Priority Signing: CB vs DM vs RW vs Striker

What position do we need to fill the most? (If you could only fill one)

• Total voters

Diabovermelho

A window consisting of Sancho, CB (one of Varane, Kounde or Torres) and Trippier is by no means bad. It would actually be one of our best windows in years. But we would still have failed to address the DM situation, that should be our priority.

One more season with Fred, Scott, Matic and Pogba in a double pivot will hold us back. Even if VDB starts playing more as a 8 or if we bring Garner back (don't think he's ready), it's not good enough.

Castia

I really want a CDM someone like Rice would improve us 100%

My only worry is Ole’s obsession with McFred, he would start one of those 2 alongside the new CDM and my fear is we’d still be lacking creativity from midfield.

If we sign a cdm we need to be playing VDB or Pogba alongside them.

croadyman

What CDM could we realistically get IF somehow get Varane & Sancho come in this window

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why can’t we sign all? It’s 4 positions. Have the Glazers really conned you all into thinking we can only sign 1 starter per season?

jesperjaap

I would say they were all equally important until we got Cavani to extend. For me I would say DM is the priority, merely for the fact I actually think we need to sign two of them, not just one....much like we have needed two new centre backs for quite a while and only signed one in Maguire.....so now we still have the problem of needing another centre back

jesperjaap

What CDM could we realistically get IF somehow get Varane & Sancho come in this window
Realistically we are not going to buy our first choices for all four positions need strengthening, if we are able to sign for all four positions full stop. I understand your post...........but, dm I feel is the one position that has the most potential options to choose from and also at the cheaper end of the scale cost wise. Outside of Rice, I dont see any other options costing over £50m and there are plenty nearer the £30m mark, certainly outside of the premiership anyway. I think no matter who we buy this summer, if we fail to buy a dm, it is probably because we wrongly have decided we dont need to sign one this summer

jesperjaap

Why can’t we sign all? It’s 4 positions. Have the Glazers really conned you all into thinking we can only sign 1 starter per season?
Well outside of surprise signings, majority of fans and pundits only really see SAncho as the right wing option and Kane or Haaland up front......if that is the case, that is £200m.

Of course we have several players we could sell that would bring in those fees.....but we have never spent that much or sold that much before.....I still have a feeling it will be two signings and a youngster....the usual progress but not enough at once of the last couple of years

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This.

No one is expecting glazers to splash 70-90m on every position. But they can easily give a 150m transfer kitty to ole to fill also those positions.

croadyman

Realistically we are not going to buy our first choices for all four positions need strengthening, if we are able to sign for all four positions full stop. I understand your post...........but, dm I feel is the one position that has the most potential options to choose from and also at the cheaper end of the scale cost wise. Outside of Rice, I dont see any other options costing over £50m and there are plenty nearer the £30m mark, certainly outside of the premiership anyway. I think no matter who we buy this summer, if we fail to buy a dm, it is probably because we wrongly have decided we dont need to sign one this summer
Yeah totally agree about there being some decent cheaper options but doesn't feel like we are looking outside of Rice

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Well outside of surprise signings, majority of fans and pundits only really see SAncho as the right wing option and Kane or Haaland up front......if that is the case, that is £200m.

Of course we have several players we could sell that would bring in those fees.....but we have never spent that much or sold that much before.....I still have a feeling it will be two signings and a youngster....the usual progress but not enough at once of the last couple of years
Chelsea spent 300m last summer. City spent 250m in 2017. We generate more then both, so why can’t we spend 300m?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

This.

No one is expecting glazers to splash 70-90m on every position. But they can easily give a 150m transfer kitty to ole to fill also those positions.
Chelsea spent 300m last season. If we are serious about challenging we need to be spending at least 200m this summer.

Rooney1987

I'm hoping the lack of midfield links is down to the fact they aren't as click bait worthy as the Sancho, Kane and Haaland stories. If Ole can't see how bad our midfield is, not to mention the lack of depth there, then feck help us next season.
It's concerning, as long as they can put us in a transfer story no matter the name value they do it. Everytime I look in the transfer thread it's all CBs and STs. That's a sign those are the positions United are going for, sending lists of players for each position was a Woodward move so maybe it's different now. It's how we got linked to David Brooks last summer, we had a list of RM and was on it, probably very low but on it. Outside of Rice no real link to any DM. I'm hoping these strikers links like Ings are a month old because of Cavani.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
If we get a DM, that would free up our attaching midfielders and forwards to do the damage. But i feel it is equally important to go for either Sancho in the RW or Kane as a CF, as they will also take us a level up. We can't feck this summer up.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
40-50M plus Jesse Lingard to West Ham for Rice?

There's talk at the moment of you offering Lingard and Martial to Spurs for Kane that would bring down the 200M quite significantly.

Devil may care

It's concerning, as long as they can put us in a transfer story no matter the name value they do it. Everytime I look in the transfer thread it's all CBs and STs. That's a sign those are the positions United are going for, sending lists of players for each position was a Woodward move so maybe it's different now. It's how we got linked to David Brooks last summer, we had a list of RM and was on it, probably very low but on it. Outside of Rice no real link to any DM. I'm hoping these strikers links like Ings are a month old because of Cavani.
It is a bit concerning I agree, I'm just trying to look on the positive side as I just can't believe a manager who played with Scholes, Keane and Beckham could undervalue midfield to the point he thinks McFred is good enough. The Rice link is easy fodder because of Lingard being at West Ham I feel, maybe we are just under the radar with midfield scouting, I did think the same thing about the Ings story, we probably sounded out the option in case Cavani didn't sign.

Lux Thunder

I know that stats can be misleading, but let's take a look. According to Understand, here are some interesting numbers about our 37 games so far in the league:

xG = 61.12
GS = 71

This proves that our attack is more clinical and finishing is very good given the chances we create.

xGa = 41.22
GA = 43

Proves that we conceded more goals than we should. Here we could spare this into the following:

Open play:

xGa = 30.91
GA = 25

So, we concede fewer goals from open play than opponents created. That can be also a good indicator of our strong options in goal, De Gea and Henderson and their shot-stopping ability.

From corner:

xGa = 5.20
GA = 9

The big issue with the team is defending set-pieces, in particular corners.

With these numbers in mind, it would be sensible to prioritize CB with great aerial ability and CM who can create better chances for our attackers, than RW and CF as the attack proves to be clinical enough.

But, yet again, who would say no to the likes of Kane, Grealish or Sancho.. Also, Sancho would give extra chance creation to the team from the right-wing position.

Cman

I’m living in Australia for the past 12 years now and as well as following utd I have an interest in the AFL( Aussie rules) football.
In the AFL they have a draft system very similar to the American sports. Last place team gets first pick in draft.
Anyways when it comes to the draft there is 2 routes teams go in terms of bringing in talent.
The first is “best available” that is you take the best player you can get regardless of the positions you need to fill. Generally the top 5/6 picks will always be the best available at that pick.
The second is picking for needs which explains itself.
I picked RW as our most import position to fill as this is where we can get the best talent available. Sancho.
I agree that we need a CDM and CB just as much or more but there’s no stand out option available in those positions.
Hopefully our scouting department can pick someone in those position that work out as well as Bruno and not DVB.
But for me first and most important signing is Sanch