Prime Ferdinand or Prime Varane

Who was more impressive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glorio

I edge towards Rio even if I feel the gap is not as large as some might be making out.

kaku06

I still remember kaka in his absolute prime naming Rio the toughest/best defender he played against in an interview for champions league magazine show back in mid 00’s and that was an era of so many great defenders. That always stuck with me.

Sviken

this thread :houllier:

Varane is very good, but he has a long way before reaching Ferdinand's level and proving himself here.

Skills

Snitch
They're very, very similar I think. I think Varane would be rated higher if he played in the 2000s.

kaku06

It’s Rio for me and sorry it’s not even close. It’s only close because of the accolades/trophies Varane has to his name but on an individual level Rio has everything which Varane has and has got some more which Varane doesn’t have. Varane for me falls in a tier below Rio on an individual level as a defender.

The only defender I rate highly than Rio post 00 is Alessandro Nesta.

macheda14

this thread :houllier:

Varane is very good, but he has a long way before reaching Ferdinand's level and proving himself here.
Yeh winning 3 leagues, 4 CLs and a World Cup is a long way to go. I prefer Ferdinand, but Varane can’t be seen as far off purely based on what he’s won.

TsuWave

Varane’s CV >

People talking as if Varane is any guy. Varane is one of the most accomplished defenders ever, and he was core to those accolades.

JB7

Yeh winning 3 leagues, 4 CLs and a World Cup is a long way to go. I prefer Ferdinand, but Varane can’t be seen as far off purely based on what he’s won.
Jonathan Greening is a better player than Kevin De Bruyne on that ridiculous logic.

Lebo

:lol: what on earth
Maybe that came out the wrong way. He was a great defender but his popularity came from his overrall attributes more than defending. I’ll say prime Varane Pepe would be a more solid defence than any combination with Ramos.

Ferdinand is being overrated in this thread.Vidic in 2008 was better than Ferdinand IMO.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Rio and how's that even a question. You either haven't seen the prime Rio or simply trolling it.

Rio was the actual definition of a Rolls-Royce.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Maybe that came out the wrong way. He was a great defender but his popularity came from his overrall attributes more than defending. I’ll say prime Varane Pepe would be a more solid defence than any combination with Ramos.

Ferdinand is being overrated in this thread.Vidic in 2008 was better than Ferdinand IMO.
:lol:

Its Rio then Stam then Vidic.

JB7

Wrong.

Ace

Rio is my all-time favorite united player. Loving this new partnership of Varane-Martinez though!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If you ask me to do a best team from PL era , Rio would start in my defence.

macheda14

Jonathan Greening is a better player than Kevin De Bruyne on that ridiculous logic.
Yes because Greening was a starting player if you’re going to criticise someone logic maybe don’t be ridiculous yourself.

I didn’t say Varane was better, if you’d like to use your eyes and read. I said you can’t say ‘he’s far off Ferdinand and has a lot to prove’ if he was a starting centre back winning the biggest trophies in the game. Basic comprehension might help you out some day mate.

Orion.

Rio, 100%.
I think his legacy was somewhat tarnished by his cringy ‘merked’ persona of circa 2006 - he epitomised class on the pitch but the caricature he was off it for a time prejudiced people’s perception of him.

Him and Woodgate were the closest thing England has produced to elite continental style defenders - Nesta was the gold standard at that time, but they were two who you watched who oozed class.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Rio, 100%.
I think his legacy was somewhat tarnished by his cringy ‘merked’ persona of circa 2006 - he epitomised class on the pitch but the caricature he was off it for a time prejudiced people’s perception of him.

Him and Woodgate were the closest thing England has produced to elite continental style defenders - Nesta was the gold standard at that time, but they were two who you watched who oozed class.
Woodgate’s injury problems were so unfortunate. Have no doubt he’d be up there with Rio, Terry, Vidic in the best PL defenders debate.

Ledley King, too. What a colossus of a player he was.

JB7

Yes because Greening was a starting player if you’re going to criticise someone logic maybe don’t be ridiculous yourself.

I didn’t say Varane was better, if you’d like to use your eyes and read. I said you can’t say ‘he’s far off Ferdinand and has a lot to prove’ if he was a starting centre back winning the biggest trophies in the game. Basic comprehension might help you out some day mate.
Nothing wrong with my comprehension skills, you didn't say that. You said "Yeh winning 3 leagues, 4 CLs and a World Cup is a long way to go. I prefer Ferdinand, but Varane can’t be seen as far off purely based on what he’s won".

Greening has won the Champions League, De Bruyne has not. It is an extreme example but shows why using medals to judge a player is ridiculous logic.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You talking 07/08 or 08/09?

If the latter, then you're correct. That was the start of Rio's injury issues which caused his decline back to mere mortal levels, while it was Vidic's best ever season. From that point forward Vidic was generally better. If the former then no. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Rio in 07/08 is either the best or second best season any central defender in the world has had since the turn of the century (Nesta in 03/04 (I think) is the other one up there).

Rio's peak only lasted two seasons unfortunately, due to the back injury that seemed to rob him of a bit of pace and agility that started in 08/09. He was never quite the same after that. The fact he was still one of the best defenders in the world despite that shows how ridiculously good he was before the injury. But he was certainly better at his peak than Varane has ever been. One thing that hurts Varane is how he had a tendency to fall apart and struggle when Ramos wasn't there when they played together at Real. He also wasn't particularly good for us last season, albeit not many were.

Orion.

Woodgate’s injury problems were so unfortunate. Have no doubt he’d be up there with Rio, Terry, Vidic in the best PL defenders debate.

Ledley King, too. What a colossus of a player he was.
Stam too.

Most underrated one I’ve seen in the league was Toby Alderweireld - there was a couple of years where he was the best defender in England and a fundamental element of what Spurs were (over) achieving under Pochettino until he tore his hamstring.

macheda14

Nothing wrong with my comprehension skills, you didn't say that. You said "Yeh winning 3 leagues, 4 CLs and a World Cup is a long way to go. I prefer Ferdinand, but Varane can’t be seen as far off purely based on what he’s won".

Greening has won the Champions League, De Bruyne has not. It is an extreme example but shows why using medals to judge a player is ridiculous logic.
Yes but it’s based on the basic understanding that Varane is a fantastic CB and has been for much of his career. We know he started for all those cups and medals. You quite literally can’t be a starting CB and not be fantastic to have won that much. It’s different if it’s the one off. It’s not like bloody Wes Morgan.

Your extreme example isn’t even extreme it’s just not comparable. KDB has still won multiple trophies as a starter.

JB7

Yes but it’s based on the basic understanding that Varane is a fantastic CB and has been for much of his career. We know he started for all those cups and medals. You quite literally can’t be a starting CB and not be fantastic to have won that much. It’s different if it’s the one off. It’s not like bloody Wes Morgan.

Your extreme example isn’t even extreme it’s just not comparable. KDB has still won multiple trophies as a starter.
He hasn't won a trophy at the level Greening has though. :D

FriedClams

This Thread made me go and watch rio highlight videos :)

it’s not as clear cut as a lot of people make out. Varane has played in two and won one World Cup final, and 4x the amount of champions leagues. Both at their absolute peak, can arguably be the starting centre backs of the last 15 years best XI.

surf

Peak Rio. Always felt that Varane was overshadowed by Ramos.

Varane's international career was better though.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Continental fans might say Varane because of his incredibly impressive accomplishments but as someone who has seen both play at his club, objectively it’s Ferdinand and it’s not even remotely close.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They're very, very similar I think. I think Varane would be rated higher if he played in the 2000s.
Lot of foreign fans will say Varane simply because of how much they despise the English.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
The disrespect to Rio, good grief.

Varane is a wonderful player but has he actually ever been the best CB in any side he's been in?

Ramos was better at Madrid
Umtiti was better when France won the WC in 2018
Lisandro is better now I'd say

Think part of it is Varane has always been poor to mediocre with the ball at his feet, which limits his ceiling in a way that never applied to Rio.
Jesus. Varane is well above the mean for elite level defenders with regards to his mistakes causing turnovers, his pass completion rate, he very rarely loses the ball.

Rio was better, but varane being poor to mediocre is a bit much.

SAFMUTD

Rio by quite some distance, he was an absolute beast. Varane is really good as well but Rio was different.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Come on man did you all not see Rio play?

Varane was let go by his club when he was 28. That's not to say he is trash, his club is Madrid and all but there was debate among Madrid supporters whether or not that was a good decision.

Now think about Rio Ferdinand at 28. At 2007. Imagine if the idea of letting him go to another club was suggested. Imagine there being any "debate" if it would be good to let him go.

No comparison. Rio.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

No way. Vidic was a monster but (dare I say this) he was only allowed to be the monster he was because of Rio. They both served different roles but Rio had the more technical and difficult task.

Righteous Steps

Varane’s level actually dropped off from when I first saw him at 18-19, if he progressed the same way as expected of him relative to how good he was as a teen, he’d probably be the best ever.

Mas Risky

Rio is one of the greatest defenders of all time when he is at his peak. He is athletic, reads the game well, has good footwork, and balance. If he had more adventurous career (playing in Spain or Italy), I have no doubt that he would be considered as THE greatest.