Priority Signing: CB vs DM vs RW vs Striker

What position do we need to fill the most? (If you could only fill one)

• Total voters

Devil may care

Above is our team with the 4 key positions that remain unsorted left empty and the hope that Pogba stays. Now we know that there's no way our board will buy Ole starting quality players in 4 different positions and that the budget is likely limited to one big signing, so which position do we plough the big fee into?

CB - Recently Maguire and Lindelof have been playing solidly but many of us feel we need a pacey, athletic CB to partner Maguire long term, of course Axel is still here and we are in talks with Bailly over a new contract. Depth in this position is fine but quality and reliability are question marks.

DM - Matic is past it and the McFred thing can't continue next season if the team is to progress, both are box to box workhorse's who are very mediocre on the ball, neither are holding midfielders that can anchor the team and give Pogba more attacking freedom in the double pivot.

RW - We have an exceptional young talent in Mason who is plying his trade out there as he matures but it's probably not seen as his long term position, and we've got Dan James who is the McFred of wingers and Amad who looks talented but is an unknown quantity.

Striker - it's looking like Cavani will leave and his fitness issues have meant we haven’t gotten much from the signing. That leaves us with Martial who has had a very poor season and Mason who is still learning to play #9 at senior level. The problem with this position is the lack of quality options to sign.

Could we get a poll @Damien @golden_blunder please. :)

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me its CDM.

We need a ST for sure but I feel like a CDM can enable us to play Pogba and Bruno together in midfield whilst possibly using VDb as a shadow striker that tries to play inbetween Rashford and Greenwood- atleast until January. Alternatively, VDB can swap with Bruno to have Bruno as a false 9 whilst VDB plays as a CM in partnership with Pogba - protected by the CDM.

The CDM arguably provides the defensive stability that Maguire & Lindelof need in front of them too instead of a new CB.

The goals can come from Bruno (or VDB) playing as our forward inbetween a more narrow Rashford and Greenwood. It allows us to be more attacking by being less reliant on 2 box to box midfielders doing a single CDM'S job.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

We need a striker unless Greenwood can convince in that role by the end of the season. Martial doesnt seem to have the hunger to be a top player.

Kag

Striker. This season has confirmed that and I don’t even think it’s up for debate anymore. We lack a killer up top and Martial and Rashford, in spite of their many positives, are not that.

I think we need all four, ultimately. A midfielder that can pass a ball would closely follow a striker.

Had you asked me this time last year I’d have said a right winger but if money is tight then we bleed in Amad and continue to play Greenwood there. Bigger issues today.

laughtersassassin

Assuming Pogba Stays:
Tier 1 (Must buy) - CDM & Striker/Attacker
Tier 2 - CB & Backup RB

If Pogba goes:
Tier 1- CDM, CM, Striker/Attacker
Tier 2- CB & Backup RB

Very realistic imo. 2 starters must be signed if we keep Pogba and 3 if we don't.

I really think CDM is very clearly much more important than CB right now.

My Ideal Somewhat Realistic summer:
In: Halaand & Rice
Approx 200 Mil

Out: Matic, Lingard, Andreas, Dalot, Jones, Mata
Approx: 40 mil

Net: 160mil

I'd sell De Gea to get this down if a good bid came in

Look-a-Hill

If Haaland is available, him. If not, right wing. Having a solid starter at RW (I.e. Sancho) let's Rashford, Greenwood and Martial share LW and ST and I don't mind that. Hopefully Haaland becomes an option the year after and we have a shot then.

DM/ST are about equal in terms of need. Depends who can be brought in. I'd snap Haaland or Kane in a heartbeat over anyone else but unlikely. Likewise if there was a Fabinho/Fernandinho out there, but I'm not sure there is?

CB is the least priority for me as we're pretty solid defensively as it is. Not worth splashing massively on something that isn't needed desperately.

Reactions: Jippy

Matthew84!

How many threads for the same question?
No point having a solid defence if our attackers play like they've been blindfolded,
Haaland then buy rice, if money available

M Bison

Supports
York City
RW for me. Unless Ole thinks Amad is ready then we absolutely have to bring a winger in. Greenwood needs to play through the middle in my view.

Those calling for a CM I think will be disappointed, I can’t see us going in for a CM with McFred plus VdB, although could change if Pogba leaves.

I do think there’s a good chance of a CD coming in though, despite us looking reasonably solid there of late, there’s a lack of options and players to choose from.

wolvored

For me its CDM.

We need a ST for sure but I feel like a CDM can enable us to play Pogba and Bruno together in midfield whilst possibly using VDb as a shadow striker that tries to play inbetween Rashford and Greenwood- atleast until January. Alternatively, VDB can swap with Bruno to have Bruno as a false 9 whilst VDB plays as a CM in partnership with Pogba - protected by the CDM.

The CDM arguably provides the defensive stability that Maguire & Lindelof need in front of them too instead of a new CB.

The goals can come from Bruno (or VDB) playing as our forward inbetween a more narrow Rashford and Greenwood. It allows us to be more attacking by being less reliant on 2 box to box midfielders doing a single CDM'S job.
Yes agree with that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
More important than position is the player. Striker isn’t necessarily the most important, but Haaland is the most important. If not him, then another position altogether.

There’s also probably little point in listing the midfield as there seems to be no indication that the club is targeting this kind of player. All the noises coming from the club seem to suggest that they see Scott McTominay as some sort of new Roy Keane anyway. We’ll probably just play him with a view to him being a long term starter.

abkmufc92

RW
ST
CM
CB

In that order

We produce feck all from the right side of the pitch, prioritising a striker over a right winger when we don't create enough chances would be fecking stupid.

abkmufc92

Striker. Goals win games.
You do realize that a team needs to create chances for a striker to score right.

How is a team with no right winger going to help this new striker score goals.

OleBoiii

I don't care if the goals come from the center or flanks, as long as we have a consistent top class goalscorer. Haaland is my preferred choice, though.

As for CB vs DM: I'd go for the latter, easily. I don't think Lindelöf is great, but we desperately need someone to control our midfield.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Given I don't expect Haaland to be available I'd go RW.

We struggle to create against the low block so adding Sancho creativity makes the most sense to me. Allows Greenwood and Martial to share the ST spot, which isn't the end of the world as Martial surely can't be as bad again next season, and if he is I'd back Greenwood to improve anyway simply due to maturing more.

CB doesn't seem as urgent lately so if we are truly limited to 1 signing it would have to be an attacker for me.

Redlyn

ST, DM, RW, CB, RB
In that order. I really hope we can sort out the first 3 this summer somehow. We need to find value in the market.

KD6-3.7

RW, CDM, ST, CB in that order for me.

I honestly couldn’t go another season without us not signing a first team player for the RW.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
ST without a shadow of a doubt. I'm not sure how any one can not think that after the impact a twilight years Cavani had. We've been missing a proper striker since Zlatan and even he was meant to be a stop gap.

redrobed

CB shouldn’t even be in the argument imo. A Maguire and Lindelof partnership is the least of our problems. Feel we can get by with Fred/McTominay. RW we just don’t have anyone and actually, come the transfer window, we don’t have a striker worthy of consideration given these constant short term solutions. I can’t choose between a striker and a RW - we desperately need both.

Cman

If Haaland can be got then it has to be ST. If not then prob Sancho. Think it’s more important to bring 2 class players that will walk into our starting 11 than just filling the position that need filling. If we could get either Haaland or Sancho it would improve our attack instantly. If we then brought in a top class CB or CDM it improves us at the other end. I have no idea who that would be though.
What I would love to see happening is that our new DoF gets on the front foot and gets Sancho in early. This should be very possible as player wants to come and Dortmund sound like they are ready to sell.
This may have a knock on effect that Haaland doesn’t move until the following year. I’m sure that Dortmund won’t have a problem getting him to sign a new contract on much better wages with a much higher release clause.

CM10

A forward is essential whether that comes in the form of a striker or right winger. If either of Sancho or Haaland become available then those are deals you have to do.

Realistically it does also depend on what happens with new contracts, though. If Pogba goes we are in desperate need of a creative midfielder. Likewise, if Cavani leaves there is a much more pressing need for a striker.

Abraxas

I would say the positions listed are all rightfully mentioned as an issue. So it's got to come down to prioritising, depending on who is available and what is going to make the biggest impact on the team. As there's no chance we'll have enough funds or probably even the right options available to solve more than a couple.

It might be that a striker would make the biggest impact as we really don't have a great option that consistently scores goals and does everything else we want. It's hard to compete on all fronts when you only get bits and pieces out of your striker.

But if you can only get your 4th choice striker but you can get a top winger or central mid, then it calls into question which is better. So I think it's going to be very situational, all things being equal I would say a striker followed by a central mid.

CB can probably go another year, we have Greenwood and potentially Diallo on the right which is very light but there's hope there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Biggest positional need is RW. We have strikers in Cavani/Martial and Greenwood with massive potential. Right wing we have James, Greenwood out of position having little impact or Amad as potential (further away than Greenwood as striker). CB is alright but nothing special but manageable. Same with midfield.

Then we look at players available... right wing and striker have standout, world class u21 players who will be on the move in Haaland and Sancho, and they'd fit perfectly. Midfield has nobody obvious, same with CB.

caid

I think i'd want to change our goalkeeper and defensive midfielder before our cb's. Partly because i dont see any obvious upgrades available for cb.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The last 2 seasons have shown we have goals in the side, even without a world class #9 or an actual RW

A world class CB should negate the need for a DM plus we've never played with a DM before anyway (feck off anyone who says Roy Keane, seriously feck off right now don't even think about replying) so for me id go

1 - CB
2 - CF/RW - they're both needed equally
3 - CM

The above depends on who leaves in the summer though as if Pogba goes id put a RW ahead of a CF and maybe even a CB as we'll need the extra creativity. It also depends on who's available in the summer, if you can get Haaland now and it means no CB then you'd be stupid not to especially if there's no outstanding CB's available

paulscholes18

DM, RW, ST, CB
If you look at the games we haven’t scored in it’s been because of a lack of chances created not because of poor finishing, even if we had Haaland up front don’t think it would have mattered as we created next to nothing for our central striker.
A DM who can get pass the ball between the lines quickly to Bruno or the wingers should be the priority as McFred take too long and not good enough in that regard.

VivaRonaldo85

We need a ruthless centre forward who bleeds goals no matter how ugly they come. Then this team can absolutely contend for the title in my opinion. Haaland is the dream signing above any other.

Abraxas

We need a ruthless centre forward who bleeds goals no matter how ugly they come. Then this team can absolutely contend for the title in my opinion. Haaland is the dream signing above any other.
I'm still not sure we'd be title challengers. As the above poster rightly points out, as much as we do sometimes miss chances and a striker would potentially increase our efficiency, especially with those crosses that nobody attacks, there's a lot of stodgy displays where we struggle to get the ball forward quickly enough and the striker isn't in the game at all.

It doesn't look like we're just a striker away from being a top side in possession and in terms of creation. Something else is lacking. We do need to do a bit more to give whoever is up there the chance to bag 2 or 3 goals and kill sides.

I think even a Haaland may be potentially surprised at how hard work it is up top for us. He'd get goals undoubtedly but to be killing teams comfortably like City do, I don't think it's a one transfer solution.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
There are some fascinating comments on here as to where we should upgrade first, and all have their merits. Personally, I would get our defence sorted, so a CB for me.
A fit Bailly is perfect, but then we wonder how many games he would be fit for. Lindelof was exceptional on Thursday, but Milan had no strikers playing, and screened by McFred, there was not a great deal the defence had to do, but what they did was pretty much perfect, but against Vardy, Calvert Lewin, Giroud, Werner etc, will they be as good? Bailly gives that bit of insurance that one ball over the top wouldn't necessarily cause us massive problems. I would love Tuanzebe to get more minutes, as the only way we would know if he was good enough would be for him to play, but when would he get the chance? A few minutes every half a dozen games is not enough really.
The problem that the club has, is that we're not sure which of our outstanding academy players will make the transition to first team, and for me the outstanding player from the academy is Hannibal. I think he will get some starts for the first team next season. Garner, Levitt, Galbraith, Laird, Mengi, Bernard, Kovar, Hugill, Elanga, Pellistri, Shoretire, McNeill and of course Amad, could all make their mark over the next two to three years, so do we wait for some of those to 'make it', or do we upgrade this summer?

Redfrog

I would like all 4 positions obviously.

But being realistic, attack is the priority for me as it is the less stocked position. With a RW and a striker we could have enough creativity and killer instinct. And most importantly we will not have to run Rashford to the ground and could rotate a fair bit.

Even if I would like a Carrick type in the midfield to keep the ball and dictate the tempo (and not a water carrier as a lot want to sign from what I read) we are well stocked in midfield if Pogba stays, even if it is not perfect.

A top class center back would be nice too, but it will be very hard to find I feel and we are well stocked too with 4 defenders available most of the time ( well 3 if we don't count Bailly) and Maguire playing every game anyway.

Macedonian Red

We must to balanced between St/Rw and Cb/Dm but I think attack should be priority. In this moment i will say Rw but if Cavani leaves I think St should be first choice.

My opionion is if we buy Dm, our defence will be better too. So if we dont have money for both position I think Cb should wait instead of Dm.

I'll be happy with 3 players, 2 attackers (St and Rw) and one defensive player (Cb/Dm).
Dont forget, we dont have second right back too, but far from priority atm.

RobertoBaggio99

I’m sure that Dortmund won’t have a problem getting him to sign a new contract on much better wages with a much higher release clause.
Makes zero sense. Dortmund isn't anywhere near as financially strong as clubs like Real, PSG and Man Utd. Any salary Dortmund can afford to offer, other clubs can double. Even if you ignore the financial aspect why would Haaland want to commit his future to a club who's currently 5th in Bundesliga en route to Europa League football?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Personally I think our lack of a creative winger (and any real right winger at all) makes our midfield look worse than it actually is. Having a proper creative force on that wing would stretch the play, create space, and provide more opportunities for our other attackers. In so many games you can see the opposition overload their right side of midfield and defence as they know we don't have much threat down the other side, and we end up just passing the ball around with nothing happening. It regularly happens even with Pogba in our midfield so it's not just on McFred (although obviously they could be improved as well). I think McFred with a good creative right winger would give us more control and creativity than Pogba with a classic DM would, plus of course we can also play Pogba plus one of McFred in easier games.

As such, RW and ST are pretty much equally important for me. RW should be higher priority, but with Martial's woes and Haaland perhaps being available it makes ST right up there.