Prime Hazard or Prime Salah?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
A more unpopular opinion but at their peaks for one season I would take Mane over Salah. He was capable of absolute magic and is exactly the kind of wide forward I like - fast and could breeze pass people with ease. He was better in the season Liverpool won the title and I remember that CL final were Salah went off injured, Mane was attacking Real almost by himself.
Peak Mane was about as good as regular Salah. Peak Salah was a cut above.

Loved Mane though. He had absolutely truckloads of bottle when the chips were down.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I would take Hazard. Though it's close - both have things that are badly needed in the current United team.

A more unpopular opinion but at their peaks for one season I would take Mane over Salah. He was capable of absolute magic and is exactly the kind of wide forward I like - fast and could breeze pass people with ease. He was better in the season Liverpool won the title and I remember that CL final were Salah went off injured, Mane was attacking Real almost by himself.

Longevity Salah has it.
If only LVG pulled of the Mane transfer.

Revan

Assumptionman
Henry-Salah-Suarez is essentially the same ballpark.

There would be good arguments for one or both edging Salah, but it isn’t outlandish to make a debate out of it as the gap between the three isn’t wide.

What is inarguable is that Salah is a good tier above Hazard.

And when you’re trying to compare Salah to Torres, then you’re either drunk or just trolling - a more even debate would be Torres vs Owen as they belong in the same ballpark. Salah is a good couple of levels above both.
Nope. His top bottom was not as high as theirs and he had only 2 great seasons in EPL. Would replace him with Cristiano, whom along Salah and Henry is the best EPL player ever.

Aguero, Rooney, Suarez, Hazard a level below them. RVN, RVP (short longevity), Torres, Owen, Bale, Mane a further level down, albeit you can move players between tiers.

DennisReynolds

I would take Hazard. Though it's close - both have things that are badly needed in the current United team.

Longevity Salah has it.
Salah is comfortably better than Mané and was so in the title winning season.

People forget just how poor Mané was for long spells of time, to the point that I don't think many Liverpool fans would have cared if he was sold. He turned it around after the AFCON but had a solid 18 month bad spell before then.

marktan

Peak Mane was about as good as regular Salah. Peak Salah was a cut above.

Loved Mane though. He had absolutely truckloads of bottle when the chips were down.
I think from a purely dribbling perspective peak Mane was above peak Salah. Of course Salah is a better goal scorer.

People forget just how poor Mané was for long spells of time, to the point that I don't think many Liverpool fans would have cared if he was sold. He turned it around after the AFCON but had a solid 18 month bad spell before then.
I think Mane has become a bit underrated if anything, due to him slowing down towards the end. He was a great player for a long period of time, and very hard working. That goal against Bayern.. not many in the world can score that.

marktan

Nope. His top bottom was not as high as theirs and he had only 2 great seasons in EPL. Would replace him with Cristiano, whom along Salah and Henry is the best EPL player ever.

Aguero, Rooney, Suarez, Hazard a level below them. RVN, RVP (short longevity), Torres, Owen, Bale, Mane a further level down, albeit you can move players between tiers.
That's an interesting one, Bale's final season at Spurs is up there as one of the best individual seasons in the league. That season of Bale vs Salah is a tough one.

erikcred

That's just wrong.

The main reason Liverpool built up a massive lead early doors that season was Mane. He came back from AFCON 2019 with a vengeance and dragged Liverpool to so many close wins while Salah was still finding his form. Around winter is when Salah started to turn it on and by that time the title was almost surely theirs.

DennisReynolds

That's just wrong.

The main reason Liverpool built up a massive lead early doors that season was Mane. He came back from AFCON 2019 with a vengeance and dragged Liverpool to so many close wins while Salah was still finding his form. Around winter is when Salah started to turn it on and by that time the title was almost surely theirs.
They both had 7 goal contributions in their first 8 games with Firmino picking up 6 in 8.

Don't get me wrong, Mané scored a lot of important goals for Liverpool (even in seasons when he wasn't at his best) but he was far from the main reason Liverpool won the league. It was a pretty equal team performance.

Reactions: Jippy

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think from a purely dribbling perspective peak Mane was above peak Salah. Of course Salah is a better goal scorer.
And better passer, better at holding up the ball, and played with higher intensity and just got through more good attacking work in a game.

Not that Mane was lacking in those departments. But peak Salah breaks scoring records or tops both the scoring and assist charts, whilst scoring some amazing solo goals along the way.