game, look at we have to improve on. But you move on quickly, which is Atalanta.
"We focus on what we need to be good at."

Rashford on conversations after defeat

"Yeah, but it’s not only after defeats, even after some games when we win and we know that we’ve not played well. It’s as important, if not more important to have the conversation after those because you want to nip it in the bud as soon as possible.
"Especially in the Premier League, you have to defend well, I don’t talk just about the back four and goalkeeper, as a team you have to defend as one. Against Leicester, it was just too open, it’s as simple as that. They’re a good footballing team, as there are a lot of them out there.
"It was too easy for them to break through us, it’s something we’ve analysed and we’re going to do our best not to let it happen again. The game tomorrow is a perfect opportunity for us to show that."

Ole on Ronaldos pressing

"We have got 11 players out there with different roles. We put a team out we think will win a game, if we don't win there will always be criticism.
"He is doing everything he can to help the team."

What would be a succesful season:

Ole:
"It is not a jovial happy camp, they are focused and determined. Conceding four goals is a big eye-opener for us."

Rashford: I think for us, as players, we want to win silverware, and the staff as well, everyone wants to win trophies, but there are steps you have to take to get there, you don’t just win the trophies overnight. We’ve been on this journey a while now, it’s taking a while to get there, we’ve come close a lot of times. We have to find the difference between coming close and getting our hands on trophies. But after the period we’re in now, it’s the next games that counts, we don’t want to look too far ahead."

Feel safe in the job?

Ole:

"We've progressed over the years. Sixth when I was here for half a season, then third, second, you can see the progress, the development, the improvement.
"This season, we still want to improve. We've signed some players that have raised expectations. Other teams have signed players and improved as well. We're in the same boat as all of the top teams. "There's pressure all of the time, there's pressure on me, of course. We've been under pressure before but come through it. I'm just looking forward to the response now and, as you said, I'm in dialogue with the club all of the time, so that's an open and honest discussion.
"After every game, we look through the game, we analyse the game, we look at what we did well and what we didn't do well. You move on quickly to the next opponent.
"It's Atalanta, it's a different opposition, a different competition, and we focus on what we need to be good at in this game.
"And as I've said there's been loads of stuff that hasn't been good enough lately and we've put a few things right and hopefully tomorrow we can see the result from that with a good performance."

Carragher comments:

Ole:

"I prefer not to watch them two!
"It doesn’t affect me but of course you see some of the comments, we’ve got Liverpool on Sunday as well so Jamie is always looking at these little things.
"I’ve got my values, my way of managing, I believe in myself, as long as the club believes in me, I'm pretty sure Jamie Carragher’s opinion isn’t going to change that."

Atlanta:

Ole:

I am very impressed by their way, their style, the way they develop players. The manager is clearly very strong.
"Of course we signed Amad and watched them quite a lot. They have an attacking philosophy which many fans of football would like."

Rashford:

"I think they have a very aggressive style of play, I’d say, both in attacking and defensive situations. It’s a team [which is] definitely going to be a tough game. It’s going to be an intense game but it’s the type of test that we want, it’s the type of test that we’re going to thrive off and I believe that this game can bring the best out of our players, so hopefully we get the tough game that we want and show people what we can do."

Teja

Pretty meh.

"Especially in the Premier League, you have to defend well, I don’t talk just about the back four and goalkeeper, as a team you have to defend as one. Against Leicester, it was just too open, it’s as simple as that.
"It was too easy for them to break through us, it’s something we’ve analysed and we’re going to do our best not to let it happen again. The game tomorrow is a perfect opportunity for us to show that."
Let's see it then. The last time we tried something with the press, Villareal schooled us.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Some journo should have asked him why he didn't walk after Saturday.

red4ever 79

Ole on coaching staff

"The coaching staff we have got is absolutely amazing, the attention to detail, training sessions, preparations. I don't think I could ask for better.
"What I've done? As with every game we analyse the game, look at we have to improve on. But you move on quickly, which is Atalanta.

It makes you want to spew vomit all over the floor and walls. What an absolute load of lies.
19 games without a clean sheet Ole
No supply line to Ronaldo
Shite in midfield

LoneStar

Generic comments like 'We play the United way', 'the boys are training hard', something about 'progress', 'bigger picture', 'we'll learn from our mistakes and come back stronger', 'we know what the fans want'.

I'm guessing it'll be a subset of this.

ShinjiNinja26

Atlanta:

Ole:

I am very impressed by their way, their style, the way they develop players. The manager is clearly very strong.
"Of course we signed Amad and watched them quite a lot. They have an attacking philosophy which many fans of football would like."
I wonder if their manager will say the same about us?? …Yeah no, of course he won’t.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

“Good afternoon, boys. Just to get the elephant out of the room straight away, we know the headlines that came after the Leicester game,” the manager told reporters before a question was asked. “We are so unbelievably proud of what Marcus has done on and off the pitch.

“You know what I said and you made a headline out of one little comment that I never intended to be the focus of what I was saying. I was saying it must be nice for the boy to focus on going into training and not feeling his ankle, or his shoulder or his back.

“Now he can just go and enjoy his football, and I think you all know that. So, there are no more questions on that one, or you can ask Marcus about it, but I just wanted to start with that one to get it out of the way.”

You know, I think at a club like Manchester United, as soon as you lose a game, this is what happens. I think for us as players, we have to just go back to basics, we have to look at ourselves and see what we can do better. We’ve had the conversation as a team, as we would do whether we win a game or lose a game. We know that the next game is another opportunity to improve and that’s the aim."

Ole on coaching staff

"Yeah, but it’s not only after defeats, even after some games when we win and we know that we’ve not played well. It’s as important, if not more important to have the conversation after those because you want to nip it in the bud as soon as possible.
"Especially in the Premier League, you have to defend well, I don’t talk just about the back four and goalkeeper, as a team you have to defend as one. Against Leicester, it was just too open, it’s as simple as that. They’re a good footballing team, as there are a lot of them out there.

Ole on Ronaldos pressing

"We have got 11 players out there with different roles. We put a team out we think will win a game, if we don't win there will always be criticism.

Ole:
"It is not a jovial happy camp, they are focused and determined. Conceding four goals is a big eye-opener for us."

Rashford: I think for us, as players, we want to win silverware, and the staff as well, everyone wants to win trophies, but there are steps you have to take to get there, you don’t just win the trophies overnight. We’ve been on this journey a while now, it’s taking a while to get there, we’ve come close a lot of times. We have to find the difference between coming close and getting our hands on trophies. But after the period we’re in now, it’s the next games that counts, we don’t want to look too far ahead."

Feel safe in the job?

Ole:

"We've progressed over the years. Sixth when I was here for half a season, then third, second, you can see the progress, the development, the improvement.
"This season, we still want to improve. We've signed some players that have raised expectations. Other teams have signed players and improved as well. We're in the same boat as all of the top teams. "There's pressure all of the time, there's pressure on me, of course. We've been under pressure before but come through it. I'm just looking forward to the response now and, as you said, I'm in dialogue with the club all of the time, so that's an open and honest discussion.
"After every game, we look through the game, we analyse the game, we look at what we did well and what we didn't do well. You move on quickly to the next opponent.
"It's Atalanta, it's a different opposition, a different competition, and we focus on what we need to be good at in this game.
"And as I've said there's been loads of stuff that hasn't been good enough lately and we've put a few things right and hopefully tomorrow we can see the result from that with a good performance."

Carragher comments:

Ole:

"It doesn’t affect me but of course you see some of the comments, we’ve got Liverpool on Sunday as well so Jamie is always looking at these little things.
"I’ve got my values, my way of managing, I believe in myself, as long as the club believes in me, I'm pretty sure Jamie Carragher’s opinion isn’t going to change that."

Atlanta:

Ole:

Rashford:

"I think they have a very aggressive style of play, I’d say, both in attacking and defensive situations. It’s a team [which is] definitely going to be a tough game. It’s going to be an intense game but it’s the type of test that we want, it’s the type of test that we’re going to thrive off and I believe that this game can bring the best out of our players, so hopefully we get the tough game that we want and show people what we can do."
Thanks for that.

Load of political shite from the manager

romufc

Atalanta are probably looking forward to this game. Ole as usual waffling his way through the presser.

I expect no response from the team this week, maybe we start the game with extra energy and then realise 10 mins in that its coaching we need not just energy.

Teams have times when they look bad, we look bad whilst winning, drawing, losing.

When a team puts in 0 complete performances, you know the manager is not good enough.

red4ever 79

Generic comments like 'We play the United way', 'the boys are training hard', something about 'progress', 'bigger picture', 'we'll learn from our mistakes and come back stronger', 'we know what the fans want'.

No, even better. Our coaches are doing an amazing job

MichaelRed

I wonder if their manager will say the same about us?? …Yeah no, of course he won’t.
The only thing opposition managers ever say about us is we can be dangerous at any time because we have talented players. Nobody ever compliments our manager or 'style of play'.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Go on then, what would you have said if you were in his position?

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Ole on coaching staff

Well, there it is.

EyeToldYou

Ole on coaching staff

Ole on Ronaldos pressing

Ole:

Feel safe in the job?

Ole:

Carragher comments:

Ole:

Atlanta:

Ole:

Rashford:

Christ, talk about starting off on the back foot.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Let's see how the two games go this week.
You know how they are going to go already.

Try for a minute to imagine Shaw raciing up the left wing at a thundering pace to get near the halfway line - when he gets about there he will stop and put his foot on the ball, run back wards and pass it backwards -or if you are really lucky sideways.
Count how many times he does it for one reason or another

Handsome Devil

Ole on coaching staff

Hyperb-OLE.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
You are right. I was certain he would say that al of his staff are shite and a bunch of wasters, how dare he praise them.
Yes, that was the only other answer he could've given, that they are shite.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Bunch of miserable bastards.
Yeah, I don’t get it at all. There is literally nothing Ole can say now that won’t be picked apart and used to slag him off. What possible enjoyment can anyone get from doing that? If they know in advance that whatever he says in a press conference will piss them off, why are they opening this thread? Fecking masochists.

RedDevil@84

This is a blatant lie isn't it? At least from the media reports, it seems Ole clearly said Rashford should prioritise football because he is in his prime. Ole wasn't talking about shoulder or back aches.

Ixion

I'm glad this was clarified and Ole said how proud the club is of Marcus.

Kaos

It's a shame, because I think he handles himself very well in these press conferences. Says all the right things and comes across as quite intelligent, reasoned and confident.

Then we get on the pitch and you're reminded we're an absolute shambles.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
everything is FANTASTIC in Ole's world.

izec

This is a blatant lie isn't it? At least from the media reports, it seems Ole clearly said Rashford should prioritise football because he is in his prime. Ole wasn't talking about shoulder or back aches.
Yes, it wasnt twisted by the media, as he directly said it. What he said was clear, he now says something different. I get it that he didnt expect the backlash and is now heavily backtracking, but his explanation now is not what he said or meant. He is making it up, as it is burning everywhere. The last thing he needs is to piss of important players.

AndySmith1990

"The coaching staff we have got is absolutely amazing, the attention to detail, training sessions, preparations. I don't think I could ask for better."

There you have it, we have the best coaching staff in world football. Don't know what we were all worried about.

Sviken

This is what I hate about Ole the most. It is always "hard work", "defend well", "win the 50/50's", "more passion". Literally school gym football stuff. You see the passion Klopp and Guardiola have when they talk about tactics and then you listen to Ole who appears to think football is simply a game of who desires it more.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
This is what I hate about Ole the most. It is always "hard work", "defend well", "win the 50/50's", "more passion". Literally school gym football stuff. You see the passion Klopp and Guardiola have when they talk about tactics and then you listen to Ole who appears to think football is simply a game of who desires it more.
That answer was Rashford I believe but I take your point.

Irwin99

God I actually forgot we signed Amad :eek::lol: We're absolutely stacked in that position.

tenpoless

"The coaching staff we have got is absolutely amazing, the attention to detail, training sessions, preparations. I don't think I could ask for better"

But you can and you should.

JuriM

"The coaching staff we have got is absolutely amazing, the attention to detail, training sessions, preparations. I don't think I could ask for better"

But you can and you should.
How? He has the experience from Cardiff and Molde - all though respect to these clubs, ours should look amazing - compared to clubs who have won Prem & CL last years, prob not so much.