Priority Signing: CB vs DM vs RW vs Striker

What position do we need to fill the most? (If you could only fill one)

• Total voters

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
McTominay is a better player and hasn't hit his peak yet. We got our pants pulled down on the Fred deal. We've seen Fred's best and it isn't good enough.
McT is the worse player of the two. I feel it is the same as with Lingard who was overrated for so long as he was an Academy player. McT doesn't even play in midfield for Scotland

croadyman

Centerback for me.

I can't stand another season with Lindelof as first choice. He's a squad player who can't be relied every match
But then I also feel the same about Fred & McTominay because we clearly need better quality in that area

SecondFig

CDM for me, with the caveat that unlike the other positions, I can't think of a realistic signing who I'm really confident could come in and do what we need...

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Centerback for me.

I can't stand another season with Lindelof as first choice. He's a squad player who can't be relied every match
Lindelöf will look much better with a better DM in front of him.
Fred wouldn't look better with a better CB behind.

Not saying i don't want a better CB in, but a DM will improve the team more.

Pavl3n

All three positions are vital.
We are a Sancho away from having a really good attack force. But CB and CDM are so important. It's so needed for a bit of more quality in the middle and sealing the leak of goals at the back.
Couldn't the Glazers just go on a 250m spree and bring Kane, Sancho. CB and CDM?
Eh...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Lindelöf will look much better with a better DM in front of him.
Fred wouldn't look better with a better CB behind.

Not saying i don't want a better CB in, but a DM will improve the team more.
Lindelhof would look better away from OT

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's between CB and DM, personally I'd go for CB because Lindelof is not a leader and an injury to Maguire kills the team. Our CB depth is appalling (DM just as bad), but I've watched enough of Lindelof to know that he won't make the step up, his weakness in the air kills us. It's a clear area of improvement that we need fixing immediately if we're serious about winning trophies.

To be honest, our depth across the squad is pretty poor but I feel like we can live with an injury to Greenwood or Rashford. It's vital we get a CB and DM in this window.

gorky_utd

All three positions are vital.
We are a Sancho away from having a really good attack force. But CB and CDM are so important. It's so needed for a bit of more quality in the middle and sealing the leak of goals at the back.
Couldn't the Glazers just go on a 250m spree and bring Kane, Sancho. CB and CDM?
Eh...
:mad: :(

romufc

It has to be CDM.

Matic will be a year older, no way we can go into a season with just Fred / McTominay in that role.

I think we can get away with not signing a CB if we can get a really good CDM who can pass.

Dan_F

If Ole sees Pogba as a left sided player, it’s midfield and it’s not even close. We’ve basically got three players for those two positions, unless you include VDB, who is never going to be trusted their against half decent opponents.

Varane would be a great addition for the prices been quoted at the moment, simply because it also allows us to go out and buy in two other positions (as long as we can bring in some money too).

Grylte

It's between CB and DM, personally I'd go for CB because Lindelof is not a leader and an injury to Maguire kills the team. Our CB depth is appalling (DM just as bad), but I've watched enough of Lindelof to know that he won't make the step up, his weakness in the air kills us. It's a clear area of improvement that we need fixing immediately if we're serious about winning trophies.

To be honest, our depth across the squad is pretty poor but I feel like we can live with an injury to Greenwood or Rashford. It's vital we get a CB and DM in this window.
Agree that Lindelöf needs an upgrade, but as i said over, our CBs will look much better with a better DM in front of them, more so than the other way around.
That's why i think DM needs to be top priority, with CB next.

I hope Amad kan take the step up and be rotated with Greenwood on the RW, and with Cavani/Martial/Greenwood (worst case Rashford or Bruno false9), i don't want us to spunk £100+++ million on Kane.
Had Kane been 24-25, sure, but the price for his age is shit value, and i'd rather we use Cavani now and go for Håland next summer. (Håland is how Haaland is written in Norway, but we can use 2 As instead of Å. Fun fact of the day for you, princess.)

Get a proper DM with pace and grit, a quicker CB, backup RB, and i think we're in a decent position next year.

Rocknrolla69er

Post #251
Your right must of missed that one pal.

Huge money troubles I agree with Rozay lets bully Barca into selling De Jong, I saw a 70m euro fee bandied about. If theyl sign Depay they'd take Martial off our hands

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Agree that Lindelöf needs an upgrade, but as i said over, our CBs will look much better with a better DM in front of them, more so than the other way around.
That's why i think DM needs to be top priority, with CB next.

I hope Amad kan take the step up and be rotated with Greenwood on the RW, and with Cavani/Martial/Greenwood (worst case Rashford or Bruno false9), i don't want us to spunk £100+++ million on Kane.
Had Kane been 24-25, sure, but the price for his age is shit value, and i'd rather we use Cavani now and go for Håland next summer. (Håland is how Haaland is written in Norway, but we can use 2 As instead of Å. Fun fact of the day for you, princess.)

Get a proper DM with pace and grit, a quicker CB, backup RB, and i think we're in a decent position next year.
I don't think a DM fixes Lindelofs weaknesses though. That's not going to help him against strong CFs that out muscle him in the air, which happens in the league on a constant basis. He's the main weak link in our defense right now, he's a good option for a team aspiring to finish in the Top 4, but for a team wanting to win titles it's just not happening with him at the back, he gives away far too many goals and who else do we have at the back? Bailly, a sick note that when he does make it on the pitch fumbles about and makes dumb mistakes or Tuanzebe who is still a very raw talent despite his age and has injury issues himself. CB is a very, very weak position in our squad. Midfield isn't any better, our attacking lineup is much better than our defensive one.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Manuel Locatelli would be a great adition: a very composed midfielder and did another solid season. Sassuolo is not in a position to bargain that much, as most clubs outside EPL are in need of balancing their finances due to Covid, even though Sassuolo is well managed.

DomM

Players out: Matic, Mata, Telles.
None of the above three are good enough, you could say plenty other players are not good enough either but you can't sell everyone at once.
Good upgrades on the above, including Sancho, make the overall squad alot healthier.

Grylte

I don't think a DM fixes Lindelofs weaknesses though. That's not going to help him against strong CFs that out muscle him in the air, which happens in the league on a constant basis. He's the main weak link in our defense right now, he's a good option for a team aspiring to finish in the Top 4, but for a team wanting to win titles it's just not happening with him at the back, he gives away far too many goals and who else do we have at the back? Bailly, a sick note that when he does make it on the pitch fumbles about and makes dumb mistakes or Tuanzebe who is still a very raw talent despite his age and has injury issues himself. CB is a very, very weak position in our squad. Midfield isn't any better, our attacking lineup is much better than our defensive one.
Won't fix his weaknesses, but with the defense better protected, his weaknesses won't hurt us as much or often.
As i said, i agree we need an upgrade on him, but DM is more important, and a bigger upgrade, which is what this thread is about :)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Won't fix his weaknesses, but with the defense better protected, his weaknesses won't hurt us as much or often.
As i said, i agree we need an upgrade on him, but DM is more important, and a bigger upgrade, which is what this thread is about :)
Respectfully disagree. :)

Josep Dowling

Players out: Matic, Mata, Telles.
None of the above three are good enough, you could say plenty other players are not good enough either but you can't sell everyone at once.
Good upgrades on the above, including Sancho, make the overall squad alot healthier.
Who replaces Telles as a backup LB? No need to replace him as he isn’t a starter.

Matic and Mata on the other hand shouldn’t be playing for us anymore and it’s ridiculous they still have contracts.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A lot of the DM vs CB debate possibly depends on the type of CB we want to sign.

Some people are imagining that we sign a CB who very much isn't Lindelof, strong in all the areas he's weak. In which case a CB would probably have the most direct impact on how our team plays.

However, we have also been linked with CBs like Pau Torres, who is very talented from everything I've seen but much more in the Lindelof mold than a lot of posters here would probably like. If that's the type of CB the club actually want though then a DM probably becomes a more important. Because I don't think that type of CB signing will really function in our team without more control in midfield, whereas I do think a DM could perform to a high level even with the CBs we have now behind him.

Grylte

Going for RW fix. Lot more potential availabilities in DM and CB to consider.
RW fix (Sancho) will be much more expensive, and we will have less money, if any, left for the other positions.

Shark

@NotShark
I still think we need a striker badly. Cavani while class can't be expected to lead the line for a sustainable amount of time next season if we're serious about the title and Martial is what we all know at this point, unreliable. Then add a RW and a DM that can actually pass a ball also unlike Fred.

TheGodsInRed

A lot of the goals we concede are from set pieces as we know, and some of them are due to the midfielders getting beaten in the air, so I wouldn't blame it all on the defence.

Lindelof can definitely be improved upon, but there aren't that many decent proven CBs around that stand out to me.

Sometimes there is talent available that you just have to put your name in for whether really needed or not.

I'd go CDM > RW (only it Sancho)> CF (only if Haaland/Kane) > CB.

If we can't get Sancho, Haaland or Kane though I would go prioritise CDM>CB>CF>RW.

Diabovermelho

Ole said earlier in the season that we have depth in midfield: "We have plenty of 6's, plenty of 8's, plenty of 10's". Based on that logic, it's unlikely we spend a lot of money on a DM.

From the club's point of view, we have:
Capable of playing as DM: Matic, Scott, Fred and we can bring Garner for more depth.
Capable of playing as 8: Pogba, Scott, VDB, Fred.

That's 5-6 players for like 2 positions. That's why signing a DM is not higher on the priority list for the club (wrongly imo, because Matic is our only real DM, and his legs are gone).

I'm affraid our only hope of bringing a DM is if West Ham accepts Lingard as part of the Rice deal. If not, then we are likely not bringing a DM this summer, because the money available will be spent elsewhere (Sancho, CB).

DomM

Who replaces Telles as a backup LB? No need to replace him as he isn’t a starter.

Matic and Mata on the other hand shouldn’t be playing for us anymore and it’s ridiculous they still have contracts.
From what I have seen Telles isn't really any good, his defending is pretty poor and he gets caught out of position far too often, we could probably play Williams there and maybe promote Laird to the squad to cover AWB.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ole said earlier in the season that we have depth in midfield: "We have plenty of 6's, plenty of 8's, plenty of 10's". Based on that logic, it's unlikely we spend a lot of money on a DM.

From the club's point of view, we have:
Capable of playing as DM: Matic, Scott, Fred and we can bring Garner for more depth.
Capable of playing as 8: Pogba, Scott, VDB, Fred.

That's 5-6 players for like 2 positions. That's why signing a DM is not higher on the priority list for the club (wrongly imo, because Matic is our only real DM, and his legs are gone).

I'm affraid our only hope of bringing a DM is if West Ham accepts Lingard as part of the Rice deal. If not, then we are likely not bringing a DM this summer, because the money available will be spent elsewhere (Sancho, CB).
You may be right. DM is the only position we've hardly had any reliable links with. You mention Rice but the only reliable link about him is that we are exploring the option of using Lingard to get him which doesn't exactly mean we are going to push hard for him.

We've seen other DMs like Locatelli and Bissouma reliably linked with other clubs and not a mention of us even just for clicks. For me that's a big sign we don't see DM as a priority. Last season we also needed a DM and Partey was available, no mention of us going for him or any other DM. Also Romano stated quite a while ago this season that we want a CB and RB and a midfielder would only be if Pogba leaves
I think Ole rates both Mctominay and Fred and sees that he can also use Pogba in the double pivot.

ST is sorted with Cavani. Every reliable report has said we want to get Sancho and CB has also been said to be a priority. That's going to cost about 120-140m and practically the transfer budget gone. So it looks like the best we can hope for at DM is a cheap punt. We've been linked to that Amarrabi whose price tag is 15m

Grylte

It's all good, i'm convinced you're wrong and I guarantee you that we will sign a CB first. Hopefully Varane, that would be my choice. None of this young CB with potential nonsense.
Agree, Varane is a good choice.
I haven't watched him much, but as far as i know, he's very quick, and he has tons of experience.
Think Solskjær likes to mix youth with experience.

Can he play DM, though!?==?#¤ :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Cannot believe the CB position has the least number of votes

Far too many FM fans here

matsdf

Havig let Upamecano slide so easily, I don't really think we're in for a CB. Maybe we are postive we can get deals done with either Varane or Torres, but that doesn't seem too likely either. Now we're not really linked with any DM's either, so what the heck do I know. Sancho will come though, that I'm pretty confident on.

Grylte

Think 2 of 3 positions is doable. RW=CB>DM
I have a lot of faith in youth, and hope Amad can get a lot of playtime next season.
I'm also a bit too optimistic at times :)

Redlyn

Went for DM, next is CB. We have enough fire power up front to make it work but defence wins titles and a solid DM who can protect the back 4 very well and create from deep is crucial followed by a top CB. We all know the impact vvd and Diaz had on their respective team's seasons.

Both at a minimum this summer I feel.
Before RW and ST a distant last. Throw in RB as well in 5th place because AWB does my nuts in.

Devil may care

I'm hoping the lack of midfield links is down to the fact they aren't as click bait worthy as the Sancho, Kane and Haaland stories. If Ole can't see how bad our midfield is, not to mention the lack of depth there, then feck help us next season.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
A press resistant CM is crucial IMO. We have so many CMs that shit themselves against a good pressing side like Liverpool or City.